homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Readers' Robing for Funerals (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Readers' Robing for Funerals
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps then my query should be why hoods are officially part of Choir Dress? Just to keep the pot boiling, I could add that when assisting or preaching at the Eucharist, I wear a cassock-alb with Reader's scarf. I wait for the shocked intakes of breath.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tortured logic permits the alb & scarf approach, but I think it is problematic. My understanding about hoods is that they be vestigial remnants of the daily dress of clerics with degrees-- cassocks with a practical (remember mediaeval indoor heating, such as can still be found in the British Isles) hood to keep the bat droppings/rain off the cleric, and then a surplice over their indoor garb. The surplice is, of course, a fuller and ungathered version of the alb which can fit over a cassock and (also necessary in those uncentrally heated times) a coat or fur garment.

So the wearing of an alb at the offices has a logic; however, the reader's scarf over it is liable to misinterpretation as a stole. Far better that you wear a tunicle over the alb, as you are in essence filling the subdeacon's role at a Eucharist and in that way prevent any confusion. Should local practices (or the absence of the vestment) preclude a tunicle, then a simple alb while assisting.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Perhaps then my query should be why hoods are officially part of Choir Dress? Just to keep the pot boiling, I could add that when assisting or preaching at the Eucharist, I wear a cassock-alb with Reader's scarf. I wait for the shocked intakes of breath.

So do I. I move between 3 churches and a casssock alb is easier to keep decent whereas my 'full English' surplice creases easily and I am not good at ironing.

Plus a surplice looks odd in a sanctuary where everyone else is in albes.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just to keep the pot boiling, I could add that when assisting or preaching at the Eucharist, I wear a cassock-alb with Reader's scarf. I wait for the shocked intakes of breath.

Interesting: is it for the reasons leo gives? Because I can't see why you would come up with this otherwise: if you're in the sanctuary, are you being a straw-subdeacon? Then alb and tunicle (or just alb). If not, then you are in choir, and should wear choir dress. If not fulfilling the ministry of a reader at all (i.e. serving) then why an identifier at all? Is it local peculiarity, indifference to vesture, or something else entirely which leads to the mix-and-match?

Hypothetical: since Common Worship puts the Pax in the Ambrosian place, does that mean those who use it can follow the Ambrosian custom of vesting lectors in copes for Mass?

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before I sign off for Lent, just to point out that a cassock-alb was designed as a combination of cassock, alb and surplice. I know the very idea causes the vapours among many denizens of Ecclesiantics, but aesthetics apart, there is no reason to object to the cassock alb being used as a substitute for a surplice in any context. That's not to say that they wouldn't look odd worn with a hood.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cassock-alb and scarf for Eucharistic services; cassock, surplice and scarf for all other services.

Wearing cassock and surplice at the Eucharist, when everyone else is wearing a cassock-alb or an alb, really makes the Reader stand out - not at all desirable.

Left to my own devices I'd wear the cassock-alb at all services (it's practical and comfortable) - but rules is rules!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aesthetically, I like to see a long full English surplice with gathered pleats. It seems smarter than an alb, and most certainly a cassock alb. If made long enough, and with a smaller neck, it can be put on straight over street clothes like the clergy did in the 18thC.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

In answer to vade mecum: Our vicar at the time I was licensed liked all those robing for the Eucharist to match. I would not have thought a Reader's blue scarf could be mistaken for a stole. If in the sanctuary for the Eucharist, I would be preaching, reading one of the lessons (not, currently, the Gospel), preaching, or leading the intercessions,or some or all of these, but not deaconing, since I am not a deacon.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In answer to vade mecum: Our vicar at the time I was licensed liked all those robing for the Eucharist to match. I would not have thought a Reader's blue scarf could be mistaken for a stole. *snip*

Over the years, having heard the reader's blue scarf being mistaken for a stole by: a) the reader, b) the rector, c) a choirmaster, and d) servers, I think it safe to say that it will inevitably be mistaken as a stole by lots of people.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

But does God mind?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Aesthetically, I like to see a long full English surplice with gathered pleats. It seems smarter than an alb, and most certainly a cassock alb.

So do I and i wear one for evensongs (and rare mattins). But unless the mass is celebrated in surplice rather than proper vestments, a cassock alb is more appropriate.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But does God mind?

