homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome Aboard 2014 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome Aboard 2014
Willow warbler
Apprentice
# 18035

- Posted      Profile for Willow warbler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Newbie member Willow warbler saying hello.

First came across Ship of Fools in mid 1990s then again a few months ago.

Found lots of interesting discussion on the boards and wanted to join in so signed up. Hope to have lots of fun, interesting and challenging conversations with everyone.

Ww

Posts: 3 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, Willow warbler, and welcome to the Ship. [Smile]
Check out the Weel done cutty sark thread to find your fellow Scots ... always room for more!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll add a welcome from an expat Scot. If you've been around the Ship before, you probably have a fair idea of how things work; if you have any questions, check out the FAQ and 10 Commandment pages (links at the top of this page).

Happy sailing!

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha! Another Ww! I think we should have lots of fun confusing everybody! On the Safe from Kidnapping thread be prepared to be confused in your turn with folks talking about WW and meaning WeightWatchers!

Ah well, most of life is confusing so we may as well add to it.

Welcome board and here is wishing you lots of fun.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Willow warbler - I like your name!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend of mine, told me I should come here and sign up -- she's around here someplace (Pooks? you there?).

I am a novelist, and write mainly science fiction and fantasy. I am also a member of an Anglican church and am in fact on the Altar Guild.

(Edited to remove RL name)

[ 20. March 2014, 18:14: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Brenda Clough.

If you don't mind, I've edited your post to remove Pook's RL name. While some Shippies use their RL names, or link to their blogs or otherwise are quite happy to be identified, some don't. So we follow the convention of not 'outing' anyone.

There are certainly plenty of other Anglicans aboard: a number of writers, and at least one well-kent science fiction author.

Stroll the decks, and any questions, a Host will be happy to help.

Firenze
AS Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Verily, I am that science fiction writer. Hey, Brenda!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jurassicpaul
Apprentice
# 18066

- Posted      Profile for jurassicpaul   Email jurassicpaul   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, I'm new here. Part of a pub church group in Wales and originally from an evangelical background. Now largely confused and disillusioned. Dave Tomlinson's Post Evangelical book certainly rings true to me. That's a brief introduction anyway...

--------------------
A confused post-evangelical

Posts: 4 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, jurassicpaul.

Confused is fine - certainty's not all it's cracked up to be IMO.

Meanwhile, The Ship offers a range of diversions, severally described in the Board headings/FAQs.

Enjoy.

Firenze
AS Host

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jurassicpaul:
Hi, I'm new here. Part of a pub church group in Wales and originally from an evangelical background. Now largely confused and disillusioned. Dave Tomlinson's Post Evangelical book certainly rings true to me. That's a brief introduction anyway...

Welcome jurassicpaul.

The ship is a great place to talk about faith from whatever background you come. I hope it helps you wade through some of that confusion and disillusionment. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome jurassicpaul - enjoy the voyage!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome aboard, Jurassicpaul. [Smile]

There's absolutely no shame in being confused - it's the default position for lots of people, and we've even got an icon for it ...

[Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi jurasicpaul

Welcome aboard, you'll be in good company here!
I think I'm less sure now about all sorts of things than I used to be but I feel strangely better for it.

Enjoy yourself.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
...I think I'm less sure now about all sorts of things than I used to be but I feel strangely better for it...

Oh yes indeed!

Welcome jurassicpaul, enjoy the cruise.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Benedicite to all Shipmates. I am new so still getting a hold of the rigging. Can only describe myself as traditional Anglo-Catholic Religious as the name suggests. Looking forward to future journeys with all you saints.
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome aboard, RevMotherRaphael!

Please take a minute to look at the FAQ and Ten Commandments links at the top of the page: they'll tell you what's what (and what isn't).

Hope you have a long and happy voyage! [Smile]

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RevMotherRaphael:
Benedicite to all Shipmates. I am new so still getting a hold of the rigging. Can only describe myself as traditional Anglo-Catholic Religious as the name suggests. Looking forward to future journeys with all you saints.

Welcome - Be forewarned that not all of us are saints, especially in Hell [Two face]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it's been a while. Twelve years since I joined, and looking at my 'recent posts' very little activity since my son was diagnosed with autism (and only a couple of hundred before then.) But then I was a regular on a couple of less pugnacious competitors to this board, and a moderator on one of them, so it's no surprise that I didn't post much here.

Those other boards got lost in the desert and perished...

I've been mates with Busyknitter for about a decade (so sorry to hear Ken's news) and recognise a couple of other names; if anyone remembers me they'll be relieved to hear that 12 years of 24/7 caring has ruined/improved me (depending on your perspective.)

I've already dipped my toe back into a couple of places...

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome (back).

As you may see from the Glory board, we've lost a few good 'uns. But we keep sailing.

Firenze
AS Host

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Welcome - Be forewarned that not all of us are saints, especially in Hell [Two face]

Huia

I didn't say I was a saint... [Biased]
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome W. warbler and Jurassic Paul. Play safe and Have fun!

