homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christmastide (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmastide
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Christmas

I hope you see that as meaning Happy Christmastide [Smile]

How was Christmas at your church?
What do you do in the period to Epiphany?
Any special celebrations / social events ?

We try to maintain worship every day even if just two or three gather in his name.

Christmas day was lovely.

This year we decided to have cake and biscuits with coffee or tea after main morning worship and we found most people stayed, and we had several new faces stayed (and lots of regulars missing!)

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had an almost 50% overall increase in numbers attending our four main services - Carol Service last Sunday afternoon, Crib Service and Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, and morning Family Mass on Christmas Day.

I knew contacting Rentacongo.com would work......though seriously, praise be to God! IIRC, increased Christmas attendance was common across the UK last year.

We also had a well-received Carol Service at our local sheltered flats a little earlier in Advent (a monthly Mass there is a recent development), and were able to welcome a number of elderly or needy visitors to a free Christmas Dinner yesterday after Mass. A new venture for us, but it seemed to hit the spot for those who came along, and we hope to do it again next year.

Tomorrow we join with a neighbouring parish for their Patronal, and then it's back to the usual round of services on Saturday. We're celebrating Epiphany on Sunday (as permitted by the C of E), and will probably give our January Evensong & Benediction (on the 19th) an Epiphany-tide flavour.

Ian J.

Happy Christmas-tide!

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had our traditional Midnight Mass and I'm very embarrassed to report that yours truly fell asleep in the armchair at home and didn't wake till after I was supposed to be at church for the choir prep before the service. I had to jump in my car and drive very fast (sorry Officer) and arrived in the nick of time. The service was wonderful and memorable, but I was very flustered as I hate being late for anything - I'm ocd about being late.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
We're celebrating Epiphany on Sunday (as permitted by the C of E)...

This amazes me! I thought we were jumping the gun by celebrating Epiphany on 5 January. I'm gobsmacked that the C of E allows this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the Common Worship lectionary does call it the 'Second Sunday of Christmas or The Epiphany', with a note to use the lections for January 6th if required. January 6th is clearly referred to as Epiphany, and I expect we shall celebrate it at Morning Prayer on the day.

It all sounds a bit cack-handed, I know, but one is more likely to get a reasonable congregation to celebrate what is, after all, a major Festival, on the Sunday.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, the Common Worship lectionary does call it the 'Second Sunday of Christmas or The Epiphany', with a note to use the lections for January 6th if required. ...

But the Second Sunday of Christmas is 5 January - not this Sunday (29 December).
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you think the reason was for the great increase in attendance Bishops F?
Congratulations to your church for doing it!

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Corvo - you are quite right, and I can only assume that too much Christmas cheer has had a deleterious effect.....we are celebrating Epiphany on 5th January, a day ahead - this Sunday is, of course, the First Sunday of Christmas.... [Hot and Hormonal]

Clotilde - I'm really not quite sure why we have had such a large increase in attendance this Christmas! Our regular congregation has grown slightly over the last year, but our ASA is still only 30-40. We do work hard at publicity, personal invitation, pastoral contacts at social/fundraising events etc., so one can but hope that some fruit is now being harvested.

Ian J.

--------------------

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Thanks Ian J. It sounds as if you work hard at things and I am pleased it has been blessed with good results.

I wonder sometimes how much leafleting an area actually works. Oh yes its good because it raises the profile of the church, but does it bring people across the htrshold. personal invitation seems to work best, but we need to have courage to do that, and I know I don't!

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas at our place was lovely -- I'm told that there was very good attendance at the Christmas Eve 'Family Mass' (5 pm) which is a high mass with the Liturgy of the Word expanded/distorted to include the kiddies' pageant.
The 11 pm High Mass (with 30 min of music preceeding) was well attended (approx 150) with almost all of them being visitors. All went well, including some tricky choral stuff. Trumpet, flute, oboe & cello assisting.
Christmas morning was low mass with hymns at 10 am, about 30 in the house. (I got to play, thus not breaking my record; I've played Christmas Day mass somewhere every year since 1966.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:
Well, the Common Worship lectionary does call it the 'Second Sunday of Christmas or The Epiphany', with a note to use the lections for January 6th if required. ...

