homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Great" books we hate (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Great" books we hate
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
American Gods by Neil Gaimen. What a load of piffle. Masterwork my arse

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I hated Portnoy's Complaint. Protagonist was a whiny little shit.

YES

He seemed to enjoy doing repulsive things and then moaning about the fact that he was the kind of person who did those things.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything by Joseph Conrad. My grandfather was a friend of his and was best man at his wedding so i thought i ought to read his stuff but I couldn't get on with it.

[ 29. November 2014, 11:47: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nearly got kicked out of two book clubs for this but I can't stop myself:

I hated Beloved.

I thought Toni Morrison was hell bent on inflicting every single recorded atrocity from the history of slavery on this one small group and making sure every last white person, including the abolitionists were pure evil. Morrison's anger omits all subtlety. None of the characters were developed past their own list of miserable happenings so the reader's empathy was reduced to what one might feel reading a newspaper account of tragedy.

Her protagonist was illogical as well as much of the imagined inner life of the slaves. For example, the old woman was spending her time thinking about colors because "she had never had time" to do that before. Wouldn't the main feature of many of her jobs have been extreme tedium and boredom? Wouldn't a day spent picking strawberries lent enough time to think about red?

Toni Morrison's writing is my perfect example of brilliance without discipline. Reading her is worse than boring it's annoying.

Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved Steinbeck when I was twenty, have a full set of paperbacks. Thirty years on, I sometimes pick one up again, but it never seems to grip, except for Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat and Sweet Thursday, which are his most satisfying books. I think the humour gives the stories a reality that the relentessly gloomy more political works lack.

In Dubious Battle, for instance, seems peopled by caricatures who lack any humanity.

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I don't know if he's really considered contemporary 'classic' but I know he has a huge following, and I can't bear him - 'he' being Paolo Coelho. The only good thing I can say about "The Alchemist" is that it was better than "The Pilgrimage", which is the closest I've ever come to throwing a book across the room. Pseudo-spiritual willy-waving mumbo-jumbo, ugh.

Agreed. I can see why "The Alchemist" might appeal to an angsty 14 year old - in fact I'd probably have loved it at 14 - but any older than that, no.

I love "Hard Times." It was a set text for the OU Foundation Arts course, so perhaps the joy of starting my history degree made everything in that context seem excellent. I've never managed to read "A Tale of Two Cities."

That's the same course where I studied it and hated it [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neil Gaiman is one of those authors that I just know has a stupendous, worldchanging book in him. Unfortunately he never writes it, instead pouring out his putative genius on what feels like ephemera. (Ocean at the End of the Lane was severely disappointing.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Neil Gaiman is one of those authors that I just know has a stupendous, worldchanging book in him. Unfortunately he never writes it, instead pouring out his putative genius on what feels like ephemera. (Ocean at the End of the Lane was severely disappointing.)

I liked it.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:

I liked it.

Tubbs

Me too, I like most of his work. Loved American Gods

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gone with the wind

Have some time for Scarlett but Melly Wilkes! She's of the type a friend calls 'killers in chiffon' - so nice they set your teeth on edge just by walking into a room and as soon as they speak you want to shake them till their teeth rattle. Olivia de Haviland got her off to a tee in the film, which is what made it so unbelievable that Scarlett didn't just smack her.

Now for a true stinker: although no one ever said it was a 'great' book, if you really want to plumb the depths track down a copy of The Heart has its Reasons by the late Duchess of Windsor. Over 300 pages of self-justifying tripe in a style of such dreadful arch whimsy it induces migraine and nausea.

Yes, you may feel the Wallis did the British a favour and we should erect a statue to her - but this book will make you give up on that idea after the first few paragraphs.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel like the schoolteacher, saying, "But Neil is not working up to his potential. He could do so much better."

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
My least favorite is Pride and Prejudice (hands down her most popular work) and my favorite is "Mansfield Park." That was her last book and I think her deepest, most mature work, and as you say, profoundly moral.

Her last novel was in fact "Persuasion". But good on you for standing up for Fanny Price, who has been written off here as a goodie. God, what she has to put up with. Aunt Norris is Austen's nastiest character and all too believable.
I like Fanny Price. Maybe the fact that she makes no effort to be likeable makes me like her.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I hated Beloved.

