homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book-keeping: the book group thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book-keeping: the book group thread
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, here's our programme; there are some really interesting books in this list.

January - Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett led by Golden Key.

February - Arcanum by Simon Morden led by Sir Kevin. (The author requests we don't obtain this from amazon.)

March - Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones led by Sarasa.

April - The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton led by Curiosity killed...

May - We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler led by Trudy Scrumptious.

June - Fathomless Riches by Richard Coles . Looking for a thread leader for this one.

July - What is Visible by Kimberly Elkins. Fineline , would you be happy to lead this one?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
December [reorganised to February] - Arcanum by Simon Morden led by Sir Kevin.

It's 700+ pages long. You may want to start early... [Razz]
It's £3.99 on Kindle. You're much less likely to put your back out picking it up, too...
Kindle is Amazon - doesn't that make the author OK with us buying the book from Amazon?

(I bought my copy from a bookshop, but suspect to read it will end up with another copy on the Kindle - it being a bit heavy to carry to and from w**k with all the other stuff I usually heft around. Although the current price is £4.31)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought my Kindle from Watersones, but I haven't yet tried buying an ebook from them, though they do sell them. As far as I can gather, they use the Amazon system, so I presume some money still goes to Amazon at some point.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a message from the author of Arcanum... [Biased]

"Hachette have sorted out their argument with Amazon for the time being, so if you have a kindle and want to read an ecopy, then go right ahead. There's no problem."

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doc Tor said:

quote:
I have a message from the author of Arcanum... [Biased]

"Hachette have sorted out their argument with Amazon for the time being, so if you have a kindle and want to read an ecopy, then go right ahead. There's no problem."

That's good, at 700 plus pages I thought I'd better get reading, so I've just downloaded it to my kindle.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to hear. Expect to finish the first reading of the book next week and re-read it at least once after that prior to opening discussion.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016