homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mightbe Cyclist (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mightbe Cyclist
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever ridden one of one of these ? Tricycle's seem like they ought to be more stable, but they must be heavier, and I wonder what it does to steering and gears.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks great for shopping! But I think it would be hell in the traffic here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If possible, rent or borrow a bike first. Try it out. Everything depends on what you need it for and what you plan to do. If you need to carry things, if you need to go any distance, if it rains/is hilly/snows -- all these factors will affect your decision.

I never bike when it rains -- I live in a relatively dry climate. And so I have no fenders. A mist or drizzle is fine for commuting by bike, but if it comes to a serious downpour I take my car.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
burlingtontiger
Apprentice
# 18069

- Posted      Profile for burlingtontiger   Email burlingtontiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are the kind of person who likes gadgets and toys then just ignore my post. I started cycling again last year, just for a bit of fun and exercise. I hadn't been on a bike for well over ten years.

I got a second hand Apollo Corona mountain bike for £65. It's actually a woman's bike but it was the best one in the shop for the price and seems right for my height.

The woman in the shop says that it is heavy but I cycled for an hour, once a twice a day, quite happily, from last June until mid October. I managed to get out several times a week until Christmas and have just started up again this May.

I'd recommend a padded seat and, crucially, a helmet. I got my lights and helmet, sale price, for about £20 in total. I wouldn't wear the helmet when I first got it because I thought it looked daft. Common sense has now prevailed and I wouldn't be without it.

It has cost me about £30 in maintenance (three punctures) because I always had variable success in mending my own as a kid so don't bother now. I don't go off road now and so I avoid thorns.

So, my message is that it's a great hobby, doesn't need to be serious, and can be as inexpensive as you wish. Happy cycling.

--------------------
"If this goes on, my beloved 'earers, it will be my painful duty to rot this bargee"

Posts: 31 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, following excellent advice to consider second hand, find a *friendly* LBS, and test ride - I have done so !

I have got a 3 speed, mildly refurbished by a social enterprise, universal riviera sport that looks much like this . My plan is to pimp it gently over time. It is cheap, so if I decide to upgrade will not be too much loss. First thing I shall change is the saddle ...

(Gotta tweedy helmet with 30% off, am waiting on lights. Not planning to ride at night yet, and haven't decided what kind I want yet.)

[ 02. June 2014, 16:40: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another London Cyclist checking in. I have a pretty standard hybrid bike. Cycle daily to work - just under 6 miles of flat (excluding potholes!) road.

Saddles: consider a gel saddle cover. I found by bike seat to be unbearable when I first started riding (seriously, after the first week of daily commuting I could barely sit down). I used a gel cover. After a few months I got used to the saddle. I don't use the cover now.

Tyres: I'm a big fan of (properly inflated) puncture resist tyres. I cycle daily in London and they have seen me through all weathers.

Only 'cycle' clothing I would recommend is a very small light waterproof. Mine can virtually fit in a pocket and is very breathable.

Happy cycling!

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
My plan is to pimp it gently over time.

I don't think those words have ever been used together ever before.

Yeeeesssss…the Upgradeitus is overcoming you…soon you will understand…soon you won't think I'm weird…soon…soon…

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone ever ridden one of one of these ? Tricycle's seem like they ought to be more stable, but they must be heavier, and I wonder what it does to steering and gears.

Not one of those, but I do use one of these:
http://bakfiets.nl/eng/modellen/cargotrike/large/
as my main means of transport. It is very stable, and can deal with winds up to 70 or 80mph. They are expensive but they're very good quality and very well built.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
My plan is to pimp it gently over time.

I don't think those words have ever been used together ever before.

Yeeeesssss…the Upgradeitus is overcoming you…soon you will understand…soon you won't think I'm weird…soon…soon…

I have invested in a non rusty bell and some white handle bar grips to match the mudguards. Oh and a mirror you attach to your helmet. Online is bad for you. Saddle search continues ...

(I got helmet, lock, puncture kit, seat rain cover & tiny chrome bicycle pump together with the bike.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Not one of those, but I do use one of these:
http://bakfiets.nl/eng/modellen/cargotrike/large/
as my main means of transport. It is very stable, and can deal with winds up to 70 or 80mph. They are expensive but they're very good quality and very well built.

I ams sure reversing the triangle helps.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

BTW This helmet.

