homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Furry Family Members (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Furry Family Members
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's not lymphoma, but knowing what it is could be weeks away - samples have been sent to the US for testing. Meanwhile, the boy is skinny and has great big shaved patches gradually growing back and a catheter sticking out of his back, so I can give him subcutaneous fluids at home. And he was so outraged at having to go to the vet on Friday that he sat out in the wet and cold on Saturday in a little huddle of misery, rather than come in and risk being bundled into the cat carrier again. If I didn't already love him to bits, I certainly would now. (He came in eventually - the fire being on was too strong a lure, I'm happy to say).
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor thing! [Votive] And also -- wow. I had no idea things got sent so far for testing.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know - extraordinary, isn't it? But this lab in Texas is apparently the world centre of excellence for feline renal disease (and who knew there even was one of those?), so that's where they've sent the stuff for testing.
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Rescuing this thread from the depths to say - he's getting better! The vet now thinks it was a "toxic insult" rather than disease, so fingers crossed, he might even be able to have the catheter out soon. Such a relief!
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok large dog small car situation.

I have been taking Gabi in the back seat of the car with a seatbelt harness. She sits hanging her head hating the car and if I need to break firmly she slides towards the back of the front seat and front paws slide into the footwell. Even padded out with cushions this is stressful.

Obviously this doesn't help her learn to like the car even though we are having short journeys to get long country walks. Being in a rural area with windy roads and single tracks where you may meet anything from a horse to a milk tanker around the next bend sudden firm breaking is a part of life.

The harness has too much movement and she is a large dog so her body weight momentum will be considerable.

Should I invest in a cage? Assuming one large enough would fit in my back seat, or would that just end up with the whole cage sliding with her inside? Can cages be belted in in some way?

Or if I remove the parcel shelf in my hatchback she can fit in the boot section, though with a tougher climb in. (just tried without going anywhere). But once the boot is shut the angle of the door seems to limit her space, although would mean no footwell to fall into.

She seems to move with the bends etc as if she has no skill of balancing her weight when not in control ie walking or running.

Anyone with experience of transporting a big dog in a small car? Please advice.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What breed is she? temperament matters a lot.

I have never used seatbelts for dogs, and I can imagine my guys would have hated them. Can she lie down in the backseat with that thing on? because if she is forced to sit upright/forelegs forward she's going to slide forward every time - it's a center of gravity thing. plus, they generally hate having their range of movement restricted.

I have one 100+ lb dog, and up until a few months ago had two of them. they were both excellent in the car and loved to go for rides. They'd hop right into the back seat (we could only transport one at a time with my current tiny sedan) and lie down. The trick with both of them was getting used to it and treating it like a "treat" - talk it up like walkies. "Wanna go for a ride? woohoo car time! let's go!"

when both were puppies we also hauled them EVERYWHERE so they'd adjust to the vehicle and get some "us" time while we were at it. a treat once they laid down always helped, too.

Would you consider ditching the seatbelt idea, or is it law, there? Dogs just aren't built to be belted into human seats. they need to lie down, get their center of gravity low, so they don't get tossed around.

the hatchback works - when I had a car with one, one dog went in the back seat and the other under the hatchback. they liked it back there, it's contained, has a view, and has an even floor. often it's big enough for them to get comfortable, also.

I wouldn't use a kennel, as it makes the balance issue worse - then she has even less control as the car turns and accelerates/decelerates.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The seatbelt is not in the human way but provides an anchor point to a body harness like this which limits drastic movement in eg a crash. She can choose to sit or lie and and to turn (just not 360) She might be better off lying down re momentum theory, but she always stays sitting, side on to direction of travel with head down as if being punished

She is a 6 yr old cross between a collie and a Samoyed and only with me since Easter and about 27 kgs.

The boot may be the best plan - I had just assumed that it would be too restrictive, but todays test shows it could be possible (just need to find a new place for the traditional boot junk)

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Oops, forgot to go back and add a link re car harness.

This is a good image part down page as shows the link to the seltbelt

Link!!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:

The boot may be the best plan - I had just assumed that it would be too restrictive, but todays test shows it could be possible (just need to find a new place for the traditional boot junk)

restricted space isn't always a bad thing for them, it can feel more secure.

