homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers continuing for you and M, Lothlorien. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah Loth, the pain goes on and on, doesn't it. My prayers are with you and you family as well as your little one.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]
Ditto.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers continuing.

-21 c in Athens, Ohio today. Windchill -25.
Just a tad chilly, what!

My travel diary... Travelling adventures

Oh, but I am having a lovely holiday!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
Ah Loth, the pain goes on and on, doesn't it. My prayers are with you and you family as well as your little one.

Thanks to all for the prayers. We feel as if we have been catapulted in less than a week into a totally different world.

First chemo session is on Friday, regardless of other things.

Yesterday she developed pancreatitis, no obvious cause, and has morphine through her central line for that.

Scan of heart muscle to be used as a marker in the future showed up a hole in the heart. She's always been very active so it hasn't caused a problem in the past. It will be treated by keyhole surgery if need be, but they are leaving it for the moment.

Pages and pages of info on all the drugs, our heads are swimming.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firmly ensconced on the cathedral prayer list [Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you. It's a long windy road ahead.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On my prayer list here as well.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And here - poor wee lass. [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poor little M. Prayers for her and all her family, especially Gran. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
poor baby! on our list as well.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the second night in a row, we've lit the fire. At the beach! In January!

Back to Sydney tomorrow, then out early on Friday morning to the real cold in Vienna. We shall pack for that, whereas neither of us put in woollen jumpers for this break.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Continuing prayers for your little one Loth. Chemo can be a hard road but it is not without its success. Among all the bad news I hear in my oncology ward I also hear much that is good.

Work is ongoing. Ten years ago 45% of cancer patients survived, now it is up to 65% in only ten years and research is continuing apace.

On another note, I'm in love! After 21 years of being single again I have met the woman of my dreams and it all came about through the grace of God. [Overused]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What lovely news to share James [Axe murder] all the very best, God is indeed good.

BTW, rates of survival in childhood leukemia are PTL, much higher than 65%, it really is an area of medicine that has progressed at an amazing rate over the last 20 years. [Votive] for all undergoing treatment for cancer, particularly Loth's grandaughter.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
What lovely news to share James [Axe murder] all the very best, God is indeed good.

BTW, rates of survival in childhood leukemia are PTL, much higher than 65%, it really is an area of medicine that has progressed at an amazing rate over the last 20 years. [Votive] for all undergoing treatment for cancer, particularly Loth's grandaughter.

Doctors are optimistic of a very good outcome for her. I am keeping the tiny rate of those who don't survive firmly out of my mind.

Little Miss M will be in hospital till Friday at least. More medication through the week and chemo every Friday afternoon. She tolerated the first dose quite well. Another blood transfusion yesterday and more platelets. She looks wonderful after the transfusion but the effect wears off fairly rapidly. She played Monopoly with her dad yesterday and was beating him till she suddenly fell asleep in the middle of her turn.

Have her siblings this week here. It's been a tough time on them too. Have forgotten the tricks for dealing with a just fifteen year old boy, but I suppose they may return if needed.

James, what lovely news!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, JTC - just keep those positive vibes heading in the direction of Lothlorien and her grand-daughter!

[Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Little Miss M came through the first chemo session quite well. However doctors are still concerned about the pancreatitis developing so strongly so soon. Her blood sugar levels are also elevated, almost to the point of needing insulin. This is possibly a side effect of her other treatment but is being watched closely.

We certainly don't want to have diabetes in the mix as well and hope they can pinpoint the cause quickly.

Hopefully she will be released in a few days, although she will need to return regularly for chemo and testing along with other treatments as needed.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Is she on steroids? Steroid induced diabetes is quite common but I believe is easily treated.

Thanks for the good wishes. I feel like an 18 year old, I am MUCH older than that.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] James – blessings on your new-found love.

[Votive] Loth – we had prayer candles this morning so I lit one for your granddaughter. May all those procedures do their work well.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you , yes she is on steroids but they are surprised at the levels.

We all appreciate the prayers, whatever form they come in.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Preaching in one hour forty.

Well thought out, just not on paper yet.

Typing fast.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

On another note, I'm in love! After 21 years of being single again I have met the woman of my dreams and it all came about through the grace of God. [Overused]

[Yipee]

Believe me - returns to love can be most wondrously redemptive.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best wishes JtC and thanks of sharing this with us. Prayers continuing for your grand-daughter Lothlorien. We shall light candles for her this morning both in St Stephen and Christ Church.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi everyone, I'm still in England (haven't been deported Yet!)

Hope to be a bit more active on the ship this year.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I feel like an 18 year old ...

Well, you can't have one. [Snigger]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

What's that old joke about you're only as old as the woman you feel?

