homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book-keeping: the book group thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book-keeping: the book group thread
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can order A Vicar, Crucified for Kindle, but I won't get it until the end of July as it is not cheap! ( It's approximately £7 and I'm not working much this summer.)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gussie: Let's go with Restoration , but maybe refer to Merivel as well, if you've read it. Or is that too confusing?
I'm trying to get Restoration now. If some of you want to throw some Merivel into the discussion, then that's no problem for me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got Restoration!

I can relate a lot to the first sentence already [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just one book remaining in our programme, A Vicar, Crucified by Simon Parke for August.
Any more suggestions please?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a Sherlock Holmes mystery? We've got a Nook library full of them!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
How about a Sherlock Holmes mystery? We've got a Nook library full of them!

Great suggestion!
How about the first one, A Study in Scarlet?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to do a Sherlock Holmes - one of my favourites.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holmes would be great!!!

I'd like to do "The Practice of the Presence of God", by Br. Lawrence of the Resurrection. He was a French soldier who became a Christian. He expected that would mean a hard and joyless life--but found it to be just the opposite. He was a much sought after spiritual director, because of his gentle approach.

Leading it in the fall would work for me. Any slots available?

BTW, various sites have the text online and in assorted e-book forms. Here's the one at the Gutenberg site.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and "Practice" is a short book.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Z thinks Scarlet is a novella. I could probably lead the discussion in September. The book for next month is on its way to our house: she got it for free with points!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Practice of the presence of God, sounds good to me.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks folks. So,

August A Vicar Crucified by Simon Parke led by me.

September A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle led by Sir Kevin.

October The Practice of the Presence of God by Br Lawrence of the Resurrection led by Golden Key.

Let me know if the timing doesn't suit you.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Thanks folks. So,

August A Vicar Crucified by Simon Parke led by me.

September A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle led by Sir Kevin....

August book received yesterday, a brand new paperback at the astronomical price including shipping of £7.50! I am already at least a quarter of the way through it thanks to 75 minutes worth of breaks at work, including lunch!

The other book is parked on Z's Kindle.

Yay!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I said earlier on that I wouldn't mind leading the questions about a Brazilian book; it depends a bit of what you can get your hands on in English. My only condition is: no Paulo Coelho (I don't like him). I'd like to try something by Jorge Amado, I guess a couple of his books have been translated. Do you think this would be possible?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well there seems to be quite a few available according to the Amazon UK page.

Now this is looking tempting.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Do you mind if I try to choose one from this list? We can always change it if I chose a book that's too difficult for a lot of people to get their hands on. Just give me a couple of days. Maybe we could try it for November?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Go for it LeRoc.
My library service stocks only The War of the Saints by Amado and there are second hand copies on Amazon.
Don't let that sway you though!
November would be perfect.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Tree Bee: My library service stocks only The War of the Saints by Amado and there are second hand copies on Amazon.
I've read about a dozen of books by Amado, you could say I'm a fan. However, I haven't read "The War of the Saints" yet (O Sumiço da Santa). A friend of mine has read it, and was very enthousiastic about it. In fact, she was reading it at my side, and I was almost unable to read my book because she was laughing so much [Biased]

The way I understand it, the book is about a small village in Brazil where suddenly the image of the Saint has disappeared from the local church. Was she stolen? Or has a miracle happened? How do people from different religious backgrounds react to this? I can imagine that this can be a great way to explore a little bit about Brazilian society and religiosity. Jorge Amado surely has a great way of telling stories like this.

So, for me this would be an excellent opportunity to finally pick up this book, and I'd like to suggest it for November. I'll try to read the book a little before that, to be well prepared.

Are people ok with this? Did I manage to stir your enthousiasm? [Smile]

(And would I have to read the book in English, or can I read it in Portuguese?)

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Tree Bee--

October for my book is fine.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Thought I had.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

'The War of the Saints' sounds good - I think I'll enjoy reading it, as long as I don't have to do it in Portuguese!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Updated programme:

August A Vicar Crucified by Simon Parke led by me. (I hope my library copy arrives in time!)

September A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle led by Sir Kevin.

October The Practice of the Presence of God by Br Lawrence of the Resurrection led by Golden Key.

