homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Microphones and presidential style

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Microphones and presidential style
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just got a new sound system at one of my churches. The old one was very old and forced you to really project to about half the space before helping you get the further half. The new one is very sensitive, and very crisp, but the space is pretty echo-ey. I find that now, I have to concentrate on speaking in about the volume I use in ordinary conversation (or even a touch softer), rather than my 'teaching voice.'

I've been surprised at how it's changing my presiding style. Somehow, I feel gentler, and more intimate at the altar. (The ambo mic is less sensitive, and admits of a slightly bolder tone).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It's an interesting example to me of how embodied worship, including leading it, is. Something as 'banal' as how loud I speak makes I huge difference to how I 'feel.' I'd be interested to notice if anyone in the congregation picks up on anything.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
DeKoven
Apprentice
# 13558

- Posted      Profile for DeKoven         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam, I was recently introduced to the use of a microphone in front of a small group in a dining hall. Even though I was pretty close to the crowd, I soon realized that I didn't have to project my voice at all. Other people used it for their poetry reading; it seemed comfortable for them. The primary reason that I planned for a microphone at the event was to ensure everyone to be heard, whether they were used to reading in front of people or not. I have found that as I get older, I feel sympathy for people who are hard-of-hearing.

If I were in worship, it would take me some time to get used to the microphone. And besides, I am so short that no one would be able to see me!

Posts: 5 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting- I am more accustomed to hearing your conversational speaking voice, and when I read your blog posts/ Ship posts, that's what I " hear". The first time I heard you preach I confess it was startling-- well done, of course, and effective, but a little less "Adam"- y, more preacher-y. The way you describe how you sound to yourself with the new mic sounds closer to what I am accustomed to hearing,

Don't know what is apropriate in terms of church decorum, but I personally am going to prefer something that allows you to sound more like you.

[ 20. October 2014, 00:19: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With my background in broadcasting I'm reasonably sensitive to microphones, and our place sounds much like yours. I try, despite the dreadful acoustic, to aim for a very intimate voice, so I am not projecting far beyond my head mike or whatever else I may be using. In theory that creates as psychology of intimacy. But the voice reverbs horrendously in my big rectangular cement space, so slow, slow, slow is critical. That counteracts intimacy.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
womanspeak
Shipmate
# 15394

- Posted      Profile for womanspeak   Email womanspeak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former opera singer and then school principal (who could easily gain the attention of large groups of students outdoors) I have a huge voice if I project at all. Old style pedestal mikes can be effectively used by a combination of distance, the volume button and projection. But using a body mike singing at a conference in a hastily gathered worship band recently was difficult as I can't sing quietly.

My preference when preaching monthly at a small country church is to go mikeless and au natural.

--------------------
from the bush

Posts: 62 | From: rural australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Microphones, speakers etc in churches, of the devil I tells yer. Of the devil!
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something that bugs me a bit is how many relatively traditional churches that use some modern technology (e.g. microphones and electric lights) don't lavish anywhere near the same care on their use of tech as they do on their use of things invented over 200 years ago. If you want project your voice by candle-light that's fine or if you're a poor church where everything is a muddle that's fine, but it's really common to find churches with beautiful and well-maintained buildings, beautiful singing, well-restored organs, poorly operated cheap PAs and badly chosen spotlights with bulbs blown. If something affects the beauty of your service, it needs to be considered to the standard you want for things that affect the beauty of your service.

The first issue is that you need to have someone competent adjusting the volume. This job is as important as being a member of the choir. I'm not quite convinced Adam's church has the speakers in the right place, although in many churches there are inevitable problems.

It's interesting that Adam uses a different microphone when presiding and at the ambo. In my view the president should have a wearable mic (preferably ear-clip; tie clip mics just about work OK if you're wearing a suit and tie), and so the ambo mic should be muted whenever the president walks near it. That way, the president isn't rooted to one spot when presiding (or, if the president is rooted to one spot, it's a spot chosen by the president, not by the sound engineer) and the president can get used to their microphone and keep talking the same way throughout the service.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former school teacher, I can project my voice without thinking -I sort of sense that I can be heard.

