homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Isn't overnight a very long time for the slow cooker to be on, particularly if you won't be eating the soup until lunchtime of the following day at the earliest? Or do you turn it off in the morning and then reheat as needed?

Having said that, I did a new (to me) recipe in the slow cooker yesterday and it was a real disappointment. The instructions were to cut the parsnips and carrots into "chunks" - and after 10 hours they were pretty much as hard as they were when they went in. [Roll Eyes]

:

Nen - the timings for slow cookers are extremely flexible, and an extra few hours is usually not a problem. Re hard, uncooked veg, the usual advice is to cut them into fairly small chunks, no larger than your pieces of meat, and to put them in the bottom of the slow cooker with the meat on top. The longer the better, in my experience, with a quick blast (30-45 mins) on high to start off with, and stock made with boiling water. Not wishing to teach my Granny!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:
Isn't overnight a very long time for the slow cooker to be on, particularly if you won't be eating the soup until lunchtime of the following day at the earliest? Or do you turn it off in the morning and then reheat as needed?

Having said that, I did a new (to me) recipe in the slow cooker yesterday and it was a real disappointment. The instructions were to cut the parsnips and carrots into "chunks" - and after 10 hours they were pretty much as hard as they were when they went in. [Roll Eyes]

:

Nen - the timings for slow cookers are extremely flexible, and an extra few hours is usually not a problem. Re hard, uncooked veg, the usual advice is to cut them into fairly small chunks, no larger than your pieces of meat, and to put them in the bottom of the slow cooker with the meat on top. The longer the better, in my experience, with a quick blast (30-45 mins) on high to start off with, and stock made with boiling water. Not wishing to teach my Granny!
[Big Grin]

That's very much my regime too. I tend to only cook for 8 hours though, but that is easy for my lifestyle.

A day of marking ahead [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting; thank you for all your comments. I'm always a bit scared to do too much over the cooking time; particularly as this particular recipe didn't have lots of liquid, just a tin of tomatoes.

I have plans to try it again with fewer root vegetables, cut smaller, and with mushrooms. And possibly stock. [Smile]

It's positively Spring-like here today, even the sun put in an appearance for a while, and I'm out to lunch with a friend shortly. [Axe murder]

Nen - Lady Who Lunches.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in Encenada now. San Diego tomorrow.

The whale watching was hard to describe. To stroke a huge wild animal which chooses to come up to you, then brings its baby to do the same is just amazing!

The nine hour drive back was worth the experience.

Photos to follow.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, that sounds amazing! I can't quite imagine how it would feel, such trusting whales round there too.

Glad you are having a great holiday! Please bring back some warm sun!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That trip does sound wonderful [Smile]

A grey day here, matching my mood [Roll Eyes] marking again today (essays on social exclusion) but there's always the weekend to look forward to.

I'm applying to volunteer at Kentwell Hall, the tudor re-enactment, so might cheer myself up with some Tudor dressmaking next week. I'm also going to join the local sewing group on Monday as I need to get out of the house more.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Back in Encenada now ...

Isn't that something rolled up with spicy beans in it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure what happened to the snow we were threatened with but it never materialized, just rained heavily most of the day. (You don't want to know about the potholes that are making their appearances: each successive day of rain sees them a bit more pronounced. There's a terrific one in the station forecourt which I'm half convinced is a sinkhole in the making and which will suddenly swallow an entire double-decker bus one of these mornings.)

March tomorrow, and Shrove Tuesday next week. Where does the time go?!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... You don't want to know about the potholes ...

