homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Miscellaneous questions of a liturgical nature (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Miscellaneous questions of a liturgical nature
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:

I do remember reading in the book about Canon Brian Brindley, formerly of Holy Trinity, Reading, entitled "Loose Canon" that after his reception into the RC church he had come across this practice in RC churches either Spain or Portugal, I forget which.

Yes, I have encountered it in Spain (though I rather wish I hadn't...)

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Whole wheat hosts: An abomination or the preferred item?

Seems fine to me. Especially when using real bread, as is the True Anglican Way, and not those little wafers.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
In this day and age, why even say the word "epistle" at all? Modern <something or other>

What is this modernity of which you speak?

In this day and age the introduction certainly can be:
quote:
A reading from the Epistle of Blessed Paul the Apostle to the <x>
where your <x> can the be addressee any one of the seven certain Pauline epistles—or should I say letters?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
21stcenturyAnglican
Apprentice
# 17197

- Posted      Profile for 21stcenturyAnglican     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Another one of my pet hates is of CDs of modern religious music being played during communion at Mass, which also happens at my RC parish. Once again, this doesn't invalidate the Mass and I'm sure some people like, but I'm not sure if the GIRM endorses this...I suspect not!!!!!

It doesn't invalidate the mass.... but what's wrong with a bit of silence? The silence is one of the reasons I like midweek services...

--------------------
If you want, check out the blog of an Anglican Seminarian.

http://21stcenturyanglican.wordpress.com/

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 21stcenturyAnglican:
what's wrong with a bit of silence? The silence is one of the reasons I like midweek services...

Nowt wrong with a bit of silence. But that is easier to achieve in a small midweek mass. On a Sunday, there is going to be the distraction of much shuffling of feet, movement of things and people, not to mention the probably inevitable whispering etc. Some churches try to cover it up by singing a hymn or two, but as most of the congregation will be en route to or from, or at, the altar that could be a bit pathetic. If you have a choir, and it's capable of performing an anthem, that partly solves the problem, but then you have to sort the logistics of how they will receive communion. All in all, playing some appropriate recorded music (Taizé chants are good) seems a sensible idea. I can't understand the objections.

What I would do is to play the music until all have received communion, then the priest and assistants sit down and all keep silence for two or more minutes.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Especially when using real bread, as is the True Anglican Way, and not those little wafers.

Define 'real bread', ken. Go into any supermarket and there will be dozens of different types of bread. Who is to say that wafers are any less 'real' than any other sort?

I agree with you about the 'little' wafers though. Sheer individualism. As are the pre-cut cubes of Mother's Pride beloved of old-fashioned evangelical churches. One large wafer, or one bread roll, to be broken and shared: that's what makes most sense.

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Especially when using real bread, as is the True Anglican Way, and not those little wafers.

Define 'real bread', ken. Go into any supermarket and there will be dozens of different types of bread. Who is to say that wafers are any less 'real' than any other sort?

I agree with you about the 'little' wafers though. Sheer individualism. As are the pre-cut cubes of Mother's Pride beloved of old-fashioned evangelical churches. One large wafer, or one bread roll, to be broken and shared: that's what makes most sense.

Unleavened bread (in this case, hosts) are certainly real bread. It is well nigh impossible to break a large altar Host into hundreds of Pieces (or even thousands, at some Masses). Additionally, for those of us who believe in the Real Presence in the Sacrament, there are many concerns about fragments of the Body being scattered about. [Eek!]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As someone wiser than I once said on the Ship:

Why do you have trouble with the concept of transubstantion if you can believe that one of those wafers is real bread?

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
As someone wiser than I once said on the Ship:

Why do you have trouble with the concept of transubstantion if you can believe that Hovis is real bread?

John

Fixed.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
It is well nigh impossible to break a large altar Host into hundreds of Pieces (or even thousands, at some Masses). Additionally, for those of us who believe in the Real Presence in the Sacrament, there are many concerns about fragments of the Body being scattered about. [Eek!]

OK, when really large numbers are involved individual hosts might be a reasonable compromise. I have seen hosts big enough for about 70 people, but the most commonly available large ones serve 24; ISTM better to use a few of these than just one plus lots of small ones. Unless one expects the president to break up the whole lot personally, usually for large congregations there are several ministers who each could do this. Fragments or crumbs are not a serious problem in my experience, provided a large enough paten is used.

