homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From this article, it sounds more like a news agency needed something to talk about.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently there are formulations that are acceptable in Canada. Perhaps they simply shipped from the wrong warehouse or pallet?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Getting back to the important subject: 50 cm. of snow today, nice and dry for once, so it is being redistributed by the 70 km/h wind gusts. But, no ice/freezing rain, so we should have power.

plus a storm surge on the Northumberland Strait, since the winds are from the north.

Proper winter! No point fussing about actually going anywhere.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So far today, the plow has gone by and two other vehicles passed early this morning. Not a single vehicle in the last two hours. Still snowing heavily and blowing wildly. A little while ago, there was a nine vehicle crash on the Confederation Bridge - in the toll area. Dog has successfully done her business in record time. Will go out to play as soon as the Vinyl Cafe is over.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was our turn for freezing rain today: it started in the morning and when we came out of church at lunchtime the car was encased in a veneer of ice. It's eased off now, but it's blowing a gale, and I can feel the house shaking, even though we're in the middle of a terrace.

No power cuts so far, although there was an ominous flicker during the first lesson at Evensong ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the double-post, but rim-rolling has commenced!* [Yipee]

So has gagnezing bugger-all. [Waterworks]

* Is it my imagination, or is it really early this year? I mean, Lent doesn't start for another two weeks.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got my first RUTRTW today -- no love for me either.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off into the hills tomorrow to get my yearly supply of freshly picked tea (so much better than the ancient floorsweepings known at the tea that is such a pity)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Sorry for the double-post, but rim-rolling has commenced!* [Yipee]

So has gagnezing bugger-all. [Waterworks]

* Is it my imagination, or is it really early this year? I mean, Lent doesn't start for another two weeks.

Easter's on the late side..

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It usually coincides with Lent, so that people who would otherwise give up Timmy's™ don't, but I suspect they haven't got a liturgical calendar ... [Big Grin]

Just rolled another please play again. [Frown]

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Family is 0-3 so far.

Og child is doing one a day...she likes the white hot chocolate.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. gagnezed un café today but I'm still at 0/4, even though there's two rims on each cup (a fact that had completely escaped me until one of my colleagues pointed it out - I thought they'd just changed the arrow colour from yellow to blue).

[brick wall]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
It usually coincides with Lent, so that people who would otherwise give up Timmy's™ don't, but I suspect they haven't got a liturgical calendar ... [Big Grin]

Just rolled another please play again. [Frown]

Some of us would view Tim's coffee as a penance prescribed by one's confessor after hearing of a particularly loathsome sin. In any case I reaped a free cappuccino on Friday as the barista was very impressed with my plum ascot speckled with little white rabbits.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... the barista was very impressed with my plum ascot speckled with little white rabbits.

I was imagining that your coffee establishment must be serving some very interesting substances, until I looked up "plum ascot".

Google is my friend. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only had one Tim's this week, and I'm 0 for 1.

But we have a very nice new coffee shop a block away from me, so I don't feel the need to chew up cardboard rims unless I'm on an errand in town.

At least the Tim's I go to is a very friendly place unlike certain others

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was the most perfect Winter Olympics ever for Canada. Gold in the four sports this country cares about: men's, women's curling, men's hockey and women's hockey. [Big Grin]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Especially when one could see how beautifully hockey could be played without the influence of Don Cherry and his fans.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Especially when one could see how beautifully hockey could be played without the influence of Don Cherry and his fans.

It was a remarkable set of games. International hockey played with a precision and skill level we may never see again.

I said to the family today that this might be the best Canadian mens team ever. Yes, better then the 87 Canada Cup team.

I hope they get to play again in 4 years but the NHL is rumbling and the IOC doesn't have Russian oil money to use to bribe them the next time.

As for the women's final, I turned it off after the 2nd US goal....and turned it back on when somebody else in the office said they had gotten 1 back.

If there is one team we REALLY care for, its the Women's NT.

[ 23. February 2014, 21:47: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As a CFA* I know the square-root of diddly-squat about hockey, but I was looking in while getting ready for church, and saw Mr. Crosby's goal. The final whistle blew just before we went to process in.