I'd say find a new home for your boot stuff, and put a blankie back there - something that will make her feel comforted. either one she already uses at home or one that smells of you. hell, stick her dog bed back there if you can. then I'd load her up, cooing and using happy-dog-talk (see: high pitched and bubbly) the whole time. close the hatch, get in the car, no radio, chattering away to her the whole time, then drive maybe 20 feet. get out, open hatch, and POUR PRAISES and scrumptious treats on her. wait an hour, do it again, only maybe around the block. keep this up a few times a day or as you can until when you're heading for the car she's tap-dancing in front of the hatch waiting for a road trip and the resulting goodies and adoration. it will take time, but not too much. the trick is sticking to it until she's more comfortable.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Thanks

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreeing with Comet, the boot with hatchback should work. Many years ago when my sons were young, we had a German Shepherd, biggish, and one of the first hatchbacks, Renault 16 TS. SHe loved being in the back as it meant she was out with us, not left moping at home.

The only problem was that she was tall when she sat and the boy in the middle seat would complain that she drooled on him.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Reporting back -

The test journeys and positive affirmation about the hatchback boot went by the way due to a sickness bug that left me bonding with the toilet bowl instead.

So first attempt was the 2 stage (hour each) journey on sunday. The first she was sitting up and anxious as usual before finally lying down, the second leg she lay down almost straight away (as she did today on the direct route home).

In the back seat on her harness she was always sitting and nervous never settling to lie down.

However the drooling is still copious and obviously not happy. Hoping to improve this, and any ideas to settle her stomach if that is the issue would be appreciated.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Help] [brick wall] TICTH fleas!

We're struggling with little visitors. Serious battle has taken place in the flat - there are a few stragglers but I think that the majority have been nicely blitzed and we will continue with preemptive strikes in the hopes of stopping the remnant from multiplying again.

However -

I gave Millie (Our 1-year-old cat) a dose of Frontline last week but it doesn't seem to have helped. She is clearly very itchy indeed - and, of course, each bout of scratching sends more little visitors off into the carpet and furniture again. The pet shop recommended shammpooing her, but she's a very very nervous little thing, easily traumatised (we adopted her in February after a tough start in life) and we're shortly going away and leaving her in the care of a catsitter, so I am reluctant to subject her to a dunking. Anyone know whether we can use any other flea killer on her or do we have to wait the five weeks recommended on the Frontline packet? What products/approaches do you lot use to keep the uninvited at bay?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no expert Smudgie, but have vague memories of recommending treating the carpets/furnishings with flea spray, in addition to Frontline, when we sold it in the chemists shop.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
[Help] [brick wall] TICTH fleas!

We're struggling with little visitors. Serious battle has taken place in the flat - there are a few stragglers but I think that the majority have been nicely blitzed and we will continue with preemptive strikes in the hopes of stopping the remnant from multiplying again.

However -

I gave Millie (Our 1-year-old cat) a dose of Frontline last week but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Last year my cats spent several months with chronic fleas - nothing I did seemed to make a difference. Eventually the vet told me that fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline, and prescribed "Advocate". Problem solved within a week, without having to treat the rest of the house and no fleas seen since!

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew The Advocate was good but...

...or did you mean this one?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advantage II works better on my cats' fleas than Frontline, as does Revolution, which is what my vet recommended when I had an elderly cat.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I knew The Advocate was good but...

...or did you mean this one?

Whilst the first one has many positive attributes, I've had a good look over the site and have come to the conclusion that its flea fighting prowess is negligible at best, so i'm going to stick with my recommendation. For getting rid of Fleas, go for the Bayer version, for what seems (after a quick glace) to be a wry and witty commentary on LGBT life in North America, plump for the latter...

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always used Stronghold, from the vets. You can't buy it over the counter but my dogs have never had fleas.

I have 'tho! One of our children at school lives with five other children, a mother and eight dogs. The dogs sleep with the children and all are riddles with fleas.

