homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Miscellaneous questions of a liturgical nature (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Miscellaneous questions of a liturgical nature
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reverences: when the setup has the altar pulled away from the wall for a versus populum celebration of the Eucharist, but the East wall directly behind the altar has the tabernacle set into it (like a vault, not like an aumbry)

Thoughts, suggestions, references, best practices on how to reverence the Blessed Sacrament and/or altar upon entering the church, crossing before the altar/tabernacle in general, approaching at the beginning of mass, and the most awkward of awkwards, passing between the tabernacle and the altar? This is an Episcopal church but I'd be interested to know how RC cope with this set-up as well.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Pulled away from the wall' suggests that the altar is no more than a couple of metres from the tabernacle if that. Is that the case, or is it free-standing in its own space?

In the former case, I would reverence the tabernacle at the beginning and end of mass and ignore it otherwise. In the latter, I would ignore it totally unless approaching it to remove or replenish the MBS. But that is just a subjective aesthetic judgement; I don't know what any official rubrics might say.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KevinL:
Reverences: when the setup has the altar pulled away from the wall for a versus populum celebration of the Eucharist, but the East wall directly behind the altar has the tabernacle set into it (like a vault, not like an aumbry)

Thoughts, suggestions, references, best practices on how to reverence the Blessed Sacrament and/or altar upon entering the church, crossing before the altar/tabernacle in general, approaching at the beginning of mass, and the most awkward of awkwards, passing between the tabernacle and the altar? This is an Episcopal church but I'd be interested to know how RC cope with this set-up as well.

Thanks in advance for replies.

I'd agree with Angloid about the beginning and end of mass, but I would add that when facing east I would also be inclined to reverence the reserved sacrament. But when the celebrant was on the west side I would not struggle to do so assuming it is a rather tight space.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Angloid and Comper's Child. It is pulled away, in that is is probably only a meter from the East Wall (though free standing).

Comper's Child, when you say "when the celebrant is at the west side" do you mean when he is facing west? I'm a bit confused as to the scenario, since at the west side he would have more space and be able to reverence both.

Also, are we talking genuflections here, or profound bows? I assume because it is the BS, we mean genuflections at the beginning and end, but bows otherwise?

Thanks!

Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In his book on the rubrics of Sunday Mass (in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite) Paul Turner says, "The point of Mass is to participate in the miracle that will take place on the altar, not to exercise devotions to the reserved Blessed Sacrament."

There is a slight difference between the GIRM and the IOM. The former says that you should genuflect (or bow the head if carrying something) when entering the sanctuary during the opening procession if the tabernacle is in the sanctuary, the latter if it is behind or near the altar. Whatever you do on the way in, you should do on the way out. Also, I would genuflect before taking hosts out of the tabernacle (a discouraged practice during Mass) and after putting them back in. That would be the only reverence to the tabernacle during Mass: the altar is the focus.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cruet
Shipmate
# 14586

- Posted      Profile for Cruet   Email Cruet       Edit/delete post 
Hart, this is not the case when Mass is
celebrated on EWTN.

--------------------
snake belly land

Posts: 92 | From: Houston, Tx | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do they do?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Among other things, the servers do not 'ignore' the tabernacle, but rather genuflect every time they pass in front of it (for instance, when setting or clearing the altar), although not when the consecrated sacrament is on the altar.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Growing up in a Catholic parish, it was our custom to reverence the tabernacle only upon entering and leaving the sanctuary, not while puttering about setting things up/tearing things down. We didn't think we were being disrespectful, but others may disagree.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My understanding was that in the GIRM, if the sacrament was reserved within sight of the altar, the ministers genuflected on entering and leaving, otherwise ignoring it. The eucharistic presence was that of the eucharist being celebrated.

I think the GIRM used to require reservation should be in a separate chapel, but I note in para 315 at present it is also possible on a separate place within the sanctuary.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KevinL:
Thanks Angloid and Comper's Child. It is pulled away, in that is is probably only a meter from the East Wall (though free standing).

