homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome Aboard 2014 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome Aboard 2014
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On behalf of the All Saints' hosts and the rest of the Ship, we welcome you aboard! This is the place to make your presence known, so that we may offer our greetings and advice to all our new members.

We ask that you make yourself familiar with our version of the "10 Commandments", which are the basic guidelines that you agreed to follow when you registered. You may also want to check the FAQ's for more useful information.

Remember, each area of the Ship has its own rules and regulations, which you will find hyperlinked at the top of each board. They range from Heaven to Hell (literally!), and you'll want to familiarize yourself with them, especially here at the beginning of your "tour of duty".

Once again, welcome to the Ship. We wish you smooth sailing!

Campbellite, Firenze, piglet and Welease Woderwick
All Saints Hosts

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi there, I'm new. I am 51-year-old woman, divorced twice (never could get that right), have three sons (one in heaven), 3 granddaughters, live in a small apartment and work as a social worker. I was ordained in the Methodist Church but totally lost my faith after my son died. It was very embarrassing and depressing to say my faith failed when I needed it the most. I loved my two churches (been there almost 5 years) and stepped down. It was my disgruntled artist atheist phase.

I ended up Catholic (loooooooong story--best to wait for the movie) but it was a very poor choice for this strong-minded, liberal feminazi who likes to think for herself. I beat up on myself regularly and to no avail. I started suffering crippling panic attacks and would run out of mass feeling panic and deep self-hatred. I had a priest scream at me, people stopped talking to me, but their punishments did nothing to MAKE me believe what they say is true. I cannot agree with them on quite a few things so ....time to move on. They even said I should just SAY I believed even if I didn't Sorry I can't drink the kool aid and the Guyana weather doesn't agree with me. I have nothing against Catholics at all. I just can't agree with them.

Since I only have mentally ill adults in my life everyday as part of my job, I would like to have a faith community where I can worship and be accepted as ME, but I am too liberal for most. I wrote my blog on how I feel like I'm on the island of misfit Catholics and I don't have a home. That reminded me of the Rudolph movie where the Charlie-in-the-box talked about how everyone loves a Jack but not a Charlie and that really hit me.

So, here I am....and I hope to get to know you and hope to have a place where I can let my hair down and just be me.

Lorrie [Yipee]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box
http://rosarygirl1962.blogspot.com/

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Lorrie, or C-i-t-b. You say you have a blog, remember not to mention it in the main part of any post, but several of us link to them in sig.

You may be interested in the Doubting thread.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Charlie-in-the-box.

I'm an ex-Christian feminist pagan atheist - and they made me Crew. So your chances of fitting in are quite good I'd say.

Enjoy the voyage.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the Ship Charlie-in-the-box, enjoy the voyage!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahoy! Charlie in the box. The motley crew is worldwide but welcoming (writing as an atheistic humanist) albeit slightly British in flavour (tea, Doctor Who, obscure Celtic saints).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can get into tea worship. I probably have 30 varieties in my cupboard. That works for me. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the welcome. I went to hell already to complain about the weather.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, Charlie-in-the-box, and welcome aboard! [Smile]

Piglet, another AS host.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

Love the name Piglet.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Silver Swan
Apprentice
# 17957

- Posted      Profile for Silver Swan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings, Folks! My name is Silver Swan and I'd like to join you. I've lurked about for many years and maybe won't have much to say, but decided to swim aboard. [Smile]
I've been a Christian for sixteen years, after spending the first twenty five years of my adult life looking for Truth in all the wrong places. Barely do I grasp by the fingertips that God in Christ has really forgiven me every stupid, selfish, greedy thing I ever did, but I know for certain that I have been changed from a grub into a butterfly, and although it often seems I'm taking a long time for my wings to dry properly so that I may really take off into full flight instead of being fearful or distracted, yet I do have my soaring moments, thanks be to our merciful loving Father!
I live on what began as a hippy commune when I joined in 1973 and is now a co-operative community of over 200 persons, situated beside a sub-tropical rainforest and waterfall -I'm no longer the utopian idealist I once was but continue to uphold the common ownership of land as being a good model.
Looking forward to healthy discussion, worship and fellowship,
Regards and peace, Silver Swan.