Welcome to our world - I don't know what kind of tarmac they use for the roads here, but it doesn't work, and they get eaten up every winter by the salt, grit and snow-ploughs. If you look closely, I swear you can see koalas ... [Big Grin]

In other news, having acquired a ham-bone and some yellow split peas, I'm making an attempt at Newfoundland pea soup - the stuff is all in the slow-cooker and will be switched on before I go to bed. The recipe said 8-10 hours on Low; I'm inclined to agree with Jacobsen that a bit longer won't do it any harm.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every year, before the monsoon hits, the local authorities here spend a fortune repairing the roads and then, every year, the monsoon tears them up again - the power of water should never be underestimated. As for potholes, I lived in Liverpool before I moved here so I'm used to them.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well you could be describing South Yorkshire except for "monsoon" enter winter. The rains and frost that come interact with old mine works and the results is there is nearly always subsidence that ruins the roads each winter.

Jengie

[ 01. March 2014, 13:14: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of the roads here in Kenya are appalling, quite horrendous and can even lead to back injury...

But some of the roads are great, much much better than the pot-holed roads I used to drive to get to work in rural West Sussex.

Driving here has many different challenges from in the UK and requires a very different style, so I just hope I can adapt when I next come back for a visit!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
S*d it - received a speeding ticket in this morning's post. Anyone know if I can do a speed awareness course near where I live instead of having to travel to the area where the offence took place?

(I am not a happy person now...cross with myself for being so bl***y stupid. It won't have been for "excessive" speed i.e. I won't have been doing 70 in a 30 area or anything. Just going faster than the speed limit for the road. I was driving up and down steep hills so accelerating to get up the hill I suspect - or having accelerated not slowing the revs down at the top. As the area is unfamiliar to me I can't be specific about where I was a Really Bad Person. And I do know that speed kills, having buried enough victims of excessive speed and bad driving.)

[ 01. March 2014, 13:59: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got a speeding ticket some years ago on a road near you, St E. I had driven along it when first learning to drive many moons ago and etched in my memory was my driving instructor's immortal instruction to, as he put it, "put your b****y foot down, woman" (this was just after he'd asked me what the speed limit was for that road, I'd said "fifty" and he'd pointed out that it was a clear road and I was only doing twenty five at the time!). I was reminiscing about it to myself as I drove along at 49 mph, little realising that in the intervening years the powers that be had seen fit to reduce the speed limit for that road to forty! No point being indignant, I just had to pay the fine and take the points, but it stung, I tell you. It stung!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went out today with the intention of booking two appointments;an eye appointment and a hairdresser's appointment. Then the plan was to get some new trainers and jeans. Oh, and computer ink.

Somehow, I managed to get both appointments for this afternoon, so I've now have had the hair cut and the eye appointment and chosen and paid for new spectacles.

However, I've bought three fleeces, three t-shirts, four pairs of socks, eight pairs knickers, a single bed sheet, a pair of pillowcases, and two lots of bin liners.

I did remember the computer ink though.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear it, St E. It can happen to anyone though - it happened to a retired friend of mine whose family used to tease her about her cautious driving because she never liked going fast, then suddenly one day there was the speeding ticket in the post. Like you she'd done something that she wasn't aware of at the time.

Beautiful sunny day here today and an enjoyable afternoon spent looking at some lovely paintings. It really is amazing that you can still see works of art painted in the 1400s, about 600 years ago, and they're still clear and beautiful.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
S*d it - received a speeding ticket in this morning's post. Anyone know if I can do a speed awareness course near where I live instead of having to travel to the area where the offence took place?

I think not - I know several people who have been caught like this. As you say, it's more likely to happen on unfamiliar ground. But, however much of a hassle it is, it's probably worth it in terms of car insurance.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sitting in Starbucks, Phoenix airport - very delayed. Set off 7:30am Sat, will be home 8pm Sun. I'll be very glad to get home!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I'm sitting in Starbucks, Phoenix airport - very delayed. Set off 7:30am Sat, will be home 8pm Sun. I'll be very glad to get home!

I've done that (except the flights were on time). That is jf you are changing at LAX for Heathrow on AA.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

It was San Deigo/Phoenix/Philadelphia/Manchester but with US Airways. But, due to the delay we have been re-routed San Deigo/ Phoenix/London/Manchester with British Airways.

