homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Reservation and the CofE (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Reservation and the CofE
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
This is a mistake: the rite of Communion is an interpolation or addition, and not a necessary part of the Sacrifice, which is completed when the priest receives the Body and Blood.

I doubt that this view is the norm among mainstream Roman Catholics. It is certainly not the Anglican view which is the only one relevant to this thread.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
This is a mistake: the rite of Communion is an interpolation or addition, and not a necessary part of the Sacrifice, which is completed when the priest receives the Body and Blood.

I doubt that this view is the norm among mainstream Roman Catholics. It is certainly not the Anglican view which is the only one relevant to this thread.
As far as I am concerned, it is a statement of fact (historical and theological), which was offered to explain why communicating from the reserved sacrament need not be anathema.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is a non-communicating Mass canonically or rubrically allowed in either the C of E, other Anglican Provinces, or the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite? (I think it is still allowed in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.) What about in Orthodoxy?
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
Is a non-communicating Mass canonically or rubrically allowed in either the C of E, other Anglican Provinces, or the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite? (I think it is still allowed in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.) What about in Orthodoxy?

I am not sure about canonically, but I think that even when non-communicating High Mass existed in the CofE, there would always have been a few infirm people who would have received - those who were not able to get to the 8am service. Apart from them - everyone stayed in their seat.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nothing I can find in Common Worship forbids it, nor (oddly) in the Canons, though the BCP does (IIRC).

The GIRM has an explicit section for masses sine populo, so it's definitely allowed: it does presume that where there is a congregation, there will be some who receive, but this isn't, I think, proscriptive.

It is more than "allowed" in the EF: this was the normal shape of the Mass for over a thousand years...

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is a mistake: the rite of Communion is an interpolation or addition, and not a necessary part of the Sacrifice, which is completed when the priest receives the Body and Blood. There are different graces to be received from hearing Mass and from Communicating, though we felicitously combine them these days. It can even exist independent of the offering of the Sacrifice, as at Orthodox liturgies of the presanctified, or the giving of the viaticum, or the Good Friday liturgy (where the people receive as well): I agree that the ideal would be to receive from the Hosts consecrated at the same Mass, but this is usually impractical. The Sanctissimum is the Sanctissimum is the Sanctissimum, as far as catholic theology is concerned, so reception of it confers the same graces regardless of when it was consecrated.

I'm not quite sure which of the subsequent posts also to quote, but I am fairly convinced that the above is not correct.

There is a long standing tension over the centuries between those who emphasise the sacrificial element of the Eucharist, that which it derives from Christ's fulfilment of the OT sacrifices, and those who emphasise the supper elements, that which it derives from the Last Supper and Passover. Much of the Catholic criticism of the Protestant understanding is that it ignores the former and only seems to recognise the latter. However, I do not think that however Catholic a person may be, they can actually throw off completely any element of the Last Supper/Passover understanding of the Eucharist.

Nor and this is very fundamental theology, are there different sorts of graces, either as a general principle or as imparted by different parts of the sacrament. That really is a very erroneous idea.

Obviously, I cannot speak for my own, yet alone other ecclesial communities. However I would be surprised to discover that there is any ecclesial community that takes a different view on either of the last two paragraphs.

Furthermore, if one accepts the concepts of benediction and adoration of the sacrament, which is not universal in Christendom, this is because the elements are the body and blood of Christ in the Mass. Adoration and benediction derive from that fact. They are secondary consequences of it, not something that exists independently of it.

I have not got time or access to the right resources at the moment, but I'm under the fairly certain impression that so far as the Church of England is concerned, services of holy communion where either no one or only the priest communicates are not permitted. That is not to say they may have never happened. Clearly in some circles they have. However, they are not supposed to have done. They are also definitely alien to the 'normal' C of E way of doing things. My recollection is that it is the combined effect of the various rubrics in the BCP that if there is nobody else to receive, the service has to stop at the end of ante-communion.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I have not got time or access to the right resources at the moment, but I'm under the fairly certain impression that so far as the Church of England is concerned, services of holy communion where either no one or only the priest communicates are not permitted.