--------------------
Christ Jesus came to be Immanuel, not a manual.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

Welcome Silver Swan,

It's nice to meet you--look forward to chatting on the boards. [Smile]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, welcome aboard, SS. [Smile]

If you've been lurking for a while you've probably got a fair idea of how the different boards work, but a squint at the FAQs and 10 Commandments (see the links at the top of the page) should answer any questions.

Happy sailing!

Piglet, AS host

PS Thanks, Charlie - guess who my favourite Winnie-the-Pooh character is? [Smile]

[ 08. January 2014, 01:02: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey hey Silver Swan, nice to meet you here [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome from me, too, Silver Swan - I love your siggy line!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, I used to hang around a lot, not saying much of any use but hey. I tootled off for a while (nothing personal, no big huff or anything, RL just took over) but have found myself lurking again. Nice, and reassuring, to see so many familiar names still here.

So, what's been happening?!

[Smile]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Silver Swan
Apprentice
# 17957

- Posted      Profile for Silver Swan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the friendly welcomes.
I'm glad you like the sig line. It's my best ever thought.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
Christ Jesus came to be Immanuel, not a manual.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome back, Chocoholic (now there's a cool name!) [Cool]

--------------------

Sacristan&Verger
Apprentice
# 17968

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan&Verger   Email Sacristan&Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all, after many years of watching from the wings I have finally joined you - the reason being I'm part way through the discernment process and have found the Vocations thread so very helpful and encouraging.
I'm on the far side of 50, Anglo-Catholic, self-employed and busy within my church. I hope to find answers to many of my questions here - or at least gather a variety of opinion!

--------------------
Did I do something wrong today or has the world always been like this and I've been to wrapped up in myself to notice?

Posts: 8 | From: Beside the sea | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Sacristan&Verger. Glad you felt moved to join in.

If you've been lurking, I daresay you have the hang of the various Boards. I hope you find things of interest on all of them. I'm assured that even Hell is useful in formation for the priesthood.

Firenze
AS Host

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome from over here too, S&V. [Smile]

Piglet, another AS host

--------------------

Majorminor
Apprentice
# 17967

- Posted      Profile for Majorminor   Author's homepage   Email Majorminor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, Motley Crew.
Thank you for having me.
How to introduce myself? As if get older, I'm less certain (dogmatic?) about stuff that I used to get hot under the collar about. I'm a Salvation Army Major, but have ambivalent views about the Army: some things we do well; others drive me demented!!
Looking forward to being stimulated, amused (some threads on Hell made me chuckle-thank you) annoyed, taught, and blessed.

Posts: 31 | From: East Staffs | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome Majorminor.
quote:
Originally posted by Majorminor:
Looking forward to being stimulated, amused (some threads on Hell made me chuckle-thank you) annoyed, taught, and blessed.

I'm sure we can do all of those, particularly the annoying.

I should perhaps add a health warning that Hell, while it can look like fun, serves a serious purpose in containing flame wars and personal disputes.

Elsewhere, all is peace and love. Ish.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sacristan&Verger:

I'm on the far side of 50, Anglo-Catholic, self-employed and busy within my church. I hope to find answers to many of my questions here - or at least gather a variety of opinion!

I am light years beyond 50 and RC - my wife is Anglican - DOB 2 January 2054 and this is my favourite website. Welcome all!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Er - hello. Have nervously joined after years of admiring, wondering, and giggling.
A long history of areas of doubt and uncertainty and Douglas Adams. Currently just about hanging on the outskirts of the Church of England and TSSF, while acknowledging that I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for some patient listeners. Have difficulty in believing, but have found the Ship a wonderful place to counter the negatives.
And the name? Was a medieval historian. Not as violent as the historical Fredegund in real life. Also have 2 sons, to be known as Lothar I and II, and 4 cats.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Fredegund! There's nothing to be nervous about - most Shippies don't bite (at least not unless you ask nicely). Happy sailing!

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome [Smile]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Fredegund and welcome!

If you've been around a little while you are probably familiar enough with the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs but if not they are linked at the top of every page and are worth a look.

Join in when you can and remember to have fun.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Lilac
Shipmate
# 17979

- Posted      Profile for Lilac   Email Lilac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi folks. I seem to spend alot of time in hotels and I keep thinking there must be more to life. Jesus had some interesting ideas. So did some other people. I'm always on the lookout for useful suggestions.

--------------------
Seeking...

