homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is supposed to be a warm rainy Christmas here in the nation's capital. Yuck. Warm and dry would be ok, or cold, but there's nothing you can do with a warm rainy winter day.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sharkshooter, we are facing similar weather here. The forecast is for +12 tomorrow but the wind and rain is going to make it pretty nasty out. We still have six bridges out since the rain two weeks ago. I made an extra trip out to the church yesterday as I couldn't see carrying everything - especially the four dozen cupcakes - in tonight in the wind and rain. Yes, it is better than snow but it will make for a cozy indoor Christmas. If we keep the power, that will be a bonus.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We got the merest dusting (really just a few flakes) of some frosty/snowy stuff last night, and it's quite cold here, but nothing exciting (Deo gratias). Any weather that you don't have to shovel is fine by me.

I don't even want to think of the possibility of power-cuts. We had a humungous one last New Year that lasted most of the weekend, and was apparently caused more by brainlessness on the part of Newfoundland Power than any meteorological factors. Having no electricity when it's your only source of heat and the temperature's hovering around the -10° mark is no fun. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The torrential rains we were promised turned out to be drizzle falling through fog. Temp. up to +14 C yesterday, today a mere +3 C, with the snow magically vanished, and surprisingly little mud.

One of our C&E visitors managed to find the one seriously muddy spot and dug his car in rim-deep, but that was a ten-minute diversion after service, since many of the locals understand how to deal with such a problem. No-one got mudded! Otherwise a blandly pleasant time.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brrrr........we had the nice warm +14 degree Christmas Day and now we've got -13 with a wind chill of -25. They are forecasting a big storm for Sunday so does that mean I don't need to prepare the service/sermon?

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... They are forecasting a big storm for Sunday so does that mean I don't need to prepare the service/sermon?

Certainly not. [Devil]

Whenever there's a big storm here, we're sometimes the only church in the city to open its doors. Having said that, the Deanery and the curate's house are just across the road from the Cathedral, and we're about 5 minutes' drive up the road.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"They're forecasting..." words that fill one with dread, and yet words that don't carry a lot of conviction as prophecy.

Even apart from what the Piglet says, would you actually base your actions on weather forecasts for more than the next day?

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year!

In keeping with Ship tradition old regional threads die on the last of the year and then new threads appear when anyone so minded starts the next.

I'll miss this thread but I'm sure a sooper-dooper new thread will soon takes its place.

Go to it, Shipmates.

WW - AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016