homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Staffing Levels...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Staffing Levels...
thwarted_thurifer
Apprentice
# 16177

- Posted      Profile for thwarted_thurifer   Email thwarted_thurifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi. Something came up in conversation after a "do" i was at last week, but the answer is lost in the mists of time relative to those of us who were there.

In the post-conciliar roman rite, priests always act as priests, and ditto for deacons, even though some aspects of what they do (by way of assisting the principle celebrant) is a little like the duties of a deacon. In the extraordinary form, they acted in those roles as deacon and subdeacon respectively, to the limit of those roles. So far, so good, personal feelings on the matter notwithstanding.

However, in the ordinary form, you often see two minsters- two priests concelebrating, or one priest and a deacon (permanent or transitional)whereas in the extraordinary form the number of minsters seems to be assumed as three (high mass) or one (low mass/missa cantata, although you could have three for that too?). But, since and deacons and subdeacons would, in the Good Old Days, have been transitional, and these roles were usually filled by priests, what did you do if you only had two? Could you use one as deacon and omit the subdeacon, or was it all-or-nothing?

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there are two, then the second cleric is generally in choir. This happens frequently at our FSSP shack. (And there are several hundred locations in North America that offer the EF Mass every Sunday, including several dozen parishes and communities run by the traditional orders FSSP and ICRSS, so this is fairly common.)

The Holy Week revisions of 1955 were followed by some tweaks in 1957, one of which allowed for a sort of semi-Solemn Mass, with a celebrant and deacon, but no subdeacon. That, however, was only for Holy Week. A similar form for general use appeared during the transitional years of the late sixties and early seventies, the last of the subdiaconate in most places. (It is still a part of the traditional orders.) [Smile]

[ 14. May 2014, 11:22: Message edited by: Ceremoniar ]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
thwarted_thurifer
Apprentice
# 16177

- Posted      Profile for thwarted_thurifer   Email thwarted_thurifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, thanks for that. I'd assumed it was in some way not allowed, but most texts tell you what you can do, not what you can't....
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other common role for a 'spare' priest would be as a server - in the vetus ordo when each priest had to say their own daily mass, it seems to have been not unusual to take turns serving and celebrating.
thwarted_thurifer
Apprentice
# 16177

A "spare" priest! Is there a part number to order those?

We used to have one go to the tabernacle for the ciborium at the sign of peace, help distribute and retire afterwards- they were known as the "cuckoo priest" but I can't remember why. They never sat in choir as they came from mass elsewhere, although the priest in charge when i started serving always came on and sat in choir at the principle mass if he wasn't celebrating it.

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe in the old Carthusian Rite it was possible (maybe even normal) to celebrate with a priest and deacon and no subdeacon. I believe the deacon also omitted the dalmatic.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this situation in which you might have a "sung mass"? It's not a high mass, but does have fuller ceremony, more servers, and maybe a spare priest in choir.
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomM:
it seems to have been not unusual to take turns serving and celebrating.

I've heard that St. Thomas Aquinas and his priest secretary would do that daily while he was writing the Summa. There's something terribly fitting and comforting about knowing that Aquinas both said Mass and served someone else's Mass before writing each day.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
Isn't this situation in which you might have a "sung mass"? It's not a high mass, but does have fuller ceremony, more servers, and maybe a spare priest in choir.

Yes, that is pretty much what happens on most Sundays.
Robertus Liverpolitanae
Shipmate
# 12011

- Posted      Profile for Robertus Liverpolitanae   Email Robertus Liverpolitanae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortescue et al suggest that a cleric in major orders (and some minor) might sing the epistle during a Missa Cantata , though without the ceremonial that would attend a subdeacon's performance of this action

I've never seen this done

--------------------
Once the Government approves something, it stops being immoral
Rev Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 558 | From: homeward bound | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by Robertus Liverpolitanae:
Fortescue et al suggest that a cleric in major orders (and some minor) might sing the epistle during a Missa Cantata , though without the ceremonial that would attend a subdeacon's performance of this action

We frequently do it at our FSSP parish, where we have a deacon. The MC (Yours Truly) does not attend the cleric, as at Solemn Mass, nor does the cleric obtain a blessing after the reading.
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
quote:
Originally posted by Robertus Liverpolitanae:

We frequently do it at our FSSP parish, where we have a deacon. The MC (Yours Truly) does not attend the cleric, as at Solemn Mass, nor does the cleric obtain a blessing after the reading.
I've seen it done in the old Dominican Rite.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016