Welcome also to RevMotherRaphael! You are the nun that runs our Cathedral School down the street, are you?

Thought not - she is Irish Roman Catholic! Good to talk to you - enjoy your time on the Ship!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
burlingtontiger
Apprentice
# 18069

- Posted      Profile for burlingtontiger   Email burlingtontiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How-do.

I've only recently joined so I thought that I had better say hello. I've enjoyed reading the various boards on here for several weeks now.

I am a 43 year old man and I've been drawn to Christianity for several years now after being merrily - but not cruelly - cynical about life in general all my adult years.

This year is my third attempt at re-joining a friendly, local Evangelical church. Although I am not a believer, or at least not yet, somehow this time it feels right and maybe something will come out of it. Although I suspect that I will never overcome doubts about biblical inerrancy (particularly about the Pentateuch) I am happy with the church that I have found. I'm particularly impressed by the scholarliness of a couple of the church leaders.

I collect antiques, 18th & 19th C. English novels, vintage children's books. I like auction sales and car-boot fairs. I am an aspiring, but unfocused, writer. I follow Hull City AFC and my local town football team.

So, I guess that is about all for now. Thanks for having me.

[ 24. May 2014, 13:19: Message edited by: burlingtontiger ]

--------------------
"If this goes on, my beloved 'earers, it will be my painful duty to rot this bargee"

Posts: 31 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome aboard!

Choccie

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome, burlingtontiger.

I'd say, from your interests, you'll fit right in.

If you've already had a look at the different boards, that's a good start. Anything the descriptions/FAQs don't explain, feel free to ask.

Firenze
AS Host

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hey hey burlingtontiger - nice choice of name [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome burlingtontiger!

If you spend some time on the more serious discussion boards, you will soon find that quite a few shipmates have no problems at all with Biblical inerrancy (especially of the Pentateuch) - we just do not find it relevant to our faith.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Waw consecutivum
Apprentice
# 18120

- Posted      Profile for Waw consecutivum   Email Waw consecutivum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New here (obviously).

Catholic (not "cradle")

Lurked a few times.

Um...

Er...

That's about it (more info on page 94)

Your normal service will now resume.

--------------------
James

Posts: 17 | From: North-Western Middle Earth | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome aboard, Waw consecutivum - you'll find most of what you need to know on the 10 Commandments and FAQ links at the top of the page; if you have any other questions, just ask.

Hope you have a long and happy voyage with us. [Smile]

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Unsmoothed
Apprentice
# 18123

- Posted      Profile for Unsmoothed   Author's homepage   Email Unsmoothed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, from Annie in the US - Florida - Daytona Beach. I am a lifelong (fifth generation or more, even) United Methodist who argues incessantly about the errancy of the Bible, cherry-picking, intolerance (I don't tolerate it), history, physics,and politics. Oh, and social issues.
I'm all over social media, and knowledgeable about the web and websites. I'm usually the person everyone goes to when they want something researched or clarified.
I am very pleased to have run across this site. I think this is my new best favorite thing.
I love y'all! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Sometimes difficult, but always bubbly. A dichotomy? Hurray!
linkavengers.com
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ /annielayer

Posts: 1 | From: Daytona Beach, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Annie, the Unsmoothed one, and welcome - I quite like compound verby things.

Have a read through the 10 Commandments [our version] and the FAQs and if you've got any questions just ask.

Most importantly join in and have fun.

Welease Woderwick - All Saints Host

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hey hey Unsmoothed Annie, welcome aboard!

I'm a Methodist too [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Unsmoothed!
Welcome from a fellow Florida Methodist.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Doubting Tom Redux posted the following:

quote:
Ahoy Mateys!

I am a brand-newbie aboard and rather than just be a ghostly presence like some Ancient Mariner (or a stowaway) I thought I’d send this SOS and hope for a welcome!

When I was 40 I went to the eye doctor for an exam and was told I had Presbyopia, but I quickly disqualified that assessment and told the doc I was non-denominational. And I am, though I’ve been connected to the Brethren, Calvary Chapel, and Vineyard Christian fellowships. (Ships? No pun intended.) I’m a Yankee, a former colonist (I see you’re mostly Brits), and please don’t hold that against me.

Mine has been a long (41 year) roller-coaster ride as a believer in Christ. Rather similar in respects to the checker-board history of Israel it’s been. The joy of release from pyramid building in a metaphorical Egypt was all too soon followed by a longish crossing of wilderness, and even after tasting milk and honey I lapsed repeatedly into apostasy, idolatry, spiritual (and actual) adultery…I broke the Big 10, all of ‘em, even worse after my conversion than before. (Yes even murder…of myself…suicide…just attempted grant you, but if lust of the eye is bad as giving in to the flesh, then it follows that attempted murder …you get my point).

Which ultimately led to a Dark Night of the Soul, a kind of life-review full of shame, regret, and remorse (all I could think about was every screw-up from little to large I’d ever made). I felt, and was, quite lost. But then a reasoning process occurred in which I hesitantly, tentatively, began to think that the salvific work of Jesus was sufficient to cover ALL of it. All that history from my personal BC to the present. And my assurance of salvation ticket got punched anew.