But I use a microphone for the sake of those with hearing aids.

My voice has a more intimate feel when preaching - so less dogmatic when not in proclamation mode.

I have to remember to turn it off before intoning responses, collects etc.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

And on returning to the vestry at the end of the service [Snigger]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And making sure it's not yet switched on (a) for going to the bathroom [or joking with the choir] before the service; and (b) to hear Confession - not that the last is so much of a problem for Baptists!

At least with radio microphones we no longer hear the Liturgical Click as the (single) unit is plugged in and unplugged at lectern or pulpit. Having said that: DO NOT (scratch) POSITION A TIE-CLIP MICROPHONE (scratch) UNDER YOUR (crinkle) SURPLICE.

[ 20. October 2014, 15:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Microphones, speakers etc in churches, of the devil I tells yer. Of the devil!

Well, you lot all know it all by heart anyway, don't you? [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As a former school teacher, I can project my voice without thinking -I sort of sense that I can be heard.

But I use a microphone for the sake of those with hearing aids.

My voice has a more intimate feel when preaching - so less dogmatic when not in proclamation mode.

We with the machinery are most grateful. Those who insist "but I am completely audible" are a menace; I console myself with "probably not worth hearing anyway".

But why don't we get to hear the collect?

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I stand with Ad Orientem on this. Of course, I have the advantage of an extremely live building in which to celebrate and preach, and a voice which was trained for the stage; I do understand that spaces which were (unaccountably) designed to swallow rather than conduct sound do exist, and that some people find it difficult to project, and that in these cases microphones are a sad necessity.

In which cases, they should be used as unobtrusively as possible, and someone should certainly be on hand to adjust volume and other settings as needed throughout the service.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
I stand with Ad Orientem on this. Of course, I have the advantage of an extremely live building in which to celebrate and preach, and a voice which was trained for the stage; I do understand that spaces which were (unaccountably) designed to swallow rather than conduct sound do exist, and that some people find it difficult to project, and that in these cases microphones are a sad necessity.

We have the use of a building with good acoustics and both the minister and I (I lead worship occasionally) can project our voices well. We also have a number of people who are hard of hearing, only some of whom have hearing aids. A little amplification and a hearing loop help them a great deal. It is also planned (relatively new system) that we will be able to record the service for those who are unable to leave their homes.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr Weber

Imagine in your congregation you have someone with the form of tinnitus which means that what they hear keeps reverberating in their mind, as if someone had removed the dampener from a piano.

Such a person is not helped by amplification per se but is helped by the removal of extraneous noise by listening in on the Loop system.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by womanspeak:
My preference when preaching monthly at a small country church is to go mikeless and au natural.

Well, that at least solves the problem of what vestments to wear.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly time for a Mystery Worshipper visit.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
In theory that creates as psychology of intimacy. But the voice reverbs horrendously in my big rectangular cement space, so slow, slow, slow is critical. That counteracts intimacy.

"Psychology of intimacy" sounds about right. I'm not sure that slowing down necessarily counteracts that, though. At the very least, it forces me to think about what I'm saying more, but I think it also adds a certain 'delicacy.' I start handling the words the way you would something fragile. Which, I'm sure, has it's limitations, (the words are also strong and dynamic) but has a certain fittingness for reverence for word.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by womanspeak:

Well, that at least solves the problem of what vestments to wear.

John

Besides, that means there is nothing to attach a mike to, or at least nothing that's all that close to the mike. [Devil]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

And on returning to the vestry at the end of the service [Snigger]
I didn't witness, but heard about, this gem uttered by a miked male priest to the crew of male servers in the sacristy just before a funeral began:

"Let's go, ladies! It's showtime!"