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Most of the stuff in British supermarkets is not real bread. It's a high-sugar, high-fat, bland-tasting mass-produced chemical concoction that is used to rescue inferior wheat that would otherwise be destined for animal feed. It's a national disease that the Brits put up with a bread substitute that is virtually unmarketable in the USA.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 21stcenturyAnglican:
what's wrong with a bit of silence? The silence is one of the reasons I like midweek services...

Nowt wrong with a bit of silence. But that is easier to achieve in a small midweek mass. On a Sunday, there is going to be the distraction of much shuffling of feet, movement of things and people, not to mention the probably inevitable whispering etc. Some churches try to cover it up by singing a hymn or two, but as most of the congregation will be en route to or from, or at, the altar that could be a bit pathetic. If you have a choir, and it's capable of performing an anthem, that partly solves the problem, but then you have to sort the logistics of how they will receive communion.
It has been the practice in every parish I've been in that had a choir that the choir received before the rest of the congregation to allow them to return to their pews and sing while everyone else was receiving.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many churches are dedicated to some event or title in the life of Christ. For events we have the Church of the Nativity, the Church of the Transfiguration, the Church of the Ascension, and so on. And for titles we see stuff like the Church of Christ the King or the Church of the Redeemer. Does anyone know of churches dedicated to some more obscure Dominical mystery or title?

The Church of the Circumcision?
The Church of the Descent into Hell?
The Church of the Lion of Judah?

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
Many churches are dedicated to some event or title in the life of Christ. For events we have the Church of the Nativity, the Church of the Transfiguration, the Church of the Ascension, and so on. And for titles we see stuff like the Church of Christ the King or the Church of the Redeemer. Does anyone know of churches dedicated to some more obscure Dominical mystery or title?

The Church of the Circumcision?
The Church of the Descent into Hell?
The Church of the Lion of Judah?

I like the last one, it sounds very Rastafarian. (I have a Lion of Judah flag in my living room)

[ 23. August 2013, 18:58: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen plenty of obscure Marian devotions, those to our Lord less so.

The Most Precious Blood turns up of course (Westminster Cathedral, for one). And I've seen Christ the Physician, although which Dominical Mystery it would be dedicated to, or when its Feast of Title would be, I wot not.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Catholic Cathedral in Oakland is Christ the Light.

Prince of Peace is a reasonably common dedication.

[ 23. August 2013, 20:53: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Salesian School in Nazareth has the Church of Jesus Adolescent.
Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I was once vicar of the Church of Christ the Servant.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:
The Salesian School in Nazareth has the Church of Jesus Adolescent.

I like that. Not 'not my will, but thine be done', but 'whaffor? do I have to? I suppose you think you're God!' (to which last the answer comes 'yes, actually').
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
quote:

Most of the stuff in British supermarkets is not real bread.
Clearly.

Did you mean 'most of the purported bread'?

quote:

It's a high-sugar, high-fat, bland-tasting mass-produced chemical concoction that is used to rescue inferior wheat that would otherwise be destined for animal feed. It's a national disease that the Brits put up with a bread substitute that is virtually unmarketable in the USA.

You might care to change supermarket, if that is what you are buying.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I don't want to start a pond war, but my recollection of American 'bread' is an even sweeter and pappier version of Mother's Pride (or Tesco Value). Maybe I went to the wrong supermarkets.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Another one of my pet hates is of CDs of modern religious music being played during communion at Mass, which also happens at my RC parish. Once again, this doesn't invalidate the Mass and I'm sure some people like, but I'm not sure if the GIRM endorses this...I suspect not!!!!!

I've never seen or heard of this being done in an Anglican church of any degree of churchmanship, or in a reformed church such as a Presbyterian or Methodist church. However, perhaps others know differently!!!!!

I do remember reading in the book about Canon Brian Brindley, formerly of Holy Trinity, Reading, entitled "Loose Canon" that after his reception into the RC church he had come across this practice in RC churches either Spain or Portugal, I forget which.

Antiphon is the objection one to having music, or more 'keep music live'. It has long been a very widespread CofE practice for the choir to sing during distribution. This is generally very much appreciated. As others have said, the choir usually receive first so as to enable them to do this.

Otherwise, the organist can play suitable music.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that my objection to CDs being played during Mass is a desire to "keep music live".

As far as I can make out from my research on the web it seems that the basic line of the RC Church is that CDs and other recorded music MAY NOT be played during Mass, but might be tolerated with reservations during children's liturgies. Perhaps another contributor may be able to clarify this?

