homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praise and Thanksgiving 2014 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving 2014
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother found a job! It's only two days a week but there's the chance of it leading to something more. Plus he has an interview at another place on Friday that might lead to something.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to Almighty God (or whoever that was [Paranoid] ) who inspired me to attend the evening service at an Anglican church again - this one's a bit over an hour away. (There's one closer, but they don't do evenings, and I just never get up in time on Sunday mornings!)

Good to have been back after a prolonged absence. I had moved house, and now they're even further away - but boy, it's still the same fabulous music, real organ and even two organ and violin pieces at the end, all played by professional musicians, with a quality and expertise you probably won't normally get in a congregation of that size. Pure bliss! (And the choir wasn't even on duty that night!) [Yipee]

Good sermon et al, too. Same faces, only a wee bit older. Some good things never change. Excellent stuff. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad you liked it, WJ - I reckon Choral Evensong is one of the best reasons for being an Anglican!

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well said, Piglet - I agree entirely!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I was thinking of you and your reports (amid much decanal grinning) when I wrote this! You are so totally right! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much relief, I found my passport!

[Yipee]

...but then it was probably me that covered it with a stack of papers!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very long time ago (OK, May 2013) my then-bosses 22 year old son was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. He had two courses of chemo and is now officially in remission and on three monthly checks. He had only started work two weeks before he was diagnosed but the firm kept his job open and he return to it last week.

We take good news where we can get it on the cancer front. Thanks everyone.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am so un-media savvy, I do not know who Bronson Pinchot is. But he is the reader of my novel HOW LIKE A GOD, which is just out on Audible.com!
http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00OGKZIL6&source_code=AUDORWS1016149B8E

Unfortunately I probably will never have the courage to listen to him read it!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know him. He's got a nice, rich voice. ( character actor mostly known for comedic roles-- but nice voice!)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haven't read this in a while-- yay for all the yay! [Yipee]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's so much easier to look back and see God's hand in your life than when you're in the thick of trouble.

Thank you God for looking after me so wondrously.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hospice has better wifi than my parents' house. And no data limit, either. Who would have thought?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did not forget to buy coffee!

Well, I could qualify that, and say, I forgot to buy coffee, but then my list reminded me at the till that I should go back and get some. This avoided later berating of self and is a great cause of joy!

Yay lists!!

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am so grateful to everyone who has supported me since I've been off sick from work. They say that when you're in trouble, you find out who your friends are, and that's is so true - those who've helped me in person and those I've never met, like the Shipmates on the Prayers of the Faithful thread. Thank You, Lord, for all these wonderful people. May I be as good a friend to them.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cubby is home from the hospital!!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the Diocesan projects with which I am working is facing very severe financial challenges. Today we received two donations which we will keep our work with children with disabilities viable for the a while at least.
My Kenyan colleagues wept when they received the news.
So relieved and thankful
An answer to some heartfelt prayers

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My computer is fixed and my family connected it as they are near it! I am pleased - thank you God to get it fixed! [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
40th wedding anniversary today! We have been, and are, so greatly blessed. Thank you God for our families and friends who have supported us over all these years together, hard times and better times, sickness and health, etc etc.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

The Intrepid Mrs. S, thanking God for Mr. S [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! Ours will be in four years.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. S! [Yipee]

Today I'm thankful that I found my keys, which I thought I'd locked in the office, but hadn't.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please join me in thanking God for his great gift, my brand new nephew, 5 hours old, no name yet.

Thank you, Jesus.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, and welcome to Planet Earth, Erroneous Nephew (should that be Erroneous Novice?). [Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got my visa extension - for which much thanks.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Feeling thankful for a very helpful discussion with a union rep this morning.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a problem in the computer about getting messages and I prayed and phone the one to fix it and it is fixed now. Thank you, God. [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thankyou Lord for the first time in a while I've had a full nights sleep, not being plagued by multiple 'mini-siezures'. Thankyou also for my Mother who has sat by my side many nights as I'm sure she will be called upon again.