I thought Toni Morrison was hell bent on inflicting every single recorded atrocity from the history of slavery on this one small group and making sure every last white person, including the abolitionists were pure evil. Morrison's anger omits all subtlety. None of the characters were developed past their own list of miserable happenings so the reader's empathy was reduced to what one might feel reading a newspaper account of tragedy.

It's been a long time since I read 'Beloved' and my memories are probably heavily influenced by the film, but I suspect that the reality of slavery in that place and time was far worse in most cases than a modern fictional account. I can't imagine it was a way of life, for either slave or slave-holder, that admitted much subtlety.

Anyway, regarding books I couldn't finish and feel unlikely to return to, I'd include:

'The Europeans' by Henry James,
'A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch' by Solzhenitsyn,
a fantasy novel by Michael Moorcock,
'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson
'The Silent Touch of Shadows' by Christina Courtenay

If anyone wants a really boring read I'd recommend 'La Jalousie' by Alain Robbe-Grillet. I finished it because I was sure something was going to happen eventually. But it never did. Would anyone publish that sort of thing today, even in France? I doubt it.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:

I liked it.

Tubbs

Me too, I like most of his work. Loved American Gods
Yup. American Gods is a fantastic book. Of course, Neil Gaiman will always struggle in future to get anywhere near the masterpiece that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett - Good Omens. Still one of the best books of all time.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Ocean At The End Of The Lane" American Gods falls in the "OK" category but isn't one of my favorites.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hated Portnoy's Complaint. Protagonist was a whiny little shit.

That confirms what I said upthread about Martha Quest and The Children of Violence. If you want people to read and admire your books, don't write them round a dislikable main character that your readers won't want to spend time with.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Now for a true stinker: although no one ever said it was a 'great' book, if you really want to plumb the depths track down a copy of The Heart has its Reasons by the late Duchess of Windsor. Over 300 pages of self-justifying tripe in a style of such dreadful arch whimsy it induces migraine and nausea.

Oh, I read that in a couple of hours lying on the sofa a couple of Boxing Days ago, minding the dog while while Mrs A took the inlaws to the panto, and rather enjoyed it as a sort of extended Hello article. Suitable for convalescents and so on.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

Gormenghast: Mervyn Peake was an artist and in every scene I felt him building the picture word by word like a painter with brush strokes. I revelled in it.

I tried to read the first Gormenghast book whilst in early pregnancy. Big mistake. I got as far as the drunk, swaying chef, and had to give in. The whole thing made me dizzy and nauseous.

It's a shame, as I really wanted to like it, and I'd just heard some adaptations on the radio and loved them. Perhaps I'll have another go and feel a bit less sick.

[ 29. November 2014, 22:00: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

I hated Beloved.

It's been a long time since I read 'Beloved' and my memories are probably heavily influenced by the film, but I suspect that the reality of slavery in that place and time was far worse in most cases than a modern fictional account. I can't imagine it was a way of life, for either slave or slave-holder, that admitted much subtlety.

Of course slavery was horrible and I agree that the reality would be much worse than a fictional account. Why would you jump to the conclusion that I didn't think slavery was terrible, because I didn't like this particular modern woman's book about it? I think it's a subject that deserves better than a florid, overwrought ghost story.

My problem with this book is that I don't think Morrison does a good job of making the reader feel any part of what it was like. I didn't say that slaves or the slave holders lacked subtlety, but Toni Morrison. I think a better writer could have taken the same subject and developed all aspects of the character so that we could see her as a real person first and then feel the events with her.

I've read accounts by people who actually were slaves as well as people who lived through concentration camps during WWII and I'm always amazed at the human spirit that can survive through such things. Amazingly those people were still generous, still able to laugh at times, and still able to hope. I felt none of that in the characters in "Beloved," and I think it was because Morrison thought that any moment of joy or spark of wit would undermine her message. I think she underestimates the people who survived slavery as well as the intelligence of her readers.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here-- the television adaptation was so fantastic I eagerly scooped up the book. One of the rare occasions in which I''d say, " Stick with the movie."
[ epic crosspost-- I was talking about Gormenghast. ]
And while I did love Hugo's Les Miserables, here would be a rare occasion I would say, " get the abridged edition." I was young and proud and though I was too good for anything abridged. I was punished for the sin of pride by having to slog through chapter after chapter of expository political tirades. Fuck me. I guess that is what happens when your editor is a political ally.

