homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Feast of Presentation - how and ideas... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Feast of Presentation - how and ideas...
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year the Feast of the Presentation falls on a Sunday, 2nd February 2014.

Will your church be marking it in a special way, or does it give way to the normal Sunday?

Any thoughts on how it can be creatively observed?

I know the RC Church starts with the procession and, curiously, the Church of England finishes with it.

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the churches in our group is The Church of the Holy Sepulchre and uses Candlemas as its Feast of Title, so it will be a group service with a meal afterwards. White vestments, incense (the norm for us anyway though), lots of candles (of course!), ending with a procession.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some practical considerations are helpfully considered over at Pray Tell.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Hart.

I see it is mentioned that some people will take their candle home. What a lovely custom.

Trouble is I never quite know what to do with it when I get home [Smile] I think to realistically give someone a candle to take home it needs to be quite substantial or significant - not just a little ordinary candle in a cardboard circle.

--------------------

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:
This year the Feast of the Presentation falls on a Sunday, 2nd February 2014.

Will your church be marking it in a special way, or does it give way to the normal Sunday?

Any thoughts on how it can be creatively observed?

I know the RC Church starts with the procession and, curiously, the Church of England finishes with it.

The CofE rubrics allow for the Procession to take place either at the beginning or the end. It seems to me that this is one feast that is now more widely observed in the CofE - with a sung Eucharist and procession even if it doesn't fall on a Sunday - than in the RC Church which only observes it with any solemnity if it falls on a Sunday.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Yes I understand that liturgylover, but I am not quite sure why the Church of England boosted its significance. Its a greater festival in the C of E but not in many other Anglican churches where as in RC churches it is ranked feast only.

I guess its about why its thought to be significant - what the message behind the feast is. Some must think its more important than others.

--------------------

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes I understand that liturgylover, but I am not quite sure why the Church of England boosted its significance. Its a greater festival in the C of E but not in many other Anglican churches where as in RC churches it is ranked feast only.

I guess its about why its thought to be significant - what the message behind the feast is. Some must think its more important than others.

I think it would be more accurate to ask why other provinces and denominations have dropped this great feast. For the CofE it has always been marked consistently in the Prayer Books, albeit initially as The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary without the ceremonies. With its pivotal narrative looking back and forward, the bittersweet words of Luke's Gospel and the first singing of the Nunc Dimitis, it is a pity that it is not better observed across the Church.
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still red letter in Canada.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I'm UMC, I'm taking a cue from the TEC's 79 BCP and covering it. The BCP states that it takes precedence over Sundays.

Not quite certain yet what we're doing, but it will most likely involve incense, candles, and (weather permitting) a procession. I'm going to flip through the Book of Occasional Services and see what I might find. [Biased]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the issue here is, do you see a Christmas season of twelve days, or an Incarnation season of forty days, closed by the Presentation? The RCC calendar sees 12 days, then moves into Ordinary Time. The American liturgical churches using the RCL have largely followed this pattern, save for moving the Gospel for Lent II in the Catholic lectionary to the Last Sunday after Epiphany. C of E, I gather, has given much greater emphasis to the Presentation as the closing feast of a season of incarnation (another 40 days).
For Lutherans and Episcopalians in North America, there is a Christmas season that ends with the Epiphany (or the Baptism of Our Lord), and an Epiphany season (a season including the Magi, Christ's Baptism, and the wedding at Cana) that concludes with the Transfiguration (another "manifestation") on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday.
This really is the part of the liturgical calendar where there is the greatest difference between different denominations.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the Province of Australia, Candlemas has since my earliest memory never been a feature of Anglican worship. The reason why this is the case is probably quite simple - a service based on light looses significance when it is still blazingly bright outside up to 8pm or so.

The Australian Lectionary - largely the RCL - uses the term Sunday after Epiphany/Ordinary Sunday xx - with green as the recommended colour. We have not followed the CW extension of a prolonged incarnational season.