They are certainly not encouraged. You are right that the BCP rubrics forbid the practice. I imagine that the reason that the rubrics of the new rites don't mention it is that non-communicating celebrations were virtually non-existent by the time they were drawn up. I don't know what canon law says on the matter.

However, there is a distinction between actually prohibiting the laity from receiving (which I guess rarely happened, even if they were discouraged, in the bad old days) and prohibiting the celebration of the eucharist in the absence of communicants. If there is a congregation, and the priest gets as far as the communion, it's a fait accompli anyway even if nobody comes up to receive.

I attended a most bizarre eucharist recently (not in an extreme anglo-catholic church) where the priest explained, in deference to the large number of Muslims present, that only he would receive communion. [Confused] [Disappointed] That begs so many questions.

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

But the priest always receives. He must, to make the Sacrifice complete (which is why a bell is sometimes rung at that moment). Doing so he represents, as in so much else, the whole plebs sancta Dei. How else are private Masses allowed? You may say that they aren't, or shouldn't be, but they are the constant practice of the Western Church for centuries.

In re the CofE: the rubrics of the BCP do not bind universally, unless using that book, I think. And as I say, I can't find a prohibition in the canons (which surprised me as well): perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

I was perhaps too hasty when I spoke of different graces: what I meant was that one can receive grace by hearing the Mass. Since we know that the reception of the sacrament also effects grace (ex opere operato if you like), then we have discerned two modes of God's operation in respect to the Holy Sacrifice. Inextricably bound up, yes, but distinct.

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Nothing I can find in Common Worship forbids it, nor (oddly) in the Canons, though the BCP does (IIRC).

The GIRM has an explicit section for masses sine populo, so it's definitely allowed: it does presume that where there is a congregation, there will be some who receive, but this isn't, I think, proscriptive.

It is more than "allowed" in the EF: this was the normal shape of the Mass for over a thousand years...

I think the GIRM for the Ordinary Form does not allow it. A Mass Sine Populo is exactly what it sounds like - there is no congregation so there is no question about offering communion to them.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Roman Catholics, it's not a matter of rubric, but of canon law: you can only prevent someone from receiving communion at Mass if they are obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin. Unless everyone in the congregation is in this condition, you can't plan to have a Mass in which you don't offer communion. Now, if the people spontaneously all chose to refrain from receiving, that's another story.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
For Roman Catholics, it's not a matter of rubric, but of canon law: you can only prevent someone from receiving communion at Mass if they are obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin. Unless everyone in the congregation is in this condition, you can't plan to have a Mass in which you don't offer communion. Now, if the people spontaneously all chose to refrain from receiving, that's another story.

Does this currently apply to the Extraordinary Form as well?
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the priest always receives. He must, to make the Sacrifice complete

I have been present when a priest consecrated bread and wine for lay servers to take to sick parishioners, and no-one ate or drank at that time. As the priest was not one of those intending to take the sacrament to the sick that day, I am pretty sure they did not communicate themselves. I think I've seen that more than once.

As I said before I'd prefer that we used bread and wine from the normal Sunday celebration for this rather than have a little private ceremony in the vestry or the vicarage, but I know that isn't always practical. (It probably would have been practical in this case but some of the priests at the church I am thinking of seem to have very little sense of the sacramental. Some people just don't "get" music or poetry or painting opr sport or some other art form - these clergy don't seem to "get" ritual or drama or sacrament. Just not part of their personal makeup)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's in the Code (915), so binding on all Latin Rite Roman Catholics regardless of which form of that rite they're celebrating. It may well be different in other rites, I don't know.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

I have been present when a priest consecrated bread and wine for lay servers to take to sick parishioners, and no-one ate or drank at that time. As the priest was not one of those intending to take the sacrament to the sick that day, I am pretty sure they did not communicate themselves. I think I've seen that more than once.
That is definitely irregular in the C of E. Both the BCP and Common Worship say that the priest must receive the sacrament on every occasion.
quote:

