homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome Aboard 2014 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome Aboard 2014
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

- Posted      Profile for croinua   Email croinua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi. Croí Nua here (which means New Heart in Gaeilge).
Not sure what else to say. I've read the 1o commandments.

Posts: 12 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well read ( I wish a few more read them) and Welcome ... happy travelling, Croí Nua / Croinua ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy sailing from over this side of the planet too, Croi Nua!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

- Posted      Profile for croinua   Email croinua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you.
Posts: 12 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahoy there!

Permission to come aboard? [Smile]

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Anesti, please don't forget to salute the Quarterdeck as you cross the gangplank.

I don't know if you have lurked before joining but in case you are completely new please have a look at the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both are linked at the top of every page.

Any questions, just ask and someone will be along to offer a reply.

Welease Woderwick
All Saints Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Welease. I am indeed a long-time lurker. Or rather, I have enjoyed reading your forum and Secret Worshiper for a couple of years now.

I am familiar with the forum rules and the different roles of Heaven, Purgatory and Hell.

So thank you for the welcome!

[Cool]

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Anesti, and welcome from over here! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello everyone I'm a 35 year old Christian who attends a Methodist church. I am also a bisexual with Cerabral Palsy (Sorry I am not a label but sometimes we need to explain [Confused] ) anything else you need or indeed want to ask I will try to answer honestly.

--------------------
God only made one of me, most people agree this is a good thing

Posts: 62 | From: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks chast x

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi spork and welcome on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team - whether the Hosts are all saints is another discussion altogether!

If you haven't already done so I recommend that you have a look at the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and at the FAQs, both of these are linked at the top of every page.

Most of all I recommend that you join in and have fun!

Welease Woderwick - All Saints Host

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome aboard, Spork! [Smile]

--------------------

spork
Shipmate
# 18260

Thankyou WW (Sorry may I be so informal?) And thankyou also to piglet.
As for being saints, if one claims said title surely one can not be a saint as that would make them very boastful and un-saintly!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Some of us are just a little bit more saintly than others, but I'll leave you to sort out who's who ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

sabinus
Apprentice
# 18266

- Posted      Profile for sabinus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello !

I hope I get this right . I'm not very good with these modern contraptions , so please be patient with me .

It was Sunday morning , and I was listening to "Sunday" on Radio 4 . There was a piece about Advent calendars and I heard "Ship of Fools" mentioned . With a degree of curiosity I jotted down the name for future reference .

Anyway the future was about noon today when I googled "Ship of Fools" and up popped information about this forum .

The only way to find out about it is to join it. So here I am .

I suppose I will wander around for a while to see what goes on , and hopefully encounter you soon .

Cheerio for now . [Smile]

p.s. About the name .

My grandmother was called Sabina . I have decided that Sabinus is the masculine for Sabina . [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.

Posts: 3 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Sabinus, welcome to the fun. I hope you get as much out of the Ship as I do.

I am a technopeasant as far as computers are concerned and have found the UBB practice thread in The Styx a good place to try new things, and the geek thread in Heaven can be helpful for computer related stuff.

HUIA

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Sabinus.

The descriptions on the home pages of the various boards should hopefully give you an idea of what people get up to them. Any questions, just ask a Host.

Enjoy the voyage.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome from over on this side of the Big Pond too, Sabinus! [Smile]

--------------------

sabinus
Apprentice
# 18266

- Posted      Profile for sabinus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Huia , Firenze and Piglet for the advice and welcome .

I hope to see you around . [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Dog Dad posted the above on a separate thread so I thought I'd copy it over in the interests of neatness - looking at my desk I don't know how I have the gall to use the word but we all have to start somewhere!

Originally posted by Dog Dad:

quote:
I lurk a lot, and did have a registration, but in all honesty, couldn't remember my screen name, my email that i used and the password I signed up with. Ergo, a brand new sign in name. A Little about me. 46, Gay, Married, Episcopalian and probably one of the few people on here who've actually been the victim of a Mystery Worship Report. Glad to say my organ playing was received well and it was not my parish, so no problems there.

So nice to be amidst other like minded individuals who actually embrace the geeky church stuff I adore. My husband is totally a non church geek....he's not an unbeliever, but doesn't share my enthusiasm for churchliness. That's OK, we all have to have our own thing.

NY Guy here, so any fellow ship mate who wants a partner for some church hopping during the week be sure to reach out to me. I'm always open for Evensong at St. Tommy's on 5th avenue...or an incense fast at St. Mary's.