What has always been a Feast is that of the Purification of the BVM (for Anglo-Catholics) or the Presentation of Christ in the Temple (for other non-spikey Anglicans). Of course, both of those are absent from usage here in the post-Jensenite Diocese of Sydney.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it is a feast about Christ, anglo and Roman Catholics no longer talk about the Purification of the BVM.

The reason why C of E usage has the procession at the end is owing to a dubious notion that Candlemas 'turns' us away from Christmas and forward to Lent - so the procession moves to the font, people 'turn' towards it and the final responses are all about Lent.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for things to do - apart from the traditional ceremonies, i quite like dwelling on the theme of older people (like Simeon and Anna) recognising the gifts of younger people.

Maybe some sort of creative activity pairing adults and children? (We once replaced the sermon slot with adults interviewing children and vice versa and then posting up anonymous summaries.)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
As it is a feast about Christ, anglo and Roman Catholics no longer talk about the Purification of the BVM.

As usual, by "anglo-catholics" leo means "leo" [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

I think of it as the feast of presentation, too - hence the thread title.

But I also think of it as candlemas, and the blessing of candles is a traditional part of the history of the day. But how is it done, if at all, now?

I've come across, a while ago, a church where different candles were laid out on a table and blessed along with the peoples candles to be carried in the day's worship.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Steering clear of Commandment # 3 breaches would be good.

Good as in obligatory.

Even if that line hasn't quite be breached. Yet. Perhaps.

/ Hosting

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
Here in the Province of Australia, Candlemas has since my earliest memory never been a feature of Anglican worship. The reason why this is the case is probably quite simple - a service based on light looses significance when it is still blazingly bright outside up to 8pm or so.

And 40+ degrees C

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The reason why C of E usage has the procession at the end is owing to a dubious notion that Candlemas 'turns' us away from Christmas and forward to Lent -

Why 'dubious notion'?

But I agree with leo's first paragraph. The post-Vatican 2 reforms brought some scriptural orthodoxy and common-sense to the liturgy. Some anglo-catholics might not agree and that is their prerogative.

[ 19. January 2014, 19:08: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that a fair proportion of our folk stroll in anywhere between the entrance hymn and the Gospel, it makes sense for us to have the procession to the font and associated prayers at the end of Mass..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

Here is a RC Candlemas ceremony for children, not at Mass, it seems to be a school liturgy.

I think it is interesting in developing the theme of Christ our Light.

Perhaps this could be an inspiration for the introduction to the Candlemas celebration - the Mass, and so involving children and adults together ...

--------------------

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Given that a fair proportion of our folk stroll in anywhere between the entrance hymn and the Gospel, it makes sense for us to have the procession to the font and associated prayers at the end of Mass..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

Or you could change the Mass time to 15 minutes later that week, but not tell anyone [Biased]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, we've already thought of that one... [Two face] but Father said No..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be kept properly as Candlemas: falling on the first Sunday it will be a Family Eucharist.

All the candles possible will be lit, chandeliers included.

We shall remember the presentation of the child Jesus to Simeon: the choir will sing Eccard's When to the temple Mary went.

Just before the sermon new Choristers will be admitted to the choir - our own young being presented to the congregation in their new guise.

Afterwards there will be cake to go with coffee and all the children present will be given a candle to take home.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

That sounds lovely and appropriate L'organist!

What hymns are suitable or used? Many set in the hymn books are not very well known.

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

L'Oganist has reminded me of the lovely Candlemas music - we always use the wonderful Eccard anthem too, as well as Hail to the Lord who Comes as a processional and a setting -last year it was Burgon's which is lovely -of the Nunc Dimitis after the candles are blessed. Another church near me even managed its own Candlemas evening service of music and readings to complement the morning Eucharist.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One year, I saw the Taizé chant "Our darkness is never darkness ..." used very effectively at the entrance, but then that was a weeknight. As our antipodean shipmates have noted, it does rather lose something on a Sunday morning in broad daylight.
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

quote:

What hymns are suitable or used? Many set in the hymn books are not very well known.