Comper's Child, when you say "when the celebrant is at the west side" do you mean when he is facing west? I'm a bit confused as to the scenario, since at the west side he would have more space and be able to reverence both.

Also, are we talking genuflections here, or profound bows? I assume because it is the BS, we mean genuflections at the beginning and end, but bows otherwise?

Thanks!

Sorry - I am an idiot. What I meant was when he is on the east side facing west... Our custom is to genuflect.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Growing up in a Catholic parish, it was our custom to reverence the tabernacle only upon entering and leaving the sanctuary, not while puttering about setting things up/tearing things down. We didn't think we were being disrespectful, but others may disagree.

That's the practice I'm used to as well. The EWTN practice JitN describes sounds well-intentioned but rather distracting to me.

[ 23. January 2013, 17:16: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I visited a different anglican church last Sunday evening for evensong, which I enjoyed (it is quite different to what I am used to). I was confused as to why, in the hymn just before the sermon, a man who was sat with the choir, although obviously not a member of the choir (he was dressed differently, the choir were robed, he was dressed in black), got up, went up to where the altar was and put out two candles that were on sticks in front of and to either side of the altar.

So my questions are;
1). Why were the candles put out before the sermon?
2). Was a missing something important about this man's role? He seemed to be praying through most of the rest of the service.

Thanks, flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by flags_fiend:
I visited a different anglican church last Sunday evening for evensong, which I enjoyed (it is quite different to what I am used to). I was confused as to why, in the hymn just before the sermon, a man who was sat with the choir, although obviously not a member of the choir (he was dressed differently, the choir were robed, he was dressed in black), got up, went up to where the altar was and put out two candles that were on sticks in front of and to either side of the altar.

So my questions are;
2). Was a missing something important about this man's role? He seemed to be praying through most of the rest of the service.

Thanks, flags x

There is no provision in the BCP for a Sermon at Evensong, so in some places it was (and apparently still is) the custom to extinguish the candles after the Grace to signify the end of the office. The sermon that follows is not then considered to be part of the service, but a separate event.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The person who put the candles out could have been a verger or a lay reader sitting in the choir/chancel but with no particular other role that evening.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
. . .
When did the departed begin to "Rise in Glory" ?

When I was a young Anglican - they merely Rested in Peace as far as I remember... but of late one never hears one without the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Cornish High:
I cannot lay my hand on my copy of the Fison, but it is called "Afire for God" by F.W. Dillistone. I recall that on the last page the sentence in question went something like, "... the little term Joe taught people to use at the end of the traditional prayer 'may the souls ... rest in peace' and rise in glory." Perhaps someone with a copy of the book can verify? . . .

I have a copy in front of me and its does indeed conclude "Joe's own last word might have been the phrase which he taught others to add to the traditional prayer: 'May the souls of the departed rest in peace:' And rise in Glory."

Joe Fison began as an Evangelical, both studying and teaching at Wycliffe Hall, but was strongly impressed by his early experience of the Ethiopian Church, and later by the thinking of Berdyaev, Buber and Tillich. Through his ministry, particularly in Cambridge and Salisbury, he influenced generations of Anglican ordinands.

I think it is very likely that he is responsible for the popularity of the "rise in glory" response in MOTR parishes which in the 1960s were probably just beginning to regularly use the 'rest in peace' formula.

The Christian Hope: the presence of the Parousia (1954) was his most substantial work, and it is likely that it explains what he understood by it.

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:
Originally posted by flags_fiend:

So my questions are;

Thanks, flags x

There is no provision in the BCP for a Sermon at Evensong, so in some places it was (and apparently still is) the custom to extinguish the candles after the Grace to signify the end of the office. The sermon that follows is not then considered to be part of the service, but a separate event.
The 'proper' time to extinguish the office candles is after the collects - though it always seemed off to pray 'lighten our darkness' and then put the candles out.

