homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That all sounds delicious and my kind of meal [Smile] we had dinner with French friends last week and I was surprised to find out that they have the cheese course before dessert.

Other half is back at work and I'd love to go for a walk in the sunshine but I suspect my children are less inclined [Roll Eyes] I have been good, though, and set some work for my students for when they return from their break next week.
I might go and do some decluttering in my sewing room/study.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
That all sounds delicious and my kind of meal [Smile] we had dinner with French friends last week and I was surprised to find out that they have the cheese course before dessert.

But of course. That is so that the red you are having with the main course can segue seamlessly into the red/ port to go with the cheese.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
I saw Sherlock - I'm still trying to work out the plot. If there was one. Burt its brilliantly done.

Yep. Loved the reunions and explanations. I thought generally he seemed a gentler and less abrasive character in this episode.

La vie en rouge - that sounds like a proper dinner and a really delicious one. Let us all know next time and we'll come and join you.

Public transport is half empty so I'm guessing a lot of people are taking the rest of this week off - quite quiet here so a chance to make good progress catching up and getting back into it.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

But of course. That is so that the red you are having with the main course can segue seamlessly into the red/ port to go with the cheese.
Eating cheese at the end would feel bizarre to me these days. It also seems quite logical to me to keep all the savoury stuff in one section of the meal and end with the sweets and coffee.

(In posh French restaurants one eats one's cheese with a knife and fork. At home people use a bit of bread. Crackers are unknown.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
...In posh French restaurants one eats one's cheese with a knife and fork...

[Ultra confused]

The bread I understand but knife and fork?

Oh well, it takes all kinds.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But one of the best things in the whole world to eat is applewood smoked cheddar cheese and those biscuits which are shaped like little loaves and are the same taste as digestives. [Big Grin] It just wouldn't be the same with bread. [Disappointed]

In other news, I'm listening to the weather and it sounds as though there's more grim stuff on the way. [Eek!]

Nen - battening down the hatches.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't usually do the "British" threads, but I want to try & be a regular visitor this year. I thought I might anyway, but when I saw the title, that clinched it - I was born just across the street from Barter Books, where the "Keep Calm and Carry On" phenomenon started. (It wasn't Barter Books then, it was still Alnwick Station.)

So hello from one of the Ship's Northumbrians in exile (I'm sure there must be others).

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We always have the cheese before the fruit or pudding which ends the meal. You can then finish off the wine with the cheese and not have clashes between dry wines and sweet foods.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't really like ending a meal with a sweet taste in my mouth. Left to my own devices I'd start with the dessert and finish with the starter. Or have cheese instead of a dessert - I can't usually manage both.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

[Ultra confused]

Unless it's Brie, Camembert or or one of the really smelly ones like Livarot or Pont l'Eveque, in which case you'll need a spoon.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
La Vie, your dinner sounds absolutely heavenly. I'm definitely in the "cheese after pudding" camp - if we're entertaining I'll bring the cheeseboard through to the sitting-room so that we can sit in comfort and nibble on pieces of cheese, grapes and nuts as we want. In restaurants, I prefer to have cheese instead of pudding, although I can only think of one restaurant here that offers a cheeseboard, and fiscally it's in the "occasional treat" category. [Frown]

Adeodatus, thank you for the link to Barter's web-site - I assumed that the logo must have been a war-time thing, but I didn't know where the modern incarnation started.

Very cold day here today (-16°, feeling like -29° with the wind-chill) but beautifully sunny, so we went for a drive out of town for lunch before I came back to do the Cathedral bulletin. Sort of getting into practice for returning to the grind on Monday ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. S likes cheese with Christmas cake - apparently a Northern thing - but then again he likes cheese, full stop. (I don't, except very rarely, which is a blessing, cf. Safe from Kidnapping thread [Hot and Hormonal] )

In our house, the motto is 'Keep calm, cut off the green bits, and carry on' [Devil]

Mrs. S, whose children DID survive to adulthood in spite of the above

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheese goes well with anything sweet - especially jam [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Cheese goes well with anything sweet - especially jam [Smile]

[Eek!] Ugh no! I hate sweet with savoury. Full stop. I know, I know, oranges in salads, sweet sauce with meats, etc. etc. it seems all the rage now, but not on my dinner plate, thank you very much! [Frown]

