homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Service of Readings and Carols (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Service of Readings and Carols
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some friends of mine are looking to go to our local cathedral to sing carols on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. If they go for the Service of Readings and Carols, are they likely just to hear wonderful carols from the choir, or do the whole congo usually get to join in?

Either way, I might well go along myself if public transport is still running locally when it's due to finish...

Thanks for any advice!

BG

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost certainly both. There are usually three or four congregational carols at least, with the rest being sung by the choir.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many services of readings and carols seek to mirror the Kings College Nine Lessons and Carols format. The Kings service almost always starts with Once in Royal David's City, and ends with O Come All Ye Faithful, the blessing, then Hark the Herald Angels Sing. All these are sung by the whole congregation (although the first two verses of Once in Royal are solo and choir).

Between that, and surrounding the lessons, is a veritable feast of choir-sung carols, with a couple of items sung by the whole congregation. That, I think, is probably an extreme. The last service I put together on that pattern had three 'music group' items and six further congregational carols.

With a cathedral, or other professional/quality choir, you should expect a good number of pieces by the choir, but also recognition that people attend carol services in order to be able to sing the old favourites.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
Many services of readings and carols seek to mirror the Kings College Nine Lessons and Carols format...

Even here in the hinterlands of Arizona, our Cathedral bases its Lessons and Carols on the one at Kings College (which is broadcast by our local classical station live). But our Cathedral will have it on the Sunday before Christmas. I've gone the past several years and am looking forward to it again this year. It's wonderful

[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an Anglo-Catholic I'm always rather agin him because of the ritualism trials, but I suppose it's time for the annual pointing out that while King's is the best known, they didn't actually invent nine lessons and carols. That was Benson, at Truro, some thirty or forty years before King's got anywhere near it (and, at the time, they were quite open about their source).

Anyway, back on topic, it depends entirely on where you go. At Christ Church the other year, I think from memory we sang about twice in the evening, with the choir handling pretty much everything.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours is based on King's as well (although being very traditional, it's not until the Sunday after Christmas). The congo will get to sing all but vv. 1 and 2 of Once in royal, O little town*, O come, all ye faithful, Unto us is born a son and Hark the herald angels sing, plus at least one other, and there'll be a fair number of choir carols too.

* to the tune Forest Green, no American nonsense here! [Devil]

PS BG, if you're in the flatlands of the East that I'm thinking of, you'll be spoilt for choice for places to go. [Smile]

[ 10. December 2013, 16:21: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

PS BG, if you're in the flatlands of the East that I'm thinking of, you'll be spoilt for choice for places to go. [Smile]

We're in East Anglia, and yes, we do have some lovely cathedrals including one recently-completed one - and of course we have King's - in the region.

At our local one, there's a carol session accompanied by the Sally Ann mid-evening, and my friends are planning to go to that on the grounds that with the Sally Ann you'll always get a good rousing sing-song. I think they're right.

If I can, though, I may go to the Readings and Carols - it will be absolutely wonderful and there is at least public transport still running when it finishes!

Many thanks, everyone, for your replies so far!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
* to the tune Forest Green, no American nonsense here! [Devil] [Smile]

But the words are American. [Big Grin]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's still no excuse to sing that awful dirge. [Big Grin]

I can't help it - I'll probably live the rest of my days on the left side of the Pond, but if I never hear St. Louis again, it'll be far too soon.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

After some discussion in the Hosts' Lounge, it's been decided that this thread would flourish better in Eccles.

Hang on to your surplices ...

Piglet, AS Host

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For quite a number of years, we went to Lessons and Carols at School, home for a glass of muscat and some Christmas cake, then off to church for Midnight Mass. Alas, the current regime at School has chosen to have that service on Sunday evening and hour little private tradition has come to an end. The School service follows the Kings College tradition with some purely choral singing, and others for all; the finish is the Hallelujah Chorus with organ ( a good Sharp) and added trumpet.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday night 22nd here -- all carols sung by the congregation except one piece by a soloist and one by a group formed for the night.

People come to take part and taking part for them is singing the old favourites. I just wish we could hack out that awful "Once in ..... "

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
With a cathedral, or other professional/quality choir, you should expect a good number of pieces by the choir, but also recognition that people attend carol services in order to be able to sing the old favourites.