Then again, if there is a choir, an anthem is part of the office, as is the state prayers.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
. . .
When did the departed begin to "Rise in Glory" ?

When I was a young Anglican - they merely Rested in Peace as far as I remember... but of late one never hears one without the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Cornish High:
I cannot lay my hand on my copy of the Fison, but it is called "Afire for God" by F.W. Dillistone. I recall that on the last page the sentence in question went something like, "... the little term Joe taught people to use at the end of the traditional prayer 'may the souls ... rest in peace' and rise in glory." Perhaps someone with a copy of the book can verify? . . .

I have a copy in front of me and its does indeed conclude "Joe's own last word might have been the phrase which he taught others to add to the traditional prayer: 'May the souls of the departed rest in peace:' And rise in Glory."

Joe Fison began as an Evangelical, both studying and teaching at Wycliffe Hall, but was strongly impressed by his early experience of the Ethiopian Church, and later by the thinking of Berdyaev, Buber and Tillich. Through his ministry, particularly in Cambridge and Salisbury, he influenced generations of Anglican ordinands.

I think it is very likely that he is responsible for the popularity of the "rise in glory" response in MOTR parishes which in the 1960s were probably just beginning to regularly use the 'rest in peace' formula.

The Christian Hope: the presence of the Parousia (1954) was his most substantial work, and it is likely that it explains what he understood by it.

Thanks for info. It has been bugging me ever since I failed to find my copy.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

Robert Runcie was teaching in Cambridge between 1952 and 1960 when Fison was Vicar of Great St Mary's (1959 to 1963). Maybe Runcie heard the 'rise in glory' then and took it with him to Cuddesdon.
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recently I went to a communion service at a pretty high Anglican church. During the preparation of the bread and wine, a handbell was rung near the altar and the church bell was rung at the same time.

What is the ringing for, please? I've never been a regular at a church that does this and am intrigued.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Was it just after the words of Institution? ("This is my body... this is my blood"). This is to draw people's attention to that moment (dating from a time when the words of the Eucharistic Prayer were said quietly by a priest whose face the people couldn't see).

PS. The preparation is the rite of preparing the altar. The Eucharistic Prayer is the long prayer that the priest says after that before communion is given out. Do you mean the latter?

[ 26. January 2013, 00:14: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Was it just after the words of Institution? ("This is my body... this is my blood"). This is to draw people's attention to that moment (dating from a time when the words of the Eucharistic Prayer were said quietly by a priest whose face the people couldn't see).

In our parish, the first ring of the bell is a brief one just before the celebrant starts the Words of Institution.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the Latin rite in my small part of India, the altar boys (all six or seven of them) have their own set of bells.

a) At the beginning of Mass, once, to announce the entry of the priest;

b) Three times each at the Words of Institution

c) Three times each at the Communion of the Priest

I noticed last week that even the Master of Ceremonies who was lurking in the sacristy (behind the altar) was ringing his own set of bells.

Quite different from the discreet little tinkle we are accustomed to hearing in the West.

Not to mention the church bell which is vigorously rung 5 minutes before the service (at 7:25) to summon the laggard faithful to church and once just before the entry of the Priest (and accompanying handbell ringings)

The church bell is rung by one of the boys, and if you look quickly to your left you can plot his progress as he scrambles back in an attempt to join the procession to the altar.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our servers are trained to ring the sanctuary bells at the Sanctus (3x3, one for each 'Holy'), the elevation of the bread and wine (3x3 each), and during the benedictus.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

PS. The preparation is the rite of preparing the altar. The Eucharistic Prayer is the long prayer that the priest says after that before communion is given out. Do you mean the latter?

I was taught it was also from when the service was in latin so that people also knew when the Holy Sopirit was being invoked.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or when attending Mass was more like spending time in church saying your own devotions rather than actively participating in the service (probably couldn't hear or see the celebrant due to distance, rood screen, etc). When the bell rung you knew where the service was up to and joined in at that spot.