It gave me a giggle, though, to read how Hugo declared he was drawing a veil of respect over Marius and Cosette's wedding night, only to spend the next page and a half rhapsodizing about it.

[ 29. November 2014, 22:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Les Miserables is a book that I would have sworn was impossible to bring to the musical stage. Shows you what I know, eh? It is almost deliberately badly written -- the first large chunk solely devoted to the philosophy of Bishop Myriel, who then vanishes from the plot. Jean Valjean doesn't appear for many chapters.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Les Miserables is a book that I would have sworn was impossible to bring to the musical stage. Shows you what I know, eh?

Well, the opera did suck. Badly.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've read accounts by people who actually were slaves as well as people who lived through concentration camps during WWII and I'm always amazed at the human spirit that can survive through such things. Amazingly those people were still generous, still able to laugh at times, and still able to hope. I felt none of that in the characters in "Beloved," and I think it was because Morrison thought that any moment of joy or spark of wit would undermine her message. I think she underestimates the people who survived slavery as well as the intelligence of her readers.

There are some very life-affirming texts about slaves, slave owners and Holocaust survivors, true. But perhaps we need to hear a little of the alternative, sometimes. Plenty of people would have been totally destroyed, morally and spiritually, by these experiences. Indeed, many commentators note the disastrous effects of the slave trade are still apparent today; there isn't always a happy ending, although times change and things move on.

Regarding the ghost aspect, there's a lot of that in African slave and post-slavery culture in the Americas, so a number of novels about those days are likely to include it. However, it occurs to me that slave narratives written at the time would largely have excluded any mention of ghosts, though, as the authors would have known or been made aware their bourgeois readership would have been unforgiving of 'superstition'. More contemporary literary attempts to recuperate all aspects of slave culture would obviously be more willing to incorporate and explore belief systems that would once have been considered dangerous and shameful.

I'm not saying that anyone has to like this particular book, though! We're all different.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Les Miserables is a book that I would have sworn was impossible to bring to the musical stage. Shows you what I know, eh?

Dude, some things you learn to enjoy just so you can throw your arms around your friends' shoulders and drunkenly bawl out " Empty Chairs and Empty Tables."

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Steinbeck, and Gormenghast (have not seen the television adaptation and heard it was awful). I've not read any of Gaiman's novels except for Coraline, but I love his Batman comics.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dude, some things you learn to enjoy just so you can throw your arms around your friends' shoulders and drunkenly bawl out " Empty Chairs and Empty Tables."
The melodies were so utterly forgettable I wouldn't be able to do so, even if I memorized the words.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And while I did love Hugo's Les Miserables, here would be a rare occasion I would say, " get the abridged edition."

Nonsense. The reason to read Les Miserables is to watch and see what tangent Hugo is going to go off on next. (Hugo is one of France's best poets - the tangents are prose poems.)
The other advantage of the tangents is that in real life it would be an intolerable coincidence that the same four or five people keep bumping into each other. You don't feel this so much when each encounter is separated by fifty pages on the Battle of Waterloo, or twenty pages on sewers.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also hated Beloved, it wasn't the portrayal of slavery but the nature of the writing. I vaguely remember, (its been over 20 years since we did the book at school), that early on the character thinks / is described as feeling she needs a man to lift her heavy breasts, the way she needs one to help round the house.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There are some very life-affirming texts about slaves, slave owners and Holocaust survivors, true. But perhaps we need to hear a little of the alternative, sometimes. Plenty of people would have been totally destroyed, morally and spiritually, by these experiences.
Bingo. I agree. And these people, by definition, are not going to write any books. So someone needs to write them for them. Whether or not they can do a convincing job of it is another matter, and not one I'm qualified to comment on, having not read 'Beloved'.

