homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Genuflection in the ABSENCE of the Sacrament

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Genuflection in the ABSENCE of the Sacrament
Choirboi
Shipmate
# 9222

- Posted      Profile for Choirboi   Email Choirboi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up being told that one does not genuflect before an altar where the Sacrament is not reserved, which seemed quite logical and simple. In preparations for Maundy Thursday, this issue came up in context of whether the sanctuary party should genuflect or merely bow at the beginning of the liturgy, because the Sacrament has been removed. A colleague cited Fortescue, who instructs that when the Sacrament is present, all genuflect, but when the Sacrament is not present, the Celebrant bows, while all others genuflect. I have been researching diligently, and all other sources I've found concur.

The question is WHY? To me it makes no sense for ANYONE to genuflect when the Sacrament is not reserved (Good Friday veneration excepted, of course). Why would the Celebrant (and prelates according to some sources) perform a different action than the Deacon, Subdeacon, and servers?

--------------------
Like as the hart desireth the waterbrooks, so longeth my soul after Thee, O God.

Posts: 136 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboi:
The question is WHY? To me it makes no sense for ANYONE to genuflect when the Sacrament is not reserved (Good Friday veneration excepted, of course). Why would the Celebrant (and prelates according to some sources) perform a different action than the Deacon, Subdeacon, and servers?

We bow to the altar instead of genuflecting to the Blessed Sacrament when the Sacrament is not present (and the sanctuary light will not be burning during that time). This is a point well made in rehearsals for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday: once the Sacrament is reposed on the separate Altar of Repose, we stop genuflecting to the tabernacle on the high altar. We do genuflect when the Blessed Sacrament (in one kind only) is in the sanctuary for Communion during the Good Friday liturgy.

After the altar is stripped on Maundy Thursday, the sanctuary light is out and the tabernacle door left open, which helps remind us as we're on our way down in a genuflexion that we should really just be bowing. [Hot and Hormonal]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genuflection is a Fond Thing Vainly Invented, and should be replaced by a reverent bow - whether to cross, altar, or MBS.

Well, that's what my increasingly creaky knees tell me. If I genuflect these days, I have to have something to hold onto, or I am likely to topple over into an unseemly and unedifying humpled creep.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just looked at the 6th ed. of Fortescue. The preface (p. xxiii) explains that people genuflected to altars long before there was an reservation. I'd add that the altar is a symbol of Jesus and that one would also genuflect to the relics that are in the altar.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Genuflection is a Fond Thing Vainly Invented, and should be replaced by a reverent bow - whether to cross, altar, or MBS.

Well, that's what my increasingly creaky knees tell me. If I genuflect these days, I have to have something to hold onto, or I am likely to topple over into an unseemly and unedifying humpled creep.

Ian J.

Agreed I am not that old but the joints are sending me messages , reminding me that I am not 21 anymore.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience, at least when I was a youngster, genuflecting to an altar where the blessed sacrament was not reserved, was confined to pre-Vatican 2 anglo-papalists. It is many years since I last came across this practice.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is worth pointing out that most Roman Catholics genuflect right before sitting in their pew and right after getting up from the pew and leaving the Church, regardless of whether or not the Blessed Sacrament is in the Church or, if so, whether the Sacrament is reserved behind the altar or elsewhere in the Church. You're supposed to catechize them to profoundly bow rather than genuflect if there is no Blessed Sacrament to genuflect to and only an altar, but most RC's aren't in Church enough (or have been doing what they have been doing for too long) for any catechesis of this kind to stick.

Further adding to the confusion is that most RC's make a profound bow before receiving communion while standing - and this is indeed an acceptable option in the rubrics AFAIK (very few genuflect and imagine the chaos in crowded services with lines going in all directions to priests and Eucharistic ministers if everyone genuflected). A profound bow was also what the priest leading my RCIA suggested that I do.

Finally, on another tangent, was it ever required in the rubrics to genuflect to the Pope? To a bishop? Were there rules about doing this outside of Liturgy?

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is worth pointing out that most Roman Catholics genuflect right before sitting in their pew and right after getting up from the pew and leaving the Church, regardless of whether or not the Blessed Sacrament is in the Church or, if so, whether the Sacrament is reserved behind the altar or elsewhere in the Church. You're supposed to catechize them to profoundly bow rather than genuflect if there is no Blessed Sacrament to genuflect to and only an altar, but most RC's aren't in Church enough (or have been doing what they have been doing for too long) for any catechesis of this kind to stick.

