homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Heart-sinking words (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heart-sinking words
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Someone once scolded the word "utilize" out of me.

"Use." The word is "use."

I would have agreed until I was advised by a Scottish school teacher (from Paisley) that "utilize" is sometimes needed to avoid confusion with "youse".

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look. 'Youse' isn't good grammar. Nor is y'all. We all know that. As far as I know, 'youse' is a scouse word, but it's probably found in other places as well.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And anyway, the full form is youse'ns - as opposed to them'ns.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Look. 'Youse' isn't good grammar. Nor is y'all. We all know that. As far as I know, 'youse' is a scouse word, but it's probably found in other places as well.

They're perfectly good Grammar. They're not standard, but they're perfectly grammatical and there are rules observed by those who use them that govern their use. Not prescriptive rules written by a grammarian; real rules that can be discerned from the usage of the speech community in which they are found.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear, hear.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a problem saying 'You all'. It works well in the absence of thou and you!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When people say 'youse' I hear 'yews' - it can make life a tad confusing.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
I don't have a problem saying 'You all'. It works well in the absence of thou and you!

In Virginia we say you all rather than y'all. The only problem is in forming a possessive. In that situation, I tend to say "y'alls".

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the OP "Team brief"; "Staff briefing".

Also, anyone telling you their job title ends with "agent" and doesn't start with "special" or "secret". It's often a sign that they're an arsehole.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We should form a task force."

Because more meetings will make things better...

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

Better known to me as a "Task Farce", as my brother referred to them thus as far back as the nineteen-sixties.

If it doesn't include at least one aircraft carrier, it isn't a task force. A bit like workshops, which ought to include saws, screwdrivers, drills and hammers, not white boards and post-its.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
I made no claim about logic.
[Roll Eyes]

I never claimed that you made such a claim.

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:it is at the least, unfortunate for an adult to misuse their native tongue in such a way and indicates a stalling of language development.
Using the word unfortunate as a euphamism is surely an ideal addition to this thread.

quote:
YMMV and rest assured I will comprehend your meaning when you say "yous". [/QB]
You must have overlooked the part in my post where I had written "I don't use it,".

I will rest assured that you will comprehend my meaning later, perhaps.

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I just hope it's going to be a
Grass Roots task force.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
When people say 'youse' I hear 'yews' - it can make life a tad confusing.

I hear "ewes" which is probably even more so.
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you everyone for your input. Do we have buy-in on workshopping through role play and brainstorming in order to leverage our synergies in an outcome-orientated timeframe? Let's stick that to the wall for the moment and take five.
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Thank you everyone for your input. Do we have buy-in on workshopping through role play and brainstorming in order to leverage our synergies in an outcome-orientated timeframe? Let's stick that to the wall for the moment and take five.

Oi! You! Firenze! No!

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To return briefly to the youse/y'all tangent, doesn't the fact that so many regional dialects of English have a plural "you" suggest that the language is crying out for our lost second-person-plural pronoun? Other languages have one; why did we give up ours? Here in Newfoundland may be one of the last places on earth where people say "ye" colloquially to indicate the second person plural, but there's clearly a need for it. Sometimes it's very important to distinguish whether one of you or the whole crowd of ye is being addressed.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do have the Second Person Plural - it's the First Person Singular 'thou' that we lost.

--------------------

If only.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My subconscious has been repressing "360° feedback". Mostly because it’s a big fat lie. If it was really 360°, they would let me evaluate my manager. And there’s no chance of them letting me do that any time soon, is there?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We do have the Second Person Plural - it's the Second Person Singular 'thou' that we lost.

FTFY

[Razz]

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

quote:
Originally posted by Anesti:
quote:
We do have the Second Person Plural - it's the Second Person Singular 'thou' that we lost.

FTFY

[Razz]

! Whoops.

Lord I was blind...

Pride cometh...

--------------------

If only.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
My subconscious has been repressing "360° feedback". Mostly because it’s a big fat lie. If it was really 360°, they would let me evaluate my manager. And there’s no chance of them letting me do that any time soon, is there?

360 feedback is a load of crap and I'm pretty sure it was found to be ineffective BUT if it is truly 360 degree feedback then you should be allowed to review your mngr-or at least your manager should be reviewed by at least 1 person who reports to him/her/. I have reviewed bosses and ppl who reported 2 me reviewed me.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
My subconscious has been repressing "360° feedback". Mostly because it’s a big fat lie. If it was really 360°, they would let me evaluate my manager.

Surely that'd be 180°?

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anesti:
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
I made no claim about logic.
[Roll Eyes]

I never claimed that you made such a claim.