But the Second Sunday of Christmas is 5 January - not this Sunday (29 December).
I think Bishops Finger probably meant the second sunday of Christmas. So, when he said that they were "celebrating Epiphany on Sunday," it seems to me that he meant the nearest sunday, Jan. 5.

Edit: Ignore this. I had an old window open, so I didn't see the new response of Bishops Finger. But I was right. Yay!

[ 26. December 2013, 22:21: Message edited by: k-mann ]

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a great Christmas. On the 22nd (the fourth Sunday of Advent), my old parish in Bergen (Norway) had Nine Lessons and Carols. On Christmas Eve, at my home parish an hour outside Bergen, we had a traditional Norwegian Christmas Eve service, with lots of hymns and a good sermon, and on Christmas Day we had a great High Mass. I was in the ‘choir’ (the people leading the singing), as I have been at least the last 7-8 years. But this was probably the last one. Next year, I will probably work as a priest.

I will also probably go to the Midnight service on New Year’s Eve (at around 11 PM), and I will attend an annual ecclesial conference on January 3-5 (where I usually meet (now) Msgr. John Broadhurst). I am what one might call a Norwegian Anglo-Catholic (if that makes sense). I am part of the Catholic or High Church movement in the Church of Norway.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Clotilde - we have a geographically small and compact parish, and it is our custom to deliver a free newsletter four times a year to every home in the parish (or as many as we can manage). I know that we do get some baptism enquiries from this, for example, but it's difficult to say how effective it might be. Now and then peeps tell us that they saw it 'in yer magazine, innit'.

We tend to work on the basis that, if you attempt nothing, you will achieve nothing, but if you attempt something, something may be achieved! We do believe, however, that personal contacts and invitations are best.

Ian J.

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carol Service on the evening of the 22nd, short service on Christmas morning, and an off-duty Andy went to his local parish church for Midnight Communion.

This Sunday we mop up the carols we haven't yet used (being on loan to the Presbyterians, they don't do carols in the new year). In the meantime, here is a song that the thread title made me think of...

Christmastide, Mistletoe and wide,
Children having a one-horse sleigh ride,
With logs on the fire and gifts off the tree,
A time to have rows over the gifts they don't see.

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
I am part of the Catholic or High Church movement in the Church of Norway.

Send some of that over here, k-mann. We are hanging on by a thread in the ELCA.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised at the small size of the congregation at the church I went to. An inner city Methodist church, the one where I went to Sunday school. Usually churches do better on Christmas day, but the 'normal' services I've attended there in recent months were much better attended.

And I don't think I'd ever been to a Christmas day service before where there were no kids! I was glad to miss the obsession with little children and their Christmas presents, but it was odd to see no kids at all.

I didn't ask the folk there what had happened, but I certainly will the next time I see any of them.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Could it be that the younger families were out and about visiting relatives (having perhaps been to e.g. Carol/Christingle/Crib service)?

Christmas is sometimes difficult logistically if, as is common in our part of the world, the families are rather fragmented/reconstituted.....

Ian J.

--------------------

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

We were Holy Family Sunday today, 29th December. The Mass included though the Carol 'Unto us a boy is born'. Low numbers but devotional.

I always find this confused chronology at this time of the year slightly muddling - so today we had the flight into Egypt, next Sunday we have the Wise men coming. I can imagine a bright child saying but they are not at home they have gone to Egypt [Smile]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Agreed re confused chronology! Holy Innocents yesterday, flight into Egypt today, Wise Men next Sunday, and the Baptism of Jesus the Sunday after (with The Naming/Circumcision of Jesus on New Year's Day - Mass re-timed for 12 noon).

Low-ish numbers today, as was to be expected (though more than last year) - many off sick with The Lurgy or on holiday - but some very welcome new people and visitors.

Ian J.

--------------------

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Yes, a lot of coughing going on at Church this morning, I noticed. There is a lot going around.

We have a special Eucharist on new Years Day for the New Year - praying for God's blessing on it and upon ourselves. Its late in the morning to allow those who stayed up for the New Year to attend.

Its not a different liturgy just rather a marking of the new year with prayer.

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, the Common Worship lectionary does call it the 'Second Sunday of Christmas or The Epiphany', with a note to use the lections for January 6th if required. January 6th is clearly referred to as Epiphany, and I expect we shall celebrate it at Morning Prayer on the day.