It's a funny thing (and probably a tangent), but when I do feel a burning need to force myself to sit down and address the issue of man's inhumanity to man, slavery in the US doesn't come into it. Or the holocaust. No, I need to flagellate myself with tales of the English brutalising the Irish, or Indians, or indeed, their own less-fortunately-cirucumstanced countrymen. Corporate intergenerational guilt, huh? I think it possesses writers as well as readers...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

Oh, I read that in a couple of hours lying on the sofa a couple of Boxing Days ago, minding the dog while while Mrs A took the inlaws to the panto, and rather enjoyed it as a sort of extended Hello article. Suitable for convalescents and so on.
You, Sir, win the grand prize for cattiness on this thread, hands down. And I say that with a
[Overused] , rather than a [Mad] , to be clear...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who couldn't finish Beloved. It wasn't the story because I didn't get that far into it. I just couldn't engage with any characters enough to want to read further. The same sort of feelings engendered by Charles Bukowski.

Another prize winning book that didn't live up to expectations was Hotel du Lac - and that one I finished.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I also hated Beloved, it wasn't the portrayal of slavery but the nature of the writing. I vaguely remember, (its been over 20 years since we did the book at school), that early on the character thinks / is described as feeling she needs a man to lift her heavy breasts, the way she needs one to help round the house.

Yes, and she says it was a relief to share "the responsibility," of her breasts.

Really, I don't know why I try to explain it. I've read books where the protagonist is in as much unremitting agony and liked them better. It's really just the writing.

Now, "Hotel Du Lac" is a good contrast. It is also introspective with some stream of consciousness going on but when Anita Brookner does it, I can at least follow it, if not necessarily call it a fun time. I do usually like her though, if I'm in the right mood.

[ 30. November 2014, 11:09: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a specific kind of female (rather than feminist) writing / programme making that is obsessed with femaleness as understood as any bodily function, or attribute not common to both sexes. They have to tell you if the character has their period, or are "hormonal" or the sun sets like her memory of libido before she had six kids or whatever. And I find it turgid and alienating to read.

In the same way every bloody time I hear women's hour in the car its about the menopause, or sharing custody of the children, or the glass ceiling, or vulval cancer, or some similar issue as if women have no identity or interest beyond a) their sex and b) their relationships with men in any given sphere.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually Albertus has a point (about the Wallis Simpson book) because, in its own dreadful way, it is quite an enjoyable read and one keeps turning the pages to see what justification or tripe she comes up with next.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
quote:

[...]

Really, I don't know why I try to explain it. I've read books where the protagonist is in as much unremitting agony and liked them better. It's really just the writing.

But explaining your feelings is the point of a book group, isn't it?

I can imagine that in an environment of PC readers it's hard to criticise a book like this. But you're probably on safer territory among such people if you make it clear that it's the style and not the content that you disapprove of. Although some of your comments above seemed to blend into content too, e.g. re the ghosts, and the slave holders being depicted as unremittingly bad people rather than being nuanced characters.

Did your book groups read any other novels by black authors about slavery, or was this the only one? I think it's very unfortunate when a just one or two books are singled out to represent what was a vast, complex and controversial history.

I'm trying to think of some really boring or frustrating novels I've read on this subject but from my perspective they've all been engaging in some way, even Phillipa Gregory's 'A Respectable Trade', which some people think is cliched and sentimental, and 'Uncle Tom's Cabin', mentioned above. However, I'm particularly interested in this subject so perhaps I'm a more forgiving reader.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is a specific kind of female (rather than feminist) writing / programme making that is obsessed with femaleness as understood as any bodily function, or attribute not common to both sexes. They have to tell you if the character has their period, or are "hormonal" or the sun sets like her memory of libido before she had six kids or whatever. And I find it turgid and alienating to read.

But isn't that most likely just a reaction to a long tradition of women's writing in which it was considered inappropriate to talk about those things? I said on the Longbourn book club thread that you could read all of Austen without ever thinking anyone went to the bathroom -- and you could certainly go all through her work, and that of many other women writers, assuming that none of the heroines ever had (or, heaven forbid, missed!) a period either. So when the taboo on writing about that sort of thing began to disappear, I think there was (and to some extent still is) a reaction in the opposite direction, to write at some length about this huge swathe of human existence that had been silent before.

