homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My general policy with sausages is "ask no questions and you'll be told no lies".

If they taste nice, I'll eat them. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hubby said the chitterlings were great. HIs buddy's dad does them fried, which it seems it better than boiled. Kind of like being kicked viciously in the shin is better than being kicked viciously in the chest I guess. I've eaten all manner of animal parts, including bull, lanb, and rooster fries, but I draw the line at something that you know is going to have a faint flavor of poo...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aren't sausages ground meat (and things [Paranoid] ) stuffed into small intestines? It sounds like chitterlings are empty sausages.

BTW fried definitely sounds better than simply boiled. That's probably true for most foods.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Could they be in sausages?

Sausages are in them.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Under no circumstances will I ever willingly eat chitt'lins. there's not enough hot sauce in the south to cover up that kind of nasty.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could eat sausage without casing, but not casing without sausage.

I can't get into crackilngs or chicharrones, either. Once every three years or so I will munch a chicharron in an effort not to offend an eager friend, but otherwise- ugh.

Once on Top Chef I saw a guy make some sort of clear broth with sausage casings, though, and the judges raved!

[ 24. March 2014, 23:52: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly Alves:
quote:
I can't get into crackilngs or chicharrones, either. Once every three years or so I will munch a chicharron in an effort not to offend an eager friend, but otherwise- ugh.
That's interesting. I eat chicharones a lot. Since I've become diabetic I use them to dip hummus, chile con queso, refried bean dip, and chicken salad. I loves me crunchy stuff and most chips are too carbie.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oddly, I love bacon rind, but can't do pork crackling at all.

Going to be in NYC for 5 weeks from Sunday - woohoo! Broadway shows! Thinking of seeing "Kinky Boots" and "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" at this stage. Open to other suggestions.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hedwig!!!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cannot believe that it has snowed ALL DAY! Not much accumulation, three inches or so, but enough to make everything white and pretty. Like we need that IN MARCH!
I do feel bad for those further north, particularly the Maritimes, where they will be getting smacked with a double-whammy storm.
Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes - they're forecasting something quite big over the next couple of days, although by the time it reaches us in eastern Newfoundland it may have lost some of its bite ...

... maybe ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good grief. The sun has been up for over an hour, and the temp has dropped to 49.5! [Eek!]

They are promising that this is the last cold we have until November. At least the front brought us over two inches of rain!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my favorite daytime regulars died suddenly yesterday morning. She was The kind of lady you just wanted to behave around. It wasn't that she minded an off-color joke or the occasional swear word, you just didn't want to talk like that in front of her. She could get the entire bar rolling with laughter with a funny story, or bring tears to your eyes singing along to old country songs on the juke box. She will be sorely missed by everyone who knew her. [Frown]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... the temp has dropped to 49.5 ... this is the last cold we have until November ...

You think that's cold, you big soft Southerner? [Big Grin]

I doubt that it'll reach those dizzy heights here until about late May/early June (if we're lucky).

BH, sorry to hear about your friend - may she rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
You think that's cold, you big soft Southerner? [Big Grin]

Soft, yes. And proud of it! Actually, we're so soft here, we'd probably whine and curl up in a blanket if we had to deal with real cold. [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Different strokes for different folks, eh?

I'd be hopeless in your part of the world - the heat and humidity would just turn me into a molten, vaguely piglet-shaped blob.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gee Whizz! Did someone pray for SNOW ? Please in future, be careful what you pray for. (South-central Pennsylvania). Pouring rain Sat, and Sun morning; 4-5 inches of gloppy snow by evening.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Whenever you lot get sn*w, you send it to us. Perhaps we're just sending it back ... [Devil]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it's the start of Holy Week and today was a great day at church. The young ones do a Palm Sunday walk with their palms around the sanctuary. Our children are so darn cute it was hard not to smile while I was singing this morning. Wish I could have made a video to show you.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

MoBo, that reminds me of the years D-U was wee. We had a LOT of children, and they would process with palm branches. Some of the boys would whack the folks near the aisle with them. We finally decided we should use little branches!!! [Big Grin]

Mine was tiny this year, about five inches long, but I couldn't wave it anyway, could I? It just stayed on the organ console for my own private enjoyment.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, US shipmates.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to help me out by taking delivery of a parcel and resending it to me in England. There is a very small and light item I want to buy from Macy's but the shipping to the UK is more than the cost of the item!

I wouldn't usually go to this effort but it's a replacement for one I bought while on holiday in Chicago and I'm very cross with myself for losing it.