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would recommend buying a 'track pump,' a vertical pump with a foot and a T shaped handle. You can't really take it out with you, but it's so much nicer to use than the little pumps, which can get you home if you have a puncture, but are awkward to use - it's the kneeling or squatting that I hate.

And gloves. If you come off, even if it's a slow wobble and a stagger to the ground, it's often your hands that get the most damage.

And a cycle cap. Ditch the helmet and get a little cotton cap with a tiny little peak.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This applied liberally to the *ahem* nether regions works like a dream (coupled to a gel seat of course!) [Two face]

**sadly seems to be out of stock** [Frown]

[ 02. June 2014, 20:56: Message edited by: Yam-pk ]

Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[tangent]

At school we used to render Deo Gratias as, Do you grease, your arse ?

[/tangent]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have got a 3 speed, mildly refurbished by a social enterprise, universal riviera sport that looks much like this .

Does it get you from A to B? Then, at least for now, it's the right bike! You can work out far better what you do and don't want/like by actually riding it.

Incidentally, I second Hatless's(?) suggestion re a pump - by all means carry a small one for running repairs, but a stirrup pump-type one is so much easier to use, and you can pick one up for not much more than twenty quid. Keep your chain oiled and your tyres hard, and you've already covered 75% of routine maintenance.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
And a cycle cap. Ditch the helmet and get a little cotton cap with a tiny little peak.

*Looks at username. Looks at advice. Looks back at username*

In all honesty, cycling caps are wonderful. I always wear one under my helmet—yes, I have a selection, with each one going with a particular bike (one does not wear the Bianchi or Belkin Pro Cycling caps when riding the Schwinn, nor the vintage Trek or Rivendell caps on the ultrasleek road bike—though the WABA cap goes with everything, just out of sheer awesomeness), particular weather, and particular mood. They go ever so well with my argyle bike socks and pinstripe shorts.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You have infected me, I have just spent *three hours* online looking for cheap white pedals.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

I don't know if you can get these where you are, but they're grippy, lightweight, and nigh-well indestructible. Also, the looks people give you when you tell them you use Stolen™ Pedals is priceless.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You misunderstand both my cheapskateness and retroness - I got these - very gentle pimping [Big Grin]

[ 02. June 2014, 22:33: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Anyone ever tried repainting or touch up with hammerite ?

I am wondering about a don't-nick-me brush on dark green hammered finish. Or may be light blue.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adjusting gears on a 9 speed Shimano rear derailleur. So far 2 evenings of fiddling. I have a book "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance". He tells how to do it. Good book title, which I thought was merely a play on the 1960s book. It is not. He is a genius. I are an idiot. I do what he tells. I find adjusting for the low gears messes with the high gears. New respect for bicycle mechanics. Bike mechanics must be Zen masters to fiddle with endless such situations.

This is my bike, except mine is purple. Have a different seat and higher handlebars and a spring seat post and a rear basket.

Doublethink: just don't make the bike too beautiful. It attracts stealers. As for you, make yourself a beautiful as possible, and visible. It makes you safe and seen.

[ 04. June 2014, 02:26: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Leonard Zinn, framebuilder, author of VeloNews's Tech Talk, mechanical badass, and tall guy extraordinaire, is as good a guide as any, save an actual mechanic who can tell you exactly what's going on. Also, the Dew DL is a durn sweet commuter bike, IMNSHO.

Now, when you talk about "adjusting the gears," I assume you mean the limit screws? There are two things I'd recommend doing: first, adjust your cable tension using your barrel adjusters to increase it a bit. If you look on the underside of the bike, where the shifter cable comes out of the housing (right next to the spring on your downtube), you'll see a little black thingmibob that twists; tighten that. This will effectively make your shifter shift a bit harder each time you click the trigger. This should resolve some of the issues you have getting into low gears…if you have your limit screws set right.

To do that, shift into your lowest gear. You might want to be careful doing this right after tightening your cables, though; shift too suddenly, and you could throw your rear derailleur into your spokes (so spin your pedals slowly while you shift!). Once you're in position, adjust the limit screw visually so that your derailleur is directly underneath your largest cog. Then shift into your highest gear, and adjust the other limit screw so that the derailleur is perfectly aligned underneath your smallest cog. Then shift back to the largest cog, and, while the wheel is slowly spinning, push on the derailleur, as if you were trying to push it into the spokes. If you can do this, readjust. Then shift back to the smallest cog, but quickly; if you hear a roller coaster noise (or, more obviously, the chain comes off), readjust. Then back to the largest cog, this time quickly. Then back to the smallest one. Then back to the largest one, stopping at each gear to listen. Then the other way, doing the same thing. Then go for a ride, shifting through all the gears.

