homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So, what can I expect at a Church of England service? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: So, what can I expect at a Church of England service?
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is "sprinkling" being confused with effusion of water here? Effusion, i.e. pouring of water upon the head, is the more common and recognised form of baptising infants or small children. Sprinkling has been in some doubt, as the principle is that the water must flow -- in sprinkling one needs to get enough water on the target to actually wet it, as opposed to simply slinging droplets around the general vicinity.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. I don't remember ever seeing sprinkling used for baptism.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does raise an interesting point - have any Salvationists or Quakers been refused Communion in recent years? I can't imagine it happening even if it was against the rules for them to receive.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I picked up the "sprinkling" from the earlier post, and assumed it was meant as a light-hearted reference to effusion - which is our practice - rather than immersion.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Yes. I don't remember ever seeing sprinkling used for baptism.

Sprinkling was used by some Methodists (possibly still is), whilst other Methodist ministers baptised by effusion. I was told as a teenager by our vicar - a CofE priest who was serving in TEC - that Anglicans would not automatically recognise Methodist baptisms, since it was necessary to determine whether such had been done by effusion (valid) or by sprinkling (possibly invalid). I would think that must have been a position within the CofE (whether official or not, I don't know) -- I would be surprised if the US Episcopal Church would have been officially so scrupulous, even though Anglicans to my knowledge never baptism with sprinkling (the Methodists who do so use a small aspergillium for the purpose).

For clarification, this was more than 40 years ago.

Here endeth the tangent (I hope).

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dropped in a lovely church for the parish's only sunday service- was warmly welcomed.

The rest can be concatenated thus:
Lady Vicar
NRSV
CW, including Pseudo-Hippolytus, notwithstanding which
Communion was reverently celebrated
Hymns nicely sung and organ top-notch
But
Most of the church was empty
The congregation, grey and bald, but for a lady, three lassies and yours truly, sat in the chancel.

Lady Vicar's sermon was good, and even though she celebrated CW, her sermon was on the merits of the BCP 1922 Lectionary.

Overall, mixed bag, more on the sad side. I'm against WO and CW. But the community was clearly struggling to stay alive and that was touching, and the lady vicar was trying her best.

[ 12. February 2014, 15:26: Message edited by: Gottschalk ]

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016