homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ugh. So revolting that anyone would do this.

[Votive] Sincere prayers that everyone ends up physically unharmed. And I do mean everyone, including those who should go to jail for a very long time afterwards.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chambers down opposite the Court near SJKS have been locked down as has the Court. People known to us there!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cowardly, pointless thing to do, Sydney, let's not be afraid and let;s not give them the air time.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying it all ends well. So sickening. My youngest brother lives and studies in Sydney but not that area. I have contacted him and he and his partner are safely far away from the scene. Some of my Dad's cousins live there too. Praying for all.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all for your thoughts. I am OK, having been in chambers around 7.15. I don't know what will be happening later on, but imagine we could easily get to Town Hall station via King St if Martin Place is still closed. The clerk's trying to find out. After a lot of talking, the matter I had for hearing today has settled, so although my solicitor and our client are unable to leave yet, the lock down in the court is not affecting me directly.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear from you, Gee D.

My thoughts too Evangeline.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all involved in the Sydney cafe siege.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Found myself saying Psalm 23 over and over in response to what has happened. [Votive]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2:15 am. I just happened to look at the television a few minutes ago to see what was happening, and there was a sudden burst of hostages leaving, followed only a few minutes later by police storming the cafe and firing into it.

Exactly what has happened, we will find out eventually...

EDIT: It very much looks like CPR is being performed on someone. [Votive]

[ 15. December 2014, 14:20: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

One of the 3 television stations currently reporting on this - the one whose studios are directly across from the cafe - is saying that there are 2 deaths. The other stations, which do have reporters nearby, have not stated this.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lord have mercy [Frown]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
#Illridewithyou

In the midst of darkness, hope.

[Sigh] Back to writing [end sigh]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was relieved to see a post on Facebook from a Northern Irish friend who works as a lawyer in Sydney, saying that although her office was locked-down, she's safe and well.

[Votive] for those involved and for the souls of the hostages who were killed.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ghastly morning in Sydney.

In other news, my local ABC radio station is looking for some international voices to do a short message about Christmas, their traditions, and say Merry Christmas. If anyone has an (English-speaking) suggestion, particularly a non-Anglican one, I'd love to hear about it. PM me?

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
#Illridewithyou

I cried when I heard about that. It reminded me of the man leaving the Twin Towers on 9/11 who expressed the hope that that the act woild not lead to war.

Prayers for all affected.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
#Illridewithyou

[Sigh] Back to writing [end sigh]

Son and I met a young Muslim couple living several apartments down from us. They were fitting a security screen door which we are considering. Both were young but the wife was tiny, young and shy. She wore hijab. She would speak to me but not my son.

The door looks great. I am going to write a short note, complimenting him on the installation. Just my version of walking with them.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all victims of the Sydney café siege.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Siege: horrid. Has affected everyone in some way. What has just gone down in Pakistan is also horrid. And evil. Although I expect it will be a media blip compared to the Sydney post-mortem going on, and on, and on. Nor do I expect we will ever be told what really happened when the shots were fired.

The muslim community leader who works alongside my daughter did not go into work yesterday - many did not for fear of reprisals. How sad. And evidence that despite the NSW premier's hyperbole that EVERYONE in NSW stands alongside one another in support, this is patently not so.

I guess I will always remember December 15 now for reasons other than it is our wedding anniversary. But I will be buying Lindt chocolate for Christmas presents this year. My way of riding alongside.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I actually think there has been a really positive swell in community "togetherness" and the fear of reprisals is the same as fear of terrorism-it's giving in to the divisiveness of terrorism and it is much over-stated. I doubt there is a woman in Sydney who hasn't been harrased on public transport-let's say no to ALL of this. I've also been hissed at by 2 women wearing niqab, as I walked down the centre of Melbourne. Let's all ride together against harassment of women and stand strong against violence and creating "otherness'.

The best comment I have heard was from a Muslim community leader who said "Any fool (that's my paraphrase as I can't remember his exact words) can spend $10 on a flag with Islamic writing and get a world stage" SO TRUE, let's keep this in perspective, 1 idiot with a gun representing only his own delusional wickedness.