I also didn't realize you could change your password, so I've changed mine to something memorable which means I may even have the chance to post once in a while.

Blessings!
AJ

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sabinus:
Hello !

I hope I get this right . I'm not very good with these modern contraptions , so please be patient with me .

It was Sunday morning , and I was listening to "Sunday" on Radio 4 . There was a piece about Advent calendars and I heard "Ship of Fools" mentioned . With a degree of curiosity I jotted down the name for future reference .

It was me you heard on Radio 4. Welcome!

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabinus
Apprentice
# 18266

So , Ancient Mariner , it was you I heard on Radio 4 .

Thanks for the welcome . [Smile]

I can blame you then for getting me on this Ship of Fools . [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have Shipmates speaking on Radio 4?!

Welcome all.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chenab
Apprentice
# 18278

- Posted      Profile for chenab   Email chenab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, I've only just discovered this place exists - and now I've been weighed in the balance & not found wanting so someone has let me in - gosh, how did I manage to pass that test [Biased]

It's an interesting welcome btw - the link in the bit saying new people introduce yourself tries to take me to an non-existent bit. Or is that a deliberate thing - like sending apprentices out for a long weight etc.

Anyway I'm here now - so what do you want to know?

Quick intro - I'm called Tony, the chenab name is one I use in a few places and has to do with some steam engines in India in the 1870s - long story but I'll tell anyone who really wants to know.

These days I'm an Anglican - I think that's Episcolian for those on the other side of the pond [Smile] oh yeah, I'm a Brit, living near the middle of East Anglia, near Ely, where we have little landscape since it's flat but we do have some really big skies. Again for anyone over in the USA that puts me near Mildenhall and Lakenheath where a certain number of your aircraft and countrymen & women are based.

Claims to fame - not a huge number - several years ago I was involved with Greenbelt including helping set up the HotHouse (a debate venue) and running the Fringe. And it very much looks like I'm probably going to be going back for the first time in several years in 2015 - another long story.

Oh yeah, and in the last couple of months I've found myself running (if anyone can be said to be in charge of it) an online pub [Yipee]

Anything else you want to know (well except for bank account details) then feel free to ask - I don't think I'm that scary or unapproachable.

Tony

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hello Chenab, and welcome aboard! [Smile]

You'll find pretty well everything you need to know in the FAQ and 10 Commandments pages (links at the top of this page).

Happy sailing,

Piglet,
All Saints Host

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chenab - the highest bridge in the world apparently. But I only find references to you when I Google Chenab engines.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
chenab
Apprentice
# 18278

- Posted      Profile for chenab   Email chenab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK quick version of the Chenab name - I've always been into steam engines and one particular set which fascinate me and that I'm researching in odd moments are the Thompson Road Steamers from the 1870s invented by a gentleman Robert William Thomson in Leith.
Four of them that were made in Ipswich went out to India for the Government and they were named after rivers, Chenab, Ravee, Hindus and Sutlej.
So when I needed a name to use on a traction engine related board then Chenab was an obvious one for me to use.
Odd piece of engineering history - Robert William Thomson invented the pneumatic tyre long before Dunlop whose patent was later cancelled because of that.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome chenab. I live not a million miles from Robert William Thomson's birthplace.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
chenab
Apprentice
# 18278

Should I be concerned that the FAQ makes no mention of buoyancy aids needing to be worn at any point?
They seem to view that as quite important at the local sailing club.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chenab:
Should I be concerned that the FAQ makes no mention of buoyancy aids needing to be worn at any point?
They seem to view that as quite important at the local sailing club.

We just walk on water.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chenab
Apprentice
# 18278

[Overused]
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello everybody. My profile tells me that I've been a shipmate since 2001. Of course, my most recent post is nearly the same vintage. As a matter of fact, it's been 3-years since I pestered Scott for my password. Alright, so I'm not the most prolific poster, but for better or for worse, I'm back. Who knows, I might even chime in on one of the conversations in Purgatory (which I don't even believe in), or even down in Heck.

[ 02. December 2014, 04:22: Message edited by: Canucklehead ]

Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Cool]

Welcome back. Some people just come back around by the scenic route.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to see you here Canucklehead.

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome back from over here on the other side of Canada. [Smile]

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not new here by any means, but it's the first time I've come aboard in quite awhile. It's nice to see everyone's still here. Just thought I'd say hello.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Good to see you back, Barefoot Friar.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016