homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praise and Thanksgiving 2014 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving 2014
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
D (mentioned on prayer thread a few days ago) back with his friends and on top form last night. [Smile]

And Yay! for Pete and Gussie.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was at Bluewater shopping centre this afternoon, when a woman suddenly rushed into the shop and asked if anyone had seen a child. Turned out her three year old daughter had gone missing while she was at the cashpoint. She was in a terrible state, understandably.

The security people swung into action, with shops radioing each other, and other shoppers joined in looking for her. After about ten minutes, she was found in a nearby shop. Must have been the longest ten minutes of her poor mother's life!

Thank You, Lord, for her safe return.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My 3G internet dongle service has been restored! Presumably they serviced the local tower yesterday.

Proof, were it needed, that complaining works - how do the company know there is a fault unless the punters tell them?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After deciding I had got myself into too much of a state to put in a job application today, I have discovered another vacancy at the same organisation, which is an even better match for my skills and experience, which gives me 10 days to fill in the form, and where I know the guy the post is working for.

I had not expected such speedy vindication that my decision this morning was the right one. It really does feel as if somebody is looking out for me. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I give thanks for the 90th birthday of The Dowager Mrs S, my mother. She plans to mark the actual day with a round of golf (only 9 holes, sadly) and cake at the club with some friends. Further festivities will follow over the next fortnight!

She still lives on her own, in our family home, though I am immensely grateful to her neighbours R & J who keep an eye out for her. She was widowed about 35 years ago, but although she was completely knocked for six she has rebuilt a life for herself.

I am very proud of her and very grateful for all she has done for me and my family.
[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]
90 not out! Well done the Dowager!

Mrs. S, giving wholehearted thanks [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday, Dowager Mrs. S.! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! [Yipee] today was the shortest day, (well it may actually be tomorrow - who cares, it's happening) [Yipee] which means the days (at this end of the world) will start getting longer.

I know this means the weather will get colder, but at least it will be light.

Huia - dancing the happy dance

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was asked to write out my testimony by the school teacher who is to blame for me being a Christian. Having done so, I am feeling quite overwhelmed with blessings.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a great holiday in Canadia.
We all stayed well and we saw friends and family. We love beautiful BC and hope to return.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cancer doesn't always win! Our churchwarden has been given the all-clear [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the little bit of rain that came this evening, LORD, it helped the fire problems all over the state.

And, LORD, could you please send more rain? This is supposed to be 'monsoon season'. Thank you.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all who prayed for us. My wife, Z, has signed a contract to teach English in the fall. She starts at the end of the month.

[Axe murder]

[Yipee]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Z, and good luck with the new job! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the holidays, and we survived the year! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More joy: I have been blessed in my life by the friendship of some very special people.

I'm especially thankful for M, a friend from my late teens. He understands. Thank you God. [Votive]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Love came down and rescued me'.
[Axe murder]
That's all!

Mrs. S, singing to herself

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been lovely and sunny in Dundee as I walked around and up lots of places out of the shops etc. thank you Lord for a lovely time ! [Axe murder]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still loving my (paid) work! Such happy days..... [Smile]
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Women Bishops finally allowed in the C of E.

PTL. Bout bloody time.

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hot damn! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The sewers are fixed, the smells are gone and the road is being re-sealed. Soon we will get our bus stop back and, if I'm feeling very daring, I may venture out on my bike again and pray that I am not one of the 3 cyclists who are hit by cars each week.

The smells have been there since November,(this time) so I feel like having a party.

Thanks to those who continued working in the hail and rain - and who will now go on to fix the sewers in another part of town. (the quakes upset the infrastructure that was already in the process of being renewed.)

This may seem like a weird thing to give thanks for, but having had a major disaster happen has made me more grateful for everyday things.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
This may seem like a weird thing to give thanks for, but having had a major disaster happen has made me more grateful for everyday things.

Huia

Always a good thing, Huia! [Overused]

Mrs. S, doing #100happydays on fb for just that reason [Yipee]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I give thanks for the NHS, which saved my life 16 years ago today.

The NHS! [Overused]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother's worrisome blood test results are not as dangerous as feared.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a little thing, but after watching five minutes of "Request timed out" the server I rebooted remotely has come back up. It is in Barnsley and I'm working at home from Chesterfield whilst minding two poorly children, so you can imagine I really really really needed it to come back up...

If you have anxiety, you'll understand.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Small maybe, but not insignificant, KLB. When something stops doing what it's supposed to, it's always a cause for rejoicing when it starts doing it again.