[Snore] [Snore] [Snore]

[ 02. March 2014, 00:41: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my book airports and planes vie for the top spot in "the most boring places to be" - I medicate myself with OTC travel sickness pills and doze most of the time, it's the only way I cope without getting tired and ratty.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor you, St. E - it must be very frustrating getting a ticket when you're just over the speed limit.

Not quite as daft as what happened to D. when we were in Orkney for my mum's funeral though. A few months after we got back he got a parking ticket from some group called Town and Country Parking for an offence committed in Dundee. We hadn't been anywhere near Dundee and he wrote to them to say that about 100 people could attest that at the time of the alleged offence he was 200 miles away in St. Magnus Cathedral, playing the organ for the funeral. They re-credited his account, but with a very bad grace.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
In my book airports and planes vie for the top spot in "the most boring places to be" - I medicate myself with OTC travel sickness pills and doze most of the time, it's the only way I cope without getting tired and ratty.

Memo to self:

Must stock up on those pills for Wodder's domestic consumption.

Oh, wait! He sleeps most of the day, anyway.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and we've just got back from the supermarket and guess who was asleep?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW and Pete, I have this lovely picture of you both in loose cotton clothes in the heat of India, sitting on verandas drinking long cold alcoholic drinks and teasing and joking with each other with the ease that comes with long acquaintance. Friendship is a wonderful thing. [Axe murder]

I hope the rest of your journey goes smoothly, Boogie.

Nen - heading for the shower and then off to church. [Smile]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Soon be home, Boogie - and I bet your bed will look SO attractive!

I got a speeding ticket for just going 35 mph! Its a nasty little trap - you are turning right onto a main road, going downhill, so you accelerate to get into the traffic, go with the flow and bingo! you're done for speeding.

That camera is a nice little earner there - I know several people who have been caught! [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Nice image Nenya - the cotton clothes is surely right - and very few of them. Where you've got it wrong is the teasing and joking as Pete doesn't have a sense of humour - sorry - where you've got it wrong is the alcoholic drinks.

[Biased]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course Pete has a sense of humour. He refers to you as his friend, doesn't he? [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Of course Pete has a sense of humour. He refers to you as his friend, doesn't he? [Biased]

[Overused]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So much for the beautiful sunny start to the month that we had yesterday. I cut today's outing short - light rain and wind aren't ideal conditions for getting out and about, and gardens are still in pre-spring mode with a dash of sogginess.

None the less it's been a good weekend for seeing some nice paintings, yesterday and today. My only regret is that the way some are displayed makes it impossible to actually look at them except from some distance, because the closer you get, the more light seems to reflect off them. Unless of course you crouch down at a 35° angle at the side and squint up, which I've found tends to attract the attention of the gallery attendant.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

[Overused]
[Killing me]

No loose cotton clothes for us here - got back from church and changed out of the glad rags into several long sleeved warm layers. Mr Nen's just put his thermal vest on.

Nen - raining and windy here. That makes a change. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

As far as I know yes you can. It's a national course, so you should be able to go anywhere. Might have to ask the company providing it to get the info though... (Knowledge based on being involved in referring people to the other national driving course, which is for people who were in accidents as a result of their driving, so I could be wrong!)

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was wearing a loose cotton teeshirt this morning. But I was running in a half marathon, and put a few extra layers on soon after finishing.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
quote:

As far as I know yes you can. It's a national course, so you should be able to go anywhere. Might have to ask the company providing it to get the info though... (Knowledge based on being involved in referring people to the other national driving course, which is for people who were in accidents as a result of their driving, so I could be wrong!)
The second time I did it, I could book it on line at my venue of choice (from the list). Sadly, I got clocked for speeding again a couple of weeks ago, too soon to repeat the course, and the fines went up from £60 to £100 last November. [Frown]

[ 02. March 2014, 18:06: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

All this talk of lightweight clothes is making me feel quite envious - they're forecasting a high of -14° for Tuesday, with a wind-chill of minus-God-knows-what. [Eek!]