I have to say how much I am LOVING this thread ... both to see people hating books that I hate, and also hating books that I love, because it just underlines how completely subjective the whole reading/writing project is. Despite the status of some books as "classics" or "great books," it still, always, ultimately comes down to whether a particular book connects with a particular reader or not. And for every book on here that someone has hated there are people ready to leap to its defense.

Even true within the work of a single author. Re Neil Gaiman: I loved Ocean at the End of the Lane; thought it was chilling, insightful and brilliant. I couldn't figure out what the hell I was reading from the front cover of American Gods to the back.

I did go through a little project last year of revisiting a number of classic novels that I had either given up on, or disliked, when I was younger. Most of them -- including Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment, The Great Gatsby, A Sale of Two Titties -- had improved with (my) age, and I was able to enjoy them more, though some were still not easy reads. Others ... well, Tristram Shandy is always going to be slow going, there's no question about that. And yet another crack at Hemingway did not render him more readable.

I didn't try Hardy again during this project (most of these were books read or attempted during university years and not touched since, and Hardy would fall into that category) but now I feel like I should give him another shot.

[Edited to clarify that I did in fact read American Gods from front to back, not the reverse as my post originally suggested: if I had, that would certainly have explained why the book didn't work for me.]

[ 30. November 2014, 15:01: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

You, Sir, win the grand prize for cattiness on this thread, hands down. And I say that with a
[Overused] , rather than a [Mad] , to be clear...

Aw, gee, shucks...
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is a large class of things that we simply don't write about and don't read about (except in medical textbooks and health articles): excretory matters, flatulence, flossing of the teeth, sanitary napkins, boborygmus (a pity, such a cool word!) and so forth.

Many of these are bodily functions and fall into the 'not in public, dear' category. It is interesting to look at what has moved into, and out of, this class over time. Sex, for instance, is now front and center in a way that would make Austen's eyes pop. But we are as shy as ever about bowel movements, and to a great extent cigarettes have moved into the no-go zone in my lifetime.

But some of these things, like tooth flossing, are just things that are dull and everyday, and that it is not interesting to read about. The author very properly feels that if it's not interesting (and cannot be made interesting) then it shouldn't be written about. Life is too short, to write, or read, about dull things.

But from the historical point of view, these things are fascinating. Austen didn't write about chamberpots because of rule 1, above. But they also came under rune 2, and now we know nothing of it, mostly.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
The long LONG descriptions in older novels date back to the time when there was no photography, no Google, no Wikipedia. If you wanted to know what a whale was like, Herman Melville had to describe it for you because there was no other way for you to know.

Most coastal populations would have seen a whale (which were far more plentiful in the 19th C), and whales were (and still are) seen in the Thames as far up as London (example here from the 1840s). Newspapers often used lithographs to illustrate their stories - often fancifully - and since whaling was a major activity across the world, paintings and prints of whalers and whales were common.

I just happen to think long descriptive passages fell out of vogue because they're startling tedious. And yes, Thomas Hardy, I'm looking at you...

Seeing a whale in the Thames is hardly sailing on a ship on the high seas, exporing foreign lands or discovering unknown civilisations.
In the past, what most saw was quite limited. Now with the telly, any experience is shared immediately and with high-definition clarity. And the general attention span is lessening as well as the sheer amount entertainment options.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It isn't a Great Book (although it is a great big book) but LOTR is stuffed with long boring descriptions too.

Sir! We meet at dawn, bring your second.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
It isn't a Great Book (although it is a great big book) but LOTR is stuffed with long boring descriptions too.

I'll be your second, LB.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

But some of these things, like tooth flossing, are just things that are dull and everyday, and that it is not interesting to read about. The author very properly feels that if it's not interesting (and cannot be made interesting) then it shouldn't be written about. Life is too short, to write, or read, about dull things.

Vonnegut told about a short story he read folowimg a day in the life of a nun who had gotten a piece of dental floss stuck in her back teeth. He said you couldn't read it without wanting to fish around in your mouth with a finger.

I really think it depends on the writer.

Those who write about mundane bodily matters in a " behold how I am GoingThere" sort of way are kind of tedious. But a frank, non- sensational description of a character's tolieting habits can be revealing and entertaining.

Anne Lamott had a flip little scene in one of her books in which a character walks in on his lover in the bathroom as she is holding her tampon in front of her face to check for yeast infection, and because the tone is so casual and frank, it winds up being a funny little example of how close the two are getting.