I was bitten to pieces two weeks ago, along with all of our staff with siblings in their class. I had my dogs flead immediately and, fortunately, I didn't pass any on to them!

(The school has since been fumigated, but Social Services seem to be doing little about this neglected family [Frown] )

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dog has a little lump, shaped like a big nipple ( but not) and not obviously a fatty cyst.

Is there any point in taking her to the vet, when there is not discoloration, redness, soreness or discharge? I suspect they will say, that's a lump. Don't know what without biopsy, that'll be 40 quid for the consultation, thank you.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Taliesin - my Frodo has bumps and skin tabs and other odd things growing off of him fairly regularly. When Duke got his cancer I got all paranoid. the vet told me, "yeah, he's got a lumpy thing" and that it was no big deal. However, it IS hard to know.

Does your dog's lump sit under the skin or sort of on it - like a growth or like something going on internally? it sounds more like a skin tab sort. Frodo's are either little flappy things like skin tabs, or swollen grody outside things that look like ticks. (he has black skin) The vet told me to watch them, like you would a mole on yourself. if they're changing a lot and quickly, or are oddly shaped, or look red and angry, get the dog in. if they seep, get it checked. and even if benign, if they bother the dog a lot, go in because even if benign they could be painful or catching on things (ouch!)

Frodo's current tick-like jobby annoyed him for awhile and he licked it a lot, causing bleeding. but he chilled out and it just hangs there. looking kinda nasty, but it's harmless. the worst problem is my daughter's puppy keeps trying to bite it.

[ 28. July 2013, 22:25: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taliesin, I'd take him in. I know with people there's plenty of things a trained doctor can take a look at and say "nope, nothing serious", so I assume there are with dogs too. And at least you'd know it was OK.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, both of you. I will probably take her sometime this week. Did wrote more but machine the n ed it into gobberish [Frown]
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is he a youngster?

Lots of young dogs get dog acne!

[Paranoid]

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Gabi didn't want to open one eye this morning, worried that scratched or something when let loose to run around the woods last night.

Took her into vets this morning - it is an ulcer on cornea. Not too serious at moment but needs monitoring. We go back on Monday morning but in the meantime have to put in drops twice a day, and watch for any deteriation.

As a new Doggy mummy (4 months since adoption - but seems like she has always been here!) any advice for getting eye drops in on a 25kg dog with a sore eye that doesn't want to have anything near. I am home alone! [Confused]

It must be really sore as she didn't even bother to complain about me putting on the lampshade collar to stop her rubbing it.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anybody here tell me what it's like living with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? We're pondering whether to get a companion for Miffdog (a 10 year old Basset Fauve de Bretagne) and the King Charles is first on our list of possibles; we're thinking a rescue animal rather than a pup. Our and Miffdog's experiences with a friend's dog have been very positive so far.

He/she would also have to be able to co-exist with our cat.

What think ye - and yes - we have and are continuing to consider all the cons as well as the pros of which there are many!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
Can anybody here tell me what it's like living with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? We're pondering whether to get a companion for Miffdog (a 10 year old Basset Fauve de Bretagne) and the King Charles is first on our list of possibles; we're thinking a rescue animal rather than a pup. Our and Miffdog's experiences with a friend's dog have been very positive so far.

He/she would also have to be able to co-exist with our cat.

What think ye - and yes - we have and are continuing to consider all the cons as well as the pros of which there are many!

No takers? [Frown] OK, let's open it up. Forget the Cavalier King Charles; with the bunch of health problems they're prone to, I can just see we'd be heading for heartbreak.

Pros and cons to multiple dog ownership: I suspect you need to expend way more energy and time with two dogs than one. Do they amuse themselves more? Bond more with themselves and less with you? Partners in crime? Do yours ever fight? What over - food, territory, attention? Whats the best combo - two males, male/bitch? Ages? Our current canine BFDB is ten years old. Do we go for a pup with all that that entails - or an older, rescue animal?

And living with cats: Our dog is fine with resident moggies - even if he is a hunting breed. What (smallish/medium sized) dogs have you experienced living peaceably with Tibbles in the house? Are there some breeds that have less prey drive than others?