That siege had little to do with terrorism and everything to do with a disturbed individual with a loooonnng criminal history -unrelated to terrorism feeling he had little to lose. ,We are told our freedoms are being eroded in a climate of politically-motivated fear and yet this person, who wrote abusive letters to soldiers' families, has over 40 charges for indecent and sexual assault was free ON BAIL despite being charged as an accessory to the murder of his wife. We'd be quick to castigate the Police or politicians for a stuff-up that led to death and injury, I'm looking at that judge who decided the individual in question posed no threat to society and should be free on bail.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very sad week. People just going around their usual day and then that. I barely knew Katrina Dawson, but she did have a good reputation in her area - probably silk in a few more years.

Fortunately I was able to work from home yesterday and again today - back in to the city tomorrow. I am not looking forward to walking up Martin Place.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

[Votive]

Is it possible to get train to St James and walk along that way? Not a vast improvement but not directly past Lindt?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you Lothlorien, but to travel to St James would mean a change at either Central or Town Hall, then a trip around and the walk along that unpleasant tunnel. I could have simply walked from Town Hall, as it's not far, but did my usual - off at Wynyard, and then the walk up Martin Place. It's wonderful to see so many flowers there - piled high and getting seemingly higher by the minute.

I was fortunate that the matter I had for the beginning of the week settled, and my client has the result this year; and that I was able to do a couple of days work at home.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Not a pleasant tunnel, as you say.

My sister left flowers yesterday from her daughter and her. She is house sitting at Richmond and unaccustomed to the trains, especially from somewhere like that. She said she just had to go. Took her most of the day to get in and back, when combined with waiting to place them.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to collect some goods from a church in Yarralumla today for a charity stall. Usually the grounds of the Arabian Embassy on the same street are devoid of anything except the enormous satellite dish in it, but today the perimeter was swarming with armed guards. No idea why. Any theories?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Perhaps a cautionary measure after Monday?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The end of the year, finishing today around 3.20. I shall come in next Monday and perhaps Tuesday to attend to a few matters, but no more appearances (barring some emergency). Madame is meeting me in the city for a quiet dinner to celebrate. No closer to deciding how and when to retire, alas, as we continue to work through choices for Madame's business.

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A truly ghastly week. Sydney, and now the children in Cairns. Lord have mercy. [Votive]

Also this week, my mother has been diagnosed with cancer. The outlook is not at all good, so booked on the Christmas Eve flight to Sydney. Blessings upon Fr John for looking after the Christmas services at relatively short notice, and blessings upon all at RNSH for their care of mum, and my sister for being such a stalwart.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all concerned.

Australia doesn't often make world-wide headlines* - how awful that it should happen twice in a week in such tragic circumstances.

* except in cricket and rugby, obviously. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Miss M's counts were down a fortnight ago, so maintenance chemo was tweaked. Down again now and she may be back in hospital over Christmas.

[Votive] [Votive] for all the other nastiness down here right now too.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Miss M's counts were down a fortnight ago, so maintenance chemo was tweaked. Down again now and she may be back in hospital over Christmas.

[Votive] [Votive] for all the other nastiness down here right now too.

Oh, Lord, watch Miss M, and keep her safe from harm. Sending hugs and prayers,

What a sad, sad event in Cairns.

[Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

[Votive] Cairns, just unspeakable.

[Votive] For Miss M.

[Votive] For DD's Mum, DD and his family.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

What Evangeline said. [Votive]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a sports fan, Australia is often on my mind, but recent events have altered that.

[Votive] Australia and all her people.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mum's condition has deteriorated badly, and I have flown down from Darwin today. The Saturday before Christmas is the busiest day of the year for leaving Darwin, and only one ticket was left among the three airlines ($1050 economy!).

Anyway, down here now, and will have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of days. The doctors (correctly) have decided that their treatment will be palliative rather than aggressive.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been there, DD, and although it is 25/26 years ago the memories are just as strong as they were the day it happened.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for D and his mother

and [Votive] That any news from Australia this week may be of peaceful and joyful happenings.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

[Votive] DD

It was nice to see some of Carols in the Domain (In Sydney) on the television last night-I would have liked to have been there but a lingering illness prevented it. A happy crowd whose spirits were undiminished, lots of traditional carols, money being raised for the Salvos, (a whack of promotion for Disney, but watchya gunna do). The Premier and Governor in attendance. Nice!