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:it is at the least, unfortunate for an adult to misuse their native tongue in such a way and indicates a stalling of language development.
Using the word unfortunate as a euphamism is surely an ideal addition to this thread.

quote:
YMMV and rest assured I will comprehend your meaning when you say "yous".

You must have overlooked the part in my post where I had written "I don't use it,".

I will rest assured that you will comprehend my meaning later, perhaps. [/QB]

Bit too keen to take the plural non-specific "you" as personally directed to your very own singular self there Anesti and you've got the cheek to have a go at my comprehension.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Igniting lightsaber
Anesti and Evangeline, knock off the personal attacks. Re-read the Ten Commandments, especially number four.

Remember, this is Heaven!

jedijudy
Heaven host
Lightsaber off

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just seen this awesome video in which X did something not particularly interesting to Y - and Y's AMAZING reaction totally blew me away. I'd share it with you, but ....

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Isn't it time to think about booking somewhere for the office Christmas lunch?"
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Already too late, isn't it?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends where you are.
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Excuse me, can you help me? I'm parked in the 15 minute zone and I need....."

From years of working in retail. If he needed it in less than 15 minutes I knew there was a very good chance it would not take less than 15 minutes.

"Last call!"

At a bar, Saturday night.

[ 31. October 2014, 22:03: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
"Isn't it time to think about booking somewhere for the office Christmas lunch?"

Now is the time to go vegan.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Look. 'Youse' isn't good grammar. Nor is y'all....

I say 'You lot' even when addressing my pupils. I am understood.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:

Sometimes it's very important to distinguish whether one of you or the whole crowd of ye is being addressed.

Yes. A colleague from Mississippi once explained to me that, when addressing a group, one uses the plural form "all y'all."

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

'The grammar of colloquial speech' is beginning to depress my spirits a tad now.

Not quite the subject of the thread.

Firenze, HH

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shouldn't 360° feedback be me looking in a mirror and saying 'what a fantastic chap you are'?

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Shouldn't 360° feedback be me looking in a mirror and saying 'what a fantastic chap you are'?

Indeed it should. I have bored and exasperated any number of managers and HR drones by describing it as 180° feedback.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of people who say they will "give 110%" to a task.

Literally.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
That reminds me of people who say they will "give 110%" to a task.

Literally.

That's like saying all schools/hospitals/etc must be better than average, or in the highest percentile (another horrible word by the way). It is particularly bad when this is demanded of organisations one of whose reasons for existence is to teach children basic maths.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard someone on the news talk about 'the customer experience'. Bleurgh.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's like saying all schools/hospitals/etc must be better than average...

Garrison Keiller (sp?) in his Prairie Home Companion talked about a place where all the children were above average.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"[Train company] welcomes you aboard.."

Aaargh no, please don't welcome me aboard. Don't. Just don't. If you do, I know that not only will you also recite the long list of destinations between here and eternity, but you will inexorably continue with "in the interests of safety and security..." and tell me this train is fitted with CCTV, I must report any suspicious persons I become aware of, mustn't leave unaccompanied bags alone, must take a moment to read the important safety information in the vestibule - then you'll finally shut up - until the next station, when I'll be encouraged to mind the gap, make sure I have my ticket because there are barriers, step down carefully onto the platform and take all my belongings (which I haven't brought) with me.

It's not even my stop.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: "[Train company] welcomes you aboard.."
In Belgium they do this in four languages.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Wow. Just wow."

In all honesty though, it doesn't make my heart sink, so much as it makes my hand want to slap.

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We have 720° feedback. The faculty assess the students work. The students provide the faculty with feedback on their courses. The faculty tells the students what they have done to respond to the feedback. The student representatives comment on the faculty's response to the student feedback to the way the course was assessed.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
We have 720° feedback. The faculty assess the students work. The students provide the faculty with feedback on their courses. The faculty tells the students what they have done to respond to the feedback. The student representatives comment on the faculty's response to the student feedback to the way the course was assessed.

And in among all this assessing and responding, does anybody actually do any studying?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, I really shouldn't have posted this. Guess who just found out he has to chair one of the bloody things...
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:

Kill them. You know it's the only way. No jury in the land would convict.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT is a euphemism for coercing or gently persuading pupils to behave well and learn their lessons or punishing them if they don't. It is malarkey!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And along with that, Challenging Behaviour.

I thought, at first, that that was when a child deliberately challenged the teacher, as in "You have got that wrong." But it turned out to be more general, as in behaviour which requires Classroom Management.

[ 04. November 2014, 11:49: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016