It is not just a question of the type of music being played; if, for example, a CD of Gregorian Chant by the monks of Solesmes or a recording of an appropriate piece of organ music by JS Bach was played during communion I would be just as doubtful about that as I would be about a recording of, say, Taize chants or songs by the St Louis Jesuits.

It is perhaps the same kind of objection as some people have to "canned" music being played to congregations in funeral parlours. I have also experienced this personally.

It appears that the RC Church normally forbids the use of any kind
of recorded music during Mass, but this doesn't seem stop some priests using it anyway. [Frown]

On the other hand, I don't know if for example the C of E has any specific regulations concerning this, so possibly there is nothing to forbid an Anglican priest from playing CDs at mass and other services if he or she wished to do so.

Perhaps it all boils down to whatever the congregation is willing to tolerate!!!! [Smile]

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PS At my local RC parish church a solo is sometimes sung "live" during communion at the Mass I attend on a Sunday. I certainly have no objection to this. I also used to attend an Anglican church a number of years ago where the choir often would often sing an appropriate piece during communion and would communicate before the rest of the congregation to enable them to do so. I certainly didn't object to this either.

I therefore prefer "live" music, whether vocal or instrumental, at Mass, and this is after all the rule of the church. But then, maybe that's just me being awkward as usual!!!! [Devil]

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

My unease with solos and choir pieces during communion is that they tend to come across as 'performances'. Nothing to my mind should distract from the act of communion; whereas recorded music can be a 'background', secondary to the main event. Some people might find it even more of a distraction than live singers, so in that case, don't use it. Silence, or an anonymous hidden organist twiddling away, might be preferable.

--------------------

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Yes, I think that the best idea for music during communion is :- when in doubt, silence!!!!!! [Smile]
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the 70s at least, rural CoI churches in the Republic would often feature recorded music of the hymns on the board that day, to provide reinforcement (and sometimes replace) the voices of the small congregation. I have encountered U2 in two Anglican churches being played as an aid to pre-service meditation/authorized Xn muzak.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've been spared canned music in Spanish churches-- however, I've generally been in the local version of the backwoods, where they have perhaps not yet advanced to this.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, I think that the best idea for music during communion is :- when in doubt, silence!!!!!! [Smile]

It is not always easy to communicate this to organists. Their function is to fill the church with noise, and very often the moment they return from the altar rail that noise begins again. Sometimes musical, sometimes less so.

I often think it would be nice to have just a few moments more quiet, and then lead into some music which is appropriate to communion, and save the exhibition pieces until the end. But sadly it is often the case that communion seems to be regarded much like the signing the register bit at a wedding; it is the organist's time to shine, regardless of what else is going on.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Anglo Catholic Relict
... organists. Their function is to fill the church with noise, and very often the moment they return from the altar rail that noise begins again. Sometimes musical, sometimes less so.

1. The function of an organist is NOT to fill the church with noise - it is to accompany those parts of the liturgy that require it, to provide appropriate music before a service and afterwards.

2. Any organist who gives you "noise" would be guilty of playing inappropriate music to the place in the liturgy.

3. When you say "noise" are you in fact expressing your own musical prejudice rather than giving an accurate description?

If there is to be singing during the administration of communion it should either be by the choir alone of a suitable motet (an Ave verum corpus, O sacrum convivium, Tantum ergo or similar) or if it is a hymn it should be possible for at least 50% of the congregation to join in.

In places where the number of communicants is small, a brief communion hymn can be sung during the ablutions at the end of communion.

The most inappropriate hymns at communion that I have been asked to play were ALL chosen by clergy - including "Mine eyes have seen the glory ", I kid you not. [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't want to be too sweeping in generalizations ... not all contexts are cathedralesque. Yesterday (Sunday, here) our little pad had a solitary guitar for music - our fourth-string options (not unlike the All Blacks but that's another matter, and the allusion will be wasted here [Roll Eyes] ). My personal preference would have been no hymns, no music, just the racous sound of Top End birdlife, but most people present found his gentle picking during the communion extremely edifying, and edifying is what the good Paul sees as a litmus test for Christian behaviour.

While I'm heading off to another place (no, not that one) soon where I imagine the choirs will pluck the strings of heaven with illustrious post-Reformation European complexities, the gentle notes of a well played instrument can lift the soul to heaven. Even emanating from a digital (or even analogue) source.

