homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » January 9-10 in Manchester UK - anyone have a place to stay?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: January 9-10 in Manchester UK - anyone have a place to stay?
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a paper accepted at a conference in Manchester, and I'm so excited! Trouble is, I'm really short on cash right now. I thought I'd ask here if anyone in the Manchester area could put me up to save money on hotels. And, I'd also love to meet Shipmates while there (assuming I can scrounge up the funds to get there!).

The conference, "Images, Icons, and Idols," is at the University of Manchester. Here are the details.

Assuming I can make it there, we can use this thread as the time approaches to plan a Shipmeet, too!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations.

I have still to decide whether I am going (I am not presenting) to this. There maybe other shipmates going.Another student, more liturgical than I am, may also be going. It will not be the first time a ship meet has happened around one of these.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll be rather too busy then to accept guests, but have you thought about contacting one of the halls of residence?

I used to work at Dalton Ellis, and we often had University guests outside of term-time - might be worth getting in contact?

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try Luther King House.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do hope to be able to meet some of you! Thanks for the suggestions so far.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Try Luther King House.

Seconded, but I'm biased because I trained for ministry at the theological college that's based there! Seriously, as long as you get a decent room it's a nice, quiet place with decent food and the added attraction (if you're into that) of a theological library on site! Plus it's just down the road from the uni and there's tons of buses that go there. Andvno, I'm not on commission from them...

Never been on a ship meet before, so if there was one in the offing I'd be up for it.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

- Posted      Profile for LRP   Email LRP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly manage to come across the pennies for a Ship meet.
Posts: 420 | From: Yorkshire lass, born and bred. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

I'm still working on coming up with the pennies to make it to the conference! I will be absolutely crushed if it doesn't work out. I really need this. Prayers would be appreciated!

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Wow. A friend of mine on facebook has just used her frequent flier miles and bought me my plane ticket. I just need to come up with money for accommodations and for my passport renewal (with time running out on that). But yay, that's a huge hurdle out of the way.

Next time someone says facebook is a bad thing, there's this huge counter-example! [Yipee]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Oh - and the flight has me arriving on 8 Jan and leaving 14 Jan, which means I need to stay 6 nights - and, more importantly, I have plenty of time for a Shipmeet (or 2)!

The conference is the 9th and 10th; I'm not sure yet which day I'll be presenting.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Wow. A friend of mine on facebook has just used her frequent flier miles and bought me my plane ticket. I just need to come up with money for accommodations and for my passport renewal (with time running out on that). But yay, that's a huge hurdle out of the way.

Next time someone says facebook is a bad thing, there's this huge counter-example! [Yipee]

So happy for you! [Yipee]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

So, who all from the Ship lives in the Manchester area? Fancy a Shipmeet?

Since I'll be around for a few days after the conference is over, I'd love to meet some of you. I'll also want to attend church on Sunday, most likely at the cathedral.

So if you know any Mancunian Shipmates who maybe haven't seen this thread yet, send 'em over!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not based in Manchester but grew up there.

If around Manchester on the Sunday then you might consider
  • St Anns Manchester which is a civic church
  • The closest to Luther King House is Holy Trinity Platt but I strongly suspect that would not be your cup of tea
  • However Holy Innocents which is the next parish out I think, is Anglo-Catholic and you may enjoy.
  • The chaplaincy has its own chapel (do not imagine anything small) with a congregation attached.
  • but the really spectacular worship space around the University is Holy Name which is attached to the Catholic chaplaincy.

Manchester is a bit odd with respect to the Cathedral. It is in old Manchester and modern Manchester has moved south. It is therefore a bit of awkward to get to. It is also a surprisingly small cathedral and is not in the same central role as cathedrals are in other cities. St Ann's, as I said above, is the civic church and hosts a lot of civic events. It is also in Manchester and you therefore need to think Lancashire Low Protestant as a heritage. That is one of my reasons for naming Holy Innocents.

Talk of which there is also the Hidden Gem for you to visit. John Rylands Library (Deansgate Branch) is another I suspect must. Technically with visiting both St Anns and the Hidden Gem you might consider want to consider Cross Street Chapel which claims to be the home of Nonconformity in Manchester and Elizabeth Gaskell's husband was minister at. However the original chapel was destroyed in the Blitz. I am afraid that all you will get to see of the Free Trade Hall is the front fascia. The stuff behind has been demolished.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Wow, thanks for all that, Jengie! I will definitely look into those sites. [Yipee]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I live about a train ride away from Manchester (Stafford) the time to travel by train is between 1 and 2 hours depending on the service etc and it may not be cheap - I don't know.
There are 2 adults and 2 cats living here.

I know it isn't ideal, being such a way to travel, but if you are stuck you could stay here.

And I would absolutely be up for a meet wherever you are staying.