Very jolly sort of day musically today - our last hurrah before Lent. We sang Haydn's Missa Sancti Joannis de Deo in the morning, and Stanford in B♭ at Evensong, both causing much Decanal Grinning™.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

What are these 'lightweight clothes' of which you speak?? [Confused]
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Home!

What a long journey! 12 hours wait at Phoenix, but home at last - yes, my bed was VERY welcome after that. Only one problem - suitcase lost in transit - they are chasing it up today.

Lovely to see Tatze, she is just as waggy as ever.

I left Mr Boogs in the USA. He is doing the Natches Trace on his bike (Nashville to Natches).
Nutter!

It's bright and sunny here - I'm looking forward to a nice long walk in the woods to blow the cobwebs away.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a young lady from Natchez
Whose clothing was always in patches.
When asked why twas so
Said "It's simple you know
Wherever Ah itches, Ah scratches".

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woken by hail and thunder. Flood alerts again on local rivers, groundwater rendering roads dodgy at best, no-go at worst.

At the moment have Noel Coward's Bad Times just around the corner booming out

...There are dark clouds hurtling through the sky, And it's no good whining about a silver lining, For we know from experience that they won't roll by...

It seems appropriate and matches my mood.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
There was a young lady from Natchez
Whose clothing was always in patches.
When asked why twas so
Said "It's simple you know
Wherever Ah itches, Ah scratches".

Love it! An original? [Smile]

Piglet... Decanal grinning?

Welcome home, Boogie, glad the sun has shone for you.

Nen - humming this evening's earworm... We're going to unpack our troubles from our old kit bag and wait until we drop down dead...

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alas, not original, and now well past its 100th birthday.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Decanal grinning? ...

decanal - pertaining to the Dean (of a cathedral) - Decani is the side of the choir where the Dean's stall is.

We're very fortunate that although not really musical himself (but he sings the Litany very nicely), the Dean thoroughly enjoys the music that we produce, and signals his appreciation by grinning broadly, especially (though by no means exclusively) in the loud bits. This phenomenon is what we call "decanal grinning". [Big Grin]

I've been a Good Organist's Wife today and washed, ironed and starched our surplices.

[Angel]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Alas, not original, and now well past its 100th birthday.

I'm so yesterday. [Roll Eyes] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Some of us are on the way to 100, closer every day at a rate much more than others of you.

A good thing about that limerick is that it's so clean I could say it to a friend in front of his 13 yr old son with no fear of embarrassment.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's very cold here tonight - currently -18°C, and feeling like -33°. Having been sitting in the (relatively warm) den watching TV, I came out onto the landing to be hit by a wall of cold and discovered that the front door was standing wide open ... [Eek!]

As D. is the only one to have been out this evening, I know who it wasn't.

Wodders, you are permitted to shiver. **brrrrrrrrr**

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thank you, shiver I shall.

We had a little light rain a few nights ago and then last night we had our first real storm of the year - I know you are probably all heartily sick of the sound of rain but to us it was fab! A big, thrashing, tropical downpour - a noisy beast of a storm which put about 4 inches of water in our rainwater harvesting tanks. I was tempted to head up to the roof for my traditional dancing naked in the rain [it was dark at the time] but was too comfortable just lying there listening to it.

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds nice. I am awake. And have been for an hour, and shouldn't be.
Looked at clock.couple of hours.

[ 06. March 2014, 04:27: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Woke at 4 this morning, which is fine - earlier starts can become a bit of a drag later in the day. It gives time to catch up on the news and have breakfast and a cup of tea before leaving for work.

The odds are, though that I'll probably still be in a bit of a scramble to leave at the right time. Nice mild day so far, though and good weather for the weekend - with no rain forecast, I may even get something done on the allotment then.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The Weather Channel said this morning that it would go up to -1° at the weekend.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You could come to our Church Hall on Saturdays ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016