Then two voices in the broad stream of the faith (Rob Bell and Brian McLaren, very controversial both, celebrated by many and vilified as heretics by many, up to and including being assessed as pre-cursors to the AntiChrist!) came to my attention. Both refreshed and invigorated my tender renewed faith. And Bell in particular crystallized and articulated my own theology back to me (the “beautiful heresy” of Universalism) as well as pulled back the curtain and showed me the incomparable, peerless, incredible, preposterous majesty of Jesus, his Father, and their Book. My prayer had been “Let me see you as you truly are, that I might love you, and enlarge my heart, that I might love others as you would have me do.” Bell was the answer to that prayer, and after reading Love Wins (his controversial best-seller) I sat on my porch, tears of joy streaming down my face, blubbering “I love you, I love you, I love you” over and over to God.

So if it isn’t already obvious, I am heterodox, not orthodox, and possibly heretical. I was in fact going to change my Ship Name to the “Happy Heretic”, but too late, I was already locked in as

Doubting Tom Redux

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Doubting Tom Redux, I hope you will enjoy yourself on the Ship as much as I do.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doubting Tom Redux, I think that you could be in the right place. You definitely have the Unrest thing down. Welcome, welcome! [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome aboard, DTR, and happy sailing!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hey hey Doubting Tom Redux - nice to meet you. I am also a happy heretic.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all,

I am back after a year or so's break...this time with a little baby to add to the crew :-)

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome back, RR, and also welcome to Reckless Ratlet. [Smile]

--------------------

Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello everyone, I'm new as well. I lurked for around two years before I actually signed up yesterday, and I'm ready for the woes and joys that good conversation brings.

Not here a day and I've found fellow Newfoundlanders.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Cameron PM. Welcome aboard.

Interesting moniker... [Paranoid]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Cameron PM:
... Not here a day and I've found fellow Newfoundlanders.

I'm a Newfoundlander-by-adoption - I'm originally from the Orkney islands in Scotland, but I've lived here for nearly 11 years.

Welcome aboard, Cameron PM - if you've been lurking for a while, you'll probably have a fair idea of how the boards work. If you have any questions, the FAQs and 10 Commandments links at the top of the page should tell you all you need to know.

Meanwhile, happy sailing! [Smile]

Piglet, All Saints host

--------------------

Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Cameron PM:
... Not here a day and I've found fellow Newfoundlanders.

I'm a Newfoundlander-by-adoption - I'm originally from the Orkney islands in Scotland, but I've lived here for nearly 11 years.

Welcome aboard, Cameron PM - if you've been lurking for a while, you'll probably have a fair idea of how the boards work. If you have any questions, the FAQs and 10 Commandments links at the top of the page should tell you all you need to know.

Meanwhile, happy sailing! [Smile]

Piglet, All Saints host

Well my friend, you really are a true Newfoundlander. We're all from southern England, Ireland, bits of Scotland and Wales to begin with. "The most Irish place outside Ireland" and "Britannia's other hand."

Thank you all for the happy welcome.

[ 26. June 2014, 15:50: Message edited by: Cameron PM ]

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've also lived in Ireland (15 years in Belfast), and one of the first things I noticed when we moved here was how much the accent was like that of southern Ireland (especially round the Southern Shore) - they could have come straight from Cork!

--------------------

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Welcome back, RR, and also welcome to Reckless Ratlet. [Smile]

Thanks Piglet [Smile]

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
G'day maties!

(Waves friendly flag at all newbies)

Have fun on board - there's lots to explore.
[Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Folks - just doing a sniff and scratch and a lurk or two to find my bearings.

And I thought the picture is almost like Patrick Stewart... anyone know who it really is?

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome to The Ship, itsarumdo.

Board headers will show what we get up to on various decks: the 10Cs the few and simple rules.

As for the pic - clearly, from the tonsure - a monastic, and from the rapt expression, probably a Saint. Bit slim for Aquinas; bit academic for Francis; Dominic, maybe?

Firenze
AS Host

Valarian
Apprentice
# 18175

- Posted      Profile for Valarian   Email Valarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm Ian and I'm from the UK. I was brought up as a Methodist and attended regular Sunday school as a child. Even from an early age, I couldn't accept certain doctrines as valid, especially that of the Trinity. I never went through confirmation, as I couldn't subscribe to a set of beliefs that I didn't believe in. I did, however, retain an interest in Christianity - especially early 1st century Christianity, biblical textual criticism and the reformation period. I have read the Bible (several times), the Qur'an, the Noble Eightfold Path. I have explored/studied animism and other pagan belief systems. I have even looked in to the Eastern Orthodox churches and their differences with Western Christianity.

I would consider myself a traditional Unitarian Christian dissenter. I'm also an adoptionist, in that I believe Jesus was chosen for his mission by God at his baptism rather than a divine birth.

Posts: 4 | From: Worcestershire, UK | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016