It all sounds a bit cack-handed, I know, but one is more likely to get a reasonable congregation to celebrate what is, after all, a major Festival, on the Sunday.

Ian J.

Yep, we're doing the same.....

Now a conundrum for you. It is traditional to take down the Christmas decorations on Twelfth Night, the eve of the Epiphany
If you celebrate Epiphany on the Sunday a day early, should the Christmas deccies be taken down on the Saturday or the Sunday?
( I'm talking of at home rather than in church,btw)

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made it though Lessons and Carols today. We still have the Children's Pageant next Sunday. (It was moved to make time for the children to meet and rehearse, AND make it more calming for the adults).

In total the Christmas Eve services (12, 5 and 11) had 100 more people than we were expecting [Ultra confused] .

I'm still wondering where the new people are coming from...BTW so is the Bishop, and how to make it happen other places.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:

In total the Christmas Eve services (12, 5 and 11) had 100 more people than we were expecting [Ultra confused] .

I'm still wondering where the new people are coming from...BTW so is the Bishop, and how to make it happen other places.

Interested by this! How does the Bishop know so quickly about the figures attending? Do you have to send in figures to the bishop's office?
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishop knows about our numbers expanding since he did his visit this month.

He is curious about what we are doing, but as I said, we have no idea where these people are coming from, but we've noticed that most seem to visit and stay.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
He is curious about what we are doing

Oh, the fun you could have with this... [Snigger]
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
Now a conundrum for you. It is traditional to take down the Christmas decorations on Twelfth Night, the eve of the Epiphany
If you celebrate Epiphany on the Sunday a day early, should the Christmas deccies be taken down on the Saturday or the Sunday?
( I'm talking of at home rather than in church,btw)

Traditional for whom? [Confused]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A more ancient tradition has decorations taken down at Candlemas. Then again, that is sometimes anticipated on the previous Sunday.....

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Olaf, just travel a few hundred miles east and you'll find the ELCA in these parts is fairly High Church.
Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

New Years Eve: Anyone seeing Watchnight Services advertised locally?

I've a feeling they are something of the past, but I think they are popular in some denominations - don't the Methodists in some places like them, for example.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may well be right; none of our local Baptist churches seem to be holding one, but the Elim Pentecostals are and the New Frontiers church has a "New Year Extravaganza" from 8pm.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Happy Pebble
Shipmate
# 2731

- Posted      Profile for Happy Pebble   Email Happy Pebble   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:
New Years Eve: Anyone seeing Watchnight Services advertised locally?

That's something I grew up with, and miss. Seems to be a forgotten tradition. Made perfect sense to me as a kid--what better way to start celebrating the New Year than church?

[fixed code]

[ 01. January 2014, 09:07: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
Creamy Wibbibs. Mr. Habib, you're the evils of Darkon!

Posts: 62 | From: Kingdom of Deseret | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Souls Langham Place has a Watchnight Service (I knew I'd seen a poster up somewhere.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

I think it never really caught on in the Church of England except maybe in certain 'low churches'. I honestly can't say I've come across it in any C of E church outside a big city, and not much in big cities either - but as we hear All Souls Langham Place.

Would be interesting to know if a Cathedral has or ever had one.

Maybe there is enough going on at this time of the year without adding an extra!

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by ORGANMEISTER:
Olaf, just travel a few hundred miles east and you'll find the ELCA in these parts is fairly High Church.

Yes, that's very true. Unfortunately, we are slipping ever lower and lower in this Region, which unfortunately is where Churchwide HQ is located. I'm hoping that the new presiding bishop, from out closer to you, steers us farther away from the Low Church Upper Midwestern liturgical leanings and training of all of the former ELCA presiding bishops/presidents.
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
A more ancient tradition has decorations taken down at Candlemas. Then again, that is sometimes anticipated on the previous Sunday.....

Yup. In our parish and my own home, the crèche stays up through Candlemas. The trees and other decorations come down the week after Epiphany.
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A moderately sized congregation for Christmas but this is not unusual when it comes in the midst of the summer holidays. Son came with his new foster family of teens and was sorry not to catch up with some old friends, who it turned out were celebrating family Christmas in other parts of the country; this accounted for quite a few other absentees, while there were a handful of visiting members of other families. Son also commented that he didn't know any of the songs/carols, so I must make sure that next year some of the traditional ones are included; goodness' knows we've been singing them during Advent.

