homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praise and Thanksgiving 2014 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving 2014
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's great news Churchgeek, and it gives you a new horizon. Britain in January can be a bit bleak weather-wise, but I hope and pray that you will receive a warm welcome all around.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today it was beautiful blue sky and I walked around all the rivers and trees and also took bread to feed the birds there - there were many big black ones who had plenty bread to eat. Thank you Lord for such a lovely day and beautiful !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm feeling thankful that my work contract (and those of my colleagues) has been extended again - I love my job, and wish it could be permanent, but it's dependent on research grants, so I just have to pray that they'll keep coming.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Britain in January can be a bit bleak weather-wise

No worries - I live in Detroit! From what I hear, it should be similar weather to what I'm used to - maybe a tiny bit warmer, in fact, depending on if our temperatures are normal at the time.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm grateful that I am doing better this term at keeping up with grading papers than in the past. [Overused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
I am thankful that the pre-Christmas workload has been considerably less this year, and that some help has been supplied.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks that the paper I went to collect in the state capital was ready and thanks for the lovely lady in The Secretariat who coped with my fussing and delivered it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Despite, well, lots of stuff (see prayer thread), I must say--as, interestingly, a loved one who is practically an atheist pointed out today--that the way the timing has worked for our crises has, thank God, been as good as it possibly could be. Expensive car problems, again, yes--but on the day the paycheck has been deposited and the friend is there to help out. And on the last day of finals, but when I can get a ride from a fellow educator to make it to class, and no school for a month now. And so on. Sometimes I feel like God is letting us go through these things in just the time that allows us to see bits of light shining around the corner, rather than having all of our needs met immediately and visibly. [Overused]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Oh, and awesome news from my Facebook info: Ollie (friend's nephew, an infant) is done with chemotherapy and everyone seems pleased (I know little of how this works), and Marmalade the cat's own cancer is in remission. [Yipee]

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank You Lord for getting me through 10 days of real sickness (8nights in hospital). Who would have thought pancreatitis could be such a bugger?
Thank You also for the wonderful hospital chaplains who supported me so well and also listened when I said that the lady next to me, although an atheist, needed someone to pray for her. She ended up really looking forward to her visit from the 'God person'.
Thank You for hospital staff and particularly Lord, Thank You for modern medicine!

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all for your prayers for me and my friends. We made it to the funeral safely and in time, and we made it back. Also they were very well-behaved, and survived 5 hours or so of my driving without so much as a sharp intake of breath!

J's cremation service went well, as these things go, and B was so glad to see us, and so appreciative, that it made it all worthwhile.
[Angel]
Thank you Lord!

Mrs. S, much relieved

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm posting this in thanksgiving that D's brother-in-law, who's been battling cancer, is now officially in remission.

I think I'll keep mentioning him in my prayers though. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm back again - I seem to have lots to be thankful for at the moment. This time it's that a friend who had been unemployed and broke for about 10 years, has found a job that suits him, sorted out his finances and is feeling much happier.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am very grateful for our church congregation and all the support and encouragement they give MrP and myself.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sis married her boyfriend of almost 20 years today.

Mazeltov, Alvissimo!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
During Midnight Mass I was thinking how immensely grateful I am to all the people here who have made it so easy for this strange, pale-coloured foreigner to fit in so well in this wonderful community - particularly Himself, Herself, their families and also M & V and their families.

Gratitude also for the amazing communal harmony here - before Mass I was looking at the Crib that had been built in the car park and one of the local Christian lads was there with half a dozen Hindu lads from the village who had come along as well - I am not sure if they stayed for the Mass as well but it was good just to see them there.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may seem silly to some but it's a BIG deal in our apartment: The new bathroom fan that was installed last week! The fan is wired to the light, so we had been taking showers and baths and doing our...ahem..."business" in completely darkness. Sometimes a shower in the dark can be relaxing but not when you slip in the tub or bang your leg on the faucet. We have been without the fan since last August.

Thank you, God, that we were finally able to get the money to get the old rusted, dusty, dirty fan replaced!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks and praise to God that we spent a peaceful week celebrating Christmas with effectively all my relatives (Mr. S has none that are specific to him). We followed my rule for Christmas (Keep changing the personnel!) and it worked well; now everyone is safely at home again and I think we all had a good time [Yipee]

The Grateful Mrs. S [Overused]

Oh, and three of the four kids/kids-in-law came to church willingly at various times

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a lovely time last week at Exeter, organized by "Saga" where they had a hotel place to live in and give us lovely food and fun to play and win and have some people from their local church who sang to us for ages.
And we also visited by a big bus to go a long way to visit and walk there and visit a church that was ancient and also somewhere there to have food at lunchtime.
And also at Christmas I went to a church that took about a while to walk to it. It was lovely in that church both at night and the next morning. [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a lovely time seeing all the relatives including quite far flung ones. Christmas day when my husband and all his siblings were together for the first time in ages was special, then today I met up with a neice I haven't seen for about eight years. So praise and thanksgiving for families.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm thankful that:
(a) the carol service went really well; and
(b) I shan't have to sing Silent Night again for another year. [Devil]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My phone has been ringing once, then dumping the call. This started at the beginning of the school holidays, so I thought it was kids playing games.
Having a pone that rings and then cuts out is really stressful, especially if you have no way of knowing who is trying to get hold of you.

It has now been fixed by Chorus. YaY [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... It has now been fixed by Chorus. YaY [Yipee]

I think the correct response to that is "Hallelujah" ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I give thanks that the thing spotted in my breast during a mammogram turned out, as was immediately obvious at the moment of the biopsy, to be just a collection of cysts. Not cancer.
My own relief made my heart go out to the people who get the opposite news….

Also give thanks for a wonderful if chaotic Christmas with the enormous family I am lucky enough to be part of.

--------------------
Pondering.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As 2014 draws to a close this thread closes, too, but there is a bright new thread ready and waiting for us to give thanks in 2015.

WW - AS Host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016