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loathe microphones for sound amplification. What a lot of people seem not to realise is that with most sound systems you can power the induction loop system without much amplification, provided people with hearing aids switch to the "T" setting - and yet custodians of the sounds system insist on turning the dam' volume up till you sound like an announcer at Paddington Station in the Days of Steam.

The trouble with most amplification systems - and the cheaper they are, the truer this is - is that they reduce the vocal dynamic range you can use. It's like being an opera singer and being told, "Sorry, love, tonight you can only sing between mezzopiano and mezzoforte."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Custodians of the sounds system insist on turning the dam' volume up till you sound like an announcer at Paddington Station in the Days of Steam.

"Our next hymn is no.215, "All glory, laud and honour". This will depart from the choir stalls and call at Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads. First class accommodation will be found to the rear of the church".

[ 22. October 2014, 12:32: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Custodians of the sounds system insist on turning the dam' volume up till you sound like an announcer at Paddington Station in the Days of Steam.

"Our next hymn is no.215, "All glory, laud and honour". This will depart from the choir stalls and call at Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads. First class accommodation will be found to the rear of the church".
So that's why they all sit at the back...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Of course - didn't you know?
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The old Great Western Railway shakes...
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Now that's a Betjeman poem I didn't know ... although I do know a prose article on Swindon's churches (in "First & Last Loves", I think).

I have no idea who the unfrocked Rev. Grogley was! Perhaps his sin was that he mumbled at the altar (no radio microphones in those days!)

(Did you see how cleverly I've brought you all back onto the topic?)

[ 22. October 2014, 14:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a traditional pulpit with sounding board above.

If people speak clearly, don't gabble and pitch their voice somewhere in the middle of their speaking range then we find they can be heard throughout the church.

There is a sound system and a microphone in the pulpit: the mic is very sensitive and we have a setting on the system that means the sound goes through the induction loop without being over-loud through the discrete speakers in the body of the church: this means people with hearing aids hear but without obvious amplification in the body of the church.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

'All Glory laud, etc' reminds me of the gadget-happy old curmudgeon/f*rt RC priest in my former city:
Palm Sunday. His first opportunity to use his new radio mike. Blessing of Palms was in school hall, procession across parking lot to church. My friend the organist waiting to start the hymn when the procession entered the church (IIRC). Fr. was 'having a wonderful day,' chatting to his deacon as the trotted along, to wit:

'My God, these new red vestments are gorgeous! Wonder what those Baptists across the street think of all this, bet they'll just sh*t!'

All of this booming into the ears of the faithful waiting in the nave. My friend said that he never kicked on full organ so fast in his life. [Yipee]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
'My God, these new red vestments are gorgeous! Wonder what those Baptists across the street think of all this, bet they'll just sh*t!'

** Ahem! ** I am a Baptist and I wear a red preaching gown to conduct worship on Sunday mornings!

The point upthread about voice projection and a sounding-board is absolutely right. After all, Spurgeon preached at the Crystal Palace without a microphone. (One wonders if he was audible at the back, though!)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am capable of having one of the loudest voices I know. I would never in my pad attempt to operate (in the full nave context) without a microphone (except in extremis when there is power cut). I get sick of the pissing contexts of "I have a loud voice and don't need it" type. It causes patchy sound quality when some use it and some don't. If there is one, use the bloody thing - and get lessons on its operation first.

PS do not EVER blow on or tap a mike.

[ 22. October 2014, 18:48: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

PS do not EVER blow on or tap a mike.

Unless you are aiming at Flying Scotsman sound effects. Can work a treat.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to pick up the conversations of passing truckers on our church mike system.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Psychology of intimacy"
I'm having trouble understanding why this is desirable in a building for which some feel the need to provide for artificial amplification.

Surely such a building is demonstrably not intimate, by the very volume which seems to call for amplification.

Prescinding from the question of whether amplification is desirable or not, it seems to me that attempting to create a psychology of intimacy in a building, which is patently not intimate, is doomed to failure.