I'm just an old fashioned eater! [Biased]

[ 03. January 2014, 08:19: Message edited by: Nicodemia ]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm mostly with you, Nicodemia - I've never understood what MrD calls "jam with meat" (cranberry sauce + turkey; apple sauce + pork etc) BUT I do like slightly sweet biscuits with a sharp cheddar (Hovis/ digestive type) - not that one can find either in France!
Chutney with cold meat is a different kettle of fish, and we eat a lot of chutney, but that's more sweet/sharp than "jam"

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fruit and fruit sauce with meat have been around for centuries. Redcurrant jelly with lamb is wonderful when I can get it - nicer than mint sauce IMO. I'm not too keen on crackers with cheese – for me they need to be thin and preferably water biscuits rather than proper biscuits, otherwise they detract from the actual cheese. There's nothing like a slice of a freshly baked loaf still warm from the oven with a piece of your favourite cheese, though.

And I’m not going to mention Danish blue with honey drizzled across it or cheese pancakes with golden syrup, as they do in Holland.

Meanwhile, we're having some crazy weather – about an hour ago we had a hailstorm with chunks of ice like large marbles which must have been nearly an inch across. Quite spectacular (and really noisy) while it lasted.

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

[Ultra confused]

(*Cackles*)

Oh yes. Not just knives and forks! Some of us eat broken bottles and turn into werewolves during the full moon too. [Big Grin]

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've booked our summer hols this morning, 2 weeks in Cornwall; one in the Lizard, one near Land's End. The lady I spoke to on the farm in Land's End was battening down the hatches for the storm. We had a heavy thunderstorm and hail about an hour or so ago here.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That hail storm has just come through here - black skies, really noisy hail.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
...Some of us eat broken bottles and turn into werewolves during the full moon too. [Big Grin]

I thought that only happened Sarf of the River!

Signed: Essex boy by birth.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
That hail storm has just come through here - black skies, really noisy hail.

[smug hat] We seem to have gotten away with it here, at least this time - just some heavy rain (though not bad for Manchester) and fairly strong winds - don't know if it's 'cos we're inland, but it seems the worst has passed us by.
[/smug hat]

[Votive] for those it hasn't passed by...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definitely a time to Keep Calm and Carry On. Severe Flood Warnings in effect practically in the centre of Newport, and lesser, but still serious warnings for Caerleon and plenty of other places in walking distance.

[ 03. January 2014, 17:10: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Windy rainy cold here....mind you, if we were flooded the water would be half way up the tower of the Town Centre church...the town centre is low-lying.
Hope everyone is safe and snug tonight.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I generally go for a 30 minute run on Friday lunchtimes, with some work colleagues. The hail arrived about 10 minutes into the run.It only lasted about 10 minutes, but then we had heavy rain for the final 10 minutes. Normally I really enjoy the run but today the hot shower afterwards was the best part.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chocolate Hob-Nobs...I don't half miss them! Can't get them at all in Finland. The joys of being an ex-pat Brit!

Sorry for the interruption, but I didn't think the "Welcome Aboard 2014" thread was appropriate, since I'm a returning member and not a genuine new poster.

Anyhoo...

I joined a few years back but didn't post much. I ended up moving to Finland due to falling in love with a wonderful Finnish woman online, and I kind of cut my internetting down a heck of a lot.

The time seemed right to jump aboard again, this time for a good while longer hopefully!!

Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interested to see footage of the storm hitting Aberystwyth. I used to stay in a flat on the seafront. A big sea was an annual event - it always demolished the paddling pool and took another bit off the pier.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
...Some of us eat broken bottles and turn into werewolves during the full moon too. [Big Grin]

I thought that only happened Sarf of the River!

Signed: Essex boy by birth.

Oh for Gawds sake, there's no such place as "sarf London". That's just how poncy media types from north of the river think we talk. The correct term is "saaf Lunden"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Biased]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Interested to see footage of the storm hitting Aberystwyth. I used to stay in a flat on the seafront. A big sea was an annual event - it always demolished the paddling pool and took another bit off the pier.

You'd think they'd have learnt, and moved them inland where the sea couldn't get at them.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Killing me] Sorry Spike & ken, I stand corrected.

