homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Flags (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Flags
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

On Commonwealth Sunday we have a wonderful display down the two aisles of flags of all the Commonwealth countries.

Now I do like the sound of that

quote:
IMHO there is no place in church for an over-head projector. Ever.
Quite. As I've said before, in a proper church there's no place to put a screen, because the rood screen/ reredos/ Royal Arms/ English Altar/ Set Fawr/ huge central pulpit/ iconostasis/ mercy seat (delete according to tradition and churchmanship) would get in the way.

[Edit: UBB was getting to me]

[ 27. October 2014, 05:21: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a 'proper church'???

It would be more appropriate to say 'in a historical church building' or something of that sort.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll concede as far as 'in a proper church building', then- of any vintage.

[ 24. October 2014, 20:37: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is a 'proper church' simply a dedicated church building? If so, there are many of recent construction that could make space for a screen if they wanted one.

The architectural characteristics that you mentioned in your previous post won't all be present in many churches. Not even in a historical denomination.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble with large central screens is that they can become the focus of worship...

Or as a child who attends my local church ( [Ultra confused] ) commented : at our church we sing funny songs and pray to a big TV.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really can't comprehend how screens can become a focus of worship. They show a page, just like in a book.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Is a 'proper church' simply a dedicated church building? If so, there are many of recent construction that could make space for a screen if they wanted one.

The architectural characteristics that you mentioned in your previous post won't all be present in many churches. Not even in a historical denomination.

Well of course they won't all be present in what I quite unapologetically call a proper church building. In fact I would say very confidently that there is no church building in the world which contains all of the things that I have mentioned, unless someone somewhere knows of a Welsh Baptist sect within Orthodoxy which follows the Sarum Rite... And there might be proper church buildings which contain none of these things- one thinks, for example, of the kind of in-the-round church a la St Paul's Bow Common, which I rather like. There might be a great big East window or a space deliberately left blank. But otherwise I stand by my statement.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church building is a warehouse that we bought with our own money. I'm sure we'd all love to meet in a beautiful historic building but we only started to form a congregation here 20 years ago so have inherited no such building or ancient furnishings. Our congregation now numbers around 400 and I'm quite certain we would not be able to find or afford a fancy building, medieval or modern, in central Cambridge that is big enough to host our services and community outreach, provide an office for several staff and have meeting rooms for a Sunday school with 72 children. A warehouse really is the most practical and affordable option for us, ours even comes with an old foreman's house for an office. Even then we don't all fit in and the older children are in a portacabin.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
But otherwise I stand by my statement.

You're free to do so. But only you seem to understand what you mean!
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Possibly. But of course just because you don't seem to understand what I mean, it doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else does. [Biased]

[ 26. October 2014, 09:20: Message edited by: Albertus ]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I accept that others may be better mind-readers than I am.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
As for making notes (presumably during a sermon?) - surely while you are making your notes the preacher will have moved on to something else?

Only if you aren't a good note-taker!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed the 13-year-old boy sitting in front of me taking notes a few weeks ago. And yes, I could read what he was writing, and it was definitely notes on the sermon.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to report that when I write during the sermon it is usually not notes. Something about lectures or sermons is curiously conducive to fiction.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course the rood screen is where they project ... other things after hours. [Razz]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say I'd be delighted if someone took notes during my sermons. Maybe that's what the choir are doing on their phones. [Mad]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hosting lightly]

PS .. we may be diverting somewhat from the topic ... though personally I might start a separate thread for data projection.

[/Hosting]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the more interesting display of flags is in St John's Cathedral in Hong Kong. The old colonial regimental flags laid up there (the Queen's Colour, of course, is a Union Jack with appropriate symbol in the middle); this I can understand. But also hanging in full view is a full size Union Flag and the old colonial flag for Hong Kong - blue ensign, Union Jack, colonial coat of arms. It is a startling political symbol to have in Hong Kong outside of a museum.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
It is a startling political symbol to have in Hong Kong outside of a museum.

Indeed! [Ultra confused] is my reaction to that one, even if the attitude of the Communist authorities towards Christians hardly inspires confidence either...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'flags' in the side chapel of St John's Cathedral are: the laid-up colours of HK defence regiments/detachments, specifically those at the time of the Japanese invasion plus the Union flag and Hong Kong flag from the same period. The same chapel also has memorial books for those people - military and, I think, civilian - who died during the invasion and occupation, which was a pretty harrowing time.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016