homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A shiny new thread for the new year.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
still having my NYE morning coffee (and contemplating more shoveling!) but a very joyous and prosperous New Year to those ahead of me!

and remember, spare your dogs the New Year Trauma! my dog once took down a freakin' wall on new years.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to those (at this point in time, anyway) north of me!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wishing all my chums South of the Border a happy New Year. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
or *ahem* west of the border.... [Biased]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
Happiest of new year's greetings. I am sucking on coffee still flavored for Christmas.

I have never been so cold. I have told my family I am running away to Savannah, Georgia until spring. (I am only in North Carolina, ha ha ha)

Please weather gods, I beg an early and sunny spring!

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woke up this morning to a beautiful, crisp, clear, sunny morning. I'm loafing around in my jammies, drinking coffee and ironically, fighting the urge to do house work. This urge hits me almost never. I'm neatness challenged. It doesn't bother me one bit to live like a frat boy, picking up just enough clutter and debris to make a pathway from fridge, to reclyiner, to bedroom. My husband is a long-suffering, patient man. The irony is that, herebouts, New Year's Day is the one day of the year when you're not supposed to do any menial chores. The saying goes that what you do on the first of the year, you will be doing all year long. So, you do things you love, things that are fun and fulfilling. What you don't do is laundry, or cleaning, or dusting.

I finally have the perfect excuse to spend the day hanging out with friends and I want to clean. Something clearly is very very wrong with me [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year Ship Mates. I am fixing black eyed peas and greens to go with our roast chicken. I am not very fond of the peas but fear my DNA and the southern gods of bad fortune if I fail to consume them on New Years Day.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
or *ahem* west of the border.... [Biased]

Absolutely. Happy new year, Comet! [Hot and Hormonal]

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
The saying goes that what you do on the first of the year, you will be doing all year long.

I am finding this way too late in the day. I hope to heaven I won't be cleaning the basement and shoveling snow all year. There's gotta be 8" out there with another 6 due overnight.

I can hear comet laughing at that.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year everyone. I spent the day sleeping mostly, after spending the night at a friend's house, up all night nibbling noshes and watching That's Entertainment on TV. Now home again, and hanging out comfortably with my cats.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The usual freaky New Year's here. This time a midnight call for an old lady who had died at home under less than ideal circumstances, and her family was attempting to get her cremated (no funeral) immediately, though her closest grandchild was hospitalized and would have to go AWOL from the hospital to see her for the last time. I have.no.clue what was driving these people to get her underground (so to speak) so quickly. Spent three hours sorting crap out with the family and the hospital. Husband off right now trying to continue same in person.

I really, really HOPE I won't be doing this crap all year! [Eek!]

[ 02. January 2014, 01:32: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
The saying goes that what you do on the first of the year, you will be doing all year long.

I am finding this way too late in the day. I hope to heaven I won't be cleaning the basement and shoveling snow all year. There's gotta be 8" out there with another 6 due overnight.

I can hear comet laughing at that.

not laughing. it's all relative. got a foot last night and then rain. it's a nightmare out there. We broke our December record at 95 inches in the month. ninety-five!!!

and on that note, if Bess is right I'll be shoveling and driving on terrifying roads all year. GREAT.

--------------------

Oscar P.
Shipmate
# 10412

- Posted      Profile for Oscar P.   Email Oscar P.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A somewhat belated Happy New Year from cold St. Louis! We've had a light snowfall overnight and I'm trying to motivate myself to go shovel the driveway.

It sounds like many of us are having a cold, snowy winter thus far. Supposed to be a high of 3 degrees coming our way on Monday! [Eek!]

Posts: 93 | From: Gateway to the West | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cold, yes. Snow, decidedly not. But then, snow in Alabama is grounds for all of society to collapse. The Birmingham news stations rush to the Piggly Wiggly grocery store in Homewood (which is actually where the stations are located) to do interviews with people who are buying bread and milk -- who invariably look as though they just rolled out of bed. Schools all close, except for that one private school that perversely stays open, just to confuse everyone, and people immediately start having wrecks on the freeway at the sight of one solitary snowflake. Rednecks in their four-wheel-drive Jeeps and pickup trucks get out to cruise the streets, hoping that they can pull stuck cars out of the ditch (or possibly get themselves stuck in the same ditch).

It amuses me when Virginians, Midwesterners, and especially New Englanders start complaining about summertime "heat" and "humidity". But then we give them the same enjoyment when the faintest flurry dusts across the South. So it all equals out, I suppose.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OH NO, According to BessHiggs,

"New Year's Day is the one day of the year when you're not supposed to do any menial chores. The saying goes that what you do on the first of the year, you will be doing all year long. So, you do things you love, things that are fun and fulfilling. What you don't do is laundry, or cleaning, or dusting."