This would probably make a great thread of its own.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

I'll be your second, LB.
If his aim is as true as his critique, that shall not be necessary. But popcorn and mousethief coolers would be quite welcome.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
My father-in-law always referred to D H Lawrence as 'The man who made sex boring'. I got as far as the second paragraph of Women in Love once before deciding that life was too short to bother reading the rest.

Lady Chatterley's Lover would qualify for a Bad Sex award if were to be first published today.
No, that award goes to Valley of the Dolls. [Projectile]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
But isn't that most likely just a reaction to a long tradition of women's writing in which it was considered inappropriate to talk about those things? I said on the Longbourn book club thread that you could read all of Austen without ever thinking anyone went to the bathroom ...

Apart from Apthorpe and the Thunderbox in Sword of Honour I can't think of many books by men that say much about this daily experience.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
My father-in-law always referred to D H Lawrence as 'The man who made sex boring'. I got as far as the second paragraph of Women in Love once before deciding that life was too short to bother reading the rest.

Lady Chatterley's Lover would qualify for a Bad Sex award if were to be first published today.
No, that award goes to Valley of the Dolls. [Projectile]
My vote for that is for Anne Rice D'Pseudonym's Sleeping Beauty series.

I have nothing against spanking, sub fantasies, or a healthy dose of erotica, but there are only so many adjectives you can go through to describe gushing bodily fluids before things get tedious. And sticky.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:

Those who write about mundane bodily matters in a " behold how I am GoingThere" sort of way are kind of tedious. But a frank, non- sensational description of a character's tolieting habits can be revealing and entertaining.

...[snip]...

This would probably make a great thread of its own.

I'm glad you think so, seeing as I was gagging to start one! Here it is.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:

I can imagine that in an environment of PC readers it's hard to criticise a book like this. But you're probably on safer territory among such people if you make it clear that it's the style and not the content that you disapprove of. Although some of your comments above seemed to blend into content too, e.g. re the ghosts, and the slave holders being depicted as unremittingly bad people rather than being nuanced characters.

Did your book groups read any other novels by black authors about slavery, or was this the only one? I think it's very unfortunate when a just one or two books are singled out to represent what was a vast, complex and controversial history.

Nowhere did I complain about all the slave holders being unremittingly bad people. I said all the white people were awful including the abolitionists. And as I already explained to you, I was talking about Toni Morrison's writing when I said there was a lack of subtlety, not the characters.

We've read "Uncle Tom's Cabin," together (I liked it) and many other books by African American authors. We recently read James McBride's "Good Luck Bird," about the raid at Harper's Ferry and I loved it.

I really don't see why it's not PC for me to dislike both the style and the content of this novel. Your reaction is like some of the women in my book group. You act as though I said slavery never existed or that slaves didn't suffer. We're talking about a work of fiction. I happen to think this subject deserves good writing and authentic characters. You seem to think any book at all written on this subject, becomes sacred because of it's subject matter. I don't. I'm a Christian but I don't think every book published as "Christian," is a good book.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
But isn't that most likely just a reaction to a long tradition of women's writing in which it was considered inappropriate to talk about those things? I said on the Longbourn book club thread that you could read all of Austen without ever thinking anyone went to the bathroom ...

Apart from Apthorpe and the Thunderbox in Sword of Honour I can't think of many books by men that say much about this daily experience.
IIRC in Anthony Burgess' Enderby novels the protagonist spends a fair bit of time in the loo, although not always necessarily actually on it.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] The thing about Woman's Hour is that it discusses the things not discussed elsewhere, not that women are confined to listening to it. We can listen to Jim Al Khalili, Melvyn Bragg, anything and everything outside that three quarters of an hour, but those things are not discussed anywhere else, and they need to be. (Actually, I find the singer songwriters tedious and turn elsewhere.) [/tangent]
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Why does one never hear Hemingway's work described as cock lit?

Now see here, people of SoF. I was playing the piano in church this morning, and the visiting Bishop began his sermon with the tale of Hemingway's 6 word stories. I had to bite my tongue to prevent an outbreak of the giggles.

I blame you people. [Big Grin]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016