Posts: 62 | From: Birmingham / Coventry Area, UK | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, Fredegund

Douglas Adams - tick, four cats double tick.

Obviously a quality Apprentice [Biased]

And good listeners are worth their weight in gold in my experience. Welcome.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Lilac and welcome aboard our little schooner of joy. It is good to have you aboard.

Read the 10 Cs* and guidelines and join in - Have Fun!

WW
All Saints Host

*The Ten Commandments and FAQs are linked at the top of every page.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Welcome aboard Lilac!
Mr Beamish
Apprentice
# 17991

- Posted      Profile for Mr Beamish   Email Mr Beamish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahoy, shipmates. I've been lurking for a while now and have decided to take the plunge (or not, getting out of the sea and onto a boat). I am a grumpy young man in the CofE (probably the son of, rather than husband of, Mrs Beamish) and with all the theology I find myself reading nowadays I thought it would be nice to find other people concerned with all that is both sublime and ridiculous in the Church and outside of it as well.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome Mr Beamish.

I'm pretty sure we do ridiculous.

If you've been lurking, you probably have the different Boards sorted - but there are Useful Descriptions on each homepage, plus links to our few but simple rules (the 10 Cs) in the header.

Happy sailing.

Firenze
AS Host

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome indeed, Mr. Beamish - I'm sure you'll find a soul-mate or two around here, probably including me.

[Smile]

Prayer-book piglet

--------------------

Mr Beamish
Apprentice
# 17991

- Posted      Profile for Mr Beamish   Email Mr Beamish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Welcome indeed, Mr. Beamish - I'm sure you'll find a soul-mate or two around here, probably including me.

[Smile]

Prayer-book piglet

I'm always encouraged to see fellow austere, BCP-toting bags of misery, especially when they have such an adorable name and a pithy comment about singers as a signature. [Biased]
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Mr Beamish. Plenty of grumpy young C of E theologians on board to keep you company. [Big Grin]

[ 01. February 2014, 07:00: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm not really an "austere bag of misery" am I?

[Paranoid] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mr Beamish
Apprentice
# 17991

Isn't being an austere bag of misery a prerequisite of prayer-book fandom?

Oh no... I've done it all wrong! [Ultra confused]

[Biased]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I'm not really an "austere bag of misery" am I?

Of course not. You're not the least bit austere.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Beamish:
Ahoy, shipmates. I've been lurking for a while now and have decided to take the plunge (or not, getting out of the sea and onto a boat). I am a grumpy young man in the CofE (probably the son of, rather than husband of, Mrs Beamish) and with all the theology I find myself reading nowadays I thought it would be nice to find other people concerned with all that is both sublime and ridiculous in the Church and outside of it as well.

While I can see Mrs Beamish as a wife I find it hard to envisage her as a mother. Welcome aboard, we're a varied bunch, some of us from time to time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
samc
Apprentice
# 18009

- Posted      Profile for samc   Author's homepage   Email samc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello! I am new.

I'm the digital/new media guy for Bristol diocese hoho no really. I realise that un-anonymises me which is like forum rookie error #1, but you know let's be brave eh what.

I'm trying to cut down a little on social media, but remembered I intended to sign up to this place about 5 years ago. In fact I probably did and then flitted about and didn't bookmark it. I have a mind like a labrador with an amphetamine addiction. [Yipee]

--------------------
Would do anything for love, but not that.

Posts: 3 | From: Brizle | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi samc and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

Reading the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs [linked at the top of every page] is a good start to your stay here - it is also worth checking out the different purposes of the different individual boards. But the main thing is to join in and have fun.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by samc:

I have a mind like a labrador with an amphetamine addiction. [Yipee]

Now that is a wonderful phrase. I hope it's not in copyright because I can find a good use for it. [Smile]

Welcome aboard.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seconded on the awesomeness of that descriptor. [Big Grin]

And the diocese website is impressive!

[ 15. February 2014, 22:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Welcome samc.

Let me tell you labradors are very clever!

Enjoy the voyage [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I loved that description too - know exactly what you mean from the inside too.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still alive.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where have you been!? Welcome back, good to see you here again.
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes reading threads and so not far. I have been very busy over the last few years with new more demanding roles and also dodging the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. I also have a busier household. In the last year discovered twitter and engaged with some shipmates on it.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016