homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christmas dinner (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas dinner
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I've had the Lidl lobster and there was little discernible flavour bar the garlic butter. I would try and track down that rare beast, the Reputable Fishmonger, and get a fresh one.

ETA. I do not mean to imply that the generality of fishmongers are disreputable, but rather that they are few and far between these days.

There's one in the Covered Market in Oxford. I don't know of any others within a 50 mile radius, so Aldi or Morrisons may have to do.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sons are working over Christmas, so we are having Christmas dinner and presents etc on the 27th.

On Christmas day we will be helping out at Church where we do a full Christmas dinner for those who would otherwise be on their own (about 60 people) we take 40 hot dinners to the housebound too. So OH and I will have an Indian take-away when we get home!

Different [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
so Aldi or Morrisons may have to do.

I'm just back from an Aldi shop - didn't notice any lobsters in the freezers. Morrisons I consider quite good for wet fish.

There is a fishmonger a couple of streets away - but it's one of a cluster of Chinese food outlets selling mainly to the restaurant trade. For the most part, I don't even recognise the stock. If I go down to Marchmont, there's the wonderful
Eddie's - also Chinese, but in approachable fillets. I might look in and see what their going rate for lobster is currently.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am the family cook, but I am also the pastor of two small churches. I'm going to make my famous lasagna for a late dinner, after the Christmas Eve services.

We don't have Christmas Day services, so we're going to my wife's parents' house early Christmas morning. I'm making cinnamon rolls, but there will be other things as well. I don't know what they have planned for Christmas Day dinner. Their main Christmas dinner is on Christmas Eve.

We'll visit my family on New Year's Day, and I think my mother is planning a humongous feast with ham and turkey and dressing (we Southerners don't usually do stuffing). I'll most likely take homemade rolls.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are driving 4 hours to visit a family member for Christmas, so I don't know what we will have. It sounds as though it will include fresh grilled salmon: that could work, as the grill is outdoors and the weather is forecast to be clear and sunny, though below freezing.

Meanwhile, plans for the rest of the holidays continue to change - as of yesterday it now sounds as though we will be hosting family on New Year's Day, so plan to do our usual turkey, cranberry relish, sweet potatoes, etc. Another family might bring ham, and we'll likely have materials on hand to make a pie (pecan, pumpkin, or combination) so if someone insists on having one, they can make it. (We're planning relatively simple meals, and to impress our guests to help out with anything else.)

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's just four of us (me, mum, dad, sister) so usually we have a smaller type of meat with the trimmings, and then a traditional Christmas dinner when we go to my grandma's on Boxing Day - but this year because of my sister working then, we're going there on the 28th.

This year we're having ham and cauliflower cheese at my sister's request, with stuffing, roast potatoes, veg etc. I am the only one in the house who likes Christmas pudding and Christmas cake, unfortunately (I personally like my Christmas cake with Wensleydale and often some grapes or apple on the side, as a cheese course rather than a dessert). I'm very envious of those Southern Hemisphere residents having seafood - I love it. A big platter of fruits de mer would be a perfect Christmas meal for me.

My family are not Christians so I will do Midnight Mass the night before. We tend to have breakfast at 9-ish, open presents, pick at chocolates/cookies etc and then have the main meal at around 2-ish. Then parents will be down the pub, me and my sister maybe joining them, and something like a party nibble platter in the evening to eat while watching the Strictly Christmas special.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(whistles nonchalantly)

(Drops care package on thread)

(scurries off, still whistling)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just. Ew.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a Cthuken! Lovecraft's answer to the Turducken!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How many are not going to Kelly's for Christmas dinner?
*waves arms* Me!!!

[Razz]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
How many are not going to Kelly's for Christmas dinner?
*waves arms* Me!!!

[Razz]

I'd go if it wasn't that it's made of bits of seabed.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think I'd mind so much if it didn't look as if it was about to run away ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, I just thought that was funny. Please return to visions of sugarplums.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, I just thought that was funny. Please return to visions of sugarplums.

I believe that tangents are within the purview of Heaven!

quote:
As someone once said: "In my father's house are many tangents" (John 14:2, The Hol-eBible, New Internetizen Version).
[Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, but this was kind of a gross, alarming tangent, so sorry. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's a Cthuken! Lovecraft's answer to the Turducken!

It is a bit turd-ucken' horrible. But hell, it's Christmas, if that's what you want for dinner go for it. Enjoy [Big Grin]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh well, if you don't mind the thread being taken over by Cthulhu jokes, I withdraw my apology. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had cannibalism before--this is but a squid in the ocean.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Oh well, if you don't mind the thread being taken over by Cthulhu jokes, I withdraw my apology. [Big Grin]

Ohnoyoudont. [Devil]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh no I don't? If you read up, you will see I attempted to redirect the tangent. I am now gonna sit and eat popcorn and watch jedijudy, Lyda Rose, and ( apparently) you milk it.