My New Years was 4 loads of clothes, ironing, cleaning after 3 men. polishing furniture, sewed, did my "Moon seed Planting", JB cut wood for the fireplace and I made a turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and green bean casserole.
Then, of course, JB's day was ruined with the Stanford game. [Tear]

I think I'm scr***d for the New Year! [Help]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year! We took a mini-vacation up to Traverse City, Michigan, one of my favorite small cities. We usually vacation north of there, on the nearby Leelanau Peninsula, but we thought we'd hang out in town for once. I'm glad we did, even though the weather did not cooperate (temperatures below zero Fahrenheit during much of our stay, preventing us from doing a lot of on-foot exploring).

Traverse City has the best of both worlds: The natural beauty of the bay/Lake Michigan and surrounding land (dunes, forests, rolling countrysides filled with orchards, vineyards and, increasingly, hops farms), and the cosmopolitan flavor of a much bigger city. The foodie culture there is tremendous, thanks to all the specialty farmers and food artisans who live in the area, and whether your tastes run toward old-skool diners or, say, Latin-Asian fusion, you can find a pleasing restaurant. The wine scene is huge and getting bigger as the regional wines win awards and fans outside our state; there's also been an upsurge in microbreweries in the area; I think we counted five this trip. There's a lively nighttime music/nightlife culture downtown. Culture vultures can find museums, art galleries and serious music venues. Outdoor recreation is a four-seasons thing and involves everything from kayaking to golfing to skiing. And TC is also a very kid-friendly town; there's a children's museum, an interactive permanent exhibit at the local public art gallery, a children's boating school down the highway in Suttons Bay, numerous child-centric businesses and activities all year long.

If people know about Traverse City at all they may associate it exclusively with the National Cherry Festival in July; but there's also an increasingly well regarded film festival in August and a comedy festival later in the year.

One thing I realized this trip, that I was only dimly aware of before, was that the town is getting large enough to develop its own commercial neighborhoods with distinctive flavors. We really enjoy Old Town, a kind of emerging neighborhood south of the main drag, and the Warehouse District west of downtown.

Oh...and Traverse City has its own regional airport so visitors don't have to drive all the way from larger airports downstate. To me it would be well worth paying a bit more to fly there directly.

(By the way, I am not an agent for the local Chamber of Commerce, LOL...I just really, really like this place.)

Anyway...we had a good time and did some helpful recon for the next time we can get the kids back to Michigan for a family vacation.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a dusting of snow last night. I have never experienced a winter here with so little snow, and I'm not complaining.

The temperatures, however, are something else. It usually hits 0°F about once every five years. The predicted low for Tuesday is -5°F. Fortunately I brought a lot of warm clothes with me when I moved back here from New Hampshire.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just seen the weather conditions on BBC News over here - hope everyone in affected areas are safe...
[Votive]

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have friends currently flying between rainy stormy Britain and snowy stormy northeast US. Their plane should be arriving in Newark shortly - but how they are to get from there to New Haven is another matter.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think naming the winter storms by the weather service is funny.

The one in the east is called Hercules! I'm guessing people who are seeing it are saying it was a bit herculean! [Eek!]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, will I get keelhauled for complaining about our weather today? I think the high was only 55! We are freezing!!!

It's 49 degrees right now!!

I want my blankey.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

So sorry, Judy, that you are cold. [Mad]

I left the house the other day with 4 layers of clothing and I am miserable here with the cold. The wind was the bad thing. Actually, the weather people say we are unreasonably warm! (In the 40's) But I'll take some warmer temperatures, please.
One good thing, no snow yet, but we hear we might get some this weekend.

I hope you get warm quickly! [Biased]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh.Joy. Six to ten inches predicted this weekend, just when the workmen are supposed to be putting up drywall in the living room and fixing the ancient plaster. Just.Why?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
15 degrees here in beautiful New York city. Not sure how many inches we got but there's a nice thick coating of white out there.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
-7 F on the patio thermometer this morning...we had a sunny day so it eventually warmed up into positive numbers, but they were still in single digits. Living in Michigan, this isn't really an unexpected thing though.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... I have never experienced a winter here with so little snow, and I'm not complaining ...

I've never experienced one with so much, and I am. [Waterworks]

We're in the middle of a blizzard that's forecast to drop about another foot on the two or three feet we already had; it's almost obliterated the nice little path that Kind Neighbour* dug out in front of our house, and it's nowhere near finished yet ... [Help]

* D. buys him ciggies and gives him lifts when he asks, and he shovels our snow. I think we get the better deal. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a very mild winter in 2012-13, and BOY are we making up for it! Over a foot of snow this past week, to be followed by an Arctic blast. It's not supposed to get above zero on Monday.

