homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats James!!!

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coming out of lurkerdom to say how happy I am for you, James! Congratulations!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
James – congratulations, prayers, and all good wishes to you both for a long and happy life together.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hearty congratulations, James - every reason to be even more confident now with regards to life!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations James. Lovely news for a Monday morning.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
... the locals were very surprised when this Anglican explained why it's perfectly okay to thank God for St.Pat ...

Because he sort of was an Anglican - the church that he founded grew to become the Church of Ireland, before the Roman missionaries* went to Ireland. Also, most of his mission was in what is now Northern Ireland; when we lived there we liked to think that he was the Secretary of the Select Vestry at Saul, near Downpatrick ... [Big Grin]

Also, huge congratulations to James and the future Mrs. Confident! [Yipee]

* The Roman Catholic church in Ireland is sometimes playfully referred to as "the Italian Mission".

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] Congratulations James [Yipee] How exciting!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations James

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WoW James [Yipee]

Sorry it's so late - I was shipless yesterday.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is just incredible and has to stop.

Miss M's older sister fell at school a week ago. Result was a greenstick fracture of left wrist. Full cast was put on only yesterday after swelling subsided.

She was leap frogging another girl at Girls' Brigade last night. Don't ask, I don't know whether this was approved and supervised or just something they were doing.

Right arm now has back cast from hand to above elbow, waiting for swelling to subside for full cast to go on. She's normally intelligent and sensible. Someone suggested her sub conscious was devising ways of receiving attention now Miss M has been getting lots.

Picture here.

Accidentally posted this in Depression thread. My apologies.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For Miss M, miss M's sister and all involved [Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for both girls Lothlorien!

I once had three brothers in my Scout troop. Their mother had to rush to the childrens hospital Emergency with one boy each on 3 consecutive nights. I forget now what the first two had done but I remember that the third had placed his hand on a table and dared his brothers to try to hit it with rocks. He lost.

The last time she barely got out of the hospital without child abuse charges but the boys were credible and as she told the nurse The three of them share the brain of a flea!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to James and MsConfidential.
I'll buy you a drink at the SCA conference if you are still going.

Prayers for the girls, Lothlorien.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Lothlorien and the girls.

My younger niece had no fear when she was little and was always falling off things and breaking bones; I think at one stage she had an arm and a leg in plaster at the same time, and yes - my sister was beginning to worry that the staff at A & E were thinking the unthinkable.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cyclone Lusi obviously blew the pigeons off course: congratulations, James!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grrrr! I have just tried to contact the pastor of the church where Miss T was when she broke her arm at Girls' Brigade. I'm not angry but am very upset. The family has enough to deal with.

The arm is too swollen for a definitive diagnosis. There could be a break ten centimetres above elbow. Possibly one the same distance below elbow and possibly both shadows are breaks.

I have poked around in a dozen different ways and can find no email for the church. The phone number on each of those sites rings out.

Miss T had permanent plaster for break done at school last Monday. She went to Girls' Brigade that night. She and her sister have gone for years and love it.

According to her dad, they were using a small trampoline to be a springboard to leapfrog over another girl. The leader at this activity was assured by Miss T that she would be fine , so she allowed her to do it. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I am trying to find some way to communicate and to say that leadership does not always mean allowing the underlings to do what they want. Sometimes tough decisions have to be enforced. This leader was lacking in various ways as far as I can see. His leadership selection may need tightening and it appears that more training is definitely needed for those chose,.

The kid is in a lot of pain still. Has two knuckles visible on left hand and none on right with a cast almost to her shoulder Everyday activity is virtually impossible for her right now, including very basic activities like feeding and cleaning herself.

As I said, not angry but very upset.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor Miss T. When I saw the picture you posted, the first thing I thought was "how on earth is she going to go to the loo?"

While no-one would blame you for wanting to blame the GB leader, they've probably been doing the trampolining thing for years with no consequences whatsoever, and what happened to Miss T. was a (very) unlucky accident. When my niece went back to gym class after one of her breaks (I think she was about five at the time), the teacher told my sister that she made a bee-line for the wall-bars - the thing she fell off in the first place - completely devoid of fear.

