homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried finding it online myself before I posted but failed. So here are the lyrics as I remember them:

"Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars,
Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus,
Neptune and Pluto,
The wandering stars..."

It was the tune that really made it memorable,very bouncy and catchy. Should we ever meet, remind me and I'll sing it for you.

[ 09. February 2014, 10:58: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've edited the above post to quote just the first verse of the song just in case of copyright violation. Sorry about that but think you may be able to find an alternative method of sharing that doesn't run the same rick.

WW - AS Host.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are having such a strange Fall/Winter season. October was cold. November and December much warmer than usual. January was cold!!! [Eek!] So far in February, we've been over 80 degrees all but one day.

We just hope it doesn't freeze now, since the fruit trees are blooming and leafed out. Love the mangoes, but the blooms put sharp, pokey boulders in my eyes. Don't need to have them freeze then bloom again.

Here endeth the whine.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a huge swath of pink (ice) on the weather map, from South Carolina all the way to Louisiana. Those poor souls. By tonight the system will have moved up the coast to the mid-Atlantic & Northward. The grocery stores are delighted with 12 inch snowfall predictions.

We've had rather deep snow cover for almost two months. I'm sick of it. Plus the single digit lows almost every night. The oil company is also delighted.

I know, you're all tired of the whinging about the weather. I'm glad Easter is well into April this year !

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
South Carolina's snow featured on the Canadian Weather Channel this morning; I always imagined you were more-or-less too far south for lots of snow. Shows how much I know, eh?

It's been v. cold (by Newfoundland standards anyway) here for the last wee while - actual temperatures in minus teens Celsius and wind-chills in minus twenties.

Never mind - it's going up to +5°C on Friday with more snow ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's snowing here right now. We may get as much as 14 inches, or we may not.

Predicting precipitation in the mountains is always tricky.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to a weather man on TV this evening, the extraordinary amounts of wind and rain we are getting in the UK are all part of the system that's giving you all the cold and snow across the pond. Can't we all get together and do something about it?!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If only, PP. [Big Grin]

It looks as if we're going to get the tail-end of Moo's storm at the weekend, although it's hard to predict how much rain/snow/whatever we'll get.

We love it when the Americans send us their unwanted weather ... [Roll Eyes]

Seriously though, [Votive] for those of you struggling with more weather than you're used to (or more than your infrastructure can handle).

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been helping a friend fill out on-line job applications this morning and some of the questions they ask in the assessments are ridiculous and/or disturbing. For example (ridiculous), in an application for a cashier position at a local convience store: True of False - All modern art is not really art. And for disturbing, from the same job: True of False - I sometimes have the urge to punch someone's lights out.

(and is anyone REALLY going to answer TRUE to that last statement?)

YIKES, what is the world coming to?

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We got more than twenty inches of snow yesterday. [Frown]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I might go to the driving range and hit some golf balls tomorrow as the schools are, of course, closed and it is lovely weather here in the western part of the country....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Was that a Weather Gloat™ I detected from our resident Knight of the Realm? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ask him again about the driving range mid-day in August. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Great minds think alike ... [Devil]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Last week's twenty inches of fluffy snow has been compacted to about five inches. Today it was sunny with a temperature in the fifties. We're supposed to have temperatures in the fifties for the next several days. Nature's snow-removal system seems to be working.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I doubt if our temperatures will get anywhere near the fifties until about mid-May.

That's the trouble with sn*w around these parts - once it's here, it sort of stays ... [Frown]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I drove through Tok, AK last week and spent the night (with a team of teens) at 47 below.

I win.

[Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Was that a Weather Gloat™ I detected from our resident Knight of the Realm? [Big Grin]

Yup, but it will be hellish here come May through October and I should be taking multiple surfing safaris to get away from it!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
I doubt if our temperatures will get anywhere near the fifties until about mid-May.

That's the trouble with sn*w around these parts - once it's here, it sort of stays ... [Frown]

I live at Latitude 37 and at 2100 feet elevation. The sun is much higher in the sky and therefore hotter. Also, the fact that there is not so much atmosphere for the sunlight to travel through makes it brighter.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo, I was thinking of you as I was in DC for Valentine's Day watching the Weather Channel news.
All I can tell you is, JB's meetings were cancelled while we were in the air coming to DC, so he worked from the hotel room. Our hotel had a shuttle bus, which did take us to restaurants that were open. I was hoping to get to the Smithsonian and Mount Vernon, but it was not to be. Couldn't even meet with shipmates for lunch! Thank heavens I bring books to read and I could download some TV British programs (my favorites). Trip wasn't a total loss, but it could have been better without the snow. What a mess Alexandria, VA was!