Which has been real bone of contention in one place I know, together with the formal/informal debate.

[ 12. December 2013, 06:56: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Truro was the origin of the Nine Lessons and Carols format. They are doing a reconstruction of the first Bishop Benson service next week. I don't know if they are starting with the solo first verse of OiRDC but I sincerely hope not because that has just about as much relevance to worship as Christmas pudding does - pure dressage/kitch.

I much prefer O little town... to Walford Davies's setting (OK, that starts with a solo too, but accompanied, so less angst.)

rant on/ The Sunday after Christmas Day Is, of course, in the Christmas season, not after Christmas. But I learnt the hard way many years ago (cong of 10, I think, excluding choir) that few people want Christmas music, to hear or sing, in Christmas. And I blame King's (and the BBC) for that, as well as for OiRDC. Grr. /rant off

Good luck to those 'doing' carol services in the next couple of weeks. Just don't expect to see me there. [Mad]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a carol service is much before Christmas (I'd say on the 21st or earlier) then start with either O Come Emmanuel or similar.

If 22nd on then start with Of the Father's heart begotten.

The congregation should get to join in at least 6 hymns or carols.

Yes, for preference I'd prefer carol services after Christmas but the real possibility of that happening vanished around 1980 IME - I blame TV.

As for OiRDC - OK but not brilliant.

And if you want slush with musical pedigree then It came upon the midnight clear to the Sullivan tune is hard to beat.

The year, bearing in mind Syria and other horrors, we shall again be singing Malcolm Williamson's Christmas Night...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Carol Service on Sunday 22nd has 8 congregational carols (well, one of them is an Advent hymn - Come, thou long-expected Jesus) and there are 2 songs for what will probably be a scratch choir.

OiRDC is the Introit Hymn at Midnight Mass, but probably without any solos........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would glady attend any carol service where they promised not to sing "While shepherds watched" to Winchester Old - the most depressing tune of Christmas.

Moving on from the singing to the reading (or listening) why do so few of our parish churches use the King James Bible for carol services? At least King's College still do. Most of the modern translations (even NIV) sound leaden and pedestrian in comparison to rhythm of the language in KJV. And for those who think modern congregations won't understand 17th century English, take note that there are no "difficult" words in the Christmas readings. In any case most people are familiar with the traditional version. I prefer my shepherds to be "sore afraid" rather than "terrified" (even though they probably were terrified!).

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've gone for a typically Anglican compromise!

Most readings at our Carol Service are from the NRSV, but the Gospel - which is read 'liturgically' i.e. with Alleluias, acclamation, and incense - is the Johannine Prologue, Authorised (King James) Version......

......we are having a joint service with the local Baptist congregation this year........ [Snigger]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
I would glady attend any carol service where they promised not to sing "While shepherds watched" to Winchester Old - the most depressing tune of Christmas. ...

I agree and can't understand why this has persisted when there are so many much better tunes to sing it to.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to do ours on Christmas Eve, but there won't be enough people around to make it happen. If we do it, I want to do it well. So we're having it on the first Sunday during Christmas, as a joint service between my two parishes. Once in Royal will be the processional because, gosh darnit, I like that song. [Smile] No solo, though.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Most readings at our Carol Service are from the NRSV, but the Gospel - which is read 'liturgically' i.e. with Alleluias, acclamation, and incense - is the Johannine Prologue, Authorised (King James) Version......

And a communal drop to the floor at "And the Word was made flesh..."? Now that's liturgical! [Biased]
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Once in Royal will be the processional because, gosh darnit, I like that song. [Smile] No solo, though.

What the "Christian children all must be, mild obedient, good as He?" bit too?

It's utter tripe and presumption. What about the "disobedient" Jesus who is found in the temple instead of being with his parents?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
...And if you want slush with musical pedigree then It came upon the midnight clear to the Sullivan tune is hard to beat.

The year, bearing in mind Syria and other horrors, we shall again be singing Malcolm Williamson's Christmas Night...

Yes, 'slush with musical pedigree' is right for the Sullivan tune: wonderful. But the words are very much not slush- '...beneath the angel strain have rolled two thousand years of wrong/ And man, at war with man, hears not the love-song which they bring/ O hush the noise, ye men of strife, and hear the angels sing!'
I should think they could do with a bit of that in Syria and all too many other places.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Community / Village carols : readings from scripture are from NEB (I think); there are non-scriptural readings.