Prayers continuing for all of you. [Votive]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien. I would be angry.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Lothlorien. I would be angry.

I have emailed the organisation for the club. Pointed out that duty of care and safety trumps being considered nice any day. Also said perhaps more training may help prevent such accidents in the future.

And have come inside and listened to some meditative readings accompanied by the sounds of a creek.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Congratulations to James and MsConfidential.
I'll buy you a drink at the SCA conference if you are still going.

Prayers for the girls, Lothlorien.

I'm still going. I'll hold you to the drink! [Big Grin]

Thank you all for your congratulations, I am over the moon. As I said FD is coming to Melbourne to marry us. What a lovely man he is.

Loth., I think it is time your troubles stopped too. You seem to have a huge burden to bear, thoughts and prayers ascending.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Will be delighted to meet you and buy you that drink. I'll see if I can get LKKspouse along.

Clarence also is lovely.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
As I said FD is coming to Melbourne to marry us.

That's so greedy. Besides, I thought he was already married.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
As I said FD is coming to Melbourne to marry us.

That's so greedy. Besides, I thought he was already married.
[Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'd heard that some parts of the Australian church were rather different from the rest of us, but I didn't realise they were quite that different ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're right Piglet, they're a weird mob over there [Two face]

The Christchurch City Council is having to hold back on some spending due to a smaller budget because of fewer ratepayers. So far the scheme to clean up the Heathcote - the river at the end of my street - has had a funding cut and the safer cycleways have been put off for 3 years [Mad]

If they do anything to hold back on the new central library I will chain myself to some railings (if I can find some).

Cycle accidents have already increased since the quakes and the Heathcote is the most polluted river in NZ [Waterworks] Cancel the covered sports stadium I say! (but not too loudly or I'd probably be lynched).

Huia

[ 26. March 2014, 09:10: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You're in good company, Huia - St. John's city council laid off two-thirds of their snow-plough operators the week before we got 8 inches of snow ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Good Ship Curly seems to be sailing with a favourable breeze.

I have this week secured the services of two fabulous young men to play the leads in the Good Friday procession I'm directing for Wesley Mission. It will be tight, but we'll make it.

Middle is improving, and is applying himself to his school work and the catching up process with all due diligence.

Through nothing other than asking, I have secured for myself a one hour interview on one of the preeminent podcasts in the indie publishing world. It's some time away, but will be a huge boost to my profile etc.

Then, yesterday I took a call from a certain august boys school not far from home ( Gee D I think you know the one) offering Biggest a full scholarship for Year 11 and 12. We are somewhat taken aback, he's rather pleased with himself.

Feeling quite overwhelmed with blessings.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is excellent news all around Mr Curly. Shall Biggest by playing rugby as well as cricket?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
That is excellent news all around Mr Curly. Shall Biggest by playing rugby as well as cricket?

I understand the school is moving towards taking AFL more seriously, with a trial game actually happening this Sunday against Biggest's club team. That will be his winter game, I suspect.

mr curly

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What! AFL!

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow awesome news Mr C. Without delving into the finer details too much was there a process like the year 7 scholarship system or is this more akin to the headhunting process?
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Wow awesome news Mr C. Without delving into the finer details too much was there a process like the year 7 scholarship system or is this more akin to the headhunting process?

Pretty much as for Yr 7, but many fewer applicants, as far as we could tell from attendance at the exam.

mr curly

PS Don't be too concerned about AFL, Gee D. I'm sure they want him bowling at first change for the first XI in 2015/16, and for his music.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wasn't AFL originally developed to keep cricketers fit and happy in the winter season?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes, he will bring those qualities to school, but why not play rugby, the game they play in heaven. BTW, what instrument is he playing now? My recollection is that years ago it was the euphonium.

GG - AFL may be ok for Melbourne and places like that, but not here. Then again, there was a game of baseball on the SCG the other day - the power of the almighty dollar.

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why not play rugby, the game they play in heaven.

You realize I'm now going to spend days working out which position each archangel plays?!

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Congratulations to him, Mr Curly.