As I said before I'd prefer that we used bread and wine from the normal Sunday celebration for this rather than have a little private ceremony in the vestry or the vicarage, but I know that isn't always practical. (It probably would have been practical in this case but some of the priests at the church I am thinking of seem to have very little sense of the sacramental. Some people just don't "get" music or poetry or painting opr sport or some other art form - these clergy don't seem to "get" ritual or drama or sacrament. Just not part of their personal makeup)

I think this is what some of us are getting at when we suggest that many modern evangelicals in the C of E are just not in the Anglican tradition. Anglicanism has always 'got' liturgy and sacraments even when these were celebrated in a very simple and minimalist way.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Yes, it's in the Code (915), so binding on all Latin Rite Roman Catholics regardless of which form of that rite they're celebrating. It may well be different in other rites, I don't know.

I have a copy of the 2nd edition of Fortescue's book and he says "any Catholic has normally a right to present himself for Communion at any Mass, on condition that he is in a state of grace and fasting from midnight" so I would surmise that while non-communicating masses were customary they were not law.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

When I have consecrated for home communions, I've always done so as part of a public celebration of the Eucharist (usually but not always in church on Sunday). I would never want to do such a consecration separately from a full celebration of the Eucharist, which necessarily includes the communion of at least the presiding minister.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB] But the priest always receives. He must, to make the Sacrifice complete [QB]

That assumes you believe that it is a sacrifice. Many Anglicans don't.

In any event the sacrifice was complete on the cross.

[ 10. January 2014, 22:36: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
[QB] But the priest always receives. He must, to make the Sacrifice complete [QB]

The joke's on them, then, since the word "sacrifice" appears at least twice in the BCP communion service.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Roman Catholic canon which requires that any Catholic present and properly prepared to receive the Sacrament has the right to do so is not new. It is mentioned in Fortescue's Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Explained, first published in 1917. (My copy is a later edition, so I cannot be entirely certain as to the date of the canon.)

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A St Paul deals with Christians at Corinth who do not want to eat meat offered to idols. Which means that the meat of animals offered in sacrifice was not eaten as part of the religious rite, but put on sale at the market for consumption at home. The eating of the meat was not part of the religious sacrifice at least in Corinth.

B Whether or not the Eucharistic action is a sacrifice, communion is an essential part of the action. The presiding priest will at least communicate, but in theory all the faithful present may well do so, and now often do. To ascribe outstanding significance to the communion of the priest above that of anybody else is a very misleading bit of clericalism.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is truth in both assertions about the 'rights' of Catholics to present themselves for Communion at any Mass.
Old Missals often omit the texts used at the Communion of the Faithful.Indeed this Communion could be seen as an interpolation as,after the priest's communion,if people presented themselves, the altar server would begin the prayer Confiteor... and the priest would give Absolution followed by Domine,non sum dignus.This was exactly the rite used for the distribution of Holy Communion outside of Mass. In the really olden days Holy Communion,strange as it may now seem,was often administered outside of Mass,usually due to fasting regulations.I can remember this practice until the beginning of the 1960s.With one of the changes to the Missal, perhaps in 1962, the rite of Communion was made an integral part of the rite of Mass.The priest would say 3 times Domine,non sum dignus.. and then communicate himself and any of the faithful who presented themselves without the separate rite.
A Missal printed in 1910 has the following about Communion:
Here Holy Communion is administered,if any of the Faithful are desirous of receiving it,and should the Mass be one where Holy Communion can be conveniently given.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
quote:

The joke's on them, then, since the word "sacrifice" appears at least twice in the BCP communion service.
That assumes that the BCP has got it right, of course. OMMV.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

[Snore] [Snore] I thought that controversy was knocked on its head years ago. Of course there is only one sacrifice: the point of the mass/eucharist/Lord's Supper is that it allows us to participate in it.