Its not a choir thing so its congregational all the way - featuring my own most hated carol Silen Night [Projectile] plus Good King Wenceslas, etc (I know, I know, too early, secular - but sometimes you have to give people the crap they crave).

Nine Lessons will be King James all the way with Hymns and congregational carols, plus the choir singing 8 (or so) items on their own.

No Rutter.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No Rutter.

Words I love to hear

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Once in Royal will be the processional because, gosh darnit, I like that song. [Smile] No solo, though.

It's utter tripe and presumption. What about the "disobedient" Jesus who is found in the temple instead of being with his parents?

I completely agree, I dislike the carol from start to finish, and those lines are the low-point. One of those times when the vomiting smiley is really needed!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
... Most of the modern translations (even NIV) sound leaden and pedestrian in comparison to rhythm of the language in KJV ...

Yea and amen! For our Nine Lessons & Carols the lessons (in the KJV) are typed out and put in a binder on the lectern, so there's no chance of anyone messing them about.

A well-meaning but ill-advised idiot donated a huge, very expensive Gospel book in an Inferior Version™ to the Cathedral a few years ago and when the Christmas Gospel at Midnight Mass didn't have the words "comprehendeth it not" it almost ruined my entire Christmas.

Fortunately, the Cathedral's Liturgical Good Taste Committee* has Taken Steps and it doesn't happen any more.

* i.e. the Organist, but with the full support of the Dean. [Big Grin]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

At a previous church we had a spate of thefts - mainly small items, but we were all shocked to discover the lectern Bible had been taken which, sadly, meant the KJB had to be put back.
Shame
[Snigger]

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm looking at the version in the 1989 United Methodist Hymnal, and that line isn't there. I'm not sure if this version is copyrighted, so I won't post it here, but the bit you quoted isn't part of it.

ETA: Here's a link.

[ 13. December 2013, 15:20: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What about the "disobedient" Jesus who is found in the temple instead of being with his parents? [/QB]

I always thought the point was that he *was* obedient to his true Father.

(It doesn't reconcile me to that verse though! Nor to parenting which consists in extracting "obedience". Sorry. Just read a sick-making article about something called the Xmas Elf.)

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
At a previous church we had a spate of thefts - mainly small items, but we were all shocked to discover the lectern Bible had been taken which, sadly, meant the KJB had to be put back.
Shame
[Snigger]

Don't suppose there's any chance of anyone stealing our copies of H*mns *ld & N*w, is there?

--------------------

Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
No Rutter.

Words I love to hear
I like Rutter's version of All Things Bright and Bootiful.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, are people saying that they actually have Christmas Lesson and Carol services before Christmas? I thought that was an exclusively Methodist/Baptist/Presbyterian type of thing? I've honestly NEVER heard of an Episcopal/Anglican or Roman Catholic church doing this, ever.

Our parish does Advent Lessons and Carols on Advent Sunday then Christmas Lessons and Carols on New Year's Eve and both are very well attended. I do have to say, however, that New Year's Eve is probably the only time a Christmas Lessons and Carols service really works, outside of Christmas itself.

Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My own parish did Advent Lessons & Carols on Advent Sunday. Another parish in the diocese with a major music ministry is having Nine Lessons and Carols "to honour the Christ Child" this Sunday evening, and I have to admit a glance at the leaflet does seem to suggest a somewhat more Christmassy flavour than I would have aimed for.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The virtue of obedience (which St Benedict thought was central) seriously needs to be re-thought. The Latin word is related to "audire" to hear. It means listening to other people and acting accordingly. It doesn't mean being a doormat and a creep. And people don't listen to each other, as message boards make clear.

That verse in Once in Royal David's City does make the Second Person of the Trinity sound like Little Lord Faunteleroy, but what's the alternative to "meek, obedient, good"?

"Arrogant, stroppy, malicious"?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
Wait, are people saying that they actually have Christmas Lesson and Carol services before Christmas? I thought that was an exclusively Methodist/Baptist/Presbyterian type of thing? I've honestly NEVER heard of an Episcopal/Anglican or Roman Catholic church doing this, ever.

