homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Jehovah (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jehovah
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I am quite sure there was a time when Jehovah was a popular use. It is not just Guide me O thou Great Jehovah but
  • Jehovah's Perfect Law
  • Before Jehovah's awful throne
  • Like a River Glorious with its chorus: "Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest"
  • Hallelujah Praise Jehovah

Now most have dropped from common use, and I think the use of "Jehovah" is part of it, the same way you tend not to get hymns with "Ebenezer" (yes they do exist) and "Zion" and "Salem" (short for Jerusalem). Given also that quite a few of these are actually metrical psalm I suspect that the requirements of meter had something to do with the original use.

I think I am against the removal of "Jehovah" on the whole. On the grounds they are pretty rarely used these days (except "O Guide me "), and there is a good chance it will render, the already mangled, completely incomprehensible.

Jengie

I've noticed that it appears more often in worship songs, or at least a certain type of worship song.

We might also note that in Rastafarianism the shortened form of Jehovah - Jah - is ubiquitous. The use of Jah is also used by Christians, due partly to the influence of reggae music.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just got told by Jehovah people, that Jesus was not killed in a "square" bit of a tree, but just the bit straight up and He was pinned in with his hands high up. We always believe that it is the one that many were killed in that had the bits above and across. What is "real"?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
We just got told by Jehovah people, that Jesus was not killed in a "square" bit of a tree, but just the bit straight up and He was pinned in with his hands high up. We always believe that it is the one that many were killed in that had the bits above and across. What is "real"?

Roman crucifixion was done on T-shape crosses afaik. Not sure about the bit above.

Jehovahs Witnesses use a different Bible FYI.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difference of the JWs translation is often greatly exaggerated. It's mostly a pretty straightforward updating of the mainstream AV/RV/RSV tradition, a bit oldfashioned, with some of the Trinitarian prooftexts translated differently. Some in ways that would have some scholarly support.

It's easy to find websites listing the bad bits of the translation from an orthodox Christian point of view. To be honest there aren't many more of them than there are dubious bits of OT readings in the NEB, or deliberately sexisms in the NIV (The NIV NT is significantly less gender neutral than the AV. Or the original Greek. It arbitrarily and unnecessarily introduces words like "he", "him", and "man" where there is no textual warrant for it)

As far as I know, which isn't that far as I have never really studied it, the New World Translation has two really big bugbears. The worst one seems to be the way it turns talk of the Spirit of God into an impersonal force rather than a person.

And then there is their obsession with the idea that the Cross had no crossbar. I have no idea why they care about that so much but they do. If you look up "cross" in a JW Bible Dictionary (I did, last week) it cross references to "torture stake". (The other entries I looked up all semed quite OK to me)

As far as I know there is evidence that Romans crucified people on both T-shaped and +-shaped crosses, and possibly X-shaped and single stakes as well. And there is no evidence as to which one Jesus was killed on in the New Testament, but a strong and early tradition that it was cross-shaped (though not unanimous I think, there are some early pictures of crucifixion on a T-cross) I don't see why it really matters and I don't know why the JWs do think its so important.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the business about the cross is because the koine Greek for cross is stauros, which means a stake. The Latin is crux (= cross) and since it was the Romans who did the crucifying I think they can be counted as reliable in the matter.

The usual reason given for the Greek word is that regular places of execution would have had the uprights fixed in the ground - which makes sense if you think about it. Hard-baked earth would be very resistant to regular excavation and give support to a heavy object like a cross. You would have to carry the crossbeam, but it would mean once dead you could be brought down rapidly, and the next unfortunate crucified. I only pass this one on - I can't see what difference it makes either way to be honest.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly some of the more anti-orthodox-Christianity Messianics* I know also refer to the cross as the 'torture stake' and view the cross as a Constantinian/RCC invention. No idea why other than to discredit the RCC (most Messianics I know are very anti-Catholic).

*not from a Jewish background, these are gentile Messianics

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Did you get any sense from them about what (if any) difference that makes theologically? It seems to me the important thing is that Jesus died for our sins, not what the exact implement of execution was.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They still believe that Jesus saved us and loves us. But they don't like the tree with the two bits of it, up and across.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They still believe that Jesus saved us and loves us.

Maybe, but they have a pretty strange view of exactly how many are going to Heaven.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Maybe, but they have a pretty strange view of exactly how many are going to Heaven.
Yes, but some of that is the rather Biblically defensible notion that the vast majority aren't destined for the Temple worship in the eternal presence of God in heaven but for the resurrection in the new Earth.

(why am I defending the JWs so much?)

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Yes, but some of that is the rather Biblically defensible notion that the vast majority aren't destined for the Temple worship in the eternal presence of God in heaven but for the resurrection in the new Earth.

(why am I defending the JWs so much?)

--------------------
Ken

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Interestingly some of the more anti-orthodox-Christianity Messianics* I know also refer to the cross as the 'torture stake' and view the cross as a Constantinian/RCC invention. No idea why other than to discredit the RCC (most Messianics I know are very anti-Catholic).

Are they Messianics or Sacred Namers? The latter get very exercised about Jesus' name, and maintain that he should be called Yeshua because Jesus is not "right" : "The Hebrew language doesn't even have a J," they point out.

Of course, they continue to refer to Joseph, Mary, James and other NT personages by the Anglicized versions of the Hellenized versions of their Hebrew or Aramaic names...

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

Are they Messianics or Sacred Namers? The latter get very exercised about Jesus' name, and maintain that he should be called Yeshua because Jesus is not "right" : "The Hebrew language doesn't even have a J," they point out.

Of course, they continue to refer to Joseph, Mary, James and other NT personages by the Anglicized versions of the Hellenized versions of their Hebrew or Aramaic names...

Messianics (and use Hebrew/Aramaic names for everyone in the Bible). Only celebrate OT festivals, no Christmas/Easter, keep to OT food laws etc.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016