Anyone want to guess how many times I screwed that one up before I finally got it right? Here's a hint: adjusting the cable tension is very crucial, and, because my commuter bike is old and doesn't have barrel adjusters, I never thought to use them. For all the good things one can say about Zinn and his books (and there are a lot), there's more information in there about how to adjust a Di2 electronic shifting system, which most of us will never use for the foreseeable future, than there is about making a fussy Huret friction shifting derailleur work (if it ever did), much less the mountain bike shifters and groupsets you see on commuter bikes and hybrids.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice bike NP. It looks rugged, which I guess is what you need for the biking you do.

FWIW A couple of years ago I read a book called Bike written by a London bike commuter who claimed that bikes with baskets are much less likely to be stolen in London, which she attributed to baskets not being seen as cool. Personally I don't think bike thieves around here are so fussy so I always lock my bike. I have a basket that is easily removed on both my bikes and I usually take it in with me when I shop to avoid supermarket plastic bags.

I no engineering skills whatsoever and rely on the fact that all my cycling is within the metro bus area to get me home should something malfunction or puncture (all our buses have a bike carrying rack which I can reach as long as the driver "kneels" the bus). So far I have been ok.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a mountain bike for winter with studs. A neighbour gave me another one this week. I actually have 6 bikes in total. They are waiting in line to be ruined by winter riding. The commuter bike is the one for the snowless time, like these days.

Thanks Ariston for the advice. I did the limit screw thing last night. What is happening is that the bike goes nicely to largest cog and smallest, but 2 problems remain. First, when on largest cog, it takes 2 clicks to get to the next cog, then it will shift fine all the way to the third smallest. What it does then is jump to the smallest overtop of the second smallest. Thus: two clicks to get from 1st to 2nd gear. 1 click gets from 7th to 9th. If I hold the clicker I can make it stay in 8th. On the way to the office today (12 km), I followed Zinn's advice and left early, stopping about 6 times and this trip, loosening the barrel adjuster (clockwise, turning it in). This is what resulted in the holding the gear in 8th by manually holding the shifter clicker. I've decided that this is the worse problem. But maybe they are related. -- I would go to the bike shop, except they'd want it for a while or a day, and this is my transport! The 2 best shops are closer to my office. -- your post inspired me, I just called mid-typing, and am dropping by one after work.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jumping back a way, I have ridden a pashley picador tricycle(sadly borrowed and not my own)

Absolutely loved it for ease and carrying books and shopping. It is heavy though, so if you are on hilly ground it will wear you out.

The thing to be aware of is that, whilst they are really really stable on the flat in a straight line, it is relatively easy to tip them by taking a corner too fast. There was also that time, whilst stationary on a slight sideways incline, where I leant down sideways to hold the dog's collar so she would not jump up at a passing family in the park. I ended up upside down under the trike showing my knickers to said family. The dog was, of course, unharmed and bemused.

I would love to have one again though. For now I use the mountain bike I was given for Christmas as a teenager, as I appear not to have gotten taller after the age of 12

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Update: bike shop diagnosed that the rear derailleur was misaligned as it hangs down. Corrected it. And they didn't charge me anything. Generous geniuses.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Update: bike shop diagnosed that the rear derailleur was misaligned as it hangs down. Corrected it. And they didn't charge me anything. Generous geniuses.

Woo! Go them!

As for fun things on trikes: I have a friend of mine with a recumbent trike who views the "do not do this under any condition, it will void your warranty" information as a checklist for a great ride…especially if he can do all of them at once. There's a video of him somewhere on the Internet riding it under a long grandstand for the inauguration parade a while back where everybody else was stuck in rush hour traffic. When you're that low, You Can.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of days ago I saw a recumbent tandem.

I keep getting tempted by all the lovely step-through bikes I've seen on these links - I keep tripping over my bike when I try to step over the lowish cross-bar, which can be embarrassing. But this bike is OK (apart from having a bent/bumpy wheel that can easily be fixed) and so I am in a dither.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Nice bike NP. It looks rugged, which I guess is what you need for the biking you do.