Lastly - is there anybody on board who can tell me what it's like sharing house and home with one of the following breeds:

Lhasa Apso
Shih Tzu
Bichon Frise
Toy and miniature poodles
Miniature Schnauzer
Dandy Dinmont Terrier

Ta!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly found two dogs easier than one - I had an ex-male and an ex-female and they were great friends and played happily together, slept together and kept me laughing for hours. I can't recall them ever fighting.

The female was a rescue [mostly sheltie] and the male was a collie/German shepherd cross who had been my nephews but needed rehoming. He turned into the best dog ever in the history of the universe. My ex's mum eventually took the female as it had been his dog.

I am a big rescue fan, and a mixed breed fan.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I strongly advise against getting two puppies. They will be very hard to train and so focussed on each other that they don't really bond with the humans.

I had two cavaliers but got them twelve months apart.

Both had heart problems all their lives, but that didn't stop them living happy, bouncy 15 years each [Smile]

Having a pup is far, far more tiring than having a baby - simply because they don't wear nappies! But the hard work is over in 4 weks and after that it's fun fun fun!

My Tatze is now 19 weeks old and learning so FAST. I am loving having a big, clever dog. The Cavaliers were gorgeous but thsi one is so great to train.

[Angel]

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

Thanks, both of you, you're confirming what I'd thought: we'd certainly not go for two puppies at the same time, one was bad enough, though I must confess to a certain degree of amnesia about those early days with Miffdog - rather like the way you forget childbirth until the next time...

Miffdog does seem to enjoy meeting other dogs. He gets on well at the dogsitter's and in kennels. How he'd be with another one invading his territory, I'm not sure. His breed is bred for it's easy-going temperament - behind the big bark there beats a heart of gold.

WW I agree with you about rescues. They're very very rare with Miffdog's breed; though there are many many (sadly) in Europe, where the breed is more widely known, that end up dumped in rescues, basically at the end of their breeding life or when no longer needed for hunting.

Boogie Taze looks gorgeous. You must be having great fun atm. [Smile]

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have never had a large dog before so decided to train Tatze really well, go to classes, read up all I could etc.

Tatze found a stinky dead rat today, ran up to me gleefully shaking it and jumping round like a lamb. She then happily swapped it for treats.

Phew!!!!!!

I was sooooo pleased! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Eek!]

Whenever she 'finds' a sock, shoes or undies this is what we have done. Thanked her very much, praised her and swapped it for treats.
I was a bit worried that we may be encouraging her to go searching for and pinching our things.

It is what our trainer advised as the retriever instinct is so strong in labradors. She was 100% right!

[Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

how brilliant. [Smile]

I have two dogs. Comet and others advised me on here when I said, shall I get another dog? and they all said, frankly, only if you must, and remember that two dogs is a pack of dogs, and a pack of dogs is 3 times the work of 1.

oh very yes.

They are also 3 times the fun, but you have to have 3 times the energy to deal with it.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:

I have two dogs. Comet and others advised me on here when I said, shall I get another dog? and they all said, frankly, only if you must, and remember that two dogs is a pack of dogs, and a pack of dogs is 3 times the work of 1.

oh very yes.

Very yes indeed!

My friend got a black lab a couple of weeks after me (we intend to look after each others' for holidays) they are utter nutters together - both are lovely, well behaved pooches at their homes, they go totally deaf when together! It's great to watch them play and interact 'tho.

My first stint at looking after Zaba is late September - eek!!

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

more specifically, I had a german shepherd x who was bored and miserable, (in my perception from a human perspective) but almost no work or hassle at all, so long as we kept her on a lead near other dogs/cats/small children/squirrels. And so we, in our wisdom, adopted an eighteen month old staffie x, and the two of them have a lot of fun. But they are hard work to walk on leads as they pull together, and have been known to tow me through hedges in the pursuit of a cat. On my tummy. shouting and swearing. ouch.

I do work on it. a halti, a harness, treats in the pocket, etc.

