homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I fled the peace today (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I fled the peace today
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

We're all made differently, and have different levels of tolerance for personal contact. I think that's okay.

Absolutely.

At our Church you see all sorts during the peace. Those who sit dowm, hands in prayer, eyes closed, clearly signalling 'no touch!'. The 'quick handshake' people. Those who rush round and try to greet everyone in the place. The 'find my mates and have a conversation about plans for tomorrow' people. The intense folk who like deep, meaningful eye contact. etc etc.

I shake the hands of those either side and anyone else who comes up to me, but I don't move from in front of my chair.

Then I sit down think of all the bugs we have just shared - hands being the best microbe carriers there are! [Two face]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crap spouted by Boogie:
* shake the hands of those either side and anyone else who comes up to me, but * don't move from in front of my chair.

Then * sit down think of all the bugs we have just shared - hands being the best microbe carriers there are! [Two face]

Yup, me too, and the next step is to take a piece of "bread" in those newly bugged with everyone else's bugs hands and put the now well bugged bread in your mouth. Sometimes * think * should carry hand sanitizer to church to use after the peace.

One church * visited the peace went on for so long (20 minutes or so, apparently every week the peace was a social occasion) * was quickly abandoned by pew mates running around the room to greet friends, * wandered off to the toilet room, then thought about joining others who were getting coffee. If * visit again * 'll bring my knitting or some letters to write. But my hands were clean after the peace with just a few brief neighbors and then the restroom break. [Smile]

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a bad thing for most of us to share a few bugs- good for the immune system.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
thwarted_thurifer
Apprentice
# 16177

- Posted      Profile for thwarted_thurifer   Email thwarted_thurifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just not Brit*** though, is it? We'll be expected to talk to people on Buses next!

It's optional! Let's have a set month to ditch that and the acclamation after the consecration, and then weigh up if we think it's better or worse?

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was really thinking about the Communion rather than the Peace- a courteous bow to those immediately around you would do very well for that.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hands should be shook before and after the service, not during. And it smacks of gestures. And how does the colour Black figure into this? No black, no future.

THREAD CLOSED

SPK, Eccles Ruling Elder (pro tem)

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
REOPENED

As counting clerk of this council, * do hereby proclaim and declare that this thread shall be open, provided that all advice is directed towards how to leave these dens of mid-service handshaking and seek refuge at one's nearest Calvinist shack.

No ballots were spoiled in the making of this post.

/s/ Autenrieth Road
Junior Breadcrumb Pro Tem

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016