FWIW A couple of years ago I read a book called Bike written by a London bike commuter who claimed that bikes with baskets are much less likely to be stolen in London, which she attributed to baskets not being seen as cool. Personally I don't think bike thieves around here are so fussy so I always lock my bike. I have a basket that is easily removed on both my bikes and I usually take it in with me when I shop to avoid supermarket plastic bags.

Stolen bicycles. Big problem! Hateful. I always use 2 U-locks rated at the 9/10 level they rate these things with, and lock both wheels to the frame and both then to a rack or object that cannot be moved. 2 locks is the minimum. I have a Bike Box at my office, which is great. Otherwise if the area I need to park in looks risky, I will add a third chain lock. Locks I think are merely slow down devices for determine stealers.

I have also asked restaurants and stores about where to park, which has led to bringing it inside. But we are a low overall bike use area, unlike many other places, which would make that impractical. At summer events, the local bike association operates a bike valet service which is free. Paid for by sponsors. My bike is not top f the line by any means, but cost close to $800 (~£440). I noticed similar bikes in the UK seemed to be priced higher when we were there in April-May.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Locking a bike is like being chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear, just whomever you're hiking with. So long as there's some poor schmuck on the same rack with a flexible cable and padlock (5 seconds with bolt cutters) next to your three-lock fandango (grinder wheel or cutting torch and the whole neighborhood noticing), you're good.

As a note to everybody else: lock your bike next to a nicer one. NP, sorry, but we're putting ours on the same staple or signpost as yours.

Bike valets, bike boxes, and transit-centered bike storage is/are slowly catching on around here. One of the metro stops nearby has an enclosed bike corral in the parking garage with staple racks inside; you need to scan an ID to enter and it's a little out of the way, so it's One More Thing to discourage bike thieves…and it's enclosed, out of the elements. I was just reading Elly Blue's Bikenomics, which discussed the impact having a secure bikeshed, a place out of the weather and the eyes of thieves, had in a low-income immigrant community, where people really couldn't afford to have yet another bike stolen. True, a suitably determined thief can get through any security measure, but most thieves are only so determined, so long as there are easier targets somewhere else.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use a RoyalGel saddle - can't find the make on line - I don't think it's Selle. I got it from my very knowledgeable local bike shop and it's certainly a lot more comfortable than the allegedly ladies saddle I had before which made my ladybits go numb quite rapidly.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

am currently ebaying for a second hand leather one (risky I know but I can always resell if I hate it) 1hr 17 min to go !I

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am fortunate in that I have a garage at my house, to keep my bike in, and when I bicycle to work I can roll my bike right in by my desk and use it for a towel horse. As a result I do not usually carry a lock at all.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bike locks are why all bikes weigh 20Kg. However much your bike is itself lighter than this is the weight of the lock you'll need to carry around to secure it.

I leave mine on the Sheffield stand at work. That's the only time I need to lock up the "good" road bike. The knackered pub bike could be adequately secured with a piece of used dental floss.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariston:
quote:
So long as there's some poor schmuck on the same rack with a flexible cable and padlock (5 seconds with bolt cutters)...
Hah! Yes, I know this from personal experience... I was that poor schmuck, who realised just as she locked her bike to the railings outside the library that the key to the lock had been left 200 miles away at her boyfriend's house.

I went to the police station and asked for advice. They managed to keep their faces straight and sent a constable armed with a set of bolt-cutters to release my bike from bondage (on the grounds that a genuine bike thief wouldn't have the cheek to ask the police for help, I suppose). I don't think it took him 5 seconds; more like 2.

The next bike lock I bought was much stronger.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Outside the library was the best place to get your bike nicked here. I had one taken, but it was back the next day [Smile] In the plans for the new library (2017) there is to bemore secure storage.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The weather being exceptionally nice in these parts this week, I biked to work three days, for a total of 45 miles.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Waiting for my highly dodgy paint job to dry, done upside down with masking tape and Hammerite - finish is looking better than I expected. I didn't disassemble the bike - so masking taped the world.

Not sure what to do about rust on the chrome though ? I have some autosol won't remove - anyone got experience with that ?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Not sure what to do about rust on the chrome though ? I have some autosol won't remove - anyone got experience with that ?

