homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Twenty

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Twenty
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the twentieth anniversary of what I consider my conversion to Christianity. Thinking back, the circumstances of it (being harangued about penal substitution by a Welsh Calvinist in an Indian restaurant, and boom, something stuck) seem a bit silly today, a thing that might never work on me now. I never prayed the sinner's prayer, I never went to the front in a meeting. I started being the CU's pet testimony-giver for a bit, but that's another story.

But it was a profound, transformative experience. I left evangelicalism behind long ago. I can think about landmarks and the way I've grown and changed into someone my 19-year-old GLE self might not even consider a Christian, but it all goes back to that ill-considered harangue, one sentence about the cross that changed my life.

It's funny how these transformative experiences meet us when we are ready for them, isn't it?

That's all.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love.It.

I could match that (sort of)--my conversion came in the bathroom (that's the loo to most of you) where I used to lock myself in to avoid my little sister finding out that I was actually reading the Bible (shock, horror).

It's funny how these things happen.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my case, it's nearly 50 years. From snake-belly low Prayer Book Anglican to pre-Humanae Vitae Catholic. I nearly got the bends going up the candle, and Mother hated my new-found Christianity. My Dad, who had gone the other way, just gave me a hug, and while he was alive, kept Mother quiet. He was dead by the time it became official - I took my time and did more studying and thinking. I found my evangelicalish knowledge of the bible useful, but it took me a few years (if I ever did) to stop humming songs like "Washed in the blood of the Lamb". The decision was made overnight, but it had been coming on for a few years. I needed to leave home, first.

Never regretted it, but there were rough patches.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never converted. I sort of grew into this since I was a child.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

Kind of envy that, to tell the truth.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

Kind of envy that, to tell the truth.
I

Grass is always greener ...

Coming from a MOR Evangelical background, I have a "moment" I can call on if need be, when I consciously assented, prayed the prayer etc. but in reality it was an easing, not a revolution.

And so, in contrast I quite often yearn for having grown up decidedly not Christian so that I could look back on a moment of true decisive clarity when floating on the seas of doubt. Not that I didn't do all sorts of stuff that would have horrified my GLE chums/leaders, and even raised eyebrows from the MOR ones, but ... it was always over a bedrock of belief. That leads to whole other psychological wobbles on whether you really believe [Biased]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

I grew up in a decidedly not churches home, but my brother and I went to a Christian youth group as teenagers, mainly to piss off my mum, a Spiritualist medium. So I'd technically believed that stuff before it became real for me. My brother's transformative experience followed about a year later, but while we both started as GLEs we travelled in diametrically opposite directions, so that brief novelty of having something in common and us getting on, didn't last long.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up the daughter of a closet Christian and an anti-Christian, and was your basic all-round American nothing. I just knew that the Bible wasn't cool. (so mature of me)

I can't point to the day or even year of my conversion, but I do remember what it was like beforehand. I'm glad I do. At least I've never had to ask whether I'm only a Christian because I was born into it.

I watch my son struggle with that and it concerns me. Poor kid.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in a very non-church home, my middle brother [I am youngest of 3] headed CofE-wards first and I followed a few years later at 17. I toyed with both Evangelicalism and Catholicism briefly when at Uni then in my 30s left CofE after my parishes homophobia became intolerable and after a few years in the wilderness I sort of gravitated to Friends [Religious Society of] where I happily remain.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brought up a Baptist, became a bit disillusioned (it was a very cliquey church and I never felt I was quite Good Enough™), started attending the local (Church of Scotland) cathedral, discovered proper church music, married the organist and followed him into the Anglican church, which suits me just fine.

I'm still not averse to a proper Metrical Psalm though - especially if it's set to either St. Magnus or Kilmarnock and/or has appropriately Yoda-esque syntax. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're going to share our religious histories, I grew up in the Hervormde ('reformed', but there's another one that also translates as 'reformed') church in the Netherlands. During my time as a student I drifted into an Ecumenical Group, that's the Dutch term for most alt.worshippy groups there. I never really left my old church though, Ecumenical Groups don't consider themselves a different denomination (that's why they're Ecumenical [Biased] ).

At the same time I started travelling to Latin America and got involved with Liberation Theology, which is still a big influence on my faith. Now that I live in Brazil I worship in the Lutheran Church (IECLB, I thinks that's the equivalent of ECLA), but I don't consider myself Lutheran.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was raised Roman Catholic and drifted away.

It wasn't until after my wife died and I moved to San Francisco from the suburbs that I started going to church again. I never really considered anything but the Episcopal Church.

I was received in May 1994. Another 20-year member here!