The Episcopal Cathedral Church of the Advent in Birmingham, AL is having theirs this weekend. I would love to go, but our church is having something that night and I must be there.

Also, the chapel at the University of the South in Sewanee, TN (also Episcopal) has theirs the first weekend in December. But I assume that's because it's a college and the students won't be around during Christmas.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Our parish does Advent Lessons and Carols on Advent Sunday then Christmas Lessons and Carols on New Year's Eve and both are very well attended. I do have to say, however, that New Year's Eve is probably the only time a Christmas Lessons and Carols service really works, outside of Christmas itself.

There are several notices in this week's Church Times from Anglican parishes with Carol Services on Sunday 15th December and Nativity Plays at Mass on that day to boot.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, I'm glad to hear American RCs and Episcopalians are so liturgically pedantic as to have their carol services after 25 December.

That is very rare in England. I can certainly remember my school carol service in the C of E parish church over fifty years' ago in December. I've been to Epiphany Carol Services, but they are rare.

It's partly to do with schools: they have the Nativity Play and Carol Service in the term before Christmas.

In the UK, Christmas ends on 25 December. From 26 December onwards we have Sales.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, I looked up 10 TEC churches that happen to be on "favourites", 6 of them are having their lessons and carols services this Sunday or in the coming week, 3 next Sunday the 22nd and only one on Christmas Eve. The US Catholic parishes didn't even mention carol services. Perhaps they follow the UK example of carols preceeding Midnight mass.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Gosh, I'm glad to hear American RCs and Episcopalians are so liturgically pedantic as to have their carol services after 25 December.

We had our carol service last week, but sang Advent carols. We will sing Christmas carols in a couple of weeks, but don't have another "carol service" - just the normal set of Christmas and Sunday services.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:
The US Catholic parishes didn't even mention carol services. Perhaps they follow the UK example of carols preceeding Midnight mass.

This is common in episcopal churches here too. In fact, the half hour preceding Midnight Mass is the only portion of the evening's proceedings I can drag the unchurched half of my family out to.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nine Lessons and Carols last Sunday before Christmas here, and Crib Service (for children) after dark on Christmas Eve.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seven lessons for us - we omit the promise to Abraham and Isaiah 11. I had O come O come Emmanuel in, but it isn't on the congregational carol sheets, and to my utter shock the choir didn't remember Of the Father's love/heart begotten from 2001. That will be fixed for next year.

Rest of the congregational items are OiRDC (don't judge me - no solo, as the soloist left before I arrived), It came upon the midnight clear (don't judge me), O little town (don't... you get the idea), While shepherds washed, As with gladness, O come all ye faithful (with the non-Christmas Day last verse) and Hark the Herald. Two choir items (no Rutter in sight), and I've got a wee piece for the Offering.

[ 14. December 2013, 10:16: Message edited by: AndyB ]

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndyB:

… O come all ye faithful (with the non-Christmas Day last verse)

And just what is the 'non-Christmas Day last verse'?
It's an item I've not encountered.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just remembered from a comment on the Advent thread that the O Antiphons are sung as part of the service here - one at a time through the service; they work well with the readings.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:

I think s/he means without the last verse specific to Christmas Day (Yea, Lord, we greet thee/ Born this happy morning)

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I suspect AndyB just means the usual penultimate verse. The final verse (Yea, Lord we greet thee) is usually only sung on Christmas day.

(x-posted with venbede)

[ 14. December 2013, 19:51: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
No Rutter.

Words I love to hear
I like Rutter's version of All Things Bright and Bootiful.
I suppose it might work, on the principle that a negative times a negative is a positive.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:
quote:

I suspect AndyB just means the usual penultimate verse. The final verse (Yea, Lord we greet thee) is usually only sung on Christmas day.

(x-posted with venbede)

I have encountered a version of the last verse amended to "Yea, Lord, we greet thee/Born on Christmas morning" to allow it to be sung at the other times. I can't say I'm a fan...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I have encountered a version of the last verse amended to "Yea, Lord, we greet thee/Born on Christmas morning" to allow it to be sung at the other times. I can't say I'm a fan...

This is what I have most commonly encountered before the 25th.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016