There were some interesting pieces of improvisation on the organ during the service ... [Big Grin]

* Comes From Away

eta: Why does O Canada give me a bigger lump in the throat than God Save the Queen?

[Confused]

[ 24. February 2014, 03:14: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Maybe because it gives a role to all the people rather than to a nice lady who happens to believe in God.

Also GStQ is just a rather morose German drinking tune, suitable for something like a funeral. Not that OC is particularly inspiring, of course, but who could take something totally triumphal at 20-below-with-a-wind-chill?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the day of the women's game, I was in Montréal down by la Visitation (in a neighbourhood not yet gentrified, which in recent years elected a Trotskyite city councillor) and found myself hearing O Canada sung through the windows of a bar and shouts of les filles frappent! (tr: the girls hit!) and voyons les dames! (rough tr: look at the ladies!).

If you had told me ten years ago that O Canada would be sung in that neighbourhood, I would have assumed that you were on very bad drugs.

Someone told me that the men played a game as well, but I haven't had that verified.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... a neighbourhood not yet gentrified ...

What a wonderful expression - we live in one of those! [Big Grin]

As to GStQ and OC, don't get me wrong: on the day when the British athletes won six gold medals at the London Olympics, I had tears streaming down my face, and I'm getting a throat-lump just typing this. [Hot and Hormonal]

I think OC took me by surprise: I switched on the TV the other day and happened on a medal ceremony (I hadn't seen the event, and can't even remember what it was) and found myself reaching for the paper-hankies.

patriotic piglet

[ 25. February 2014, 02:42: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dropped in to boast: 1 for 1 J'ai gagnzed un café on the first Tim's coffee I have had in weeks.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I finally broke my duck yesterday by gagnezing un beignet. [Yipee]

I gave the rim to D., as he's been gagnezing at the rate of about un café per day and giving the rims to me to get my Timmy's at w*rk each morning, and he likes beignets more than I do.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What, pray, is a beignet?

I hope that doesn't translate as a bayonet as the thought of an organist having one of those at choir practice is both understandable and terrifying!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
beignet is a form of doughnut.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
What, pray, is a beignet?

It's the French translation they use on the Roll up the Rim - you can exchange your rim for a doughnut or (I think) a muffin. Are you feeling homesick yet, Pete? [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... the thought of an organist having one of those at choir practice is both understandable and terrifying!

He doesn't have a bayonet ( [Eek!] ) but he does have a crumhorn, which can be quite useful for putting the wind up the sopranos. [Devil]

--------------------

# 3200

Rick Mercer on Weather Forecasting

Encapsulates this winter pretty much.

At this rate,we might see summer by October.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have approximately two and a bit weeks to get your country adequately warm. Some of us have to wear silk frocks to weddings you know.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Firenze, you can wear whatever you want to the wedding, just be sure to have your parka and boots on to get there. A weather alert has been issued for 30 to 50 cm of snow and high winds on Wednesday. As the snow is still waist deep on my front lawn, I'm thinking "warm" is not such a good idea anyway. I prefer a nice slow thaw.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
You have approximately two and a bit weeks to get your country adequately warm. Some of us have to wear silk frocks to weddings you know.

You worry too much. We were at a winter wedding in Québec City a couple of years ago, and the photos afterwards made it look as though the bride and her entourage had suddenly put on weight. They were all wearing long thermal underwear under the traditional pretty stuff, so that's what you may need to do. I was comfortable and warm in my kilt. We expect most of the snow to have melted by May.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was snowing gently but steadily when I came to w*rk this morning (but not enough for a snow-day [Frown] ), but we're being forecast a weather-bomb on Wednesday/Thursday with 20-30cm of snow ...

[Waterworks]

Spring? Yeah, right. [Disappointed]

--------------------

# 3200

They are threatening double digit above freezing for the weekend.

I'll believe it when I get outside and feel it.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the west, double digits below. Whacked out weather! (WOW!)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I thought you were going to Victoria, which hardly has a winter worthy of note?

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
True. But thereafter we're coming east again, specifically Toronto and Kingston.

