homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was on the way for my morning cortado and taking my usual route behind parliament hill by the river when I was stopped by some very focussed RCMP plainclothes who were looking for someone in a black jacket, and had I seen anyone. Just cyclists, I told them.

As the market stalls were closing, I returned home by a very circuitous route. My friends in offices are under lockdown and instructed to stay away from windows. The RCMP are everywhere and are concerned about: a) keeping people safe if someone is still about with a weapon, and b) finding him.

I expect that there will be more coherent news in a few hours. We've made the front page of the New York Times but generally speaking, would rather not have done so.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The latest information says that there were not any shots in the vicinity of the Rideau Centre.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just checking in to say I'm thinking of you all, especially Uncle Pete, A the A and any other Ottawa Shippies.

[Votive] for the soul of Cpl. Cirillo, and that of his killer.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A great editorial cartoon about yesterday.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My nephew, who is currently at the Ottawa Mission, says that the slain gunman was a client there, and that he used to talk to him. As you do with people with whom you are thrown together. It might explain further why the Mission was in lockdown yesterday

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!] [Votive]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This Nat Post article describes the trying to save the soldier's life. It is a very moving account.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Cold Lake mosque was vandalised last night. By this afternoon the town (which serves a military base) had the mosque nearly aright.

Canadians are not jerks. Regardless of our faith path, we are quietly decent people.

I was appalled, then I was pleased. The mayor and the military attended afternoon prayers.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good - that's the way it should be.

While I'm appalled by the action of extremists like Zehaf-Bibeau, whenever something like this happens I find myself feeling very sorry for all the decent, law-abiding Muslims who come here to work and do nothing but good.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jian Ghomeshi! You have been a very naughty boy.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

After reading his tirade on Facebook, I wondered if he was the inspiration for the bloke in Fifty Shades of Grey.

[Snigger]

Seriously though, can they really fire him for having, um, interesting bedroom proclivities?

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's an yuppie artist, his proclivities are de rigeur interesting. But other than the fact that I find Q to be intensely boring, I don't care about what he does.

Though 'Mothership' is certainly reverting to its puritanical type.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today's revelations, particularly the Toronto Star article , make it seem likely that there's more to the story than the CBC firing someone for liking a bit of BDSM. Which makes sense, because I'm pretty sure you couldn't get away with firing someone on those grounds in this day and age. I've always been a big Jian fan ... in fact I used to be a big Moxy Fruvous fan, which apparently is not cool to admit right now -- but although I know there are such things as false accusations, I find the storyline of the abused women afraid to come forward, and the powerful man claiming it was all the work of a vengeful ex, all too familiar and plausible.

[ 27. October 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

From the whips to the mundane. Another Tory, Tory, has won the Trawna mayoralty. From a populist Tory millionaire to a grey Tory millionaire. I think it's the first election Tory has ever won. A slight improvement.

In other news, a grey Watson has retained Ottawa, but my ward councillor, Peter Clark, the former reginal chair, has lost to a local businessman.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...In other news, a grey Watson has retained Ottawa, but my ward councillor, Peter Clark, the former reginal chair, has lost to a local businessman.

Reginal - is he a Queen?

...and as a chair is he comfortable?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never thought I'd miss Mel Lastman!

At least John Tory knows how to behave in public!

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Alberta byelections might not seem that significant, until you consider that the government was widely viewed as being extremely unpopular in the wake of Redford's spending shenanigans, and that Wildrose was regarded as the natural replacement.

Yet the Tories won all four seats, and in two of them Wildrose didn't even make second place.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess you'd have to check which partisan sources were reporting the problems!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Changing the topic to rather more cheery notes (at least for me, it's cheery) my visa is now happily installed in my passport and in 10 weeks I will be off to Woddersland.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow today.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Oh, go wash your mouth out with soap! [Waterworks]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

They've already had some sn*w up in Labrador, but mercifully none here so far.

Good news about your visa, Pete - presumably now you won't give a stuff if the rest of us get sn*w ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Changing the topic to rather more cheery notes (at least for me, it's cheery) my visa is now happily installed in my passport and in 10 weeks I will be off to Woddersland.

Lord, have mercy!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Ghomeshi thing might just have started a must needed discussion on why women don't report rape and how much victim blaming happens in this country, especially among those who otherwise would call themselves liberal types. It was amazing how many people saw this as a Harper led conspiracy against the CBC. [Frown]

I for one care a WHOLE LOT about the injustice of how people are yelling "liar" at women for not going to the cops about an assault and yet believing a guy based on his Facebook post.
[Mad]

Report tonight is up to 8 women and 1 has allowed herself to be named.

This country needs to discuss the difference between legal truth and acceptable behaviour.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Report tonight is up to 8 women and 1 has allowed herself to be named.