Oh, hi LC! You, too. [Big Grin]

[ 19. December 2014, 20:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Courtesy of Marks & Spencers (pick it all up ready to cook) my sister-in-law is treating us to turkey and all the trimmings on Christmas Day. The 'family' tradition, however, was always chicken - preferred to turkey. Not sure if sis-in-law is going for Christmas Pudding though. Maybe trifle?

Our works 'do' had the trad turkey meal as one option, including pudding with brandy butter - which was heavenly. And to date, I'm overdosing something rotten on mince pies.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Overdosing something rotten on mince tarts or pies - don't we all? [Axe murder]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am going to a Christmas do on Sunday night at which we will be eating a turducken. I've not had it before, it does seem somewhat gluttonous to me but I guess that's what Christmas is all about....or something.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too many mince pies at w*rk but v.v. poor. Last year I took Mrs Sioni's in and they disappeared in seconds, but at work they were nearly all bought mince pies with that awful 'brandy flavoured' cream that comes in a spray can.

(Mrs Sioni does some mince pies with orange-flavoured pastry and others with a macaroon topping. The mincemeat is 'enhanced'.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh no I don't? If you read up, you will see I attempted to redirect the tangent. I am now gonna sit and eat popcorn and watch jedijudy, Lyda Rose, and ( apparently) you milk it.

Oh, hi LC! You, too. [Big Grin]

I so miss Ken. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Alav ha-shalom*

*RIP

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Too many mince pies at w*rk but v.v. poor. Last year I took Mrs Sioni's in and they disappeared in seconds, but at work they were nearly all bought mince pies with that awful 'brandy flavoured' cream that comes in a spray can.

(Mrs Sioni does some mince pies with orange-flavoured pastry and others with a macaroon topping. The mincemeat is 'enhanced'.)

I really wish someone or other made proper English mince pies around here-- the American version has some gross spice combination that is,well, gross.

There are some folk in Oregon that have figured out to do a satisfying Eccles cake, though.

[ 20. December 2014, 03:10: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Link? I know someone who makes trips to London for Eccles cakes.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I will research-- Someone gave then to me, and I don't remember the name of the company.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a nice holiday in Seville at the end of October and as a consequence, are having tapas for Christmas dinner.

Followed by Christmas pudding, of course.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another Australian. The last few Christmases have involved having to take a number of church services on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so I have survived by having cold ham and seafood, a few salads I can prepare ahead of time and a choice of pavlova or hot (microwaved) plum pudding. Plenty of fresh fruit and the usual cream, custard etc. The first couple of times I felt guilty but have come to love the ease of it. There is always a buffet of sweet and savoury nibbles to fill the corners. I'm sticking with it unless someone else volunteers to do all the cooking.
Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I've had the Lidl lobster and there was little discernible flavour bar the garlic butter. I would try and track down that rare beast, the Reputable Fishmonger, and get a fresh one.

ETA. I do not mean to imply that the generality of fishmongers are disreputable, but rather that they are few and far between these days.

Son of a Reputable Fishmonger checking in. (Who did game as well.

Christmas breakfast has to be smoked salmon with scrambled eggs - plenty of black pepper on the eggs.

Turkey is game. It needs to be well hung (add your own punch line). Supermarkets please take note, if it hasn't been hung a week or two the flavour will not have had time to develop.

The turkey is for lunch time. The evening meal has ham, veal and ham pie (with an egg baked in the middle), and ham. The centre of the table is a whole salmon. There is salad to accompany.

We usually eat at lunch time, but this year we are eating later to fit in with our daughter's work shifts. (She's a nurse).

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wild Organist
Apprentice
# 12631

- Posted      Profile for Wild Organist   Email Wild Organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have been puzzling about what to prepare this year, since Dad can no longer swallow much that isn't soft and I decided to give Meals on Weals a break for The Day.
Had thought of pre-cooked and sliced supermarket chicken breast with new pots and broccoli (both well-cooked), but inspiration struck and I bought some Waitrose ready meals (Chicken Forestičre) and will microwave two of those and some sage-and-onion stuffing balls. Don't think pigs in blankets would work for him.
Read this ( https://www.facebook.com/ageuk?fref=photo ) about Betty Williams (post of 19th December) and was humbled.

[ 20. December 2014, 16:06: Message edited by: Wild Organist ]

--------------------
Be very careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Posts: 50 | From: West Sussex | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wild Organist
Apprentice
# 12631

- Posted      Profile for Wild Organist   Email Wild Organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Waitrose ready meals (Chicken Forestičre) to be found here: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=156399 [/QB]
And a life-saver [Smile]

[ 20. December 2014, 16:13: Message edited by: Wild Organist ]

--------------------
Be very careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Posts: 50 | From: West Sussex | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
...Christmas dinner...pot roast, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, and whatever veg strikes our fancy at the grocery store.

Nope. Changed our minds. It's going to be lasagna, meatballs and a huge antipasto salad!

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A dear friend of mine, from an Italian family, said that at least five generations back, Christmas dinner was ravioli, home-made, from scratch. The reasoning was that the puffy meat-filled pasta represented the baby Jesus, wrapped up in the swaddling cloths. As if justification was needed [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Om nom nom-- ravioli does sound like good Christmas food.