Really? Which hymn books are you looking at? The main CofE ones cite Hail to the Lord who comes, Of the Father's heart begotten, Faithful Vigil ended, Virgin-born we bow before thee, Christ whose glory fills the sky, For Mary Mother of our Lord which are all well known. Common Praise also suggests When candles are lighted on Candlemas day which is listed in the Christingle section!
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dunno about that. From the 1662:
quote:
The Purification of the Virgin Mary.

The Prefentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called, The Purification of St. Mary the Virgin

and from the American 1928:
quote:
The Presentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called The Purification of Saint Mary the Virgin, or Candlemas
At our local AC shack, the procession goes to the Shrine of Our Lady of Hardwork; and then, we flounce back to the altar to for Solemn Benediction.

Nobody bats an eyelash.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

Dunno about that. From the 1662:
quote:
The Purification of the Virgin Mary.

The Prefentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called, The Purification of St. Mary the Virgin

and from the American 1928:
quote:
The Presentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called The Purification of Saint Mary the Virgin, or Candlemas

Bit it's 2014 now! It was largely Vatican 2 that insisted that we shift our emphasis away from our Lady to Our Lord - as she wished in her lifetime.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

I suppose the compilers of the current (1959) Canadian prayer book must have missed the memo.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bit it's 2014 now!

Whence this relentless forced march into (post-)modernity? The Book of Common Prayer is only 350 years old and the 1928 American book hasn't even cracked a century.
quote:
It was largely Vatican 2 that insisted that we shift our emphasis away from our Lady to Our Lord - as she wished in her lifetime.
Through Mary to Jesus: We walk to the Lady Shrine (and remember that walk is hard work) and then we walk from the Shrine back to the altar of the most blessed sacrament of the Body and Blood of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ for solemn benediction.

From "Ye who own the faith of Jesus / sing the wonders that were done" all the way to "Praise, O Mary, praise the Father / praise thy Savior and thy Son / praise the everlasting Spirit /who hath made thee ark and throne,"¹ it's all about Jesus, it's all about the Trinity.

Ya wanna make it all about Jesus, leaving Mary out of her principal place as Champion-leader (Τη Υπερμάχω) of the Saints? I'm down with that. Knock yourself out.

But, let's leave a little breathing room for diversity for the Orthodox, the Roman Catholics, and the Mary-praising AngloCatholics.

And, let it be said, lest we forget, that Vatican 2 is the most recent council, not confirmed yet by any subsequent one. And, it was not ecumenical. A tangent for another time.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is no doubt a tangent, but surely the reason Anglo-catholics used to treat the Presentation/Purification, as well as the Annunciation, as being mainly about Mary, is because the Prayer Book had abolished the major feast of Our Lady on 15 August. Now that has been restored in Common Worship (and most other Anglican Communion calendars?) we can rebalance our perspectives a bit.

Of course Mary is the co-star in both the former feasts, but the lead character is Jesus.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
It is no doubt a tangent, but surely the reason Anglo-catholics used to treat the Presentation/Purification, as well as the Annunciation, as being mainly about Mary, is because the Prayer Book had abolished the major feast of Our Lady on 15 August. Now that has been restored in Common Worship (and most other Anglican Communion calendars?) we can rebalance our perspectives a bit.

Of course Mary is the co-star in both the former feasts, but the lead character is Jesus.

I think that's right but it's worth adding that the Prayer Book also included the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary as a feast day - also the Prayer Book Calendar marked the Visitation of the BVM; the Nativity of the BVM and the Conception of the BVM. Many Anglo-Catholic parishes dedicated to St Mary used the Visitation or Nativity for their patronal festivals prior to liturgical reform.
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

While I can see the Marian theme in the feast it for me seems only A minor theme. None of the texts (except the Scripture) in the modern Roman Missal mention purification, or, it would seem Mary.

I see a principal theme being the light of the world, the glory of God, coming among his people.