The one who allowed her name to be used for publication is an actress who is also a captain in the Air Force.

The winds of shit are blowing, Ricky...

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jian and I served on the Ontario Federation of Students executive in 1991-2. I watch with interest as this saga unfolds.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The information about this is very disturbing indeed, from what was done, and possibly how the corporation didn't do anything. Probably something police is next according to the news. I feel deeply for those affected.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

In other news, Peterborough's very own Deano has been found guilty of election fraud. We wait with bated breath to see if he gets gaol time and/or whether his seat in Parliament is declared vacant.

Hardly likely, I fear. Though he now sits as an Independent, he was first elected as one of Harpo's clowns. They don't know the meaning of the word no.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

You rang? [Big Grin]

As I have moved back to the City of Peterborough (temporarily), I'm at Ground Zero here.

Ah, Dean, that whale of a car salesman. He sold cars at Del Mastro Motors down on Lansdowne St. until he was elected in 2006.

I doubt there will be a byelection; Dean will appeal until the bitter end. The appeal lies to the Superior Court of Justice in this case, I believe.

Most people are sick of this story, this is hardly the coverage the city and county want. Plus from self-interest, a byelection would interfere with setting up the new Riding Associations on the new boundaries, which changed significantly during redistribution.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Peterborough. Wish my father's family hadn't sold the quarter mile of shoreline on Clear Lake for a song in 1962.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Quite. On the Smith or Douro side, if I may ask?

On a different note, my little riding association now has 250 members. We have a contested nomination. After what happened in Quebec, everyone wants to be a New Democrat! [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... see if he gets gaol time and/or whether his seat in Parliament is declared vacant.

Surely if he's sent to prison he's not going to be much use as an MP?

Even if they don't call a by-election (and I can't really see how they couldn't) I'd hope that at the next general election the good citizens of Peterborough would tell him to take a running jump.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Oh, he's done like dinner electorally. He doesn't even live in the Riding anymore, his house and the township it's in are now in Northumberland--Peterborough South, the riding to the south.

The old saying is that so goes Peterborough, so goes Canada; Peterborough hasn't voted against the government in a general election in decades.

It's just the law is dreadfully unclear on what exactly is to be done. The Elections Act states that conviction for what Del Mastro is charged with means you are ineligible to sit as an MP for give years, and can't vote either. But sentence has not been imposed yet, and a conditional discharge would get around that point. There is precious little chance of that though.

However only the House of Commons itself can expel a member, and historically it has only done that when all appeals have been exhausted. The only other MPs who have been expelled since Confederation were Louis Riel (twice), Fred Rose (convicted of spying during the Gouzenko Affair) and an unmemorable MP in the 1890's who was promptly re-elected. If the House doesn't act, there's nothing that can be done.

However, I think his smell is so bad that even the Tories will want him thrown to the wolves (under the bus is full) and out of their hair.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As of last week's Le Journal de Montréal's riding analysis site gave del Mastro a 79% chance of winning Peterborough at the next election. I think that these figures now need revision.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I think that figure is a little high in any case; the riding is different this time but the NDP came second in 2011 and has been investing resources in Peterborough. I would put Peterborough--Kawartha (as it is now) as three-way competitive.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
I think that figure is a little high in any case; the riding is different this time but the NDP came second in 2011 and has been investing resources in Peterborough. I would put Peterborough--Kawartha (as it is now) as three-way competitive.

I think that you're right for Peterborough which, while it has a history of voting on the winning side, also has a history of not being anyone's safe seat. The J de M's formula projects polling breakdowns by province with factors of previous wins, incumbency, etc. Their prediction is a good example of how such models are flawed in the face of local circumstances.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Peterborough campaigns are always active and competitive.

Dean broke one of the cardinal rules of elected members here in Peternborough: if you can't be in cabinet, and can't be clever, at least keep your nose clean and be a good, respectable constituency MP.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Quite. On the Smith or Douro side, if I may ask?

On a different note, my little riding association now has 250 members. We have a contested nomination. After what happened in Quebec, everyone wants to be a New Democrat! [Yipee]

Highway 28 goes north through Young's Point at the west end of the lake and then turns east. At the corner a was a farmhouse owned in the 1940s by Jim and Violet Freeburn. They owned the land down to the shore of the lake. Highway 28 then turns northwards again. There was a road between the 2 turns of the highway down to the lake. That's the land that was bought in I think 1943 or so, for some $1500 or so.

On your other, with riding redistribution, I suspect Saskatchewan will elect between 3 and 6 of it's 13 MPs as NDP next go. The prior riding boundaries there washed out urban NDP votes with rural. Alberta will likely be much the same as now, as will Manitoba, as the new riding boundaries don't affect them so much. BC, I have never understood BC politics.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Smith side. Smith is the west side of Clear Lake, Douro is the east side of Clear Lake and the south side of Stoney Lake.