Case in point: the water pressure in our house mysteriously decreased a few days ago and has now returned, for which I'm grateful; the last thing you need when it's pushing 30° is a shower that acts like a pipette.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definite praise and thanks for my successfully completed hip replacement. The old hip joint, source of pain and mobility problems, has been removed, and a new ceramic one installed. Very, very grateful thanks. [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very thankful that my bus pass photo-card was found and returned by a neighbour who recognised it as mine.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Quite amazingly grateful that - once we had the table stretched to its fullest extent and laid with mats, plates, cutlery, napkins etc etc - the top-of-the-range Mr. S realised that we would be 12 for supper tonight, not 10 as I had counted [Help] (OK, back to Plan A for a buffet!)

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I knew my maths was bad, but that bad? [Eek!]

Mrs. S, thanking heaven that it's a curry night - not pork chops! [Killing me]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Neph got his first job!!,
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks that my husband's friend G is on the mend from a nasty bike accident.
Thanks for the life of another friend N. A few of us met this weekend at the place he died to celebrate his life and to catch up with each other (we all live in different places now).I felt connected with friends living and dead, in as Quaker's say, 'those things that are eternal'.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A small thing in the Grand Scheme of Things™, but the "pop-ups" that were plaguing the new computer (particularly badly on the Ship) seem to have buggered off.

[Yipee]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have had lovely sun as we cam at New Wine, and also good singers and teachers and nice food. I have seen orange at night for the next day. I do hope it still is sunny and dry.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm thankful.

Cattyish, cheering up.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Praise and Thanksgiving today for the exchange of handshakes and goodwill between European countries. [Votive]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regarding new hip, extra special thanks and praise that my consultant said I could drive again and resume normal activities, only be careful putting on my socks. [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Regarding new hip, extra special thanks and praise that my consultant said I could drive again and resume normal activities, only be careful putting on my socks. [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

That's good news for you. When MIL had her first replacement operation, she just could not understand she was not to bend suddenly to pick up something dropped, even when we bought gadget for her to use.

Did you know you can get help with socks or tights etc? These people sell several types of this aid as I saw on another UK forum. You may have to do a bit of a search, this was the first result I found.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surgery went better than even the surgeon expected, and the pain level is many notches lower than I was fearing! Thank you everyone for your prayers. I have a bit of recooping to do, but I have the whole week wide open, and so nowhere to go, and I have some nice loopy-loopy drugs should the pain get too intense. Everyone has taken really good care of me, especially Josephine. All praise and thanksgiving and glory and honor to God who brought us together, and thanks to St. Joseph for his prayers.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have purchased a car!!! [Yipee]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Health to drive it, CM! [Smile]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Returned from my two week vacation to find all well with my cats and my turtle. (of course I had my daughter look in on them and replenish their food halfway through.)

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

That's good news for you. When MIL had her first replacement operation, she just could not understand she was not to bend suddenly to pick up something dropped, even when we bought gadget for her to use.

Did you know you can get help with socks or tights etc? These people sell several types of this aid as I saw on another UK forum. You may have to do a bit of a search, this was the first result I found.

The local council gave my mother one of these for free when she came out of hospital after her hip op; they also gave her a couple of special chairs and were just way more helpful than I had anticipated.

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Working on election day. Not only that, but the polling place I'm in is my church. Grateful for any work and money at the moment.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Little A, for whom I asked prayers a while ago is back at tuition today - he seems fine, says he feels fine. Littler A seems very pleased to have his big brother back.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good to hear it, WW - may he have a full and speedy recovery. [Smile]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

My family told me to come with them to walk around along the west and they took me in their car, and we had a lovely time and lovely trees and lovely colours of things they grow. And nice food also!
Thank you God for us having a great time! [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And I forgot to say we were in the "Kew" place where they are many many trees and other things.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I came off my bike last Monday.
Thanks for the man who helped me to the chemist; the assistant who gave me enough wound bandages to get me to work; a husband who hates me cycling, but still picked me up from work & drove me to the hospital & held my hand while my knee was stitched up.
The stitches came out yesterday, I cycled to & from work, I've still some fab bruises but Yay, I can bend my knee, so will be able to do Greenbelt!

--------------------
Less is more ...

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The old car sold!! [Yipee]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I had a lovely time camping for a few days - people were really nice near me, and also I had often icecream several times a day! Thank you God. [Axe murder]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016