--------------------

Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all!
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the days of the Latin Mass it was customary in France to ring the bell at the beginning of the Offertory (preparation of bread and wine) but I haven't come across this in over 40 years.Other posters have explained when the standard ringing of bells took place in the Roman rite.Different countries had slightly different 'extras'.
I find that anglican churches each adapt to whatever they think is 'right'.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also ringing to give a signal for the laity to move up for communion.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
Our servers are trained to ring the sanctuary bells at the Sanctus (3x3, one for each 'Holy')...

Is this due to the particular setting that you use?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crucifer
Shipmate
# 523

- Posted      Profile for Crucifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
Our servers are trained to ring the sanctuary bells at the Sanctus (3x3, one for each 'Holy'), the elevation of the bread and wine (3x3 each), and during the benedictus.

In our parish it is three rings at the end of the preface, but before the choir commences the Sanctus. Three rings at both of the elevations and one ring immediately after the celebrant has communicated, which signals the servers, choir and congregation to begin queuing up for communion.

--------------------
Crucifer

Posts: 232 | From: Diocese of Rupert's Land, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

When the Lectionary has a longer and a shorter version of a gospel, does anyone know if it's OK to do something intermediate? Ie. all of the shorter, and some but not all of the verses it skips that are in the longer? [You can take 'OK' in various senses, but the one I'm particularly interested in is for Roman Catholics at Mass.]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
When the Lectionary has a longer and a shorter version of a gospel, does anyone know if it's OK to do something intermediate? Ie. all of the shorter, and some but not all of the verses it skips that are in the longer? [You can take 'OK' in various senses, but the one I'm particularly interested in is for Roman Catholics at Mass.]

My instinct is to say a definite 'no'. I'd need to check chapter and verse but a priest has no right to vary the set texts without express permission. I don't recall seeing any such permission.

(Would have been nice for last Sundays second lesson).

Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stranger in a strange land:
quote:

My instinct is to say a definite 'no'. I'd need to check chapter and verse but a priest has no right to vary the set texts without express permission. I don't recall seeing any such permission.

(Would have been nice for last Sundays second lesson).

I usually have good luck with the rubrics and frontmatter of RC liturgical books, and so far I have found no evidence that one can use a hybrid of the short and long readings. It would probably be easier to come up with a reason to use a different set of lectionary texts altogether, such as those for a votive Mass or a feast.

In any event, Hart, why not simply use the shorter reading, and then sound very impressive in your homily when you expound upon what comes before and after the appointed reading?! The common pewfolk will think you actually cracked open your Bible, but we in Eccles will know the truth. Don't worry, we'll keep it in pectore.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

This is for preaching class, so I think I'm going to just do it. The reading is either John 4:5-42 or 4:5-15, 19b-26, 39a, 40-42. I want to use some of the bits that are skipped, but 31-38 is kind of an intrusion into the text that I'd like to skip. I guess in the real world, I'd have to read that bit and hope people didn't notice that I didn't say anything about it!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm fairly certain it isn't kosher to pick and choose from the readings but when you're preaching I don't think you're obligated to refer to or mention every single verse in a reading either.

etaYou should just do the whole reading and for the homily if it's specific bits of the reading that jump out at you, give an overview of the reading at the beginning of the homily and then focus on those 2 or 3 (or 4, or 5....) verses that jump out at you.

[ 31. January 2013, 02:14: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The short version seems to lose the sense. Missing 16-19a means missing the bit that makes her recognise him as a prophet inn 19b. I can quite see why you want to do what you suggest. Not sure what the rules say though. I have to admit that I'll often read through omitted verses at the office.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am reading a whodunit set in an Anglo Catholic Church, where the priest gets murdered.

Before the murder he is robing for High Mass. The author comments that it was a liturgically precise church in which the deacon and subdeacon had to wait until the priest put on the chasubles before they put on dalmatics and tunicle.