Further adding to the confusion is that most RC's make a profound bow before receiving communion while standing - and this is indeed an acceptable option in the rubrics AFAIK (very few genuflect and imagine the chaos in crowded services with lines going in all directions to priests and Eucharistic ministers if everyone genuflected). A profound bow was also what the priest leading my RCIA suggested that I do.

Finally, on another tangent, was it ever required in the rubrics to genuflect to the Pope? To a bishop? Were there rules about doing this outside of Liturgy?

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I know, the custom is that when you encounter a bishop with jurisdiction over you (e.g. the Ordinary of your diocese, or a coadjutor) you genuflect on the left knee and kiss his episcopal ring. Presumably, in the RCC, the Pope would count as such a bishop.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that a profound bow and a genuflection denote the same amount of reverence; they just have different histories. Surely if distinctions between reverences are going to be made, the altar without the sacrament merits a simple bow not a profound one.

In regard to the poster's question, Ritual Notes seems to have it both ways. It does admit that, historically speaking, a genuflection to the altar whether the sacrament is present or not is "correct." Perhaps it is agreeing with Fortescue? It does, however, go on to say that genuflection to the sacrament only is nigh universal practice, especially in Anglicanism, and it's this practice that it ultimately recommends.

Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure many of us who grew up Roman Catholic have had the experience of genuflecting to the screen when entering a row of seats at the cinema. [Hot and Hormonal]

Now, how about when returning to one's pew after receiving Holy Communion? I don't genuflect, partly because I want to get out of the way of the people behind me, and mostly because I've got the Blessed Sacrament within me and feel like I should do something different.

BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that a profound bow and a genuflection denote the same amount of reverence; they just have different histories. Surely if distinctions between reverences are going to be made, the altar without the sacrament merits a simple bow not a profound one.

In regard to the poster's question, Ritual Notes seems to have it both ways. It does admit that, historically speaking, a genuflection to the altar whether the sacrament is present or not is "correct." Perhaps it is agreeing with Fortescue? It does, however, go on to say that genuflection to the sacrament only is nigh universal practice, especially in Anglicanism, and it's this practice that it ultimately recommends.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
I'm sure many of us who grew up Roman Catholic have had the experience of genuflecting to the screen when entering a row of seats at the cinema. [Hot and Hormonal]

Now, how about when returning to one's pew after receiving Holy Communion? I don't genuflect, partly because I want to get out of the way of the people behind me, and mostly because I've got the Blessed Sacrament within me and feel like I should do something different.

I genuflect after rising from the rail, in a kind of, "Sorry, but I'm about to turn my back on you," way. I return to the pew via the side aisle so don't cross the axis that would prompt me to.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Ian J.

On the handful of occasions I have celebrated with two other sacred ministers the Deacon was a lady in her sixties and the MC was a slip of a thing in her teens. The Deacon was newly ordained and, although she was very game, did not come from a tradition where one did that sort of thing, whereas the MC had been tatting round sanctuaries since primary school and intuitively 'got' liturgy so the two of us worked out the ceremonial and then told the Deacon what she was going to do!

Anyway, we knew that the Deacon could not genuflect without falling over so we agreed that the Deacon and MC should both give a profound bow whilst the Celebrant genuflected on the grounds that it made some sort of sense for the Celebrant to do one thing and the Deacon and MC another but less sense for the ministers at the altar to divide themselves on the grounds of youth and beauty, on the one hand, and age and decrepitude on the other. (I think we found tactful circumlocutions for this point.) My wife remarked, when I reported this exchange to her, that I should have grabbed the opportunity with both hands because my opportunities to identify with youth and beauty were fast running out which I thought was a) accurate and b) entirely uncalled for.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboi
Shipmate
# 9222

- Posted      Profile for Choirboi   Email Choirboi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:

Bulldog, can you provide page references?

--------------------
Like as the hart desireth the waterbrooks, so longeth my soul after Thee, O God.

Posts: 136 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

I certainly can! This is from the 11th Ed.

Chapter 4. Page 39.

"In service time, however, even when the Sacrament is not present, western rule prescribes that everyone (except the celebrant paratus and canons in their own cathedral, and bishops, who only bow) shall reverence the altar with a genuflexion, with the provision that in the absence of the reserved Sacrament this is done in actu functionis tantum, as mentioned above. On the other hand, when the sacrament is not present, the more general anglican custom is to bow only, and not genuflect."