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just passed my 26th anniversary of what was a really knock-you-on-the-head experience, and one I will never forget. And it happened right in the middle of a road as I was crossing it! Not sure ho I made it to the other side, but I'm still here, so must have done ! [Smile]

Settled where my daughter had been before she went back to uni, graduation and married life. It was a very big Charismatic and fundie Baptist church, but gradually over the years the fundie, creationism etc. stuff has rubbed off and I would now consider myself to be a very liberal Christian, struggling with doubts still, but hopefully still on God's side! (Daughter in similar but much more settled place!)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just realised that it is 20 years for me this year too.
I was brought up in a nominally Christian house, my parents were ex-Baptists and I was an atheist until I was 25 (I say nominally Christian as we weren't brought up as Christian but my mother was horrified when I was admitted to hospital aged 15 years and declared myself an atheist on the form and not C of E). My one experience of church as a child was at about age 7 when my parents attempted to send myself and my twin brother to Sunday school and they put my visually impaired twin in with the infants instead of with me because they assumed he was stupid as well as blind [Roll Eyes] We refused to go again.
I became a Christian after the break up of my second long term engagement; I actively looked into various aspects of spirituality and religion as I felt there must be more to life than seeking happiness through men. A friend convinced me to attend her church (St Helen, Bishopsgate) and then onto their own 'beginners'' course. I know the date I made a commitment, it was at home in the nurses' flat I shared and my friend was amazed when I asked her to pray with me.
St H was great for teaching me my way round the bible but I've never been much of a conservative evo, I'm currently at a charismatic evangelical church but consider myself a fairly liberal open evo.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it a particular type of Christianity that has a conversion experience? It is completely outside of my personal experience. I have thought of this many times, and have nothing to compare to in my life experience. When, a number of years ago, I discussed it with someone learned in such matters, he likened it to painting a wall. The wall is one's life, and some people paint with a small brush, some with larger, some with sprayers and rollers, and some perhaps have a fire hose like drenching. My wall seems to be well painted, but I don't recall every starting to paint it, nor do I recall even watching it change colour. Today, I watch parts of it peel off, and do try to maintain it as well as I can. I didn't notice God or Jesus or anyone else with a brush at any time. Perhaps they paint when I go out?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are all youngsters, BTW.

35 years this year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a saying that some people meet Christ on the road to Damascus, and others meet him on the road to Emmaus.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
July 18, 1972. I was eighteen. So forty-two years and a few months.

Even though I was raised in the church, my conversion was of the kind that knocks some people on their butts. It did me, anyhow. That's when I started questioning what was being spouted by our preacher. Then I left my church and became a Methodist. Still am.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Love.It.

I could match that (sort of)--my conversion came in the bathroom (that's the loo to most of you) where I used to lock myself in to avoid my little sister finding out that I was actually reading the Bible (shock, horror).

Yeah, we Lutherans have to guess.
[Big Grin]

I wasn't born into the church, though, so I guess my conversion dates from when I was about 8 and started bugging my mom to let me take communion classes. Nobody knew I wasn't baptized until well after my first communion. When they found out, it was a huge thing.

[ 08. October 2014, 03:11: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot the time passed bit - I was 17 a long time ago - Anglican from 17 to 30 is 13 years and Quaker from 35 to 65 [and ongoing] so that is 30 years! During my time in the wilderness I retained some faith but I also had a new boyfriend...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Silver Swan
Apprentice
# 17957

- Posted      Profile for Silver Swan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I joined a hippie commune when I was twenty-one and twenty-five tempestuous years later became a Christian. I immediately stopped smoking dope and tobacco, couldn't swear if I tried and had an absolute certainty that I belong to God. Now, seventeen years later, I'm still married to a paranoid schizophrenic who gives me plenty of opportunities to practice forgiveness, and about the only Christian contact I have is on the internet. It's no easier a life than it was before my conversion, especially as I am so isolated, but I trust God has me under his wing and is in control of my circumstances.

--------------------
Christ Jesus came to be Immanuel, not a manual.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm coming up for 27 years next month (Nov 20th). I don't think me then would think much of me now, but the feeling is kind of mutual, so here I am, hanging on in there and God is still the same (just probably banging his head against the wall for the different goofy things I do these days).

A couple of days ago someone from my early days (I converted at my first term at uni, and was very heavily involved in the very charismatic evangelical CU) posted a photo on facebook of the first houseparty I went to (do CUs still do them? What a bizarre thing to call them). Despite the embarrassment (I was queen of the mullet for one thing) and being theologically nowhere near that place any more, I am really thankful to that mad bunch of people (and to the mad church that followed, once I left uni) for a foundation in faith and some amazing friends.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He came to me sometime in 2001.
I've never got much past the toe-dipping stage and frequently think about walking away from from the pool altogether. Thing is though? I not at all sure the choice is even mine to make.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Love.It.

Yeah, we Lutherans have to guess.
[Big Grin]

I wasn't born into the church, though, so I guess my conversion dates from when I was about 8 and started bugging my mom to let me take communion classes. Nobody knew I wasn't baptized until well after my first communion. When they found out, it was a huge thing.

[Killing me]

yeah, they didn't find out about me until just BEFORE communion. And yeah, they flipped out.

I mean, duh. If it's such a big deal to you, maybe you could ASK your incoming students if they're baptized yet, rather than just assuming it?

heheheheehehehe

[ 09. October 2014, 19:01: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know, right?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, they discovered my father was not baptised only after he started training for the ministry.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ha! [Killing me] [Overused]

Maybe we should form a club.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Add Mr. Lamb. He was baptized all right, but hasn't been confirmed yet, lo, to this very day. (Despite confirming who knows how many others)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Add Mr. Lamb. He was baptized all right, but hasn't been confirmed yet, lo, to this very day. (Despite confirming who knows how many others)

I read this from the "today's top threads" list, in smallish print, as "He was baptized all night," and wondered exactly how they could do that and not drown the poor guy.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I guess the winner in this game would be someone who baptized someone else before they themselves were baptized, but the overload of theological conundrum might short out the board.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016