Who was it said, "Don't argue with the building; the building always wins"?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The acoustics of our building were tormented by additions and renovations, needed to add more seats. And there is something to be said for systems that allow the hearing-impaired to participate.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
We used to pick up the conversations of passing truckers on our church mike system.

And we sometimes get taxi companies - useful for burglars in the congregation to know that someone at number 8 is going to the airport.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I remember sitting through Compline at CR Mirfield (in the unrestored church) to the backing of Radio 2 on the sound system.
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What a lot of people seem not to realise is that with most sound systems you can power the induction loop system without much amplification, provided people with hearing aids switch to the "T" setting -

I know of at least one of our congregation who has a hearing aid but wasn't even aware it had a "T" setting when I mentioned it the other day. Between forgetting hearing aids, not knowing how to use them etc. the loop is not really a solution on its own.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I had a lady in my church who had to be reminded EVERY TIME to set her hearing aid to "T".

And my mother's hearing aid didn't have a "T" switch. So a loop isn't the answer to everything.

We have also had interference in the loop transmission from low-wattage light bulbs - has anyone else had that?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

** Ahem! ** I am a Baptist and I wear a red preaching gown to conduct worship on Sunday mornings!

The point upthread about voice projection and a sounding-board is absolutely right. After all, Spurgeon preached at the Crystal Palace without a microphone. (One wonders if he was audible at the back, though!)

Well with Wesley's preaching in the open air and Jesus to the 5000, you rather suspect that projection was possible. It is indeed possible for the human voice to project over long distances. Before amplification systems were in most church building ministers were trained in the art. They had to be, shouting that loudly for week after week would have done havoc to their vocal chords. However, the style of expression of the preacher is restrained by the need to project their voice; you must maintain a certain volume, speak slowly and over pronounce words. Expression is restricted by the need to be heard. If you want to look at a similar aspect consider how much modern actors compare with the performances of Laurence Olivier in Shakespeare. The declamatory style is a product of the need to project your voice in an unamplified hall.

That said though removing some of the constraints on how you can use your voice in leading worship modern amplification is not a cure all. All it does is amplify. So a quiet mumble is turned into a loud mumble.

Jengie

[ 24. October 2014, 08:30: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I get sick of the pissing contexts of "I have a loud voice and don't need it" type ...

There's a retired canon at the Cathedral here who can be heard, completely unamplified, and without even raising his voice, from the other end of the building. He doesn't have a particularly loud voice (rather the reverse): it just carries well.

Georgiaboy's tale reminds me of an incident that happened in a parish church in Ireland, where they had just acquired radio-mikes. The curate, Fr. Barratt, had accidentally left a box or a kneeler or something behind the altar (I think he'd been standing on it to reach something high up). During the service the vicar tripped over it and, fully miked-up, went his length, yelling "Barratt you b*****d!"

I suppose the moral of the story is that you should treat a microphone as you would a gun - always assume that it's loaded ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 1969, just after the previous dean of CHrist Church, Oxford, died, I was told that mikes first appeared some years before in that Cathedral. That dean was a Canadian who had evidently retained his Canadian accent. The story went that one Sunday at the 11:00 sung eucharist, the organist gave him a higher note than usual to start the Sursum. To everyone's ears came, loud and clear, a very growly "What the .... does he think I am, a bloody canary?"

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
womanspeak
Shipmate
# 15394

- Posted      Profile for womanspeak   Email womanspeak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago Mr Womanspeak, a ham radio operator, was in the habit of going on air after attending the 8.00 am service at our little Anglican Church.

The Uniting ( Methodist ) Church next door to our house, which held its service at 9.00am had just put in a new sound system and electronic organ and were stunned when halfway through the sermon
"CQ CQ etc......" was received loud and clear by their new receiver and amplified through the organ and sound system.

The Elders of the church came to an agreement with my husband to start at precisely 10.00 am and thus cut off their verbose clergyman.

The joys of Christian cooperation.

--------------------
from the bush

Posts: 62 | From: rural australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016