homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crystal |-> Christ

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Crystal |-> Christ
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just seen the floorpan for the new Christ Cathedral, the Diocese of Orange's transformation of the Crystal Cathedral.

I'm very impressed, and I'd be excited to visit and pray there at some point if I'm able. I love the centrality given to the altar and the ambo: Christ will be made present in the midst of this worshiping assembly. The attention given to the entrances is impressive, both the doors and the font. The placement of the cathedra is another well thought through statement of our liturgical-sacramental theology.

It's only a floorplan, not a complete design, but I wonder where the confessionals and aumbry will be? Can the stuff of the healing sacraments be incorporated into the built environment as sensitively as other things have been?

What do you think of it?

[spelling corrected]

[ 29. September 2014, 16:43: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The floorplan looks great. I'm less excited about this:
quote:
Shade structures in the shape of quatrefoils (similar to four-petaled flowers) will line the interior glass and tall walls will surround much of the worship area, creating an environment that is more inward oriented than the current cathedral, which was designed so that the outdoors felt near and light could pour into the sanctuary. (From the LA Times article today.)
They bought the largest glass building in the world, and they're going to put up walls within it to cut off the outside. Click here to see the interior that Philip Johnson designed; one of the points of the whole thing is that it's so transparent from the inside. Now click here (and read more details in the Orange County Register) to see an artist's rendering of the planned remodeling of the interior. The symbolism of the floorplan looks great. The symbolism of shutting out the outside world ... not so much. That's something that bugs me about going to my own church on a glorious Sunday morning -- I don't want to be enclosed in a space that feels windowless because the windows are all stained glass you can't see through.

I do really like this (from the OC Register):
quote:
The petals also will have outside lights, creating an effect the design committee calls the Box of Stars.

“One of the problems with the cathedral is that at night it just disappears,” said Rob Neal, chairman of the Architecture and Renovation Committee for Christ Cathedral. “These lights will illuminate the cathedral. ... You’ll be able to see it from a long, long way.”

It might turn out okay. But I think they stand a chance of ruining the interior of a masterpiece of modern architecture.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is cool; I've been anxious to see what they would do with the space.

I generally don't much care for the whole central altar/altar in the round business, but based on the diagram and the renderings, this looks like one of the better examples of it I've seen. It reminds me of Our Lady of the Angels in LA, but will probably be nicer.

I would suppose the confessionals would be in the undercroft, adjacent to the chapel? That would seem the most logical place.

A little unsure about the placement of the tabernacle, though. Will it be visible from the sanctuary? If so, it would seem a bit strange to place it behind the cathedra. Also, there is no clear path for liturgical processions, at least as I see it.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
It might turn out okay. But I think they stand a chance of ruining the interior of a masterpiece of modern architecture.

I shuddered when I saw the "quatrefoils" plan. Seems to me the transparency is one of the essential aspects of the architecture. Buy the Crystal Cathedral and then have a problem with its being made of glass? Like buying a gothic cathedral and having a problem with how hard all the stone looks. (Let's soften that up with some plaster and wallpaper, shall we?)

[ 25. September 2014, 20:57: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the cathedra placing quite strange and it's something I've noticed in many Catholic Cathedrals. It's placed in such a way to re-enforce the sense of the authority of the Bishop and I'm not sure why exactly, but it makes me shift nervously; a little like seeing someone in a crowd try and assert their own self importance. I prefer the cathedra off to one side which to me gives a sense of what it is without it looking like a deliberate statement. in this scheme I'd be concerned that it will disrupt the flow of interaction from the ambo to the altar to the tabernacle; the emphasis being the whole presence of Christ right through the very centre of the building.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my opinion, the whole thing is ghastly. Top to bottom, inside and out. Maybe because I'm not RC, I'm not grasping the goodness of the plan and the details.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that painting the organ pipes white is silly. In their natural state, they will, at worst, detract from the altar far, far less than the seating arrangement wherein each half of the congregation will be in full view of the other half.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting that, to me, the comments reveal to poles that we should try to keep in tension:

quote:
The symbolism of the floorplan looks great. The symbolism of shutting out the outside world ... not so much.

quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
[the pipes] will, at worst, detract from the altar far, far less than the seating arrangement wherein each half of the congregation will be in full view of the other half.

