homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » MW 2634 Newington Green Unitarian Church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: MW 2634 Newington Green Unitarian Church
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was interested to read Cool Dude's report on this church. However I was slightly intrigued by the closing comment "I would miss liturgy and congregational tradition" as I thought that Congregationalist polity was part of Unitarianism's DNA. But perhaps we are using the word in a slightly different sense.

I was pleased that the Report highlighted the "... and Free Christian" title of Unitarianism. I understand that there is a lively debate going on within the denomination as to how Christian (or indeed Theist) it should be, with those who major on Reason and non-Theism having the majority. Can anyone confirm or contradict this?

And is the Society of Friends having a similar debate?

[ 23. December 2013, 08:31: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link to report.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was glad to see a report on a unitarian church. I've known individual unitarians who attend such churches for reasons other than their theology. While the denomination may not be 'Christian', many of its attendees are.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
But perhaps we are using the word in a slightly different sense.

I'm not the author, so I don't know. But my reading suggests that Cool Dude meant that he would miss the traditions that most congregations have -- the shared experiences of Christmas and Easter and so on. I'm sure that the Unitarian congregation has their own traditions and shared experiences, but I gathered that Cool Dude would rather miss his own. I don't think it has anything to do with a congregational form of church polity.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From my limited experience of Unitarian worship, it is All things to all Faiths and not dogmatic enough for me.

Unitarianism attracts those who have a problem in struggling to come to terms with the doctrine of the Trinity, which it does not subscribe to.

Congregationalist in polity may refer to Congregationalist in denomination (in England URC) or congregarionalist in government - I am not sure which.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
But my reading suggests that Cool Dude meant that he would miss the traditions that most congregations have ... I don't think it has anything to do with a congregational form of church polity.

Yes, I think you may well be right.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
quote:
But perhaps we are using the word in a slightly different sense.

I'm not the author, so I don't know. But my reading suggests that Cool Dude meant that he would miss the traditions that most congregations have -- the shared experiences of Christmas and Easter and so on.
Thanks to a connection via my partner with the Unitarian Church, I have attended the local one occasionally - one of these occasions was for Communion on good Friday, and one was for a Carol Service last Christmas (complete with Morris dancers - amazing!) .... so yes they do celebrate Christmas and Easter, just not in exactly the same way as we would expect in other churches. But less 'different' than one might expect. Just saying.

(My partner comes from Transylvania where the Unitarian church first emerged - out there it is more like a mainstream Christian denomination)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Agreed - having once visited a Unitarian church in Transylvania and having been urged by the Pastor to sing along to Moody & Sankey Gospel hymns! (We sang in English, he sang in Romanian).

As in other denominations, there is a variance in the ministry offered in different congos- the Minister at our local Unitarian church would be pretty indistinguishable from a URC Minister at the liberal end of the spectrum and champions the "Free Christian" label.

I'm sorry I missed the Morris dancing - though my wife can't stand it. But, then, she is Scottish.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the OP (re Congregationalist polity being 'part of Unitarianism's DNA') and yet still continuing the tangent about Transylvania, I was interested to read in Wikipedia that
quote:
The Transylvanian and Hungarian Unitarians represent the only branch of Unitarianism not to have adopted a congregationalist polity, and remains quasi-episcopal. <snip> The Unitarian Church of Transylvania is administrated by a Bishop and two Curators-General, being divided into five Archpriestships.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
From my limited experience of Unitarian worship, it is All things to all Faiths and not dogmatic enough for me.

Unitarianism attracts those who have a problem in struggling to come to terms with the doctrine of the Trinity, which it does not subscribe to.

Congregationalist in polity may refer to Congregationalist in denomination (in England URC) or congregarionalist in government - I am not sure which.

Ok a word for the Ecclesiantics dictionary

Polity - means style of government.

You can be governed by
  • the Bishop - in which case Epicopalian (a form of aristocratic* government)
  • by the clerics - in which case Presbyterian (actually a form of representative democracy)
  • by the congregation - in which case Congregational (direct democracy)

Jengie

*aristocracy used in the sense of Thomas Aquinas. Ruled by the elite, the elite does not need to be inheritance

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
The Unitarian Church of Transylvania is administrated by a Bishop and two Curators-General, being divided into five Archpriestships.