I do find the thought of AFL a bit strange.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Biggest stopped trumpet coincident with getting braces. He's doing 8th grade on piano, and currently playing guitar in the Stage Band. He wants to learn double bass and is pestering me to get same AS WELL AS a drum kit. He's apparently starting two rock bands with him on guitar in one and drums in another.

Meeting with Head of Music at new school this week to plan ahead.

Middle is the eupho player.

Just finished a 10,000 word novella set in 2018 called "Botox Apocalypse." No zombies, though. Next I've got to work on a novel I'm writing with a mate that needs a structural edit. Today's big question is whether or not it will be classified as "Christian literature", as this will influence how we finish it off.

And send a few resumes out for some more paying work.

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
why not play rugby, the game they play in heaven.

I'm not going there then!

Just had a plumber in to look at renovating the shower and putting one of those lights that also provide warmth into the bathroom as it's really cold since the heater there gave up the ghost. We haven't had a frost yet this year, but yesterday morning was uncomfortably close.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear things are working out better, Mr. Curly. [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks for sorting that out Mr Curly. I knew there was a euphonium there somewhere, but have never heard of a music scholarship for it. Piano is much better. You could try and raise some money to buy a Stuart and Sons piano, and be loved by the music department forever.

Garasu, it's very simple. The Father is patron of both teams. His Throne moves up and down the sidelines to keep abreast of the play, the cherubim having been specially trained to move sideways at the ground, not every one straight forward. Of the archangels. Michael is the referee, wielding his mighty sword if needed to keep play moving. Gabriel looks after the PA system and does all the announcements of course. Raphael and Uriel look after the sidelines. Lucifer was sin-binned so long ago that no-one remembers - in fact so long ago that there was no so long ago. Each game ends in a draw.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

The way I heard it was that the fields are so smooth that when you slide you never get a rash and the Welsh always beat the English. [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Are there English in heaven? None of them Lions, I'd warrant. As for the X school - there's an extra priest on duty winter Saturdays to hear the 1sts' confessions.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Are there English in heaven?

I sincerely hope so - if I'm going to end up there I want my Better Half to be there too. [Big Grin]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Are there English in heaven?

I sincerely hope so - if I'm going to end up there I want my Better Half to be there too. [Big Grin]
I reckon a couple of them may get in--just. [Two face]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Thanks for sorting that out Mr Curly. I knew there was a euphonium there somewhere, but have never heard of a music scholarship for it. Piano is much better. You could try and raise some money to buy a Stuart and Sons piano, and be loved by the music department forever.

It's an "Allrounder" scholarship, with no particular expectations on music or sport participation. Still pinching self.

Little Miss, absent from recent dispatches, is now 2/2 at netball this year. Last year they won 3 all season, and one win in each of the prior years. They seem to be enjoying themselves bit more in the lower grade.

Have mowed the lawn, and will now be pottering around until our favourite family comes over for home-made burgers, icecreams and a movie(for the kids) tonight.

Tomorrow, we're hosting our niece's 8th birthday party. It should be fun, apart from the fact that the reason we're doing it is her mother's Motor Neuron Disease. We're aiming to make it BIG!!

mr curly

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks for sorting that out. I assume he starts at the beginning of nest year Yr 11? You'll all have a new vocabulary to learn, along with the pleasures of long drives on Saturdays to sport. At least he's plenty old enough to get himself to and from school - and perhaps find it necessary to change trains at Pymble or Gordon.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Have they finally stopped calling year 11 5th form GeeD?

[ 30. March 2014, 10:08: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

AFAIK, yes. I can't tell you the time it finally changed, but changed it has.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

What a day! Left home at sparrow's to play in church this morning. Middle and two of his buddies playing in the band as well.
Then home to host the party for my niece, then pick up Biggest from AFL. Then back to church for a drama rehearsal. Next was our once a term open mic afternoon, played for 3 songs from Good Friday production. Kids all played in various combos. Did I play in church tonight after that? Yes, I did.
I am officially "tired and shagged out after a long squawk."

On the travel front, Biggest headed off to Artarmon OC in Year 5, so traveling is a snip for him.

mr curly

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Travelling is possibly more interesting at 16 than 10.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016