Thankyou Lord for my handsome boyfriend A and his voice oh when he tells me he loves me or even sings to me* I just fall more in love with him.

*he has restricted vocal cords which means he sometimes cannot be understood by others and has to be in an environment he feels secure in (as you can imagine) to sing but to me oh [Tear]

--------------------
God only made one of me, most people agree this is a good thing

Posts: 62 | From: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused] Spork [Axe murder]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New purple hearing aids [Yipee] and, what's more the price was less than quoted, thanks to a decrease just before the audiologist bought them [Yipee]

Also many thanks to the ethical audiologist [Angel]

Sounds are not only louder, but far crisper. Somehow unexpectedly loud noises are dampened down too - magic!

Huia

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah for your hearing aids Huia -as a wearer I know the difference good ones make.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some time ago I asked for prayer for a Situation in a Church Near Us. Hallelujah, it has been resolved - not without a great deal of pain and expense - but resolved none the less, and we all breathe again.

Thank you all so much for your prayers.

Mrs. S, mopping her brow

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I met one of my first cousins yesterday for the first time in the memory of either of us. It was a very interesting experience. I am sad she had such an upbringing but happy to tell her that the ogres she was taught to fear when she was a child were perfectly ordinary and nice people.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr Bee safely delivered to hospital in Oxford and the op has gone well.
Grateful to see a rainbow as I left the hospital.
Prayers for his recovery and my travelling appreciated.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news for you all, Tree Bee.
[Votive]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanksgiving for the safe delivery of the Dormouse great niece, named Lydia Florence.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks be to God, my nephew has checked in.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it, Uncle P. Prayers continuing.

[Votive]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Philae has landed, DG. [Yipee]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy for you, Doc Tor.

A fantastic achievement - especially welcome after the recent accidents.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Philae has landed, DG. [Yipee]

I remarked to my husband that it was nice to see happy scientists and he said he saw one every time he looked in the mirror. Aw, bless.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Miss S-as-was has returned Mr. S's car, which she has had on loan for 10 weeks while hers was being made. (This means that the grumpiness about my car and my driving will now cease [Yipee] )

Mrs. S - for this relief much thanks!
[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally, after 5 months of investigations, together with the hospital messing up appointments and tests, I am told I do not have bladder cancer and my kidneys are fine.

Not out of the woods but the trees are thinning.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Amen! [Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excellent news, EM! [Yipee]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today is my Christian birthday. Another year, still here [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

My son and his two little women from school came to me today and he washed and cleaned a floor of my place I cook! And also everything in it too! So I did not have to do it today! [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

The Jumbo FUN Concert in church tonight, in aid of two African charities we support, went really well. I'm so relieved, I can think about Christmas now.
[Overused]
Mrs. S, still humming 'Nellie the Elephant'

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My little brother, who isn't the easiest person due to some health issues, had a chat on the 'phone with his good friend. This is a major breakthrough in getting back in contact. I am massively thankful for his faithful and lovely friend and said friend's kindness to my Dad who was feeling pretty worried about wee bro 2.

Cattyish, good things to all faithful friends.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm thankful that my friend J. has come through her (first) radiotherapy with not too many ill-effects, and she was back singing in the choir today.

[Votive] that it zaps that which needs to be zapped.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

For a wonderful Thankgiving Day. [Axe murder]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like to give thanks for wonderful friends who are, in $25-$100 increments, funding my trip to the UK to present at a conference in January. Someone even donated her miles to buy my plane ticket! Since I've been unemployed for a while, I would absolutely not be able to make this trip without their help.

It's a big deal for me - my first real conference presentation (I did a small panel and another small society meeting before), and a CV line item. And my first time in England! Plus it's been a really bad year-or-so, and this is definitely a bright spot. I'd been feeling a bit disconnected from my studies (especially being on the other side of the US from my school now, and being on leave because I can't afford tuition), so this is a much-needed way to reconnect with my academic work.

Other friends who can't contribute money are also offering words of support, prayers, and tips/ideas, and that is really meaningful as well. I would like to give thanks for all these friends.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016