homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Online Adoration (monk-free, this time) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Online Adoration (monk-free, this time)
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little while ago I was able to find links to a couple of sites providing online webcam worship of our Lord in His Most Blessed Sacrament.

This service was once provided by an order of devout monks who alas no longer seem to be with us [Frown] but was eagerly watched by many in Ecclesiantics in their day-to-day life.

I can now no longer find the other site that was available either, but I have found Saviour.org, a Roman Catholic site apparently dedicated to this very purpose ('Jesus is our CEO', apparently).

Deserves its own thread, no?

Feel free to share or to provide any other resources for online Adoration. Our blessed Lord will be the same, but we can always compare monstrances...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not real presence but mediated presence?
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear, dj_o, that watching that link will be a little less exciting than those happy heady days of monk-watching [Waterworks]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there something else couple of weeks ago?

It looked really real to me then and had flowers that looked so real they would need changing; giving the possibility of a screen capture of a "flower lady" (of either gender or both) doing said changing and arranging...if not actual munx...

IIRC

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clicking around the site - it would be nunz, not munx. Blessings on them!

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking in for a hit if MBS at 12:45AM, Weds, Nov 28:

I see the curtain or dossal behind the monstrance has been changed to all white.The monstrance itself appears to have spiky metal points affixed at random, odd angles, no doubt to represent in moderne fashion, spiky, odd, random rays of grace? power? glory? A very 1950s style piece of work..

Gerry Schrack's flowers are holding up well.

Unfortunately, the bare, direct flood lighting casts dark, rather lugubrious shadows from all those objects onto the background curtain.That does make the whole scene decidedly haunting or unsettling to watch for long.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Wasn't there something else couple of weeks ago?

It looked really real to me then and had flowers that looked so real they would need changing; giving the possibility of a screen capture of a "flower lady" (of either gender or both) doing said changing and arranging...if not actual munx...

IIRC

Yes there was, I think the church was called St. Martin's and may have been in Kentucky, but I've not been able to relocate it.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dj-o, here's a link to the St Martin of Tours website in Louisville KY. The place is quite extraordinary, and not just in its rites!

st martin of tours

Click on worship and then on Adoration Chapel from the pull-down. Note: today it seems to come up blank, but I've seen it often.

And don't miss the coverage of their re-interment of relics of their two Roman saints -- complete skeletons, no less.

Everything is extraordinary!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Ah yes, thank you georgiaboy!

That was the one I meant but like you the link Adoration link didn't seem to go anywhere...

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh! They have changed the flowers!
It now looks like 2 pot plants now. Perhaps we shall see someone watering them...

--------------------

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the Martin of Tours site and watched it a lot when it was first linked to on the other thread. It is so peaceful and calming. I kept the window open and looked at it for a few moments every so often.

Haven't seen it for a couple of weeks as I have not had internet access.

The candles and flowers are changed regularly and I keep hoping I will see someone doing it.

There is something about it being live that makes it meaningful. I just sit and watch the screen. Or maybe I am just a sad git who should get a life.

I can only get the picture in Google Chrome. IE9 just puts a little image icon in the top right of the screen. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

[ 29. November 2012, 07:07: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Candles renewed, same bl--dy pot plants.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

New light green leafy pot plants for Lent.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is something very stilling about pausing for a moment to see this.

I have to say it does raise questions with me too, like what happens on Good Friday?

How often is the Sacrament 'renewed'...

But maybe 'these are foolish questions'!

It is a simple and kind ministry they offer the world.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Ooooh...orchids!
Perfect.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Candles replaced.
More orchids flowering.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that like palms for today!

What fun!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Look at all that ...nothing!

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

He is risen!
With great big new candles.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Jolly, jolly! Fun to see the change - at least we know its live!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

11 blooms now!

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

New flowers, new vases!

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just reminiscing about our Munx of Adoration by way of the Wayback Machine. One can still hear the sort of Sprechstimme with which the offices were recited here (right-click and download the mp3 for each office), and one can still see a static image from the live cam of the Blessed Sacrament. If you explore other dates at the top, you can find other images as well.
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Oh dear - back to greenery!
But lovely big candles!

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Oh roses!
In such a beautiful cream-apricot shade!
Perfect for May - Mary's month!
(see Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem)

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Fifty shades of white...

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Very lovely - and most appropriate for this Corpus Christi octave so thanks for bumping the thread up [Smile]

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, for one day only, visit St Chrysostom's.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Oh....the flowers...
all is silence and golden...
Thank you, Q

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Ah yes, thanks!

Lovely.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I remember those golden days of old, waiting for a monk to appear, and the excitement such apparitions always aroused!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss the munx - I still have the screen grabs.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I, Ann. I just can't bear to delete them from my favorites list. [Frown]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long may they live. May their adoration, in whichever way, endure forever. [Votive] [Angel]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The flowers are a bit droopy today. The pot on the left in particular needs replaced.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

It's getting worse...do you think we should mail them?

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Now *that* is a lovely shade of gold...with ferns. Aussie colours actually...

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Back to greenery...
Happy to see those extra-shiny brass bowls back though - so round...

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

More chrysanthemums!
How pretty!
I wonder if they are home grown?

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

I just saw the back-of-the-head of a male person in front of the monstrance!!!
It's real! It's live!
They are really *there*!!

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Ooh!
Minimalist!
Fully open orchids!

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

What a beautiful shade of orangey-gold and how well it goes with the Monstrance!

--------------------

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been to Benediction many times, and to Mass. I don't look at the Blessed Sacrament; I have never looked at Benediction and have not looked up at Mass for many years. I stopped looking a decade or so ago when the priest at our church started saying the Eucharistic prayer with his hands outstretched to either side, and I got used to not looking.

I only look when I am holding the Host in my hand, so that I don't drop it.

But it is lovely to see this image online. It is a real gift.

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ACR, with that level of respect for the most blessed sacrament, I'm surprised you don't receive directly on the tongue.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be a strange way of expressing respect. Hands made by God to do God's work are surely holy enough to hold the Blessed Sacrament; as holy as the tongue anyway.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

What are you worried about?
Stare at anything long enough with an open and concentrated enough mind and you'll "get religion".

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
That would be a strange way of expressing respect.

Well, for some maybe, but not for others. Those who do receive only on the tongue do so out of respect, I understand. Why else would they do it?

I always receive in the hand, unless the custom of the church is otherwise. But my point was linked to ACR's insistence on not even *looking* at the sacrament. I have to say that this is the first time I'd ever heard of anyone avoiding looking at the sacrament.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
That would be a strange way of expressing respect.

Well, for some maybe, but not for others. Those who do receive only on the tongue do so out of respect, I understand. Why else would they do it?

I understand that too. But have they thought about what they are doing? Sticking one's tongue out at somebody is usually considered the opposite of respect.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Yes, it does look strange, I'll give you that. Isn't there also a likelihood that the priest's fingers will touch someone's tongue - not great for hygiene!

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

No worse than breadcrumbs left by those of the intinction persuasion...RevC and I had half a chalice each last week ...
A large group Very Reformed from Holland had turned up and wouldn't participate - when will we learn NOT to take them into account in the initial pouring out?
And a medium-sized group of Scots, some of whom were "uncomfortable with the Common Cup".
I know rationally I can rely on the silver plate and 14% alcohol in combination but it's still "icky"

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016