homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » World War I Centenary Services

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: World War I Centenary Services
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It struck me today that the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War (1914-1918) seems to have gone almost unnoticed on this board......

...so what has your place done/planned to commemorate this occasion?

Our next-door parish extended their Saturday Celtic/Iona Evening Prayer yesterday, and another neighbouring church is having a Vigil Service tomorrow evening. We had a short late afternoon service today in our All Souls Chapel (whose reredos is, in fact, our WWI Memorial, with all the names inscribed), followed by Benediction. We used a suggested service from the C of E website, with an interpolated Litany of Remembrance and a couple of suitable hymns. At least 2 people in today's little congregation are in their 90s, and have lived in the parish all their lives - so they recognised at least some of the names, even if they were not old enough to know those who were killed.

My impression is that all these services/commemorations (being held on various dates and at different times) are quite low-key. It all happened a long time ago, and, even though many of the men listed on our Memorial lived in the little terraced houses around the Church, their families and descendants moved away many years back..

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Civic Service with Drum Tattoo last Sunday afternoon. The lights out is being done separately by the Royal British Legion. Big display near the WW1 memorial,

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had that at our church and people local who had been killed were again prayed for to get to heaven, and also their families who are sad for them. they were prayed for too.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our service today took this as its main theme - not as celebration, but as commemoration and in sorrow for continuing warfare in the world. So no parades or Last Post or anything like that, although we did light a candle for peace.

[ 03. August 2014, 22:53: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very little attention paid to it in Australia, which in one way is surprising as we have a very strong tradition of honouring sacrifice/loss in war.

The 100th anniversary of Gallipoli has been planned for a long time though and I think this will get enormous coverage etc and many Australians and New Zealanders have already booked their trip to be at Anzac Cove for the dawn service on April 25 2015.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A simple mid-day candle lighting service

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to wait a few years and mark the END of the war.

I will go into church tonight and light a candle in the window.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I'm going to wait a few years and mark the END of the war. ....

I rather agree. We mark remembrance on November 11th each year.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing the intercessions and while praying for the departed I said "for those whose names are on the war memorials in our church and all who have died in armed conflict in the past hundred years".

The curate told me afterwards that they are planning something on WW1 "when the children are back".

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall light a candle at 10.00 pm this evening . It was put out on the radio today that anyone who so wishes is invited to do so.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jel
Apprentice
# 9755

- Posted      Profile for Jel   Email Jel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder whether they'll have as bug a shenanigans over the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic?
I think the Belgians in Liege got it right, while the politicos are beating their patriotic breasts, the locals have staged a "bal populaire", which would translate as a street party in this country. Not out of disrespect for the dead, but out of disrespect for the political poseurs who clearly learned very little from the War and are still dancing to the strings of half a dozen extremely aged jingoists.

Posts: 40 | From: Brussels | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jel
Apprentice
# 9755

- Posted      Profile for Jel   Email Jel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, if the Boss still hasn't listened after a hundred years of ear-pulling, perhaps He's not going to...after all, we don't keep jammering on about the dead of the Napoleonic War, nor particularly of WWII, let alone those of our own generation, for all that some may claim that they are symbolised in the dead of WWI as some kind of strange precursor of what is still to come...
Surely the time has come to recognise that the only ones I remember survived the war, those who lived then and were old enough to actually remember anyone who died are now alongside them in the graveyard themselves. So how can I say in honesty "I will remember them" when in all probity I never knew them?

Posts: 40 | From: Brussels | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remembrance Sunday and Mothering Sunday are the two occasions in the year when I would like to just have the ordinary Sunday, even if, as on Lent 4 this year, it means going to Brompton Oratory.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church I serve didn't exist in 1914' and we have no war memorials.

I kept a poppy candle burning on the altar step all day yesterday and we remembered all those whose lives have been affected by war in our prayers.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our regular Sunday morning Choral Eucharist we observed the outbreak of the Great War with a Requiem performed by the local Orchestra. But in Australia I suspect the big services will be next April on the Centenary of Anzac.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jel:
I wonder whether they'll have as bug a shenanigans over the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic?
I think the Belgians in Liege got it right, while the politicos are beating their patriotic breasts, the locals have staged a "bal populaire", which would translate as a street party in this country. Not out of disrespect for the dead, but out of disrespect for the political poseurs who clearly learned very little from the War and are still dancing to the strings of half a dozen extremely aged jingoists.

I think there are several reasons why the First World War was signicant in the life of the nations who participated - not least of which was the element of normalizing civilian casualties in an excessive degree. Island Britain particularly had only experienced this horror mainly through civil conflict. And, of course, it was a pan-European/pan-global war unparalleled up to that point.

I'm not aware that the Spanish 'flu was mankind's deliberate act of terrorism or violence against itself - but, of course, I could be wrong. But that might explain why people tend to commemorate basically avoidable or at least partially man-made tragedies as opposed to (ahem) 'acts of God'. Eg, the Famine(s) are commemorated to a certain extent in Ireland, partly as object lesson in how not shit on a country that's already in the mud, but mostly to recall reflectively the useless loss of life of many, many precious individuals needlessly sacrificed.

Still, it's fair to say that many churches (and others in different ways) regularly commemorate en masse the lives of those who have died, say, by AIDS, or various cancers etc.

I'm guessing there's something of this behind some of the war commemorations, too. And of course there is still something of a tradition in some nations' psyche to commemorate the dead, anyway - not always from religious motivation, either.

I quite agree with you that the politicians don't learn the lesson. Foreign fisticuffs are essential to take the national focus off home cock-ups; so wars and such like are very handy in that respect. But unless one believes in the bullshit of 'New World Order' conspiracy theory crap, most politicians actually have very little say or control over global conflicts. Some few are momentarilly in a position to do something positive eg, Russia and Ukraine, Israel/Palestine, even Northern Ireland but the variables are - well, too variable usually for any tightly controlled outcome; except sadly the more predictable and destructive kinds.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've said already, WWI services in this area seem to have been really quite low-key.

I was, however, somewhat dismayed to hear our modest service of reflection described by my fellow-Reader (who should surely know better) as a 'Celebration' of the centenary of WWI..... [Eek!]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
As I've said already, WWI services in this area seem to have been really quite low-key.

I was, however, somewhat dismayed to hear our modest service of reflection described by my fellow-Reader (who should surely know better) as a 'Celebration' of the centenary of WWI..... [Eek!]

Ian J.

Well yes, it shouldn't be a celebration. But equally it's not quite right to see war as a situation where there is nothing to celebrate. War is often the setting for astonishing acts of compassion, courage, sacrifice, ingenuity and humanity. They are worth celebrating.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Anzac Day, it most certainly is not a celebration - an observation, a commemoration, but not a celebration.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Vicar seems to call every service a 'celebration'.

Looking 'to celebrate' up in the dictionary I find he is probably right (or not wrong):

to observe (a day) or commemorate (an event) with ceremonies or festivities:
to make known publicly; proclaim:
to praise widely or to present to widespread and favorable public notice,
to perform with appropriate rites and ceremonies; solemnize:

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We didn't have a special service in regards the outbreak of WW I > However for the summer we are using the chapel for services. In that space are the memorials of the men of the parish who went out and didn't come home also the colours of the 88th battalion CEF The Victoria Fusilers .Which went to the UK and became replacement troops for the Canadian Expeditionary Force. So I thought that being in the presence of the memorials & the colours we remembered the fallen.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016