Still, thirty years later my favourite communion music was from effectively my (second) "faith community of sending", at which the organist used to play barely discernible improvised variations on a theme, often at the very top register of the small pipe organ, and slowly, ever so slowly as he played this communicant would become aware that the angels were singing.

The worst? My cathedral of ordination, whose director believed all music should rake the fires of a discordant hell until (perhaps) the final amen. That was 25 years ago, too ... but she's only recently retired.

[ 25. August 2013, 20:19: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... On the other hand, I don't know if for example the C of E has any specific regulations concerning this, so possibly there is nothing to forbid an Anglican priest from playing CDs at mass and other services if he or she wished to do so. ...

It's not the sort of thing the CofE has rules about.

The service books prescribe, with a lot of flexibility, what the services must contain, there is case law about what building alterations can and cannot be authorised, and there used to be legal disputes about what a priest may wear and not wear when conducting particular services, though that is much less rigidly prescribed now than it used to be.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
quote:
posted by Anglo Catholic Relict
... organists. Their function is to fill the church with noise, and very often the moment they return from the altar rail that noise begins again. Sometimes musical, sometimes less so.

1. The function of an organist is NOT to fill the church with noise - it is to accompany those parts of the liturgy that require it, to provide appropriate music before a service and afterwards.
Don't tell me. I am not an organist. [Smile]

quote:

2. Any organist who gives you "noise" would be guilty of playing inappropriate music to the place in the liturgy.

I agree. [Smile]

quote:
3. When you say "noise" are you in fact expressing your own musical prejudice rather than giving an accurate description?
Possibly. But I would not call the same music noise either before or after the service. Only at communion.

Communion is different. It calls for a very careful choice of music, imo. But I think there is sometimes a tendency to use music to fill in the gaps, rather than allowing some of those gaps to act as punctuation to the service.

quote:

If there is to be singing during the administration of communion it should either be by the choir alone of a suitable motet (an Ave verum corpus, O sacrum convivium, Tantum ergo or similar) or if it is a hymn it should be possible for at least 50% of the congregation to join in.

In places where the number of communicants is small, a brief communion hymn can be sung during the ablutions at the end of communion.

Those pieces of music would be lovely. I am personally not keen on the congregation singing during or just after communion, because a lot of people are trying to pray.

Worse still is kneeling at the altar rail beside someone who is cheerfully humming or singing along; that is a real challenge.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
Those pieces of music would be lovely. I am personally not keen on the congregation singing during or just after communion, because a lot of people are trying to pray.

YMMV but those need not be mutually exclusive. I find that the low singing of a carefully chosen hymn can be very conducive to prayer during communion.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right, I think it is time for the unreliably attributed to Augustine quote "He who sings prays twice"

The singing and meditation of hymns is a regular spiritual tradition in the English speaking world. There is quite a history of this as a devotional practice. In other words,hymn singing and praying are not mutually exclusive actions but actually very closely tied.

Therefore,the choosing of well known suitable hymns to be played during communion, may be seen not as a hindrance to prayer but an encouragement of it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

But of course it does depend how it's done. I rememeber a an ecumenical Good Friday service a few years ago at the Welsh-medium CinW church I attended then. Lots of Passion hymns of the 'When I survey the Wond'rous Cross' type (in fact, I think that was there, in translation). The CinW 'home team' all sang these rather quietly and meditatively, appropriate to the tone of the occasion as they saw it: but most of the Chapel people roared them out as if they were in the Arms Park, their tradition presumably being that the more you the meant the words, the louder you sang them.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Therefore,the choosing of well known suitable hymns to be played during communion, may be seen not as a hindrance to prayer but an encouragement of it.

Jengie

Quite. But with 'suitable' in bold italics and underlined twice.

--------------------

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
quote:

Jengie

Quite. But with 'suitable' in bold italics and underlined twice.
Agreed.

And I reserve the right to regard anything else as just noise.

I will never be so unAnglican as to say so, but I will think it, and thereby undo more than half the spiritual benefit of being at Communion in the first place. [Smile]

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
Right, I think it is time for the unreliably attributed to Augustine quote "He who sings prays twice"

Indeed so. But he who prays doesn't always want noise to go with it.