I'm a bit crazed here. I'm aiming to put the house on the market by the end of the month. The painters have begun working and the floor guy starts on the 13th. I have recruited some strapping lads from church to come by tomorrow and spend an hour moving furniture for me (some of it out to the garage and some of it out to the alley for pickup). We have a small window of semi-nice weather tomorrow but I still feel bad that I'm asking them to do this work in the cold. God bless 'em. And God bless my dear son and his partner, who will also be here over the weekend to help me clean out the basement. [Help]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I make any comment about the weather here you'll all shout at me, so I won't.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I won't shout, but I'll do this. Pfffft-----> [Razz]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

wanna laugh at me, Weasel? looks like I'll be in your part of the world in August.

I'm fairly sure I'll wilt before I'm even off of the airplane.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're coming this way in August be sure to bring an umbrella, or we can lend you one or they are cheap enough to buy one on arrival [but not at the airport!].

If you are coming closely this way let us know.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I'm counting on the rain to keep me sane.

I'm going (possibly, maybe, not a sure thing yet) to Delhi. So I don't think I'll be close enough to harass you. More's the pity - I'm chaperoning a group of kids! got room at your place for 5 pale, chattery uncouth Alaskan preteens and their chaperones and teacher? [Biased]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We could put the kids in the shed, I suppose.

Delhi is a LONG way from here. There is loads to see but, to be honest, I'm not big on Big Cities. Have you considered Ritalin, not for the kids but the adults and the teacher?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

my son's science class did research on bald eagle habitat and how it may be effected by new road construction proposed to go through the Council Grounds, here. The class was then invited to present their research at an international science symposium in Delhi in August. Super cool, and I'm so proud of them!

So the teacher asks the parents who wants to chaperone. We all said yes. so she's trying to find a way to bring one parent per kid. I'm not counting on it, of course. but wouldn't it be AWESOME?!?

and the plus side is that the adults would outnumber the kids. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

What a fantastic opportunity, comet. And good for those kids -- you must be proud of them!

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's beyond cold for here, it's freakin-frackin-freezing! My thermometer says it's 1 out side, and there's a nice little wind kicking up out there as well. I'll be stayin in today, I think. Hubby, bless his heart, went duck hunting this morning.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re-watched "The Day after Tomorrow" during the Christmas/New Year holidays. Good job it's fantasy.

Currently in bed with some sort of crap winter virus which is making me cough fit to bust. Third January on the trot for this kind of lurgy.

Happy New Year to all in the USA who are enduring or enjoying your winter weather! Apple pie is good comfort food when you're feeling crap, or even when you aren't. And the baseball season (and my annual reconnection with California and the Giants) is not too far away. Thank God!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If it's any comfort to those of you who are shivering (not you, Wodders) we had no electricity for most of Saturday and a chunk of Sunday evening, and the temperature was in the -12°C region.

Oh yes, and for many (including us) electricity is our only source of heat.

**brrrrrrrr**

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Lucky you Comet, when my daughter went to an international science competition the finals were held here in the US, though she did get to go to Georgia. Congratulations to the kids and you.

The weather here is not that cold yet but getting colder ominously.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chance to see a rocket launch from the (North-)East Coast tomorrow.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful [ or...Wodderful] lol news comet. What a chance! I think the trip will be a significant event in your son's life. And yours!

I know you're all sick & tired of weather reports, BUT it was 0° F at 7 AM here. About 20 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line in PA. Windows are all iced. Afraid I'm gonna have to buy more heating oil soon.

Stay safe, everyone. And piglet: I was looking @ pics of Newfieland yesterday. Huge piles of snow. I pray your electric will stay on, at least.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brrrr! I have my sweater on today. At least it didn't freeze last night, but the orchids are inside anyway.

Up to 42 outside, now! Looking forward to Thursday when it should be about 80.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The temperature this morning was -4°F; the windchill was -23°F. Tomorrow morning's low is predicted to be +8°F; the next day's low is supposed to be 22°F.

In other words, the worst is behind us.

My warm clothes from New Hampshire are coming in very handy.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
North Eastern Illinois looks awful! Take care, all around there. And elsewhere where the cold and wind are causing havoc.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It certainly wasn't particularly pleasant standing at the bus stop! But honestly another day inside and I would have killed someone!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

just for contrast, I would like it to please get a little bit colder. not crazy, mind. just a few degrees. the freezing rain and icy roads suck suck suck suck suck. I have cabin fever. and today I go back to work, which will fix the cabin fever, but it means having to drive down the big hill to town. and pray I can stop at the bottom.

GRR!

I'm donating ten extra degrees to some worthy Lower 48 location. takers?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It shot up to +9°C (I think that's about 48°F) today; it rained and some of the snow disappeared. Sadly it didn't stay up there for long enough to get rid of all that much.

Now the temperature's gone back to 0°C and is heading rapidly southwards, so any good that's been done will be undone leaving the pavements littered with patches of treachery ... [Frown]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
the BBC reported:
quote:
Temperature records have tumbled across North America, as a big freeze saw sub-zero cold in all 50 US states.
Wow. I didn't know it was freezing in Hawaii.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

hmm.... I suspect that's hooey. Marmot would have said something, as would my other HI friends.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016