homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, that's great. [Yipee]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Have just heard that Miss M's counts have come up enough to allow her to be out of hospital over Christmas. We are all very thankful.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, [Votive] for you and all the people of Christchurch.

Loth, that's excellent news - long may it continue. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas everyone.

Either it was a quiet night, or I slept through any shaky bits. [Smile] 26c forecast here today.

I'm off to church, then to a friend's place for the day.

Hoping the Curly's have their car fixed for travel.

Huia

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Curly Mobile is back in action and ready for departure on Saturday. The VISA card, on the other hand, did not need that extraneous grand on it this week.

We had a great evening at the Christmas Eve kids musical/service last night. Biggest played guitar in the band, Middle was a Christmas tree and Little Miss had a big speaking part as an angel/narrator. All are playing brass in this morning's service. There will be a six piece brass section, all kids, known as The Horns of Jericho.

Have a great day, everyone!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas greetings to all. In haste – must get to church early as I bring Baby Jesus aka Barbara, life size sleeping doll aged 77.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas all.

25 degrees here already at 9am - we've been out for a walk and said hello to lots of people, agreeing that its going to be a scorcher!

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas to all. We had the usual magnificent midnight Eucharist last night, the choir singing some of the Missa Aeterna by Palestrina, and our normal setting for others. Now up and about, gifts exchanged and enjoying a good cup of tea, peacefully watching the grass grow.

That's not good news Huia, and prayers for you in the uncertainty of it all. We are glad that Miss M was able to stay home at least for last night, and wake with her family not in an impersonal hospital ward.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unless she sickens or gets an infection,she has a fortnight not in hospital. We are very thankful.

Beautiful morning on central coast at son's place. Light breeze,sunshine, sparkling water on Brisbane Water. Croissants and bubbly being prepared by Master 9 who is a dab hand at slicing ham well. We all believe here in teaching children how to cook and help in kitchen.

[ 24. December 2014, 22:34: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
... 25 degrees here already at 9am ...

This northerly little piglet can't get her head around the idea of Christmas in temperatures like that. Come to think of it, I can't get my head round the idea of anything in temperatures like that ... [Big Grin]

I'm just messing around here while waiting to go and sing at the Midnight Mass - hope you're all having a wonderful day.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Happy Christmas all.

25 degrees here already at 9am - we've been out for a walk and said hello to lots of people, agreeing that its going to be a scorcher!

In Darwin I would have thought that was a chilly start to the day at this time of the year ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Merry Christmas from Sydney's southern edges.

6pm - 23 degrees, and raining solidly (thunderstorm)

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mild day, grey skies, happy hearts....

A lovely day! Friends staying with me. A great church service. Brunch at home. Good gifts. . And now we are all at the beach, with other friends, and oh! I am on vacation, we are drinking good wine, eating yummy food.....

Hope your day was equally great,

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly not in Darwin - midnight mass at the church where I did my ordination training, a couple of visits to the hospital to see mum, and a fairly subdued Christmas lunch with Dad and the family to discuss palliative care options. Hope to head back to the Top End on NYE.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas greetings from the mild and showery capitol. At least we have not had to worry about bushfire warnings this year, although the smell of smoke from the fires around Yass was very prominent until yesterday.

The chaos that is Christmas has abated a little. Having 6 of 7 cousins together was lovely. Some positive signs of better understandings has happened cross generationally - the miracle of Christmas!

Midnight service was lovely with MM directing the choir at The Church With the Pond. Silent Night sung in German for the first verse was delightful, as was the Vivaldi recessional.
BL as liturgical assistant for the first time at a big service there did not stuff up despite being stupidly tired. I therefore slept extremely well afterwards, and survived another service and three Christmas Day family functions okay - although I was wishing I'd put a Cone of Silence on my Christmas list by the end.

At one point I turned to TP and said "What have we started?"
He raised an eyebrow and replied that he hoped I realised it was only going to get larger each year, as each of our girls establish their own households and traditions.

Note to self: improve stamina by next year!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

At one point I turned to TP and said "What have we started?"
He raised an eyebrow and replied that he hoped I realised it was only going to get larger each year, as each of our girls establish their own households and traditions.

Note to self: improve stamina by next year!

Believe me – there comes a time when the next generation takes over the organisation/catering. One of life's great milestones.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not only the organisation and catering, although I have contributed to that this year, but also the cleaning up and stashing away of leftovers.

Last night, two sons and five gandchildren were here. One son did roast pork with all the trimmings. However, the intergenerational thing kicked in and eldest grandson washed up while youngest wiped. Fifteen, almost sixteen and just nine.

This is the first place I have lived in for forty years or so which does not have a dishwasher.

[ 25. December 2014, 20:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Arleigh
Shipmate
# 5332

- Posted      Profile for Arleigh   Email Arleigh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's what's been happening at our place for the last few years (ever since our girls moved in next door) and it's been blissful.

Now, to Boxing Day with the extended family - after our snooze-and-no-booze Christmas Day, this will be the part-ay.

