homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Liberal Catholic Church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Liberal Catholic Church
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

- Posted      Profile for croinua   Email croinua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently finished reading "Bishops at Large" by Peter F. Anson (ISBN 09771461-8-9) and was absolutely fascinated by Bishop Arnold Harris Mathew and the Liberal Catholic Church and how his linage has trickled through to a lot of the independent Churches that continue to exist with Episcopi Vagante bishops such as the Old Roman Catholic Church in Europe and the Liberal Catholic Church International.
I was wondering, has anybody ever seen a copy of the so-called "Mathew Liturgy" or would anybody know where I would be able to obtain a copy?
What are the distinctives? Is it influenced in any way by Theosophy?

Posts: 12 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it influenced in any way by Theosophy?
I don't know that the liturgy itself is influenced by Theosophy, but I'd assume it is since the various LCC splinter groups are all Theosophical in orientation, to one degree or another.

I'd be really interested to see it, though. There used to be a LCC parish (with an actual building!) near my home some years ago. I never got around to actually going, which I somewhat regret.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Matthew" is the more trad. of their two liturgies and is a mish mash of the old (Extraordinary) Roman Rite, the old C of E English Missal and favorite prayers from some of their adherents.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the Matthew.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an LCC parish in Berkeley called St Raphael's. They used to have a building on the shady/dingy border of Oakland and Berkeley, but they're no longer there--though apparently the parish still exists, according to their website. Probably meeting in someone's home these days.

I've never been, mostly by virtue of having other things to take care of on Sunday mornings.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There also used to be a parish in Putney. Don't know whether it's still there: and I think an LCC Bishop (without much of a flock) in Llandudno or Colwyn Bay.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church in Putney was still there when I last drove past about a year ago. I've often wondered what goes on in there.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I've just looked them up on Google and they're still there. I really must go along some time to see what it's like.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's one in Liverpool but I don't know if the congregation is much bigger than the priest and his wife.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are very few here. I only know of one in Sydney - perhaps in the State - and curiously that's 3 suburbs down the line from where we live, in what looks like an adapted house, and immediately behind what is a moderately A-C church. When last seen, it looked as if the Parish working bee was overdue.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
northender
Apprentice
# 9374

- Posted      Profile for northender   Email northender   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abp. Mathew's "Old Catholic Missal and Ritual", published in 1909 was the Roman missal and ritual of the day with a few changes, such as prayers for "N.. our Patriarch" rather than referring to him as "our Pope", and Festival of the Conception of Our Lady. It should be available in full on the internet.

On the establishment of the Liberal Catholic Church, a new Liturgy was provided, in 1916 as individual service books, then in two volumes, and from 1919 in one volume. Various groups have used or adapted this for their own purposes, and I cannot comment on the accuracy of any of their services found on the internet. As far as I know, the current 1983 Edition as authorised by the original LCC, is not on the web.

I am the humble author of An Annotated Liturgy, in three computer files, containing all the services of The Liturgy, as well as a Devotional Commentary on The Eucharist. As the LCC leaves its members freedom of interpretation of the Scriptures, Creeds and Liturgy, these works are in no way official, but are recommended as study guides to the Liturgy for those doing the Liberal Catholic Institute of Studies course. Not all Liberal Catholics are Theosophists, I am not.

Any serious students of Liturgy are welcome to contact me for any of the above files, on The Sacraments, The Collects, and Other Services.
northend1552@bigpond.com

The Devotional Commentary is a personal rather than academic paper.

As one of the two active priests at St Francis Church, Gordon, on Sydney's north side, I apologise if the grounds did not come up to standard. Perhaps if the shopkeepers on Pacific Highway did not use us as a dumping ground, things would look better. The building was originally a Brethren Hall which we bought in the mid Seventies and we moved there from the small Chatswood church.

Pictures can be seen on the Australian Province website:
www.liberalcatholicchurch.org.au
as well as links to our magazine.

Fr. Laurence

Posts: 26 | From: Central Coast, NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, this is its own denomination? (I thought this thread was about the more liberal/progressive wing of the RCC...)

[ 22. October 2014, 04:05: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Looks it up, and now understands more.)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the RCC actually have a liberal/progressive wing....??

OK......I'll get me coat.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a branch of the Liberal Catholic Church not far from where I live. It's not a part of the RCC.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Liberal Catholic Church International has a diocese in Arizona, with a parish in Casa Grande (southeast of Phoenix) and a mission in Tuscon.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the early 1970s I was briefly acquainted with the Old Catholic Church in England (not in communion with the See of Utrecht). At that time, they had churches in Battersea and Sutton in Greater London and the Bishops were +Francis Everard Glenn and +R. John Luker. Yes, they were episcopi vagantes.

I doubt if either of these said bishops is still around and may no longer be alive and I presume that their churches have long since closed down. If rumour is to be believed, these two bishops eventually mutually excommunicated each other.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Actually, yes! Not so much an organized wing but definitely there are many RCs who believe in and hope for various kinds of changes within, or approaches to things within, the RCC.

--------------------

Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

OK......I'll get me coat.......

Ian J.

Have you ever heard of Liberation Theology?

That makes most liberals look like New Labour or the Democratic Party of today!

The RCC includes everything from hardcore Traditionalists to "Cafeteria Catholics" (don't like the term but there you go.

Just to reiterate: the LCC is not part of the RCC.

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I studied Theology for a diploma twenty years ago, nearly all the feminist theologians were RCs, not that the then pope would have cared for them.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016