homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book-keeping: the book group thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book-keeping: the book group thread
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we are on the last page, [Eek!] , bumping up.

Currently we are reading Toby's Room by Pat Barker.

Then:

August - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams led by Taliesin.

September - City of Women by David Gillham led by Ariel.

October - Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers led by Garasu.

November - Longbourn by Jo Baker led by Gussie.

December- A Christmas Carol led by , any offers?

January - A Terry Pratchett title tbc led by Golden Key.

February - Arcanum by Simon Morden led by Sir Kevin.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With less than a week before the start of August, our next books will be:

August - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams led by Taliesin.

January - A Terry Pratchett title tbc led by Golden Key.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for this.

Right: October; October...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
With less than a week before the start of August, our next books will be:

Just put a hold on the former and asked that it be delivered to my local branch library and I plan to buy the latter for our Nook app on the puter as my friend Mr. Morton detests "Cramazon"! That is a derogatory nickname which may have been coined by a friend who used to work at one of their warehouses and hated her job, finding it mindless and underpaid.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re my January book: "Witches Abroad", by Terry Pratchett, please.

Thx! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how it works with making suggestions about books to read, but I'd like to suggest What is Visible by Kimberly Elkins, based on the life of Laura Bridgman. I'm reading it at the moment - I'm about half-way through - and am finding it incredibly interesting and thought-provoking. There is a review of it here.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
I don't know how it works with making suggestions about books to read, but I'd like to suggest What is Visible by Kimberly Elkins, based on the life of Laura Bridgman. I'm reading it at the moment - I'm about half-way through - and am finding it incredibly interesting and thought-provoking. There is a review of it here.

Looks an interesting read Fineline.
It shows as a recent hardback on amazon's UK site, though there is a reasonably priced kindle edition.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes, I am reading it on my Kindle. I hadn't noticed it wasn't yet out in paperback, but it makes sense, as it was only published recently. I am not sure how long it takes for books to come out in paperback.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Ah, yes, I am reading it on my Kindle. I hadn't noticed it wasn't yet out in paperback, but it makes sense, as it was only published recently. I am not sure how long it takes for books to come out in paperback.

It varies.
I've just checked a site we use at work and a paperback edition isn't listed as forthcoming.
Let's leave this title till the paperback arrives. Could you keep an eye out Fineline and let me know when it's out, then I'll add it to our programme.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have this month's novel in paperback. It belongs to our local lending library and it seems familiar. I remember the wayward electric monk with the geschfrichten* motherboard and 'Reg'.

*this is a mock-Swedish word I made up a few years ago. It is light-years more interesting than just plain old 'fried'!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
Let's leave this title till the paperback arrives. Could you keep an eye out Fineline and let me know when it's out, then I'll add it to our programme.

Okay, I'll let you know.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Here's our upcoming programme. Do join in!

January - Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett led by Golden Key.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(bump)
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just started reading Dying to Know You and really enjoying it so far

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

What is it about?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin, I suggest you google the title and author and see what you think of it. It will be quicker to do that than wait some time for someone else to do a search for you then post the results.

I will, however, provide a link for you to get you started. You may like to bookmark this, as it is quite useful.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks for the reminder about our next book. Just put my reservation on.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Mine's in too. Should have it at the local branch later this week if not today. The book got a good review in the Guardian and is shortlisted for an award from the newspaper; I think I will enjoy it as will my wife when she has time to read it. It doesn't sound like it's appropriate for her teenaged pupils, most of whom are under 14.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I will, however, provide a link for you to get you started. You may like to bookmark this, as it is quite useful.

Hardy har har! That service has been in the upper right-hand corner on the screen of our iMac whenever we are on Safari for quite some time!

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

There is a Guardian review here, from a couple of years ago: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jun/15/dying-to-know-you-aidan-chambers-review

It sounds good.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Went for a grueling drive in the rain yesterday to get the library book, but it was worth it although next time it rains that hard, I'll take the big estate car instead of my little Focus!

I was puttering around with a screenplay/novel for the last hour or so: I wrote 1200 words before breakfast on a topic I dreamt up in my sleep but I am going back to reading now.

(Radio 3 makes a nice accompaniment for reading and writing, though I have to hear it on iTunes as RealPlayer seems to be down...)

I am now past page 100. I wish I could write like Aidan...

--------------------

_Feh
Shipmate
# 10899

- Posted      Profile for _Feh   Email _Feh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, a book club?! I'm so in.. Once I pay off those pesky library fees.. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

Posts: 435 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Jolly good, the more the merrier!

This month our read is

Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers . The thread will be led by Garasu.

Then:

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Over in the Mordor thread ( I still see that title and forget it's about books) leo has been singing the praises of Fathomless Riches .
He says it would be a good book group choice if no one is prudish.
Thoughts?
Edited to add that the paperback is out next May, so if it's an acceptable title we will wait till then.

[ 23. October 2014, 17:55: Message edited by: Tree Bee ]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read an interveiw with Richard Coles recently and I'd be interested in Fathomless Riches. Thanks for the reminder about what the Mordor twinned with Slough thread is about - I'd forgotten.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to read it too. He does a lot of BBC work, not just Saturday Live, but Radio 3 music, and he and I have both featured on each other's Twitter streams taking ridiculous pictures of each other at BBC recordings. (He's a friend of friends) His Saints' books (only one linked) and daily tweets on the lives of the saints are really worth reading. Brighten up my morning no end.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Looks like fun! Saw the preview.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Heading into a new month, so we will be reading:

Longbourn by Jo Baker. The thread will be led by Gussie.