The crib was occupied again, as at the children's Starshine Service the evening before, by my lifesize baby doll Barbara, now 77 years old but still doing her annual stint as Baby Jesus. I think it's time she went to the dolls' hospital for some rejuvenating surgery.

Clergy summer holidays mean that for 4 weeks we share services. Last Sunday the local Anglicans and neighbouring Uniting folk turned up (with their clergy), while for the next three Sundays we go visiting. We really enjoy getting together with old friends in this way; there have been times when we combined with St Luke's for things like church camp and even youth group, but it's always depended on the incumbent vicar and, I think, by some traditionalists in his/her congregation.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Botox for baby Jesus [Eek!]

As well as having some trad carols you could send him a copy of the cd "Carol Our Christmas" next Advent if you use some of that music. There is also the book of words and music that goes with it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
Yup. In our parish and my own home, the crèche stays up through Candlemas. The trees and other decorations come down the week after Epiphany.

Curious and surprising linguistic usage here that I hadn't met before. A model nativity in a church here is called a 'crib'. A 'crèche' is the provision of childcare/supervision for small children while their parents are doing something else. In a church context, this something that is often provided during a service.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:

Curious and surprising linguistic usage here that I hadn't met before. A model nativity in a church here is called a 'crib'. A 'crèche' is the provision of childcare/supervision for small children while their parents are doing something else. In a church context, this something that is often provided during a service.
Yes, all of the devotional books from England that I have use the term "Christmas Crib." But in the US, the French word crèche, which also means crib, has long been used for the Nativity scene. Of course, some just call it a manger scene, but in church, it is most frequently referred to as a crèche. It has been this way since long before I was born.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what word do you use to describe what we call a 'crèche'?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"nursery" or "childcare".

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In France what the British call a 'creche' is sometimes called une 'nursery
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Now we are at 2nd January and beyond but still in Christmastide I'm wondering when it (Christmastide) ends.

Part of me says the day after Epiphany. Oh I know we talk about the Baptism and the Presentation on Feb 2, but do we keep Christmas trees up so long? When do we take Christmas cards down at home? When is the nativity scene put away at Church?

Many different answers I guess, and what is done, will, I'm sure suit the local community its done in and may differ from neighbours.

For myself house decorations go down the day after Twelfth Night - so they are up for Twelfth night.

At church I think the nativity set goes away after Epiphany but not sure.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the church. Christmastide can end at Candlemas or Presentation at the Temple - 2nd February. So some decorations could be kept up until then.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Yes, indeed.

The trouble is that 'some decorations' up until February 2nd suggests a fading away - decorations diminishing. Mind you I suppose we don't say feb 2nd is a climax, rather an ending.

The trouble is as Christians we don't keep the decorations up at home until Feb 2nd (do we? - perhaps some do).

--------------------

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Now that the Feast of the Epiphany is over I've taken down decorations at home, and it seems like back to work and back to school for the world.

We had a lovely celebration of Epiphany, and church remains in white for a while. However the trees have gone and most of the decorations.

I don't think there are any particular extras, traditional customs or ceremonies or whatever for the Feast of Jesus' Baptism - are there?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to Plough Sunday this coming weekend.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

I thought it was a Monday - Plough Monday - where did I get that from?

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Looking forward to Plough Sunday this coming weekend.

The only ploughs in evidence on this side of the Atlantic, north of FLorida, say, are snow ploughs. As likely to be cursed (for leaving large mounds of snow at the bottom of city driveways) as blessed (for clearing the streets in the first place).

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking to start another thread on the 'carrying over' of Christmas, but this thread also seems suitable.

How long can and should any reference to the actual Nativity go on for? Modern C. of E. practice includes the wearing of white vestments and other references until Candlemass, even though the Mass Readings are firmly based on 'Sundays after Ephipany'. Of course, we took down our Christmas decorations, and I've even eaten most of my selection box so it seems odd to be looking back in this way even if it would be nice to have a few reminders of the midwinter fun to keep us going...

Also, if anybody is keeping Septuagesimatide I'd love to hear about it!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016