So 'brightening' the 'holy temple' 'by the splendour of ... candles' seems appropriate.

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

I don't think anyone would contest that Mary was never the central theme of the feast: as with the Circumcision (except in reverse), it's the name that's changed, not the focus.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Candlemas is about Jesus. Good. Now that we have that sorted, allow me to say, in the same sentence, Nunc dimittis and candles.
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

[Smile]

Yes, indeed silent acolyte. To me Nunc D and candles seem significant features! I do find it a little strange though to sing 'Lord now let your servant depart...' as you enter! Oh I know it doesnt mean that, but...

Christ whose Glory fills the skies, seems a good choice for the day.

And I know hiundreds will cry out 'Oh No' to - Shine Jesus Shine - however, I'd not mind it being sung on this feast at the end.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Shine Jesus, Shine

Although superficially this might seem a good idea if you read the words they refer to an adult Jesus - so not really appropriate to a 6 week old Lord, IMO.

In any case, its a cr*p song.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone possibly point me to an online resource with hymn suggestions for the day? Since the UMC doesn't observe Presentation, the General Board of Discipleship's worship page doesn't have any (they have Epiphany 4 suggestions).

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could do worse than go to the Hymnary site and either search by topic (if it's included) or appropriate Bible reference.

You could also try the Text this Week.

[ 21. January 2014, 12:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Ha! I don't know how I missed the links on TextWeek. Thank you.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Orthodox call the feast on 2 February The Meeting (ie of Simeon and Anna with Jesus).

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our offering is a procession that includes blessing of church candles (and any domestic ones that people care to bring along) and a choral Eucharist. The music harks back to Advent and Christmas, includes a Nunc dimittis, and then looks forward towards Lent.

It's one of my favourite services of the whole year - up there with the Advent procession.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours will include the blessing of candles (distributing them to the Nunc dimittis w/antiphon) and a procession with the candles outside the church, with the choir singing antiphons. And since we're blessing something, it's a great excuse for having incense, not only in the processions but also at the Introit, Gospel, and Offertory. [Smile]

"O Sion, open wide thy gates" is a little-heard but very suitable hymn for this feast.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just remembered - St Marys CoE in Tadley (Hants) always opens with the procession.

MOTR to high-ish mind so no incense or bells or sung Eucharist.

[ 25. January 2014, 21:52: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Okay, so here is how I think it is going to play out at our shack. The weather forecast is for nice, warm weather and a slight chance of rain. We can work with that. So we're going to start in the parking lot with candles and the Nunc Dimittis, and then process into the church. We are using smoke, chanting the Gloria (which we don't usually use at all), and using the sung responses to the Great Thanksgiving. Also, someone is singing Of the Father's Love Begotten as a solo, since the congregation and choir doesn't know it.

--------------------

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our RC parish is celebrating with many candles, apparently to be carried by the choir in procession (the director warned us not to wear anything flammable). Details on Monday.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Beamish
Apprentice
# 17991

- Posted      Profile for Mr Beamish   Email Mr Beamish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just moved here, and I think that our parish is having a Christingle supported by the girls' choir and juniors. I think the anthem is 'This Little Light of Mine' or similar. There may be a procession involved, I know not.

I'm going to the eight o'clock BCP service.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Presentation / Candlemas observed today.

1. All congregation got a candle which was lit after the Epistle.

2. New choristers were admitted after the sermon; new Head Chorister also given medal.

3. Altar candles for the coming year were blessed after communion.

For music we sang: Of the Father's love begotten; Hail to the Lord who comes to his temple gate; Faithful vigil ended; Forth in the peace of Christ (hymns). When to the temple Mary went Eccard; Nunc dimittis (Dyson in F); Played them out to the Choral Song and Fugue by Wesley.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Our music was quite similar: When to the temple Mary went - Eccard; Of the Father's love begotten; when candles are lighted on Candlemas day (with the Lourdes/Walsingham refrain to different words; some long-winded piece by Purcell and then Faithful vigil ended before the palaver at the font.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016