Isn't it exciting!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Cool, thanks! I'll let you know - if I can't crowd-fund enough money for a hotel, maybe I'll take you up on your offer. But either way, I look forward to meeting you at some point, for a Shipmeet or otherwise.

BTW, what's the weather like there in January? I googled and found something about the averages, which indicated it can be rainy, and just a few small degrees above freezing. So it sounds a little bit warmer than where I live, but not much - so I shouldn't have to break out different clothes than I'll already be using. Just an umbrella, maybe?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And wellies. Don't forget wellies!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to a midweek service at the cathedral in April. Very enjoyable and welcoming. The art gallery is small but worth it. Went there twice. You can walk between them. Yes it rained.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Old joke: 'The thief stole some boots, a packet of birdseed and an umbrella. Police are looking for a budgerigar on a walking tour of Manchester'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi,

As Stoo said, we can't be host unfortunately as our baby is due on the 6th Jan, but I can help you out with what to wear!

Manchester is quite warm in the grand scheme of things - a few degrees above freezing (centigrade) is almost certainly what to expect, bring waterproof shoes (maybe not wellies - we do drizzle here rather than downpours), layers and a waterproof coat. I don't usually bother with an umbrella but that's personal preference [Smile] .

If you get hotel money, it might be worth looking at Chancellors - it's the university's hotel and is often quite cheap. Its a couple of miles from campus, and about 4 miles from the city centre but there are frequent (cheap and easy to use) buses. Holy Innocents church is also in Fallowfield (as mentioned by Jengie).

I work at the uni, and have lived here all my life, so please let me know if I can help with any other information.

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Thank you for that info, Jen. I do hope to be able to meet you in January!

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Churchgeek -

I can't offer you accommodation, but I do hope your visit will be the occasion for a meetup.

Just wondering if you are intending to spend your whole stay in this city? I think I might find good things to do for a couple of days, but you might want a change? Liverpool is different, and an easy train ride away, with lots more to see. If you fancy seeing some UK countryside, then there's good walking in N.Wales, Cumbria, or even the Peak District (very close to Manc, on the way to Sheffield). How do you fancy spending your time?

cheers
Mark

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

I think I'll find plenty to do in town, but I suppose there'd be no harm in venturing out a bit - if I have the money. Money's really tight; in fact, I'm crowd-funding this trip. (I'm unemployed.)

So I might stay in a hotel close to the university just during the conference, and then go to cheaper accommodations. We'll see...

But I'm quite interested in a few of the museums in town and in visiting churches, which I always enjoy.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Plenty of other places to go in Manchester. For instance the Pankhurst Centre, Art Galleries. There is also Barton Arcade, not to shop but to look at the archictecture and equally Exchange Theatre. Although I would queue up for an on the day ticket to see a production. If it is still the same as it was your feet will be touching the stage area.

As to accommodation consider staying at the Manchester Youth Hostel which is central and I suspect cheaper than any hotel provided you do not mind sharing a room.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Museum of Science and Industry is supposed to be good, and free: I second the suggestion of the City Art Gallery- also the gallery at the Lowry in Salford, which is really part of Manchester (is Lowry popular across the pond? not just his work there though, I think), Imperial War Museum North (next door to the Lowry), People's History Museum (labour movement and radical politics), Whitworth Gallery, Gallery of Costume at Platt Hall (these latter two near Luther king House if you're staying there). All these are free, IIRC.
Cheap and adequate eats in Manchester or anywhere else in UK include Wetherspoons pub chain, Greggs sandwich shops. Most major supermarkets (e.g. Sainsbury's)will do you a sandwich/ crisps/ drink deal for £3 or thereabouts, which can be good value. Youth hostel should have self-catering facilities (best to check) which should help keep costs down.
The main Liverpool museums and galleries are free, too, so worth making a trip there. If you don't want to stay there, you can easily do it in a day from Manchester- return National Express coach ticket, booked online in advance, can cost you all of about £6!

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Cool, thanks for all that! Yes, I was definitely planning to go see the People's History Museum, being from Detroit (a major labor town).

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

OK, I've booked my accommodations! [Yipee]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

We could use this thread now to arrange a Shipmeet. Possible dates/times:

• After 5:30pm on Saturday the 10th January (the conference ends at 5pm)
  • Any time after church (i.e., afternoon or evening) on Sunday the 11th January
  • Any time Monday the 12th
  • Any time Tuesday the 13th

Anyone interested?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arranging a shipmeet might work better either on a new thread or by modifying the title of this one - I prefer the first option but it is up to you, churchgeek.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Yes, I'd change the title if I could. I guess I thought maybe opening a new thread would be annoying or confusing, since they'd be similar. But that might be a good idea. At least with a new thread, you wouldn't have to skim past the other stuff first. So, new thread it is.

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016