How badly rusted? if it is just on the surface, gently using a plastic kitchen pot scrubber can remove most. For small areas, an old toothbrush. You can use a non-scratching kitchen or tub cleaner. It is usually white and liquidy. Try it on a small area first, you don't want micro-scratches. Toothpaste can also work for small areas. Both the tub cleaner and toothpaste contain very fine grit it seems. Though it varies from brand to brand. I've also used toothpaste to remove scratches from wrist watch crystals and countertops.

If it is really rusty, a wire brush may be needed, but you have to be really careful.

If you want to ignore the chrome after cleaning, you can simply paint with a rust paint primer and use the paint you have used for the rest of it. I have found the chrome paints a little disappointing. They are not really chrome-shiny. More tin foil like. Which may mean painting all of the chrome to get it to match. But then, it is a bike and too pretty means attractive to thieves.

I used to have a 1964 VW Beetle (just sold about 3 years ago actually, had it since 1978), and I went through its chrome thoroughly several times. Lots of experiments. -- Car wax on chrome is helpful after you have painted it. Wax on any rusty spots. When I say wax, I mean the paste or liquid wax for cars. A little goes a long way.. "Armor All" is a brandname, it comes in small bottles, I prefer the liquid to the spray for my bikes.

[ 07. June 2014, 16:27: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Some bits of chrome have flaked off - so I am thinking maybe chrome coloured enamel when I have polished what I can polish.

Just don't want rust entry points as it were.

I did wonder about hamerite silver, but I think that would be even less of a match.

On the plus side have now swapped my pedals and slowly wedging on my new grips (so shortly will have all white trim [Biased]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Putting grips on can be a real chore. It seems mostly a time consuming, hand hurting undertaking. I decided to reroute brake cables recently and had to take grips off (easier), and put back on. Probably there is a bike guru method for doing this....

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have one on, now girding my loins for the next. I went with combo of, tiny bit of oil, wedging a tent peg down the side, and pumping a bit of air thru the pin hole at the butt end of the grip + brute force.

[ 07. June 2014, 21:01: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

My hands may never recover, but the grips are done !

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I went with combo of, tiny bit of oil, wedging a tent peg down the side, and pumping a bit of air thru the pin hole at the butt end of the grip + brute force.

A bottle of rhum agricole and a stuffed elk and that could be a fun evening.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
My hands may never recover, but the grips are done !

It's one of those things you can celebrate and brag about only with those in the "know" I think. What kind of grips did you get? I have some shaped like these. the broader area for hands eases the pressure for me.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Basic white cruiser type ones with slight give in.

Basically have swapped out black grips for white, black pedals for white & waiting on a white saddle. This, so my trim matches my white mudguards. Body now painted in dark hammered blue hammerite.

Tis very mild pimpage, and got some of these lights [Smile]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Putting grips on can be a real chore. It seems mostly a time consuming, hand hurting undertaking. I decided to reroute brake cables recently and had to take grips off (easier), and put back on. Probably there is a bike guru method for doing this....

Firenze has the right idea, on so many levels…but mostly because of the rhum. The Bike Guru method I've seen used is a blast of air from the shop compressor to remove (launches the grip, that one does), but amply applied rubbing alcohol used as a lubricant when you're trying to pull it back on—unlike oil, the alcohol will evaporate, leaving nothing slippery between your grips and the bars. Sometimes, depending on the grip (I did this with my brake hoods, for instance), you can turn the thing inside out and roll it back onto your handlebar to some extent, then use the alcohol trick to slide it on at the end..

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I'm liking the alcohol idea. Step 1: poor a generous quantity into the grip installer.

Are there videos of grip launches? Visions also of cannons mounted on handlebars.

Doublethink: "pimpage". I like it! [Smile]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Do any of you bother with indicator light sets - are they worth it ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
A couple of days ago I saw a recumbent tandem.

I keep getting tempted by all the lovely step-through bikes I've seen on these links - I keep tripping over my bike when I try to step over the lowish cross-bar, which can be embarrassing. But this bike is OK (apart from having a bent/bumpy wheel that can easily be fixed) and so I am in a dither.

I don't understand why a low step through isn't the standard, with a high bar being an exception for high end race bikes. I also don't understand why it is always described as a ladies bike when it has a step thru - surely unco-ordinated men have a fair chance of doing something terrible their dangly bits if they misjudge throwing their leg over the high bar ?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016