The question is: what is the relationship of world and worship. Is it, as ldjjd seems to think, that the world distracts us from worship? Or is it, as RuthW seems to think, that the world invites us to worship?

When it comes to seeing the faces of fellow worshippers, I am definitely on the 'invite' side. As a pew dweller, I always liked arrangements that allowed me to see other worshippers' faces (and not just those of a few ministers). Being able to see the body at Christ at prayer is a definite aid to worship for me, another icon of Christ.

Being able to see the outside world is another matter. We definitely bring our outside concerns to prayer, where we are nourished that we might go back out into that world to shine forth with the brilliance we've been illumined with. During the Fall and Spring, we can keep our main doors open at church (they need to be closed for heating or air conditioning about half the year). I love, as presider, being able to occasionally look through at the world we're praying for. But, worship also needs to sometimes deliberately take our glances off this world, lest we become forgetful of the one to come. I think this is the motivation behind the quatrefoiles.

It's a difficult balancing act.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

I don't think that the tension has been resolved at all well. Part of the problem lies in the immense size of the congregation. This is not collegiate seating of a few worshippers. Nor is it a small church in the round.

It will be over a thousand people whose visual field will be full of the sight of another thousand directly opposite. The resultant movement, colors, and other visual stimuli cannot be anything but a very tempting distraction in my opinion.

In light of that, the bizarre attempt (whitewashing!!) to hide the organ (which arguably has symbolic value of its own) on the grounds of its distracting potential seems to me to be silly.

[ 26. September 2014, 20:54: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I find the cathedra placing quite strange and it's something I've noticed in many Catholic Cathedrals. It's placed in such a way to re-enforce the sense of the authority of the Bishop and I'm not sure why exactly, but it makes me shift nervously; a little like seeing someone in a crowd try and assert their own self importance. I prefer the cathedra off to one side which to me gives a sense of what it is without it looking like a deliberate statement. in this scheme I'd be concerned that it will disrupt the flow of interaction from the ambo to the altar to the tabernacle; the emphasis being the whole presence of Christ right through the very centre of the building.

Where will the celebrant stand? Will he face half the congregation and "turn his back" on the other half? If not, I suppose he will face the cathedra which could justify fletcher christian's above concern. Ironically, too, that would mean celebrating in the direction of the toned-down formerly attention-hogging organ.

While they're on a painting spree, they should attack that grand piano with its distracting ebony shine.

For that matter, what will be the piano's function? Is there any hope that an acoustic miracle will render it audible? If it will have to be amplified somehow, why not just invest in a much less expensive digital keyboard and paint that white?

I realize that the present plans are not final. I hope that more thought will be given to these and other issues. As a basic matter, I'm glad that the Crystal Cathedral is in the hands of its present owners.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
Where will the celebrant stand? Will he face half the congregation and "turn his back" on the other half? If not, I suppose he will face the cathedra which could justify fletcher christian's above concern.

During the Eucharistic Prayer? I would assume he'd face the ambo. The picture that comes up if you click on the ambo seems to confirm that. That's how I've always seen this style of antiphonal seating used before.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Thank you, Hart. I hadn't noticed the drawings.

If the celebrant will be facing the ambo, I would want the tabernacle and the choir to switch places. Not only would there be musical benefits, but it would no longer seem that the Mass is directed toward the choir.

Then, I'd wall out the former choir area and mount a huge crucifix on that wall, well above the ambo.

From the current drawings, it would appear that roughly half of the congregation would gaze upon what can be described as either an empty cross or the back of a crucifix, neither of which strikes me as ideal in a Catholic worship space. My suggestion eliminates that problem and directs the Mass toward our Lord's sacrifice.

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Thank you, Hart. I hadn't noticed the drawings.

If the celebrant will be facing the ambo, I would want the tabernacle and the choir to switch places. Not only would there be musical benefits, but it would no longer seem that the Mass is directed toward the choir.