(I have ordered a thermal underpinning or two).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's all relative - from some perspectives Toronto and Kingston are quite far West ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

The "let it snow" switch has been switched on. It took three hours to go from no wind to blowing like stink and then the snow started. All hunkered down for a real Nor'Easter.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've been getting the tail end of it since early this evening - fierce winds and blowing snow (although not really very much lying) and now it's raining and still blowing a fair bit.

Not enough for a sn*w day tomorrow though. [Frown]

Hope those of you in the thick of it are keeping safe - the Weather Channel pictures of Halifax and Charlottetown looked pretty wild earlier today.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Enough wind that the snow blew away from the cars, leaving only the pile at the end of the drive, basically pushed in by the plow. Did lose a few shingles.

Nowhere hear what PEI got.

Full whiteout though - TransCanada closed from Sackville to Truro for about 24 hours

Daughter 2 called from TO, in a panic that we would be alright. Hey, nice and cosy in the house, power merely flickered a couple of times, didn't have to go anywhere, and the snow was easy to clear the next morning. Doesn't get much better

But now they're calling for rain - 15 mm or so, just enough to freeze a shell on the surface, which is disaster for the deer.

And, just to keep you aware that it could be worse, Winnipeg has had it so cold for so long that pipes 7 feet underground are freezing. So glad I'm not there any longer.

[ 27. March 2014, 22:26: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

All well here. It sure was windy and the weatherman, who has been at it for 28 years, said it was the worst storm/wind he has seen.

Everything was pretty much shut down yesterday and today - over 50 cm of new snow and drifts 2-3 metres in front of my house. I'm on a main road so there was a track plowed for the fire trucks but the winds kept up all day so they have had a hard time of it. Gusts to over 100 km/hr do not make for an easy clean up.

The sun shone brightly though and my dog thinks that I put the snow out there just for her!

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
True. But thereafter we're coming east again, specifically Toronto and Kingston.

(I have ordered a thermal underpinning or two).

I live halfway between Toronto and Kingston. Shipmeet? [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
... Winnipeg has had it so cold for so long that pipes 7 feet underground are freezing ...

I take the minutes for the Anglican Cemetery Committee of St. John's and at our last meeting somebody mentioned that the ground in Manitoba froze to a depth of 7 feet. It came up in the context of a discussion about the ground here, which usually doesn't freeze more than about a foot, had frozen 3½ feet this year, making it far harder to dig the graves (and more expensive, as the machines used more fuel).

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Well into the third day of wind, freezing rain/snow, low cloud - but at least it is still near zero (C)

Driving isn't too bad, but visibility is not good.

Hope there is someone enjoying a garden somewhere

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Much the same here, Horseman Bree. Everything is shut down. I daresay I will not be changing my tires this afternoon as originally planned. Still have power though and the wee dog had a blast jumping through the snowbanks - she thinks I put them there just for her while she was asleep.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With snow days, professional development and parent-teacher meetings, our sons have been in school 0.5 of the last 7 days.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Similar here - we had the five days off for March Break, school was on for Monday and Tuesday and now they have been off for five school days in a row with a PD day this Friday. Some high school students are being emailed assignments and some teachers are giving daily homework via blogs. Hopefully the snow will stop falling later today!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's not been quite that bad here, although we had a snow-day today. It was really only a half-day: the university was closed in the morning but opened again at 1 o'clock. As I would have finished work at 2, I phoned my boss (who was working from home as her kids were off school) and she said not to bother coming in just for an hour.

When we opened the front door there was about a foot of snow on the step, but now it seems to be easing off (or turning to rain and freezing rain).

Take care, those of you who are having it a lot worse than us.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're finally beginning to see gardens and grass under the snow, so that's good. I would normally have had species tulips in bloom over a week ago in one bed -- snow is finally gone but not a hint of anything growing as yet.

But about what really matters -- after scoring 2 -- yes 2! -- free coffees in the whole of March -- a new low in my experience -- on 1 April I landed a third, as they were clearing out the last of the RUTRTW cups. Now I can go back to ceramic mugs and save the environment.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to work in shoes, rather than boots today, for the first time this year. One of my co-workers bicycled to work, for the second time this year.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016