And yes, ah, to go home again.... [Yipee]

And of course I can't forget Edmonton--Griesbach, who send Linda Duncan to Ottawa to as their NDP MP. The only non-blue riding in Alberta. She's hosting next year's Convention.

Peterborough was redistributed into Peterborough--Kawartha, the first serious change of the riding boundaries since the 1960's. The three northern townships of Peterborough County were reunited with Peterborough and the southern townships of Norwood-Asphodel and Otonabee-South Monaghan passed to Northumberland--Peterborough South.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And of course I can't forget Edmonton--Griesbach, who send Linda Duncan to Ottawa to as their NDP MP. The only non-blue riding in Alberta. She's hosting next year's Convention.

According to wiki, she currently represents Edmonton Strathcona. Edmonton - Griesbach is a future riding, which, according to the same source, will encompass parts of St. Albert and Edmonton East.

I grew up in a neighbourhood now encompassed by Edmonton Strathcona. For many years, it was represented by Tory David Kilgour, who later crossed to the Liberals after having switched to a redistricted riding(which may have also overlapped with my neighbourhood, I can't recall).

wiki

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I grew up in a neighbourhood now encompassed by Edmonton Strathcona. For many years, it was represented by Tory David Kilgour, who later crossed to the Liberals after having switched to a redistricted riding(which may have also overlapped with my neighbourhood, I can't recall).

My uncle was friends with and campaigned for David Kilgour. I met him twice, I was politically agnostic in those days (1970s). He was an excellent speaker.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

My uncle was friends with and campaigned for David Kilgour. I met him twice, I was politically agnostic in those days (1970s). He was an excellent speaker.
And fluently bilingual, to boot.

As you may know, he's the brother-in-law of John Turner, and so of course there was a bit of speculation about that when he switched over to the Liberals.

But he ended up serving 15 years as a Liberal, almost all of that time under Jean Chretien.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I didn't know the John Turner connection. Very interesting, thanks.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I didn't know the John Turner connection. Very interesting, thanks.

I recall an interview with him on CBC radio, where he said that he had decided a few years earlier that the Liberal Party was closer to his ideas than the Conservatives at the time, but he was concerned that he might be accused of switching to his brother-in-law's party, as Turner was then the Liberal leader. As the Conservatives expelled him from caucus in 1990 for voting against the GST, the decision was made for him. After serving in the Chrétien cabinet, he left the Liberals to sit as an independent in protest against the sponsorship scandal. Like Douglas Roche, he is an interesting example of those Alberta MPs whose religious beliefs were an element in moving them leftward through their political careers.
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
D. Kilgour actually went to school in Manitoba - at least, high school, since I met him there. I don't know if being one of those people infected by dangerously eastern-province ideas made a difference.

Even then, Manitoba and Alberta were very different places.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

In other news, Adam Moulton, a 24 year old graduate of Trinity-Western University beat out Paul Smith, Brian Mulroney's former assistant to win the Northumberland--Peterborough South Conservative nomination.

You can paper over the Reform/PC split all you want, it's still there. Luckily the local New Democrats are also having a contested nomination.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
D. Kilgour actually went to school in Manitoba - at least, high school, since I met him there. I don't know if being one of those people infected by dangerously eastern-province ideas made a difference.

Even then, Manitoba and Alberta were very different places.

Kilgour wrote a book about the history of western alienation, which I gather takes a more subtle approach than the usual "Let the eastern bashterds freeze" line that was common in Alberta at the time.

Though I'm sure like any other proper-thinking Albertan(and certainly like any Tory MP wishing to be re-elected) Kilgour was opposed to the NEP.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Trinity-Western University has been in the news recently. It sounds like an oddity in Canada with its statement of morality (if that's what it is called). I think you probably have called it correctly with the Reform angle, but this election result seems somewhat odd to me given our western Canadian perceptions of Ontario being, may I say, more broad minded.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
our western Canadian perceptions of Ontario being, may I say, more broad minded.

I think "perceptions" is the operative word there. It is not unheard of for Ontarians to elect politicians who are at least as reactionary as any coughed up from southern Alberta. John Gamble(friend of fascists), and Tom Wappell come to mind, just off the top.

And of course Mike Harris and the recent mayor of Toronto scarcely require mention.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

NPS is a rural riding, and rural Central and Southern Ontario have a history of returning "interesting" politicians like Bill Domm (Peterborough) and Sam Hughes (Victoria County (Lindsay)). It's just given Ontario's urban population, they were and are usually swamped by MP's of a more moderate persuasion. But not always.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016