I can send money by PayPal or send you a gift of British items!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be happy to do this. I work near a post office, so you could have it shipped it to my job and I could get it into the mail to the UK very quickly. PM me for details, if you want.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Ruth!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Well, that was an experience! For whatever reason, if you don't have a US credit card (ie. a US billing address) you have to place your order over the phone instead of online. How very retro!

I hope the call centre lady didn't have too much trouble with my accent. I spelled out my name and address with the phonetic alphabet.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JB and I had a wonderful weekend with HART in Notre Dame for his Ordination to the priesthood. It was a whirlwind of Masses, Parties, Evening prayer and just sitting and talking with some really nice friends of Hart and his fellow confimand, Patrick. JB have followed his progress ever since his first vows. We feel like family.
We are so sorry that you were not able to be there, but you can access the ND.EDU website and get the streaming ordination video. It should be on line now.
Also this weekend, we visited with Mamacita and went to Frank Lloyd Wright's Studio and Robie House. Trying to get parking in Chicago is a pain in the a**, but the way and the traffic stinks. Thank God for maps, because I took the long route around Chicago to avoid the traffic after being stuck in it for 2 hours!!!
NEVER AGAIN!!! [Help] will I go to Chicago willingly.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Hart's Ordination Video
WATCH HERE

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for posting Hart's ordination and pictures! Wonderful!

I don't know how much of our area's tornadoes have made the news, but I wanted to post that I and my family are fine, including my son up in college that was hit by other tornado systems. My three younger children stayed in an inner closet while the sirens were in our area for 15 minutes or so. But my husband and I were only 2 miles or less from the massive one that passed so slowly by and killed people. We were at a dress rehearsal for Carmina Burana and all of us sheltered in an inner hallway for over half an hour with limited power. The whole area is now cleaning up, comparing stories, grieving, finding lost animals, burying and mourning the dead, and collecting for and helping the living.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Cuppa T, that is scary. I've only seen one tornado, and I turned the car around and drove fast the other way! Glad you are safe.

P.S. to SHIPMATES!
I have a few (6) programs from Hart's Ordination. If anyone is interested, please PM me with your address and I will pop it in the mail for you.
(Alex, Mamacita, Kel, Amazing, Simon, Tony k and Tomb, yours are going in the mail tomorrow).

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am hoping to be doing a backpacking trip in the USA this year, and the organisers say that you must bring a rucksack which has enough room to accommodate something the size of a full paper grocery bag. This doesn't convey much to an English person - can someone tell me what these bags are like ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A paper grocery bag is about 12 inches wide and 16-17 inches tall. Depth is about 6 inches.

If you scroll down on this page you will see a filled grocery bag.

I would suspect that the pack you are to bring is similar to a larger daypack that would hold 20 litres.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by CuppaT:
... a dress rehearsal for Carmina Burana ...

As if that wasn't scary enough without tornadoes raging outside!

Seriously, though - glad to hear you're all right, and prayers ascending for those who aren't, and for the souls of those who were killed.

[Votive]

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

My mom will be back in the States on Saturday evening with my dad's ashes and I'm flying to Boston on Monday for a Tuesday graveside service. He's being placed next to the grave of his son who died in very early childhood. I'm so not looking forward to this trip. Mom is dramatic at the best of times...

On a happier note, my brother, two sisters and I are planning to go see the Red Sox play while I'm in Boston. My dad was a die-hard fan, born and raised, and while my mom hates sports in general, the Sox were one of the special bonds my dad and I shared so it will be a fitting memorial to him for all his kids to see his beloved team together.

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
all our love, Bess. [Votive]

and.... GO SOX!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

What Comet said.

This particularly brainless Brit had to Google to check that the Boston Red Sox played what I thought they played ... [Hot and Hormonal]

I hope their newest guardian angel guides them to a win. [Smile]

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

I'm finally home from the land of We-Drive-Like-Jerks.

If the circumstances had been different I'd say it was a great trip. [Frown]

But, I did get to see my very favorite play ever in baseball live. The Pickle...a rundown between third and home...so very cool...

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear you got back safely, BH, and you enjoyed the baseball match.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
I'm finally home from the land of We-Drive-Like-Jerks.

I assume you are talking about Boston drivers. My husband and I used to collect observations of remarkable maneuvers, such as left on red, left from the extreme right lane on red, U-turn on red. Straight ahead on red was also quite common.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm wearing an interestingly colored elbow this morning as a result of throwing myself to the pavement yesterday to avoid being hit by a driver making a left turn. (I was in the crosswalk and had a green light.)
I'm okay, but I'll happily confirm that not all jerks are in Boston.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed they aren't, Basso - when D. picked me up from w*rk the other day he said he'd nearly been creamed by two separate idiots, one going straight through a junction (where D. had the right of way) without looking, and the other turning into the wrong lane, even though there was a traffic island indicating where to go (and it was a right-turn, so it should have been obvious anyway).