--------------------

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another associated issue is that of the Sanctuaty Lamp to indicate the presence of the Sacrament. Has the use of these increased over time in non Anglo-Catholic parishes, or have they tended to be introduced at the same time as reservation?
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
[Snore] [Snore] I thought that controversy was knocked on its head years ago. Of course there is only one sacrifice: the point of the mass/eucharist/Lord's Supper is that it allows us to participate in it.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Stonespring:

quote:
Are there any rules anywhere in the Anglican Communion for disposing of reserved consecrated bread and wine that has been kept to long to be consumed? In the RCC, the consecrated wine needs to be poured into a drain that goes directly into the ground and not into a sewer. The consecrated hosts need to be buried or burned.
Hosts last a surprisingly long time in a dry, airtight environment. One year we reserved the 'secret' on Good Friday and then forgot all about it. We were reminded when we opened the aumbry in the Lady Chapel the year after to find the missing ciborium and its contents! After a momentary hesitation I reverently consumed them. They were in a perfectly acceptable condition.

The other bit of advice I remember reading on these boards some years ago is that if a host is not fit for human consumption it can be left in water. When it disintegrates it ceases to be the Body of Christ and the resulting slurry can be poured into the consecrated earth. I don't think that I imagined it but I would be intrigued to know what others think of this practice.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is what I have seen done when someone coughed up the Host.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Hosts last a surprisingly long time in a dry, airtight environment.

Yes we do - I'll assume this a compliment on my skin-tone...

Ahem.

Just to remind all and sundry that the discussion about the nature of the Sacrifice of the Mass vs. memorialism is a tangent to this thread and would probably require a thread of its own to do it justice. Perhaps for current purposes we can assume that Anglicans are permitted to reserve the Sacrament under at least some circumstances without being considered to be idolatrous and take it from there...

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but can you fit an Ecclesiantics Host into a monstrance? [Big Grin]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That presumably depends on how monstrous the monstrance is, though not (I hope) on how monstrous the Host is.

Perhaps you'd like to de-monstrate.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Ahem.

Getting back to the subject, our place has a nice aumbry in the north wall of the chancel, wot is seemly, edifying, and pleasing to Bishops, as enny fule kno.

However.....a previous Vicar (back in the 1920s) with baroque tastes moved the High Altar forward to make space at the far west end of the church for a small chapel facing the said aumbry, which chapel he adorned with an altar, some wooden candlesticks (alas, now attacked by woodworm), a corona, and some angels - all of gold-painted wood, and believed to be of Central European origin.........

......whether or not he ever obtained a faculty for this extravaganza, I know not!

It is, however, a useful space for quiet prayer and meditation (and for Sunday Matins), and this, ISTM, is where having a separate space for Reservation can be helpful.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly not good Church of England woodworm

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Sounds lovely, bf.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the contrary. They are clearly a crack squad of Protestant woodworm (subspecies Jensenensis), specially bred in the precincts of St Andrew's cathedral and despatched by post worldwide to bring down all trappings of popish idolatry.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not so sure. I suspect that (given the Central European provenance of the said candlesticks) the woodworm are of the egregious Romanian or Bulgarian variety, deliberately allowed into this country under those awful EU regulations to take away the jobs and livelihood of honest English woodworm!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sure--but then the question arises, if they don't think the BCP has it right then why are they Anglican?

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Sure--but then the question arises, if they don't think the BCP has it right then why are they Anglican?
I think if everyone who differed on some point or other with the BCP left the church'd be even emptier than it is now. Considerably so.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As others as well as me have said before, you don't choose the CofE because you agree with the entire package, like you might if you become a Mormon. Most of us have grown up CofE. Even it we haven't, the CofE is the default Christianity for those who are just Christian. There is nothing like the same obligation to be committed to the BCP, Common Worship or whatever, as there is to the basic truths of the Christian Faith and the historic creeds.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Most of us have grown up CofE. Even it we haven't, the CofE is the default Christianity for those who are just Christian.

Exactly. This is why the 'Anglican Communion' has always been more or less dysfunctional: in most places outside England people actually choose 'Anglicanism' as a denomination. It leads to many crossed wires and misunderstandings not least here on the Ship.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016