homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Liturgy" Does April Fools

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: "Liturgy" Does April Fools
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a pretty good April Fools prank pulled over in "Purgatory," which reminded me of the one that "got" me late last night (when it was already April 1 in New Zealand):

The Reverend Bosco Peters, who blogs under the title, "Liturgy," posted this report on a "New Ecumenical English Missal Project" being launched by Pope Francis.

I should have known it was a joke just from the photographs of the project board members! [Big Grin] But, knowing this pope.... [Big Grin] [Biased]

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I can tell, only one of the commenters so far has realized it's an April Fool's joke.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no idea. I've seen several Very Serious™ people circulating the story!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the fun of Ecclesiantics: wit so dry that one cannot tell it is wit at all! Seems to be a common trait of those who are liturgically-minded, as we have seen today.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did confuse one of my colleagues woth the 'Ecumenical Liturgy' story, even when accompanied by a broad hint that it was an April Fool. Perhaps testament to this Pope's ability to surprise us?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
April Fool or not, sounds like a Good Scheme to me......!!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
I did confuse one of my colleagues woth the 'Ecumenical Liturgy' story, even when accompanied by a broad hint that it was an April Fool. Perhaps testament to this Pope's ability to surprise us?

Indeed

However, this Pope doesn't speak English very well. Why would he put himself on the committee to oversee the development of the liturgy? Why would he want only one Roman Catholic but two Anglicans on said committee? Why would he want representatives of only two English speaking nations on the committee? For the record, I'm Episcopalian and I want the current PB to have as little say about any future liturgy as possible. As a matter of fact, I'm an Anglo-Catholic who looks at the four suggested members of the committee and thinks, "Well, the Lutheran representative isn't so bad."

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't even get Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, etc., to agree on a liturgy for their own denominations - and there is so much bending of the rubrics that the official liturgies don't matter than much anyway. Every time you make a new liturgy, you just add one more option for people to use or not use, regardless of what they are required to do. It's kind of like Council of Pisa in the Great Western Schism. You have two claimants to the Papacy, so you have a council to decide who the real pope is. You name a new Pope to settle the schism, and all you wind up with is three claimants to the Papacy.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The initial letters in blue, spelling APRIL FOOL were a very strong giveaway.

However, having read the communion services at the front of Baptist and Methodist service books and also having gone to a RC Mass, as well as attending my own CofE church, there really isn't a lot of difference already. So it's a non-joke.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The initial letters in blue, spelling APRIL FOOL were a very strong giveaway.

However, having read the communion services at the front of Baptist and Methodist service books and also having gone to a RC Mass, as well as attending my own CofE church, there really isn't a lot of difference already. So it's a non-joke.

The differences in the English-speaking world were greatly reduced by the 20th-Century Liturgical Movement and the reforms that multiple denominations made around the time of Vatican II. But the RCC went in the opposite direction recently by switching to a new translation without trying to coordinate things with other denominations. I'm not wholly opposed to the new translation (although it has flaws galore), but after bashing the old translations out of my head I now have to reach for the service sheet or prayer book whenever I attend a non-Catholic service when I used to be able to just recite certain parts from memory.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not from the NZ liturgy site, but here is another April Fool's spoof. Skip over the two deadpan choristers and check out the eyes on the chorister to the far left after the application of the helium balloon.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Not from the NZ liturgy site, but here is another April Fool's spoof. Skip over the two deadpan choristers and check out the eyes on the chorister to the far left after the application of the helium balloon.

"... we learned that the surgical solution was surprisingly unpopular with the choral scholars...."
[Killing me]

[ 04. April 2014, 01:33: Message edited by: Dubious Thomas ]

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016