Oh, my goodness! Do we have anyone in Transylvania who could MW? I'd love to be a bat in the rafters -- oops, I mean a fly on the wall.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
The Unitarian Church of Transylvania is administrated by a Bishop and two Curators-General, being divided into five Archpriestships.

Wow! Makes us Baptist ministers sound pretty small fry.
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was interested to read Cool Dude's report on this church. However I was slightly intrigued by the closing comment "I would miss liturgy and congregational tradition" as I thought that Congregationalist polity was part of Unitarianism's DNA. But perhaps we are using the word in a slightly different sense.

As I recall, while in America the Unitarians mostly sprang from a schism with the Congregationalists*, the Unitarians in the UK sprang from the Presbyterians. In fact, IIRC the English Presbyterian Church voted to become Unitarian as a body, and the remaining Trinitarians either became chapels of the Church of Scotland or adopted a congregational polity. Whether British Unitarianism remains more centralized than American Unitarian Universalism I do not know.

*There were a few exceptions- Kings Chapel, in Boston, was an Episcopal church that went Unitarian. However, Unitarianism was mostly confined to New England.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Try:
As I recall, while in America the Unitarians mostly sprang from a schism with the Congregationalists*, the Unitarians in the UK sprang from the Presbyterians.

In our town the Presbyterians and Independents (= Congregationalists) were worshipping together in the late 1600s. In 1686 the Independents broke away to form their own church, while the Presbyterians remained and became Unitarian.

However, I know that some English General Baptist churches became Unitarian in the 1700s, some returned to being Trinitarian (e.g. Gold Hill in Buckinghamshire) but others, one presumes, didn't.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unitarianism originated here in the good old CofE. The Presbyterian and General Baptists tended to be Liberal Christian (or in terminology I recently came across "rational dissent" which is wider as it definitely covers Quakers).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gather Unitarian services vary from congregation to congregations. I went to the local UU solstice celebration last Saturday (very much modern pagan and ended with burning the yule log plus food [some of the cookies baked by some of the older children] and mulled wine and cider). I'm still not sure how they got us walking in three lines in a spiral without total confusion.

They'll be having probably a more standard Christmas service tonight. I'll be going to a different church though the preacher there will be Unitarian.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local Unitarians offer:

Sun 22 at 11.00 a.m. Service: Celebrations: Winter Solstice, Christmas, etc - the importance of light and of companionship at this time of year.

Sun 29 at 11.00 a.m. Service: Encouraging Each Other: in life, in spiritual questing, in how we change and grow.

Nothing on Christmas Day.

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it that there is little continuity between the Transylvanian Unitarians (originating in C16 from Socinus?) and British and American Unitarians (originating from dissenters influenced by the Enlightenment).

I've just come home from celebrating the dogma of the Incarnation at a hierachical ritual.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who need liturgy with their unitarian-ness, King's Chapel Boston has their own Prayer Book:

Book of Common Prayer for King's Chapel, Boston

Merry Christmas!

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwalker:
For those who need liturgy with their unitarian-ness, King's Chapel Boston has their own Prayer Book:

Book of Common Prayer for King's Chapel, Boston

Merry Christmas!

Yes, I was surprised about the liturgy comment in the MW report. UUs, to me, have always seemed to relish in prepared liturgy. The ritual lighting of the chalice candle alone is more ritualized than many Baptist churches. After all, aren't these the folks who gave the world "flower communion"?

Let me take this opportunity to thank the MW editors for allowing the report. It was quite informative. My Trinitarian sensibilities have kept me from attending the Sunday service at Frank Lloyd Wright's Unity Temple, but perhaps I might pop in sometime now. (No, I won't try to submit a MW!)

[ 25. December 2013, 15:47: Message edited by: Olaf ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I think it can safely be said that should further Unitarian reports be submitted, the editors will look upon them most liberally.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is great variety in Unitarian practice (and perhaps theology) here in the US.

King's, Boston seems very trad -- high and dry, one might say, while 1st Uni in Evanston, IL where I was substitute organist (in the 1960s) was very freeform, the joke was that 'the only time the name of Jesus was heard was when the sexton fell down the stairs.' My last UU experience was a funeral (in Lou, KY) which consisted almost entirely of reminiscences by colleagues of the deceased, and the music was Mozart string quartets and selections from Gilbert & Sullivan. There is an historic UU church here in Charleston, but I've not attended it.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

- Posted      Profile for gorpo   Email gorpo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Unitarian Universalist Church is an interesting case within north-american protestantism. It started out with congregations coming from reformed, congregational and presbyterian traditions. It went trough a gradual de-christianization so that today they no longer claim to be a christian denomination anymore. You can find atheist ministers and pagan feasts being celebrated in many of its congregations.