Went to my room about 8.15 last night then thought I'd have 5 minutes before I came back in here and then woke up at 02.30. It was bliss! Later had a really weird dream where I was at a party with friend who is a judge in UK and we were both smoking illegal substances and I was worried that she might harm her career - it was quite a relief to wake up and know that she is safe!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey Wodders, I thought I had weird dreams ... [Eek!] I should keep off the old Stinking Bishop before going to bed if I were you. [Big Grin]

It's blizzarding merrily outside; the little path that Kind Neighbour dug out in front of our house has almost been obliterated and it's not showing any signs of stopping. We're supposed to be going to an "open house" do at the Deanery on Saturday afternoon, but if the weather's still vile, it'll be postponed until Sunday, which will interfere with our afternoon snoozing habits ...

Hope those of you with more water than you'd care for are keeping safe.

As it was a "battening down the hatches" kind of day, I made a pot of chicken-and-veggie soup for tomorrow's lunch, and set a loaf going in the bread-machine - do help yourselves.

[ 04. January 2014, 03:25: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Talking of bread - most bread here is sold sliced rather too thinly for my liking BUT we have recently found a source of thickly sliced bread, ok, only available in white but it makes good toast for breakfast after mass on Sunday mornings. For some reason my bread making skills have disappeared in the last 30 years so we have to have the bought stuff.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have started a low carb diet so made almond crackers and almond bread yesterday. Very nice too!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They seem to have stopped slicing bread thinly here these days. It's now medium, thick or doorstep, which is annoying because I'd prefer thin if I could get it.

Raining again today here in Oxon-on-Sea. Strange, that.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My word, the cold weather here is putting paid to my resolution to get up and get going bright and early this morning. All I want to do is snuggle down under the duvet and preferably go back to sleep, but that might also be because I have a mountain of paperwork to do for school on Monday.

I have rather a glut of bread for some reason. Maybe a good excuse to dollop some special jam on top for second breakfast. I wonder why my new year diet isn't going very well!

Anyone got the kettle on?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have a cuppa! smudge. I also have some rather odd gingerbread porridge.. Not sure if I like it but good for a miserable day. After being unable to sleep most of the night I now feel very odd, and not sure what I want to do today. The latest Hobbit film has been suggested, which sounds like a good idea

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just made a drink so the kettle is still hot.

Went to town to collect something else from a courier and we found that the place actually MAKES bread and it would be ready in half an hour so we did a bit of shopping then went back and we got it unsliced, fresh from the oven - still HOT! The smell in the car on the way back was exquisite!

eta 15 minutes later: I have just been brought two doorsteps of fresh warm bread and a little pumpkin soup to dip it in - if you're not jealous, you should be!

eta again: This morning I completed the 22 page form as required by HMG for claiming my State Retirement Pension and got it in the post, registered, to Newcastle. Pete was a bit upset when I told him the postage cost was under C$3 [about UKP1.70]

Btw, just asked and the bread is about 25 pence a loaf!

[ 04. January 2014, 08:55: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bread sauce... that's what I'm going to do with my glut of milk, bread, onions and to help finish off the jar of cloves.

I'm having a quiet, do as little as possible day other than the bread sauce making. Yesterday was remarkably exhausting, what with playing for a funeral on an organ I used to know quite well (and which has developed more idiosyncrasies since I last played it regularly) and coping with the extraordinary merging of various parts of my past, none of who I ever expected to converge in that place!

Though people who think it's appropriate to come and whisper in the organist's ear for any other reason than the church is on fire and I need to get out now whilst she is playing the final voluntary are on my hit list. Especially if they start with "I don't want to put you off playing, but...."

Just because it's possible, doesn't mean you should do it!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit grey and murky here. Not much doing, but need to finish the white chocolate and ginger cheesecake that I promised to make for a friend.

I made an interesting leftover-chocolate-fondue-tiffin-type thing yesterday. There's some in the fridge if you want to try it - basically crushed speculoos biscuits in butter, chilled. Chocolate fondue re-melted, mixed with chopped nuts, dried cranberries & crystallised ginger, poured over the biscuits and reset. Mr D seems to like it verrrry much, so get a morsel while you can!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've just made a drink so the kettle is still hot.