Now, I'm back home to 60 degrees with a cold front coming in. Wind is blowing a gale outside my window right now. [Help]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
... it will be hellish here come May through October ...

You can keep it - I have trouble coping with how hot it is here from May to October.

Just don't expect any sympathy ... [Devil]

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're having a wonderful warm break in our winter today. Which was good for me. Several of my buddies stopped by the house last night on the way back from conservation hunt in Arkansas and dropped off about 100 snow geese for me. Now, I'll clean 'em no matter what, but it is so much more pleasant to stand in the warm sunshine and do it than in the freezing cold. So at 5 pm, I'm covered in blood, feathers and various other avian fluids, with several huge containers of meat. Happy Bess. [Big Grin]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I went on a group trip to a nearby community called Cambria today. We spent most of our time listening to a talk about the community. It was very enjoyable.

Apparently Cambria has the reputation of being a very un-respectable place, although it has always had the lowest crime rate in the county.

The story that especially fascinated me was the tale of two buildings side-by-side and almost identical in appearance. The first had been built around 1890; the second story was a hospital and the ground floor was a pharmacy. A few years later the second building was built, with a door connecting the second stories of the buildings. This new building had a bar on the ground floor and a brothel on the second story. The connecting door between the hospital and the brothel was so that in case of an epidemic, the brothel would temporarily cease business and all the beds there could be used for the sick. It didn't occur to me to ask whether this situation had ever arisen. I also don't know when the hospital went out of business, or the brothel either.

When Prohibition became the law in 1920, the bar became a restaurant; apparently the food was terrible, but the restaurant prospered because of the pharmacy next door. Prohibition allowed alcohol for medicinal purposes, and restaurant patrons would equip themselves with a prescription. There was actually a pass-through window between the pharmacy and the restaurant. The restaurant and the pharmacy both did extremely well until Prohibition was repealed.

I like local history. It is much quirkier than national history.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with you, Moo, local history is much more fun than national history.

On that note-- Grieve with me, Bay Areans! The Bush Man has gone to that great seaside attraction in the sky! [Frown]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

Last night, we got the worst winter storm I've seen in the 7 years I've lived here. 4-5 inches of the fluffy stuff on top of a nice layer of ice. The wind is still howling. I'm thinking this is a great day to get all wrapped up warm, hop on the 4-wheeler, and go play [Big Grin]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Have fun, BH, and look after yourself! [Smile]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

We have lucked out on this one. The forecast said we might get 3-6 inches. We have an inch or two on the ground, but it's not sticking to the streets. The snow has almost stopped.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I almost started a new thread called "Sex on a Spoon", but decided that the USA thread would do just fine for shipmeet report.

Friday, Motherboarde, JB, St. Sebastian, my BFF and I met at a favorite local eatery to talk and laugh (and entertain the server.) As usual, we had a great time together and enjoyed our meal.

We shared three desserts, the upper left one was nick-named "Sex on a Spoon". JB suggested that an orgy was called for, since we were sharing!

This is the aftermath of the orgy.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You're not off the chocolate for Lent then? [Big Grin]

One of the ladies in the choir quite often brings a pudding called sex in a pan to Cathedral pot-lucks, and it's one of the few things that tempt me on the pudding table. I googled this recipe; I'm not sure if it's the same as hers, but it looks fairly similar. It tastes far nicer than all those instant-packet ingredients would suggest.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I'm not off chocolate, as that's not a big thing with me. Still trying to figure out what I should give up...something that I really like! Can't give up playing music, as God may frown on that.

I might decide on just the right fast about April 12, knowing how quickly I move on these things. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... Can't give up playing music, as God may frown on that ...

He certainly would! [Cool]

Having said that, we tend to do unaccompanied settings and motets during Lent, which is actually rather nice - in fact, D. said after Evensong yesterday "I think we'll give up accompanied anthems altogether".

Well, maybe not quite - I'd miss This is the record of John terribly. [Eek!]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

LOL! Every once in a while, I quit playing the accompaniment (in an appropriate section) and a large percentage of the choir looks up (a miracle for some of them) and either look at me as if I had grown antlers, or quit singing, because if I'm not doing anything, they don't have to, either.