Hope all Aussie Shipmates had a peaceful Christmas Day (with a shout-out to Brizmates, now scattered far & wide).

♥Arleigh

(ETA: reply to GG about the next generation taking over)

[ 25. December 2014, 20:43: Message edited by: Arleigh ]

Posts: 388 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary Chrysanthemums to y'all ... some sanity returning to a kuru-zappa household after an exhausting few days. I watched Dr Who for most of the day, walked the dogs en famille, then watched Top Gear.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

A nice touch at the Christmas Day service. A small packet marked "for Baby Jesus" was found by the manger. The (visiting) minister asked the children what might be a suitable gift. Sure enough, it was what we oldies knew as a stretch-and-gro (baby onesie? – which he then handed to Madeleine, whose first child is due next week.

GG

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Turducken was good, the "vege turducken" was better, the twin Bombe Alaskas (Bombes Alaska?) sublime. Offspring played brass in a 10 piece band in the 9 am service.

Christmas - Tick.

We're on the road today, heading south to Thredbo for a week with a large family group staying in a ski lodge. Let there be relaxing.

Best wished to all

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Christmas greetings to all. In haste – must get to church early as I bring Baby Jesus aka Barbara, life size sleeping doll aged 77.

GG

Happy Christmas to all. I ended up having to buy a Baby Jesus on Christmas Eve. The first one I picked up in the shops I discovered was a weeing, crying, talking one. Decided the chances of that going wrong was slightly too high… so ended up with some other ugly doll. Luckily it wasn't so ugly that it made the Virgin Mary cry in the Nativity Play.

I also have a quiz for you. If you were the organist and decided to have a vicious power-play with the effective music director on any day of the year which would you choose:

1. Any other holy day of the year when it wouldn't matter so much and when there might be time to resolve things; or
2. Christmas Day, the day when we sing about peace and hope and joy and 'God and sinners reconciled' through the miracle of the incarnation?

[brick wall]

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope the day wasn't too traumatic Anglican Rascal. Of course one has to choose a high stakes day to make your point with a power play. Here's hoping things are resolved by Easter [Biased]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best wishes to all for the new year. This morning I packed up and froze all remaining turkey meat, stuffing, spiced beef and turkey stock. We will be going to a friend's to see in 2015 and then heading to Sydney for a few days.

If you see two people walking between Bradley's Head and Manly (or vice versa; haven't decided which way yet), one taller and keen, the other shorter and grumbling, then it could be us. Alternatively we will be at the sales or hunting out gelato.

Hopefully to the Railway Mission for High Mass on Sunday morning.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Gelato? The best in the world, according to competition results, comes from Cow and Moon, halfway up Enmore Road Newtown. It's a while since I had gelato there, but it is very good. Coffee also is excellent. Up from Enmore Theatre and on other side of road.

Then adjourn for lunch over the road to Sultan's Table. Good cheap food and great service. I've been there many times and service has always been pleasant and prompt. Great dips. Get a mixed platter, some chicken and perhaps lamb. BYO or buy at pub bottle shop. A couple in immediate vicinity.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may be a bit early for an epiphany, but I came to the blessed realisation late this morning that while Christmass may be completely OTT for the next few years, New Year's Eve will be delightfully quiet, as no progeny I know would ever desire to spend it with their fast getting Aged Parents.

And indeed they all have plans, for which I heartily thank Disco Jesus. I am also grateful to B4 for introducing me to this manifestation of the Lord of Light. The Disco Jesus Christmas card is my favourite, and I suspect it may have to be on display all year. Yay for Disco Jesus!

And may we all transition into better things in 2015. I believe in miracles (ear worming a disco beat).
[Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I am also looking forward to a quiet evening. Two sons at Charlotte Pass and the other at Picton. I can see the fireworks from my balcony with a better view of bridge from roof garden but may well be asleep by then.

This week has been blissfully quiet and I have been recharging my batteries after a week of minding grandchildren on Central Coast and other sundry noisy matters.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Very quiet here, but keeping tabs on Son and his acquired teenage family via DiL's facebook page. It is really cool to have the next generation enjoying the Happy Place at Matarangi, acquired 28 years ago. Even the younger family from Canada love 'Gran and Grandad's beach house', especially living inland as they do.

Current post indicates that Son and 13-year-old went snorkelling after which Son required stitches following an encounter involving a stingray and a log.

GG

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Ouch!

The first live concert since the 2011 quake is taking place in the Square tonight. I'm glad it's happening, but very relieved not to be there. I don't like crowds or loud noises.

No doubt one of the neighbours will let off some crackers at midnight.

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Heck, I was prepared for a few bangs, but it sounds like the Battle of the Somme out there.

Happy New Year everyone.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year!

In keeping with Ship tradition old regional threads die on the last of the year and then new threads appear when anyone so minded starts the next.

I'll miss this thread but I'm sure a sooper-dooper new thread will soon takes its place.

Go to it, Shipmates.

WW - AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016