Then, I'd wall out the former choir area and mount a huge crucifix on that wall, well above the ambo.

From the current drawings, it would appear that roughly half of the congregation would gaze upon what can be described as either an empty cross or the back of a crucifix, neither of which strikes me as ideal in a Catholic worship space. My suggestion eliminates that problem and directs the Mass toward our Lord's sacrifice.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
During the Eucharistic Prayer? I would assume he'd face the ambo.

So Cranmer's 12662 north side position isn't dead.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
In my opinion, the whole thing is ghastly. Top to bottom, inside and out. Maybe because I'm not RC, I'm not grasping the goodness of the plan and the details.

It has nothing to do with being Catholic. The entire building is a monstrous eye-sore utterly unsuited to Catholic worship. It's purchase by the diocese of Orange is still matter of great contention among Catholics. The current plans represent nothing more than trying to put lipstick on a pig.
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is "Crystal" here spelled with a "ch"? That's not the name of the building.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the Cathedral of Cordoba is a former mosque, and Strasbourg Cathedral is a repurposed Lutheran Church, I fail to see how any RC can object to repurposing the Crystal Cathedral.

It's Orange County, California. The real estate costs for vacant land would be enormous. This is the best value for money the Diocese could hope to get.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strasbourg Cathedral used to be a Roman catholic Cathedral,but became Lutheran in the 16th Century,when the City Council opted for the Reformation.
But in 1672,when King Louis XIV,conquerred Strasbourg, the Cathedral returned to the Roman-Catholic Church.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The building IS glass, and it would be good if they could keep as much of the transparency as they could. But I'm pretty sure there are environmental issues like heating and cooling to cope with too. Maybe that's driving some decisions?

As for the "in the round" stuff, I've been to service there under the old management, and it seems to me that once you get halfway to the back, you are basically out of range of the action up front, and might as well take a nap. It's just huge. I don't usually like worship in the round, but in this case it may be the best solution to what to do with this huge amount of space in this particular layout.

I'm just glad the thing is going to keep on being used for Christian worship. And hopefully with a bit more taste. When I visited, there was Astroturf, fountains, and bird cages in the aisles. [Eek!] Not to mention seats with "donated by Frank Sinatra" or similar inscribed on them.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm just glad the thing is going to keep on being used for Christian worship. And hopefully with a bit more taste.

<Hrrrrggggghhhh> That was the approximation of me biting my tongue extremely hard.

I mean, I love my Catholic brothers and sisters dearly. But, tastewise... I should probably confine my remarks to the taste of my tongue.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But surely they'd rip out the Astroturf! Please, please, please?

(clutches head)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

I dunno, Notre Dame just put it in their stadium this season, so I think all bets are off on that one.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone PLEASE fix the spelling in the thread title?!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

From the website linked in the OP:

quote:
Those who visited the former Crystal Cathedral will recall the amazing amount of light that streams into the building through each pane of glass. While beautiful, this glaring light has been the cause of much environmental damage to wood elements, the organ and piano. The harsh solar heat warms the room to an uncomfortable degree, and sound bounces off each hard pane of glass, which creates many acoustical issues. In order to create a more environmentally comfortable space, the interior of the cathedral will have an entirely new veil of perforated panels just inside the glass. Each quatrefoil panel is placed in the room according to specific algorithms that account for the path of the sun, and will diffuse the light while creating a beautiful overhead canopy of dappled sunshine.
It sounds as though they have taken into account the positive elements of the design and weighed them against the flaws with a view to finding the right balance.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

I'd assumed it was a deliberate pun on 'Christ'. I don't really want to go around correctly people's jokes even if (and I'm sure Hart won't mind me saying this...) it doesn't seem to be a particularly good one!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

I'd assumed it was a deliberate pun on 'Christ'. I don't really want to go around correctly people's jokes even if (and I'm sure Hart won't mind me saying this...) it doesn't seem to be a particularly good one!
Actually, it was just a spelling mistake.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now corrected.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cristal cathedral?

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Now corrected.

Thank you!!!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016