June - Fathomless Riches by Richard Coles

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Anyone up for leading the discussion of A Christmas Carol next month?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone up for leading the discussion of A Christmas Carol next month?

If there is total silence in the ranks, I could do something (though you might have to remind me when it comes time to post questions).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I might be able to help Firenze with that. The "Christmas Carol" is one of my favourite stories. I'd offer to lead it but I can't at the time of writing guarantee I'll have the time to read the whole thing.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The deafening silence from me is because I've taught this one - and I've just suggested we might use it with some of our students.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am hoping to go to the lecture at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC on the subject of the influence of Dickens' American voyage on CAROL: http://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNumber=230199

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Brenda, I suggest you go off to the UBB Practice Thread and have a go at practising a couple of things there. The "url" button will give you the chance to put a helpful description on a link that you're posting - this is particularly useful with longer links so they don't break the scroll lock.

You might also practice using italic or quotes for book titles, which are the conventions on this forum, instead of typing them in all caps. There is an italic button if you need it, as you will see when you hit "post reply". Or you can refer to this page. It would be much appreciated if you could remember to do this.

Thanks

Ariel
Heaven Host

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I feel quite up for it now I've thought a little more about it - a couple of interesting angles suggest themselves. (I just hope they stay suggested when it comes time to start the discussion).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Actually, I feel quite up for it now I've thought a little more about it - a couple of interesting angles suggest themselves. (I just hope they stay suggested when it comes time to start the discussion).

Firenze, you're in, thanks for offering.
Thanks Ariel too, and I must apologise as I've never put book titles in italics or quotes on here. I will reform (unless I forget, of course!)

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

As we head into December tomorrow, our seasonal read will be A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. The thread is to be led by Firenze.
And into the new year :
January - Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett led by Golden Key
and jumping forward to
June - Fathomless Riches by Richard Coles. Please post on this thread if you are up for leading this one.

Further suggestions welcomed. Please choose a book which will appeal to shipmates and engender discussion.
It should be widely available in paperback.
If you can lead the thread and discussion for your suggestion please let me know!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Got my copy of Arcanum a couple of days ago on my Barnes and Noble Nook app. The author is a facebook friend as well as a Shipmate and has requested readers to avoid buying it on Amazon if possible. I expect to have it read by the middle of January if possible and will likely re-read it right after that. I will see if Dave knows a good source for discussion questions. I do have a couple of my own, having read the first three chapters as a sample a few months ago if he does not! Remember, it is about 800 pages!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

A new month and new year on the horizon, so if you'd like to join in the book group find yourself a copy of Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett .
The thread will be led by Golden Key

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting ready. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I have another suggestion I haven't read yet, but is on my Kindle (the last two suggestions I made like this were Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and Toby's Room by Pat Barker). This one is The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. It has mixed reviews, the Guardian was sniffy, Goodreads recommended it and it is Waterstone's book of the year (2014).

Or if you want something that several of us have read but has not made a book club thread, how about Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones - it's still available from the company named after a river and lacking in ethics and is showing as in print.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
quote:

Looks an interesting read Fineline.
It shows as a recent hardback on amazon's UK site, though there is a reasonably priced kindle edition.

And this looks to be out in paperback

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Or if you want something that several of us have read but has not made a book club thread, how about Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

I was just thinking yesterday it was time I re-read that.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
I have another suggestion I haven't read yet, but is on my Kindle (the last two suggestions I made like this were Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and Toby's Room by Pat Barker). This one is The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. It has mixed reviews, the Guardian was sniffy, Goodreads recommended it and it is Waterstone's book of the year (2014).

Or if you want something that several of us have read but has not made a book club thread, how about Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones - it's still available from the company named after a river and lacking in ethics and is showing as in print.

These are both great suggestions that I can add to the programme. March, April and May are free. Would you like to lead one or both Curiosity?
What is Visible by Kimberley Elkins looks to be out in paperback in June so I could put it on the programme for July.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'd like Howl's Moving Castle. I re-read that and the sequels after seeing the anime film recently.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Does someone else want to lead Howl's Moving Castle and I'll do The Miniaturist? If it is down to me, could we do Howl's Moving Castle in March and The Miniaturist in April (when there are Easter holidays)? (I've read the Diana Wynne Jones recently.)

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just reading The Miniaturist now so that should be interesting.

Anyone read Karen Joy Fowler's Booker-nominated We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves? It's fresh in my mind because I've just read it recently, and seems like there'd be some interesting fodder for discussion there. There's a good review of it here, which, like almost every review of the book, gives away a very major spoiler, but it's almost impossible to talk about the book without that particularly spoiler.

Anyway, I thought it was a very interesting book, and if anyone else is interested, I'd be glad to lead a discussion on it.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Trudy - I've heard Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves recommended from a number of sources and would be interested in reading it.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm happy to lead Howl's Moving Castle, and having just read the blurb for We Are Completely Besides Ourselves and having enjoyed her Jane Austen Book club book, I'm interested in reading that too.
I do like this book group, I get to read things I never normally would.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Trudy - I've heard Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves recommended from a number of sources and would be interested in reading it.

Me too!
Thanks for these suggestions and offers to lead threads. I'll update the programme another day, I'm rather too relaxed right now! [Biased]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016