November The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado led by LeRoc.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Tree Bee: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle led by Sir Kevin.
One Sir leading another, isn't there a verse in the Bible about that somewhere? [Biased]

Looking forward to reading those books.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Finished the Simon Parke book yesterday - very complex ending!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Really? Oh good!
Off to start a new thread toot sweet.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Could anyone face readng Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm reading it at the moment, and I must say I can't think of many authors with a worse style, but it is a page turner.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Dan Brown is an horrible writer and an horrible person. I shall never read his books. How about something light and airy, maybe even funny, for October?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sir Kevin said:
quote:
Dan Brown is an horrible writer and an horrible person.
That's an interesting question, and probably not one for discussion on this thread. How important is it that you respect or think you would like the person writing a fiction book? I love both Evelyn Waugh and Elizabeth Gaskell as authors, and always thought I'd really get on with the latter if I met her, whereas Waugh sounds a pretty difficult character by most accounts. Then there are people such as William Mayne. I never particularly liked his books, but I disagreed with my boss who wanted to take them off the shelves after the court case.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Could anyone face readng Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm reading it at the moment, and I must say I can't think of many authors with a worse style, but it is a page turner.

Can't do it. Got through The DaVinci Code, and as you say it is a page turner, but I don't think I could make it through another DB book.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Relieved to see these comments as I don't want to read a Dan Brown book either.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

If you'd like to join in next month, the book to get hold of is A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
The thread will be led by Sir Kevin.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Tree Bee: If you'd like to join in next month, the book to get hold of is A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I have started looking for clues already. Just a question: do you have to smoke a pipe, or is that optional?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Tree Bee: If you'd like to join in next month, the book to get hold of is A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I have started looking for clues already. Just a question: do you have to smoke a pipe, or is that optional?
Smoking a pipe frowned upon in these enlightened times.
Deerstalker and cape essential however.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Surely, we could make do with a bubble-blowing meerschaum pipe? They exist! [Cool]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bumping up before we sinketh. [Eek!]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Smoking a pipe frowned upon in these enlightened times ...

[tangent]
I think that's rather sad - I've always loved the smell of pipe-smoke. When I was a smoker, I always thought it was a shame that they didn't put pipe-tobacco into cigarettes - as a woman I'd have looked a bit daft smoking a pipe ... [Big Grin]
[/tangent OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I haven't posted the programme for a month or so, so here's an update:

October - The Practice of the Presence of God by Br Lawrence of the Resurrection led by Golden Key.

November - The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado led by LeRoc.

Suggestions for a light, possibly festive December read gratefully accepted.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... Smoking a pipe frowned upon in these enlightened times ...

[tangent]
I think that's rather sad - I've always loved the smell of pipe-smoke. When I was a smoker, I always thought it was a shame that they didn't put pipe-tobacco into cigarettes - as a woman I'd have looked a bit daft smoking a pipe ... [Big Grin]
[/tangent OFF]

Yes, I love pipe smoke, too. If I were to smoke, it would be a pipe.

Hmmm...I wonder if pipe tobacco could be used as a sort of potpourri?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I've just finished reading The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin .
I have quite a prickly reaction to it and would love to know what other shippies think.
Shall we read it in December? It is very short but not at all festive !

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think positive, festive books are overrated anyway [Smile]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I smoked a pipe until a few years ago, sporadically but when I bit through it, it was time to give it up and i pretty much gave up cigars after my father passed. I may pick it up again in old age...

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bump.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm all set for november. The idea is that I open a thread at the beginning of the month, and pose questions around the 20th?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm all set for november. The idea is that I open a thread at the beginning of the month, and pose questions around the 20th?

That's about it. Plus keep an eye on the thread to keep it buoyant. [Smile]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Tree Bee: That's about it. Plus keep an eye on the thread to keep it buoyant. [Smile]
Can do [Smile] It's an interesting book, I hope a number of people will want to take it up.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Heading into November soon, so a heads up that our next
read will be The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado , led by LeRoc.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Tree Bee: Heading into November soon, so a heads up that our next
read will be The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado , led by LeRoc.

I'm a bit busy this week so I might not make November 1st; I'll probably be opening the thread in the weekend.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ay up, In Waterstone's a couple or three Xmases ago there were two novels on the theme of Jesus turning up (1) as a biker (2) as a rock guitarist in New York, as I recall. It's the biker one I really want. I read the blurb and He was good an' 'ard. Any one know these?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Next month's book, (executive decision) is The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin .
It's nice and short so hopefully several will join in despite this busy time of year.

Please submit suggestions for next year's programme and indicate if you could lead the thread for your suggested book.
Preferably choose something easily available in paperback, and it can be a novel or non fiction, old or new.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I'm thinking of maybe doing Laurie King's "Justice Hall", sometime next year.

JH is part of her really good mystery series about Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell. It's in the middle of the series; but IMHO it can stand on its own. It's *very* well done.

I don't have an idea of when, yet.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016