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Chapter 4. Page 39.

"In service time, however, even when the Sacrament is not present, western rule prescribes that everyone (except the celebrant paratus and canons in their own cathedral, and bishops, who only bow) shall reverence the altar with a genuflexion, with the provision that in the absence of the reserved Sacrament this is done in actu functionis tantum, as mentioned above. On the other hand, when the sacrament is not present, the more general anglican custom is to bow only, and not genuflect."

Can you clarify what in actu functionis tantum means? My Latin isn't up to it...
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:

Chapter 4. Page 39.

Can you clarify what in actu functionis tantum means? My Latin isn't up to it...
It means that one genuflects during the liturgy, but not outside of it.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
... you genuflect on the left knee and kiss his episcopal ring. Presumably, in the RCC, the Pope would count as such a bishop.

I have heard this 'left knee' business before, and have searched diligently in Fortescue and all the other ritual guides I have. AFAI can tell, NONE of them mention the 'left knee' business. Genuflection is defined as touching the right knee to the floor (none of this Episcopal lady curtsy business is countenanced!)
The only explanation I've ever encountered for this varied genuflection is 'That's the way I've always done it.' (which covers LOTS of liturgical variety, to be sure.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only use my left knee when it's a double genuflection'. e.g. when the Sacrament is exposed such as at the Maundy Watch. (Though arthritis is going to stop that fairly soon.)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard about this 'left knee' business in various forms, but as far as I can tell it has only ever been a sort of pious custome.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably not on the same page, but I always genuflect during the Stations of the Cross towards the image being contemplated, whether the MBS is in the church or not.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:
... you genuflect on the left knee and kiss his episcopal ring. Presumably, in the RCC, the Pope would count as such a bishop.

I have heard this 'left knee' business before, and have searched diligently in Fortescue and all the other ritual guides I have. AFAI can tell, NONE of them mention the 'left knee' business. Genuflection is defined as touching the right knee to the floor (none of this Episcopal lady curtsy business is countenanced!)
The only explanation I've ever encountered for this varied genuflection is 'That's the way I've always done it.' (which covers LOTS of liturgical variety, to be sure.

Well, Fortescue is a liturgical guide; there isn't any kissing of the episcopal ring in the liturgy. But I suppose dj ordinaire is right that it's a pious custom.

[ 24. March 2014, 15:56: Message edited by: Fr Weber ]

--------------------

thwarted_thurifer
Apprentice
# 16177

- Posted      Profile for thwarted_thurifer   Email thwarted_thurifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
In my experience, at least when I was a youngster, genuflecting to an altar where the blessed sacrament was not reserved, was confined to pre-Vatican 2 anglo-papalists. It is many years since I last came across this practice.

I've followed that practice on the rare occasions i've served Low Mass at an altar without reservation, but would not do in the modern rite.
But then, the current roman regulations on when to bow and genuflect.. well! Open to interpretation...

Did Rome not abolish genuflecting to Bishops in the mid-80's? I remember doing it once or twice in my earlier days.

Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, Fortescue is a liturgical guide; there isn't any kissing of the episcopal ring in the liturgy. But I suppose dj ordinaire is right that it's a pious custom.
Surely there's lots of kissing the episcopal ring in the liturgy as Fortescue describes it? The crozier-bearer, every time he gives it to or receives it from the bishop, for example.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Probably not on the same page, but I always genuflect during the Stations of the Cross towards the image being contemplated, whether the MBS is in the church or not.

So do I if my arthritis hasn't got the better of me on a rainy day. I thought everyone did that except inform people.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by thwarted_thurifer:
Did Rome not abolish genuflecting to Bishops in the mid-80's? I remember doing it once or twice in my earlier days.

We still do it in anglo-catholic circles - even when we don't like the bishop concerned!

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by thwarted_thurifer:

We still do it in anglo-catholic circles - even when we don't like the bishop concerned!
*especially when we don't like the bishop concerned..

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Surely there's lots of kissing the episcopal ring in the liturgy as Fortescue describes it? The crozier-bearer, every time he gives it to or receives it from the bishop, for example.
No Fortescue handy at the moment, but would the crozier-bearer kiss the ring or the hand?

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016