We are having a ham, and "scalloped potatoes" (read-- sliced boiled potatoes covered in Velveeta Cheese sauce, and a vegetarian lasagna (Stouffer's) for the vegetarians.

Maybe I will make ravioli as a side dish.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
sliced boiled potatoes covered in Velveeta Cheese sauce,

That's new -- both cheese and Velveeta in the same sauce.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Preaching to the choir, my friend.

Now, which post of mine is more gross, the first one or this one?

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

No contest. Cthuken looks like it's about to eat the Christmas diners, not the other way around!

Velveeta may have an identity crisis, but it's not likely to attack us.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Which to choose, which to choose...

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
sliced boiled potatoes covered in Velveeta Cheese sauce,

That's new -- both cheese and Velveeta in the same sauce.

John

I didn't know that stuff was still around. I haven't seen it down here for very many years. I think mum bought it once when I was a child, back in ancient history.

So was it just velveeta, or was it by chance mixed in with a can of mushroom or chicken soup? [Razz]

[ 22. December 2014, 22:42: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the first year in ages, we are not tied to my parents-in-law's rigid Christmas Day schedule and menu.

We've relocated to a much, much warmer city (29C yesterday) and, with my Mum, going out for Christmas lunch, where we will have choices. I suspect my choice will be crayfish (like lobster, only sweeter and very delicate), since I haven't had it in years. The restaurant offers a huge range of salad options, which will keep my partner happy.

We've been eating our way through our weight in berries and stone fruit already, but I believe a trifle might be in the offing for Boxing Day. The only thing we've cooked over the last few days have been new potatoes and asparagus.

So almost NOTHING traditional for the first time in 21 years. So happy.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pewgilist
Shipmate
# 3445

- Posted      Profile for Pewgilist   Author's homepage   Email Pewgilist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hesitate to chime in since we're doing something terribly normal. But then the exotic needs the normal to set it off, doesn't it? So ...

On what should be a mild and snowless sort of Southern Ontario Christmas Eve, my wife and I will walk downtown to the (Anglican) Cathedral for midnight mass and then come home to tourtiere (a spiced meat pie) and champagne - this being a nod to my family's many generations living in Quebec. The Quebecois traditionally do quite a spread following Midnight Mass.

On Christmas Day, we'll roast the turkey that is currently brining in salt water flavoured with - well, I don't really know what - and then take it up the street mid afternoon to join my parents and step-sister for turkey/sausage stuffing/mashed potatoes/assorted veg.

--------------------
--

Pewgilist
Hamilton, Ontario

Posts: 126 | From: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Absolutely nothing wrong with that dinner Pewgilist! (And long time, no see!)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yippee! First time for uncountable years that I don't have to cook Christmas dinner for the whole tribe. My daughter has invited us to her place with the instructions "don't bring a thing". However, I've since been given a list of what to bring which includes a cooked turkey, stuffing, gravy, our own drinks and raspberries from the garden. Not sure what is left for her to prepare! I'm still looking forward to dinner at her house though.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least she'll be the one with the clearing-up to do afterwards ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are having shoulder of lamb, cooked according to the recipe posted by l'organist a few weeks back in the Burnt Offerings thread.
Accompanied by a dauphinoise type potato and onion casserole, roasted mixed roots and brussels sprouts (I do like brussels sprouts and wish they were in season for longer.

The cost of the lamb was terrifying for just the two of us. I hope to be able to make lots of shepherds pie & curry with the leftovers!

For dessert I'm taking the easy route. A M&S mini Christmas pud, or/probably followed by Sainsbury's Tart au Citron.

The home-made Christmas cake & mince pies will be taken to a family feast on Boxing Day.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas Day here is now going to be cheese, cold cuts, party snacks (like samosas etc) etc. And lots of biscuits and chocolate, no doubt!

Christmas Eve will be cottage pie I think, and Boxing Day is I think going to be ham but I'm not sure (not in charge of cooking). Tonight we're going to the local for a special festive meal - I'm having butternut squash veloute with parsnip crisps; slow-roast belly pork with black pudding, pommes dauphinoise, kale, and sherry gravy; and lemon tart with berries and orange sorbet.

[ 23. December 2014, 14:13: Message edited by: Pomona ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pewgilist
Shipmate
# 3445

- Posted      Profile for Pewgilist   Author's homepage   Email Pewgilist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Absolutely nothing wrong with that dinner Pewgilist! (And long time, no see!)

Good eye, Uncle Pete - I'm on the boards for the first time in about four years.

As for the diswrongth of the the dinner, well, I certainly agree. It just seems ... normal.

Though I did find out the turkey is brining in salt water with soy sauce and bits of thyme, sage, and rosemary salvaged from the garden. In a brimming vegetable crisper in the fridge. None of which is quite normal, as far as I know normal. So ... there's that.

--------------------
--

Pewgilist
Hamilton, Ontario

Posts: 126 | From: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016