I often find Peter Fitzsimmons stuff banal but I think he's done a really good job with this, Sydney passes the test. web page

[link corrected - WW]

[ 21. December 2014, 01:35: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Prayers from us for your mother, you, and the rest of your family DD. It is not an easy time at all. Also for Miss M.

It's a beautiful Mid-Summer's Day here. We were up a bit after 6, walking Dog and enjoying the air being cool before a warm day. Summer really is here after a terrible week.

[ 20. December 2014, 20:42: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Prayers continuing for you and your mum, DD, and also for Miss M.

[Votive]

--------------------

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
G'day all. I've been lurking for a couple of days and thought I would pop my head in and say hello.

Hope the Joyous Season isn't destroying too many of you out there!

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
G'day all. I've been lurking for a couple of days and thought I would pop my head in and say hello.

Hope the Joyous Season isn't destroying too many of you out there!

Welcome. Christmas is that time of year when we believe all is sweetness and light. Not necessarily so.

Hospital oncologists are very optimistic that Miss M's T cell count will return to better levels. She is not yet an in- patient and we hope the improvement continues.

Gee D, mmy brother must have missed hearing when we told the rest of family on Saturday. He now knows.

Prayers DD for your mum and your family and also for Mr Curly's family in their bereavement too.

[ 21. December 2014, 22:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

FWIW the "corrected" by admin link in my post above wasn't the one I linked to.

I posted a link to "Sydney ditches cynicism for empathy" which I believe can be found here -works for me anyway. web page

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry about that Evangeline but your original link wouldn't work for me at all so I searched the smh site and thought I'd got the right one.

Apologies.

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Lord I'm tired. But the possibility of losing someone you love at this time of year puts everything in perspective. My prayers too for DD, and Loth - I hope Miss M will bounce back enough for the whole family to enjoy Christmas with her.

My Mum gave me a scare last week with a fall and several days in a wheelchair. Fortunately she is a very determined lady and decided she hated waiting around to be pushed by carers so much that she is now back on her feet. A bit wobbly, but upright despite the pain in her legs. God alone knows if this is the last Christmas she'll see.

Christmas is a bit of a whirlwind with a Christmas Eve dinner for 17 at B2's, serving at midnight mass, a Christmas morning service at the nursing home, then 8 for Christmas lunch and a Boxing Day family picnic in the nursing home rose garden. No idea whether there will be more dramas along the way - there's enough to do without thinking about such probabilities.

So guess what's the only thing on my Christmas list this year for me? Sleep. Lots of it! [Snore]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks for the prayers, BL. She has been sailing along so smoothly that the major drop in T cell levels rattled us all. They are not as low as a few days ago, but still too low.

After Christmas lunch, go into your room and leave instructions you are not to be disturbed. Everyone else is to clean up.

[ 22. December 2014, 19:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The fact that the Curly Mobile is having its brakes fixed and may or may not be ready before Christmas has pushed us close to the edge. Supposed to be leaving for a week in Thredbo on Saturday, but the five of us travelling in the available alternative transport - a Corolla station wagon - is not looking like a lot of fun.

Mr and Mrs Curly Snr have just dropped in empty handed expecting lunch. I'm going for a swim and leaving them to it.

Mrs Curly is supposed to be shopping, but has been caught up at Church kids club with a kid with a finger stuck in a bauble. (she only went there because Biggest forgot to take his guitar.) Honestly.

I have made the "vegetarian" turducken (stuffed butternut pumpkin) ready to cook on Thursday, so the day isn't a total write-off.

[insert maniacal laughter here.]

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Two sons and two children, perhaps one more, are going to ski lodge at Charlotte Pass on Friday for a week. One has been several times and a second cousin manages lodge over summer. They are looking forward to no mobile coverage. Miss 14 does not know about this. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just had two aftershocks. the first was moderate (magnitude 4) and the second was smaller. I'm not feeling happy as I can't find my torch.

I swear I will get my act together and sort out an emergency kit again. [Roll Eyes]

I know they will keep happening, but it's still a shock when they do.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have just heard that Miss M's counts have come up enough to allow her to be out of hospital over Christmas. We are all very thankful.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016