Was that the custom?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

In all my years in the church bother here in Oz and in my assistance in CofE parishes, I have never seen nor heard of that one!

--------------------

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I am reading a whodunit set in an Anglo Catholic Church, where the priest gets murdered.

Before the murder he is robing for High Mass. The author comments that it was a liturgically precise church in which the deacon and subdeacon had to wait until the priest put on the chasubles before they put on dalmatics and tunicle.

Was that the custom?

Unfortunately, the author of that whodunit is wrong, or that Anglo-Catholic church was doing it wrong. Adrian Fortescue, THE authority in his famed Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described,
says that the deacon and sudeacon vest, with the exception of their maniples, before the arrival of the celebrant, so as to be in readiness for him. The deacon and subdeacon then assist the celebrant to vest. Previous to that, the first and second acolytes have assisted the deacon and subdeacon to vest, At the conclusion of vesting, the deacon offers the maniple to the celebrant, then he and the subdeacon don their own maniples.

That's how High Mass vesting is done by the book, but not apparently by the book you are reading.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
quote:

Was that the custom?

Unfortunately, the author of that whodunit is wrong, or that Anglo-Catholic church was doing it wrong. Adrian Fortescue, THE authority in his famed Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described,
says that the deacon and sudeacon vest, with the exception of their maniples, before the arrival of the celebrant, so as to be in readiness for him. The deacon and subdeacon then assist the celebrant to vest. Previous to that, the first and second acolytes have assisted the deacon and subdeacon to vest, At the conclusion of vesting, the deacon offers the maniple to the celebrant, then he and the subdeacon don their own maniples.

That's how High Mass vesting is done by the book, but not apparently by the book you are reading.

Unless the Solemn Mass in question is on a Sunday (as most are), in which case the maniples for all three are on their respective sedilia. Maniples are not donned until after the Asperges, when the celebrant changes from cope to chasuble.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do Anglicans ever sport mozzettas?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Do Anglicans ever sport mozzettas?

All the time. Sometime over a cassock only, and sometimes over a cassock and surplice.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I am talking of the Mozzetta, just to be clear, not the pellegrina.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
quote:

Was that the custom?

Unless the Solemn Mass in question is on a Sunday (as most are), in which case the maniples for all three are on their respective sedilia. Maniples are not donned until after the Asperges, when the celebrant changes from cope to chasuble.
Yes, certainly. On Sundays when the rite of Asperges (or another) is celebrated before the High Mass of the day. However the question raised by the story in the whodunit did not refer to the ceremonies before Mass, or to use of the maniples for them, but in what sequence the three sacred ministers would, in fact, vest beforehand.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Indeed: the pellegrina is common among a certain breed of Anglican (I have one, though I don't often wear it). The mozzetta I have never seen in an Anglican context: choir dress tends to mean surplice and scarf or cotta and stole (and perhaps cope with the latter).
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

That ought to go in the 'guotes file' if i knew how to do it.

A priceless example of some of the exotica and tatporn that happens on this board.

Having moved in anglo-catholic circles for 48 years, i haven't a clue what a pellegrina' is, nor the slightest interest in finding out - maybe it should be worn by women bishops when we finally, please God, get them.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
leo,

Snark isn't needed - if you're not interested in a particular topic my advice would be not to read that thread/those posts.

Snark and Dead Horse together really doesn't endear you to me and my hostly friends.

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

That ought to go in the 'guotes file' if i knew how to do it.

A priceless example of some of the exotica and tatporn that happens on this board.

Having moved in anglo-catholic circles for 48 years, i haven't a clue what a pellegrina' is, nor the slightest interest in finding out - maybe it should be worn by women bishops when we finally, please God, get them.

Oh dear, Leo, you are so serious. Can't you see tongue in cheek comments?

We can all have our little hobbies and questions, and, as I understand it here is a place to ask them.

As it happens you will have seen a pellegrina several times, not very exotic, and not porn, unless you get off on that sort of thing!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But where do you put the Mozzarella?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016