I am sure he doesn't. I don't think he is very interested. He looks on the heart rather than the appearance (1 Sam 17:7). I also don't think he minds if you read the gospel, as you are permitted to do in England but not Wales.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
In answer to vade mecum: Our vicar at the time I was licensed liked all those robing for the Eucharist to match. I would not have thought a Reader's blue scarf could be mistaken for a stole. *snip*

Over the years, having heard the reader's blue scarf being mistaken for a stole by: a) the reader, b) the rector, c) a choirmaster, and d) servers, I think it safe to say that it will inevitably be mistaken as a stole by lots of people.
A scarf gets mistaken for a stole whether it is worn over a surplice or an cassock-alb.

A sacristan once offered me a green stole because, he said, 'you always wear that blue one'.

This morning, at an anglo-catholic care-home chapel, a man asked me which diocese i was bishop of!!!

Those who know the difference between certain robes and vestments will know that I am lay.

Those who don't - probably the vast majority, wee, it would make no difference which robes we wear and one could make a case for Readers coming out from the congregation in ordinary clothes to preach.

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In answer to vade mecum: Our vicar at the time I was licensed liked all those robing for the Eucharist to match. I would not have thought a Reader's blue scarf could be mistaken for a stole. If in the sanctuary for the Eucharist, I would be preaching, reading one of the lessons (not, currently, the Gospel), preaching, or leading the intercessions,or some or all of these, but not deaconing, since I am not a deacon.

But if one were preaching, reading and intercessing, why would one be in the sanctuary? Surely one would be in choir, and thus in choir dress?

Wanting everyone to match is absurd.

And Angloid: do you have any proof that the cassock-alb is meant as a replacement for a surplice, beyond the fact that the alb and surplice are the same garment if one goes back far enough?

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Those who know the difference between certain robes and vestments will know that I am lay.

Those who don't - probably the vast majority, wee, it would make no difference which robes we wear and one could make a case for Readers coming out from the congregation in ordinary clothes to preach.

Quite. When I've been officiating at a funeral, people often shake my hand and say "thank you Father" as they leave.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
quote:

But if one were preaching, reading and intercessing, why would one be in the sanctuary? Surely one would be in choir, and thus in choir dress?

Wanting everyone to match is absurd.

And Angloid: do you have any proof that the cassock-alb is meant as a replacement for a surplice, beyond the fact that the alb and surplice are the same garment if one goes back far enough?

We ripped out our choir stalls decades ago.

Plus I act as deacon so am at the altar. In our other church I'd be in a tunicle or dalmatic but our main church doesn't have them.

[ 10. March 2014, 07:25: Message edited by: leo ]

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

In answer to Vade Mecum, it is true that at Parish Eucharist I would normally be in the Deacon's stall in the Choir, as we use the Nave Altar for that celebration, but for the Early Service, at which we have a sermon, we celebrate at the High Altar and sit in the hideously uncomfortable sedilia, which are in the sanctuary. All very irregular, I'm sure.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A scarf gets mistaken for a stole whether it is worn over a surplice or an cassock-alb.

In my parish of curacy there was an entire vestment set (maniple included) in blue. Made because a previous vicar supported a[n AFL] football team who sported that colour.

I wore it for Marian feasts.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Beamish
Apprentice
# 17991

- Posted      Profile for Mr Beamish   Email Mr Beamish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

In my parish of curacy there was an entire vestment set (maniple included) in blue. Made because a previous vicar supported a[n AFL] football team who sported that colour.

Shurely shome mishtake? Blue is a recommended option in Advent, after all.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The sort of blue worn for Advent (and the gesimas) in Percy Dearmer churches (I remember it well - silvery blue - my home churches used it back in my teens) is a very different shade from that of readers' scarves.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Navy? Or the blue-and-white of North?

I've seen clergy replace their stole with a team scarf for at least some of the service the day after the grand final.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I've seen clergy replace their stole with a team scarf for at least some of the service the day after the grand final. [/QB]

[Waterworks]

Because the Holy Sacrifice is definitely the place to show off your personal team-based sports affiliation...

[Mad]

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoods don't have to be 'of the degree', but do look aesthetically good as a part of choir dress.

I knew of one priest who wore a hood (both in the more usual shape and also the cowl Warham Guild shape) with choir dress. He wore his theological college hood as it was the only one that reminded him of his priestly training (he was also a PhD).

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
... I've seen clergy replace their stole with a team scarf for at least some of the service the day after the grand final.

Doesn't that unchurch those who support a different team? It's not that different from proclaiming from the pulpit that all true Christians must vote Labour, Conservative or whatever.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016