People here ask me why, although I have a British driving licence, I don't get a Canadian one. It's simple - I'm scared.* [Eek!]

* The fact that the steering wheel's on the wrong side of the car and the cars (mostly!) drive on the wrong side of the road doesn't help. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pete often comments favourably on the majority of drivers here in India - I reckon they have to be good considering how appalling the minority are. I cringe as I watch the antics of some of them.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm reminded of British-Indian actor Sanjeev Bhaskar's comment on Indian driving habits when he was the guest on Top Gear:

Jeremy Clarkson said that driving at night if you see a single headlight coming towards you, you don't know whether it's going to be a motorcycle or a lorry with only one light working. Without missing a beat, Mr. Bhaskar replied, "or two motorcyclists carrying a wardrobe between them."

[Eek!]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have seen something similar, piglet, but, thankfully, in daylight hours, and not coming my way.

But I have to say Indian drivers are models of decorum compared to Sri Lankan drivers. Those terrify me.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
...But I have to say Indian drivers are models of decorum compared to Sri Lankan drivers. Those terrify me.

Amen to that!

My first time on a bus in Sri Lanka I sat in the front so I could see [Eek!]

NEVER again!

I now sit well back and keep my eyes cast down - if I'm going to die I'd rather not see it hurtling towards me like that!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Aha. I see it was International Ignore Red Lights Day For some crazy reason, I thought it was a Special Day™ only in my home town.

Do we get brownie points for saving the lives of all the bad drivers when we avoid the accidents they are trying to cause? [Biased]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always thought Alaskans were batshit crazy drivers, then I visited Qatar. Those people have no respect for life, or personal space, or anything! add that to the decision to put in 800 bazillion giant roundabouts instead of regular intersections, and a little ak driver who doesn't DO roundabouts, and I was terrified every time I tried to go anywhere.

Imagine driving along a highway at the speed limit when some jackass in a very expensive vehicle comes roaring up behind you flashing his headlights and honking his horn and riding about 3 inches from your tailpipe looking to pass. And when you do pull off to let the suicidal maniac pass, he rewards you with a rude gesture. At least, I think it was a rude gesture.

A friend who is a jet pilot and travels all over the world told me Shanghai drivers are the worst, followed closely by Dubai drivers, and Delhi drivers in third place.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bah! Rent a cheap car with good insurance and brake.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
... a little ak driver who doesn't DO roundabouts ...

I'm baffled by why North Americans don't like roundabouts* - they're the best invention on the road. I'm absolutely terrified by the "four-way" junctions we have here, where apparently the first person to get there has right of way. They sort of would be roundabouts if they had a circle in the middle of the road, and IMHO would work far better (assuming that when you're driving on the right, you give way to the left).

* I've heard there's one in Halifax, and people drive miles to avoid it. [Confused]

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Bah! Rent a cheap car with good insurance and brake.

Nothing parties like a rental car [Devil]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

(crossposted. still grumpin' about the roundy things)

there are a few in Anchorage now, and I'm adjusting to them. I'd never even seen one before going to Doha. And they're BIG. like, many (4?) lanes, and mini-roundabouts that lead into bigger, queen bee roundabouts, and everyone driving at mach 1 within inches of each other.

I'd manage to wedge myself into one, but not find my way out, so I'd end up in this eternal circle with no escape, like Charlie on the MTA.

....and she never returned, no she never returned, and her fate is still unlearned... she's still circling leftward in the streets of Doha, she's the comet of the roundabout!

[Big Grin]

[ 11. May 2014, 00:52: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
... a little ak driver who doesn't DO roundabouts ...

I'm baffled by why North Americans don't like roundabouts* - they're the best invention on the road. I'm absolutely terrified by the "four-way" junctions we have here, where apparently the first person to get there has right of way. They sort of would be roundabouts if they had a circle in the middle of the road, and IMHO would work far better (assuming that when you're driving on the right, you give way to the left).

* I've heard there's one in Halifax, and people drive miles to avoid it. [Confused]

Double posting...

I grew up in the land of Rotary Circles (as they call round abouts in Mass) and now live in the land of the 4-way stop. Round abouts are like a freakin circus, madness on wheels at speed. 4-ways are calm. If all 4 folks pull up at exactly the same time, a turn signal and a flash of the headlights work just fine...

I like driving at a much slower pace these days...

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016