[Ultra confused]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

[Killing me] Congratulations, anyway, James.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As of today, I have 21 books for sale on amazon. [Yipee] (Link below)

Now to sell some!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Someone dropped in unexpectedly for dinner.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What have I learned so far this January? Hmmm...I now know how to make ghast, enderman and creeper decorations - Thanks to B1.2's 8th birthday party at Chez Banner. Minecraft themed for those wondering.

I have created a pattern for a knitted ball, despite being a non-knitter and being told this was not possible. (Long story).

I have begun collecting family stories to write a "fictorical" account of our often hilarious history. Learning much as I go - including what my dad really did during the war.

[Eek!]

Designwork on various things continues, including a workspace for me, and I am about to head off to a Lay Ministry Conference for the next few days where I hope to learn what the future might hold for BL for the rest of the year. I'll let you know how that goes next week. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
...and I am about to head off to a Lay Ministry Conference for the next few days where I hope to learn what the future might hold for BL for the rest of the year. I'll let you know how that goes next week. [Roll Eyes]

Is that the "Bringing Sydney to Canberra-Goulburn" party up at the Big House?

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Vulpior, you may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Vulpior, you may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment... [Big Grin]

I've had one of those speakers in my house many years ago when he was lead singer for In the Silence. Definitely not silent. Eldest son retrieved a pile of data for them from a dead computer when he was still at school.

Not as straight down the party line all the time as Vulpior may think.

--------------------

Silver Swan
Apprentice
# 17957

- Posted      Profile for Silver Swan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello! I'm from Australia, so I thought I'd check in. I've been looking in here for years, from time to time, ever since my father in law passed away and someone pointed out comments here. His name was Geoffrey Bingham; some may remember him.
I'm not much of an anyone and I agonise over every comment and comma, so I'm not likely to be a prolific poster. [Smile]
God bless you all
Peace.

--------------------
Christ Jesus came to be Immanuel, not a manual.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Welcome Silver Swan, enjoy the voyage. I have sent you a private message.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Swan,
At least one shipmate attended the funeral for your FIL.
Enjoy your time on board.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Silver Swan - good to have another poster from New Zealand's largest off-shore island [Biased] I hope you enjoy your voyage.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Silver Swan
Apprentice
# 17957

- Posted      Profile for Silver Swan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the welcome. I hope not too many move away from me on the bench at mention of my FIL. Is it better that I don't also mention that I ran away to Nimbin and was a full blown hippy for 25 years until my conversion in 1997? Shrug. By the grace of God, I am what I am. Poor, wretched, blind, but safe in God's hand.
I don't get to church often, so I hope for some fellowship on the ship.

--------------------
Christ Jesus came to be Immanuel, not a manual.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Not as straight down the party line all the time as Vulpior may think.

Don't mind me, I'm just a simple ex-evangelical with a massive chip on my shoulder...

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Silver Swan. I'm not far from the most easterly point, and I was part of the Christian counter culture, aka the Jesus movement. A friend has a place in Tuntable Falls.

Welcome aboard.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Don't mind me, I'm just a simple ex-evangelical with a massive chip on my shoulder...
I could probably join you in that quote. Said person or Dr is associated with Ancient History Department at Macquarie Uni, a department top heavy with Christians with impressive academic qualifications. The influence there and of associated Society for Study of Early Christianity tones down other things.

You probably have seen ex-head of the department, Alana Nobbs at SJKS where her husband was a reader, I think. I think they have moved on from there on her retirement. I'm out of reliable touch these days.

[ 17. January 2014, 00:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome aboard, Silver Swan. I was a student of Geoff Bingham at ABI in 1973. He changed my life! I flew to Adelaide for his funeral, because he had made such a lasting impact on me. Wonderful man.
Enjoy the Ship :-)

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Aboard Silver Swan.

Nice to see nother Strine around. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Welcome Silver Swan. I hope you find the voyage lives up to your expectations.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the Ship, Silver Swan - don't worry yourself about posting, most of us don't bite (well, not too hard, and definitely not on first greeting! [Cool]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Swan:
I hope not too many move away from me on the bench at mention of my FIL.

Ooh - an Arlo Guthrie allusion? Oh ... and some of us share in your experience of fathers-in-law with whom we don't necessary want to be identified - however much we respected, loved or not them personally, we ain't them. I had a reasonably well known one, too. And I met yours. And mine knew yours. And so on.

At any rate, welcome. Enjoy the cruise.

[ 18. January 2014, 08:14: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to Silver Swan.... Life is good on the Ship.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Little Miss M came home from hospital late yesterday afternoon after more chemo to make up for a missed dose when she was having other tests done. [Yipee]

Home from hospital is a bit of a euphemism. At least she had her own bed. Four visits to oncology clinic in next six day at her home away from home.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'd imagine that being home, even for a little while, will be good for her. Hope next week's clinic visits go well.

[Votive]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016