I believe that is exactly the same process churches like ELCA (lutheran), TEC (Episcopal), PCUSA (Presbyterian), UCC (congregational) and UMC (United Methodist) are going trough. I believe that in 1 or 2 decades, at least some of these denominations will no longer claim to be christian anymore and will become completely non-creedal like the UUC is.

Well, there is at least one ELCA congregation where you can find worship of egyptian godesses and no mention of Jesus at all: http://www.herchurch.org/

There are at least a bunch of UUC congregations that are simultaneosly affiliated with the American Baptist, United Church Of Christ and United Methodist Church denominations.

Posts: 247 | From: Brazil | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Back to the OP (re Congregationalist polity being 'part of Unitarianism's DNA') and yet still continuing the tangent about Transylvania, I was interested to read in Wikipedia that
quote:
The Transylvanian and Hungarian Unitarians represent the only branch of Unitarianism not to have adopted a congregationalist polity, and remains quasi-episcopal. <snip> The Unitarian Church of Transylvania is administrated by a Bishop and two Curators-General, being divided into five Archpriestships.

So, aside from being Arians, do Transylvanian Unitarians follow Protestant or Orthodox models? And if they celebrate Easter, when do they celebrate?

The wikipaedia article implies that they look more in a Prod direction. If they are predominantly Hungarian speaking, that would also fit.

Sort of tangent alert
I was told a year or two ago that at least some Roumanian Protestant denominations follow the Orthodox calendar. There are also Georgian Baptists who are clearly Baptists and linked to other Baptists elsewhere but have ikons and in some respects look to western eyes more like Orthodoxen than Prods.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/aware of potential tangent/

Orthodoxen Baptists (or vice-versa)?

We had a joint Carol Service last Sunday with our local Baptist congregation (their minister preached a memorable homily - Two Mars bars - or the baby gets it!), and they all said how much they liked the smell of our Rosa Mystica incense.......

Sorry - I'll get me coat....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I take it that there is little continuity between the Transylvanian Unitarians (originating in C16 from Socinus?) and British and American Unitarians (originating from dissenters influenced by the Enlightenment).

I am glad you think that Anglicans are dissenters.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
So, aside from being Arians, do Transylvanian Unitarians follow Protestant or Orthodox models? And if they celebrate Easter, when do they celebrate?

The wikipaedia article implies that they look more in a Prod direction. If they are predominantly Hungarian speaking, that would also fit.

I went to Transylvania about fifteen years ago for a largely Unitarian conference, and learned a fair bit about the situation there. There's a sizeable (about a third of the population, I think) ethnic Hungarian minority; Transylvania was part of Hungary until just after WW1, when it was ceded to Romania. The Romanians are Orthodox, the ethnic Hungarians a mixture of RCs and Protestants. The Unitarians are part of mainstream Protestantism there, and share the Protestant theological college in Koloszvar/Cluj with the Reformatus, the largest Protestant denomination, and Lutherans. When I was there the principal of the college was a Unitarian (who subsequently went on to be Unitarian Bishop). As far as I could see relationships between the three denominations were very good, as they were too with the RCs, though I wasn't really sure how far ethnic solidarity trumped theological differences.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I understand that there is a lively debate going on within the denomination as to how Christian (or indeed Theist) it should be, with those who major on Reason and non-Theism having the majority. Can anyone confirm or contradict this?

I can't confirm or contradict your statement, but I used to read a very interesting British Unitarian blog that did bring to light some of the tensions in the movement.
http://pluralistspeaks.blogspot.co.uk/

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Most interesting, thank you! - especially with reference to "Thought for the Day" on Boxing Day and the ways in which American Unitarian Christmas celebrations might be going.

[ 04. January 2014, 15:45: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were Unitarians that used Catholic ceremonies.
A very interesting step - a very liberal theology with ritual - a fascinating combination, not unlike some Anglican churches, perhaps!

This interesting (pdf) article tells about some of these Unitarians. (It says its a sermon but reads as a history article!)

I don't know if this 'Free Catholic' thread is still found in Unitarianism / URC / Reformed tradition but it deserves to be found, I think.

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016