I think we are in general very intolerant of silence; perhaps even a bit afraid of it. Every minute does not have to be filled with noise.

quote:

The singing and meditation of hymns is a regular spiritual tradition in the English speaking world. There is quite a history of this as a devotional practice. In other words,hymn singing and praying are not mutually exclusive actions but actually very closely tied.

Not always. [Smile]

There can be a relationship but there is also a difference.

quote:

Jengie

I think it might help if the organist and choir remember that not everyone has communicated.

The hymn chosen may reflect their own status irt communion, but not that of the congregation as a whole, who may still be maintaining a greater quietness and devotion.

But perhaps it is just me. I find it jarring if I am walking to the altar rail, with the accompaniment of the odd rustle of paper or quiet footsteps, everywhere quiet and reverent, and then the whole place is filled with crashing great chords and the choir launches into Onward Christian Soldiers or somesuch.

[Smile]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah but I said suitable hymns

Imagine instead if it was Let us break bread together, It is a thing most wonderful or My song is Love unknown.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

If anything, I prefer Taizé chants. Less banal than most repetitive choruses, they don't depend on people knowing a lot of words by heart or carrying books around with them. Hence they can be sung - quietly - by those walking up to or returning from communion as well as by those in the pews. They are by definition prayerful.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I can make a rare boast about post-conciliar Catholic music, it's our communion songs. A great repetoire has developed of songs about communion with simple refrains and more developed verses. This allows people to sing the refrains without books in their hands and appreciate listening during the verses which can be sung by choir or cantor. A decent number of churches with a general preference for more traditional hymnody go modern for communion. A recognition, I think, that we've really worked out well recently how to do music for that moment.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
most of the Chapel people roared them out as if they were in the Arms Park, their tradition presumably being that the more you the meant the words, the louder you sang them.

Given that the eucharist is a prolepsis of the eschatological banquet, and I'm lookin' to that being one hooley of a dooley, I'm thinkin' this is not altogether inappropriate (at all times).

Hmm. Good Friday on the other hand ...

[ 26. August 2013, 20:19: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
But of course it does depend how it's done. I rememeber a an ecumenical Good Friday service a few years ago at the Welsh-medium CinW church I attended then.

That strange occasion... I always think that it would be far more appropriate to have the ecumenical service on Maundy Thursday, and then have an Adoration of the Cross service on the Friday. But things seem to be very set in their ways when it comes to that service.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Jengie

Isn't the (possibly) Augustinian quote actually 'He who sings well prays twice'? (At least that was the way I was taught way back when in music school.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
If I can make a rare boast about post-conciliar Catholic music, it's our communion songs. A great repetoire has developed of songs about communion with simple refrains and more developed verses. This allows people to sing the refrains without books in their hands and appreciate listening during the verses which can be sung by choir or cantor. A decent number of churches with a general preference for more traditional hymnody go modern for communion. A recognition, I think, that we've really worked out well recently how to do music for that moment.

Agreed. In fact, we ELCA Lutherans have a lot of those songs in our new-ish hymnal, but IME very few Lutheran churches understand what to do with them. Also, we unfortunately lost a lot of good older-style communion hymns.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:

Jengie

Isn't the (possibly) Augustinian quote actually 'He who sings well prays twice'? (At least that was the way I was taught way back when in music school.)
Actually if I believe the people who have investigated it, there is no evidence he said anything like it. What he does seem to have said is "He who loves, sings praises". If you want more you can see here

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, in reality the hymnn has been prayed four or five times by the time the choir practises it and the musical director has explained that the Sops have been singing the melody wrong for decades, the Basses have been shaken out of their ennui and never mind the rest... [Biased]
Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
If I can make a rare boast about post-conciliar Catholic music, it's our communion songs. A great repetoire has developed of songs about communion with simple refrains and more developed verses.

Hmm. I'm not sure to which songs you are referring. I would not boast over the communion songs I've endured over the past 20 years. Maybe it's a matter of taste? What's wrong with the choir singing the communion verse and a few other things giving the people time to pray?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
What's wrong with the choir singing the communion verse and a few other things giving the people time to pray?

This sort of makes it sound as if when they're singing they're not praying.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by FCB
quote:

Originally posted by New Yorker:
What's wrong with the choir singing the communion verse and a few other things giving the people time to pray?

This sort of makes it sound as if when they're singing they're not praying.

Whilst I fully accept that I'm praying as I sing (I'm a chorister), I also need space and silence for prayer as well and that's usually in short supply.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016