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
more specifically, I had a german shepherd x who was bored and miserable, (in my perception from a human perspective) but almost no work or hassle at all, so long as we kept her on a lead near other dogs/cats/small children/squirrels. And so we, in our wisdom, adopted an eighteen month old staffie x, and the two of them have a lot of fun. But they are hard work to walk on leads as they pull together, and have been known to tow me through hedges in the pursuit of a cat. On my tummy. shouting and swearing. ouch.

I do work on it. a halti, a harness, treats in the pocket, etc.

[Smile] Sounds familiar. Miffdog is a high energy breed and still hard work at nearly 11 years old! Funnily enough, the other breed we're considering seems to be a miniature version of him, with many of the same traits. We must be gluttons for punishment.

I think I'll need to show this thread to Mr Miff.

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Our grandma cat [feral] had yet another litter a few weeks ago and has started bringing a little one across at meal times - decidedly cute but very nervous.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just picked up a one year old Boxer-Rhodesian Ridgeback mix from the shelter a week ago, to help us through the loss of our recently departed Chow Chow- Shar Pei mix. Quite a contrast. She is nothing but muscle and energy, although she is pretty good on the leash and calm enough to take into dog friendly businesses, so long as she gets a total of about 2 hours of exercise a day. The one thing that she does much better than her predecessor is get along with other dogs- not surprising, given the last one's bloodline. We introduced her to a friend's Yorkie last night, and they quickly became best friends. Amazing how she can pull punches and be submissive if it will make playing with a dog a tenth of her weight possible.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Our grandma cat [feral] had yet another litter a few weeks ago and has started bringing a little one across at meal times - decidedly cute but very nervous.

Is Campbellite expected chez Wodders anytime soon? [Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's late winter here, but the weather is more spring-like. Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy is shedding fur as though it was an Olympic event, which means that despite my efforts at brushing her she has some matted fur. Sometimes I've resorted to cutting it out that's not ideal. The vet's nurse suggested a groomer, but the taxi fare there and back could wipe out the total budget deficit of a small nation, besides leaving me with very pissed off cat.

So how do others sort out the tangles? Is there a grooming sequence that works best? Any suggestions welcome thar don't involve a recipe from Campbellite.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried something like a Zoom Groom? My short haired cats love it, and I expect your fluffy one would, too.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked up Zoom Groom as I'd never heard of it.
This cat looks very happy with it,but if I'd tried it on my Lucy cat she would have fought back, especially if I'd used it on her tummy.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Bethcat died today [Frown] Not entirely unexpected, but still a shock to come home and find her - and not in the happy curled-up died-in-her-sleep attitude I'd been praying for. [Frown] [Frown]

Go and love your cats extremely much from me. I can see that there are great benefits to not being woken twice a night by a yowling monster walking on my face, but the house feels very odd without her.

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Theophania, and rest in peace Bethcat

and yes, i'm following your recommendation -- showing my chubby buddy much love -- she just turned 5 years old.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theophania:
My Bethcat died today [Frown] Not entirely unexpected, but still a shock to come home and find her - and not in the happy curled-up died-in-her-sleep attitude I'd been praying for. [Frown] [Frown]

Go and love your cats extremely much from me. I can see that there are great benefits to not being woken twice a night by a yowling monster walking on my face, but the house feels very odd without her.

So sorry to hear that ..... pray for you and your loss. Our old lady Macavity is closer to 19 than 18 now and very slow - the sad day will come one day and we'll miss her chirrup of welcome when we come in and purr/snore next to us on the bed.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear this, Theophania.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theophania:
Go and love your cats extremely much from me.

Will do. [Tear] So sorry for your loss.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Theophania, Millie is sitting here alongside me in her favourite position on the arm of my chair. We too lost a much loved cat earlier this year and Millie is not a replacement but, well, a delightful supplement [Smile] I am so sorry for your loss - after all that time it must be such a significant absence in the household. Funny how these fluffy four-legged creatures weedle their way into our hearts.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

So sorry, Theophania - distributing hugs and tickles very liberally this evening.
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all! Bethy was a jolly good cat and I'm glad to have known her.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for your loss Theophania. Two of my four furries are curled next to me now and I'm so glad they are.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016