Went to town to collect something else from a courier and we found that the place actually MAKES bread and it would be ready in half an hour so we did a bit of shopping then went back and we got it unsliced, fresh from the oven - still HOT! The smell in the car on the way back was exquisite!

eta 15 minutes later: I have just been brought two doorsteps of fresh warm bread and a little pumpkin soup to dip it in - if you're not jealous, you should be!

I am!

Was going to make bread rolls with our two girls to have for breakfast this morning but a) we didn't have any strong bread flour and b) making a cake (that didn't rise [Frown] ) was quite traumatic enough for one day. Maybe next week...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Sherwood:
Chocolate Hob-Nobs...I don't half miss them! Can't get them at all in Finland. The joys of being an ex-pat Brit!

Sorry for the interruption, but I didn't think the "Welcome Aboard 2014" thread was appropriate, since I'm a returning member and not a genuine new poster.

Anyhoo...

I joined a few years back but didn't post much. I ended up moving to Finland due to falling in love with a wonderful Finnish woman online, and I kind of cut my internetting down a heck of a lot.

The time seemed right to jump aboard again, this time for a good while longer hopefully!!

Welcome back. Discussing hobnobs is a good introduction to this thread, we generally discuss food and the weather [Smile]

I've just popped some glass in the kiln to make a bowl (a redo of a bubbled piece so I hope it works) and am about to put some dough in the breadmaker ready to bake for lunch. The children are nagging to play a new board game so I guess we'll do that once my other half finally gets out of bed [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK you have inspired me a plain carrot & sweet potato soup is in the slow cooker.

Do not think I will manage fresh bread though.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I now have a cat, rabbit and pig in the fridge.... orange, chocolate and raspberry blancmange ready for tea tomorrow.

Time to think about breakfast. Or maybe skip straight to lunch. Although I' back at w*rk I am still in holiday mood so a very slow start to the day. Savoury pancakes anyone?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been to see Nenlet1 and the son in law. Their house is so cold! [Eek!] I guess they're young and don't feel the cold like their aged parents. [Roll Eyes] Also had a piece of their Christmas cake - made by his mother - and now feel a bit nauseous... [Ultra confused]

Planning to take the decorations down this afternoon but Mr Nen has another agenda so I'm waiting until he's available to help me.

Nen - glad to get home into the warm.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having discovered that there is an alternative 12th Night, I have decided that as I am still enjoying my pretty tree I shall leave it up until 18th Jan. Thankfully it's not the sort to shed needles otherwise it might be down already.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Been to see Nenlet1 and the son in law. Their house is so cold!

Now you know what to buy them for next Christmas - onesies!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The plan to give up the excesses and be sensible in the New Year is not going all that well. This afternoon we went for afternoon tea at La Durée, purveyor of some of the finest patisserie on the planet, in very lovely Belle Epoque surroundings. They are famous for being the inventor of macaroons split in half with ganache in the middle, but everything they have is to die for. Their tea is also more than pleasant (I got green tea with rose, violet, ginger and mint - it was heavenly). You have to queue to get in on a Saturday and the prices are kind of obscene, but it's worth it. Calming down and being sensible will have to be to be for another day. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm leaving calming down and being sensible for when I'm dead!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm working on being more frivolous and lighthearted, but a prolonged spell of too much rain and not enough sunlight has dampened most of my enthusiasm. We're expecting the fun storm they just had on the east coast of America to cross the Atlantic to us today, to top up the flooded roads in case they dry out.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I wish they had properly structured training courses in spontaneity!

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to do something drastic about this room - I think I may have to tidy my desk [Eek!]

I haven't attempted it in over a year and these days I can never find anything without a 10 minute search. This also means that I shall have to do the filing! - a task I loathe and detest even though I know it never really takes long.

Perhaps I'll start it all tomorrow, or Wednesday - it can't be Tuesday as I'm going to The Big City. I really need to find the form donating my body to the local Medical School and get it all sorted out - after I check that it expressly stipulates that I have to be dead first! It all needs to be done on Stamp Paper and signed in front of a Notary and all that - which is fair enough but takes some organising as it means the witnesses have to taken along to the Notary's office as well.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016