Yes, most of the time they have been warned. Most of them have actually listened, but I don't think they believed me. It would be nice to do a nice a cappella anthem. They used to do so!!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... a large percentage of the choir looks up (a miracle for some of them) ...

You've got a lot of basses, then? [Devil]

I say go for it with the a cappella anthems - most of the Tudor ones by composers like Tallis, Batten, Tye, Byrd and Gibbons are little gems.

Oh, and that bloke Anon, 16th Century has written some nice stuff too ... [Big Grin]

Sorry - I'll stop turning this into an Eccles-fest now, before a host comes and ticks me off. [Biased]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to shatter the peace of many a lovely conversation: Wasn't there just a biggish 6.8/9 quake off the N Cal coast? [Eek!]

Or was this one the Westcoastians are just used to, and don't batter an eyelid? Hope all is ok. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it was about 600 miles north of the northernmost group of Shipmates in California, just off the coast of one of the coolest little towns on the coast. [Frown] SAys people felt it, but no mention of significant damage or waves or anything like that. My guess is it was a "slippy" quake rather than a "bouncy" quake.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Kelly. Hold on tight, guys! [Angel] [Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, it's a "slippy" quake rather than a "bouncy" quake, eh, Kelly.
I'd say, a quake is a quake! [Snigger]

By the way, I like your new "Face".

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was wondering about that, Motherboarde, but I didn't like to admit that I didn't know the difference ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A slippy quake would be more correctly called a "transform earthquake",and describes two tectonic plates sliding in opposite directions alongside each other. A "bouncy" quake-- or perhaps more properly, a "crashy" quake,or "convergent/ subduction"-- involved two plates actually crashing into each other . Neither one are particularly good, but subduction quakes are the ones that cause things like tsunamis. Or mountain ranges.

Whenever I hear about a fairly high magnitude quake with little damage or sensation, I tend to figure it was a transform earthquake. I could be wrong, I just guessed on this one. But even very low magnitude subduction quakes have been known to cause a surprising amount of damage.

[ 17. March 2014, 01:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ah, I think I see what you mean. Fortunately my only experience of tectonic plates was standing in Iceland with one foot on the European one and the other on the American one - IIRC there was about an 8-inch gap between the two.

I'm normally quite content for the piece of rock on which I live to stay where it is ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
IIRC there was about an 8-inch gap between the two.

Yikes. I'm not sure I could be that brave.

I'm not going to describe a divergent quake, as those are relatively uncommon and there is no reason to plant unsettling images in people's heads-- especially when they have stood straight on top of a fault... [Big Grin]

I live on the west side of the San Andreas fault. About 15 minutes south. A reservoir sits in the north end of the crevice.

[ 17. March 2014, 02:37: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a cool Benedictine monastery about forty miles from where I live. It pretty well sits on the the San Andreas Fault. Want to see what a major fault can do to the landscape? Behold Devil's Punchbowl about a mile from the Abbey!

Yeah, I know, I only live forty miles away. I'm actually about twenty miles from the point of the fault nearest me; I might as well be on it myself. Time to bring in more crates of water, check out the first aid kit, the fire extinguisher, sleeping bags. and the whole "bug-out" bag situation. [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Now THAT's a fault line! [Big Grin] Our end is hidden by a deceptively pretty lake and rolling tree-covered hills.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Nor entirely your fault then. You brave people on there!

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Look what happened this morning. Life's exciting here! [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin] Good man. Kept eye contact with the camera, demonstrated good earthquake protocol, and got right back into the newscast-- albeit a newscast suddenly focused on a quake.

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

Got a call this morning that the person who was supposed to work opening shift this morning had to take his lady to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy (sp?) so I'm pulling a killer double today. The bright side is, this has gotten me out of having to go eat chitterlings this afternoon, so that's a huge bonus [Big Grin]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a look at pictures of chitterlings. They look like boiled condoms.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It said on the Wiki link that BH posted that "chitterlings are eaten in most parts of the world".

Looking at the picture, not in my dining-room. [Eek!]

Just think, BH, not eating chitterlings and doing your colleague a favour. Good day all round, I'd say. [Overused]

Hope his lady's going to be all right. [Votive]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It said on the Wiki link that BH posted that "chitterlings are eaten in most parts of the world".

Are they eaten knowingly? Could they be in sausages?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016