homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... piglet, do you spend all day in the kitchen? You seem to cook far more than most.

Not really - I just brag about it to you lot. [Big Grin] During the week D. does most of the cooking as I work most days from 10 until 2 or 3, and as he's more-or-less a free agent, it's more practical. But I like cooking too, so I tend to do my share at the weekend.
quote:

... time to upset piglet by saying that I am taking to the kitchen to make a big bowl of porage and a cup of hot almond milk.

You're on the other side of the planet - you can't scare me with your porage and hot milk ...

... well, maybe you can ... [Eek!] [Projectile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Internet stopped working yesterday as the PC said the dongle was not receiving a signal [Eek!]

After several hours [spent watching a couple of movies I've wanted to watch for ages] I suddenly had an idea and tried a high tech solution by taking out the SIM card, rubbing it on my lunghi [sort of sarong thing] and put it back in and suddenly there was signal!

Internet restored and all is right with the world - or at least my little bit of it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you so much for all your kind words - we passed to be guide dog puppy walkers!

Hurrah!!

The supervisor was here for two and a half hours with a puppy (a gorgoeus GS / golden retriever cross, 12 weeks old) and his puppy walker. Tatze was a star, she played really nicely with the puppy, it was his first off lead encounter with another dog, so he was quite hesitant at first, but she soon had him jumping on her and playing chase and tuggy. I am 100% proud of her. Then we all went for a walk and Mr Boogs and I had a practice with the pup.

Now the long wait 'till mid July when the puppy arrives - it will be being born soon and they'll let me know what breed, sex and colour then. Meanwhile we have to build a 'spending area' which is a fenced off bit of the patio for poos and wees.

I simply can't wait!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay, Boogie, that's wonderful news! [Yipee] Congratulations to you all! [Yipee] Keep us informed of developments. [Big Grin]

Is it called a spending area from the old expression "spending a penny" from the days when it really did cost only a penny to use the public toilets?

Nen - vicariously basking in Boogie's success after an unproductive day at work. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Thank you so much for all your kind words - we passed to be guide dog puppy walkers!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

[Yipee] indeed!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Boogie and family.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Boogie!

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Boogie! [Yipee] Are you going to change your name to Boogie Woodhouse at the next name amnesty?

Walkies! [Big Grin]

Had a v. nice lunch today with the mob from w*rk, partly to celebrate N's successful defence of her PhD (she was already a doctor of medicine, so now she's Dr.² N), and partly to say farewell to our Project Manager who's been promoted. Just above where we w*rk there's a little restaurant run by the Autistic Society and they do v. nice soup/salad/sandwich combos - I had a chicken and aioli sandwich with spinach and walnut salad, which were excellent.

Got home to find that D. had made some more French sticks - they're so yummy that if I'm not careful I'm going to be the size of a small country before I know it.

I wouldn't mind, but I never used to eat all that much bread ... [Help]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh well done Boogie! I'm sure you will make an absolutely splendid Puppy Walker!

Piglet - your life seems full of simply delicious food, mostly cooked by you, together with what I am sure is wonderful singing.

Do you sing as you cook? Or even cook as you sing?
[Smile]
I am so envious of you!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Boogie!
My day is a mass of marking followed by teaching an online tutorial this evening - I could weep [Waterworks]
But it'll be soon be over and this year I have the summer off, having given up one of my teaching contracts. I might even get to join Piglet in the baking/cooking fest [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Boogie and Tatze [Smile]

Now my c.a.t.s have passed their dog-tolerance test I'll be having a local pooch around more often for the canine equivalent of coffee-and-biscuits or tea-and-cake while her humans are out. She is a darling and pays no attention to the c.a.t.s.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
... Do you sing as you cook?

Sometimes, although TBH I'm more likely to swear ... [Hot and Hormonal]

D. sometimes puts a CD on while he's cooking, and I do if I'm making foodie Christmas presents, when The Best CD Of All Time™* comes into season.

* Praetorius' Christmas Mass, sung by the Gabrieli Consort.

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone else feel a little unwell after mowing? I was wearing my hat. The lawn is now trimmed, and I'm actually quite impressed that the old petrol lawnmower coped. I had somewhat let grass grow... [Hot and Hormonal]

Now to cook, and maybe sing. Piglet, care to join me?

Cattyish, "Ave Maria..."

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
Does anyone else feel a little unwell after mowing?

I feel a little unwell just thinking about mowing ... [Big Grin]

I'll be delighted to join you in a song, Cattyish, just not that one (I'm assuming you mean the awful dirge they get wobbly soloists to sing at weddings and funerals).

A Good Day was had today - some work has finally been done on the upstairs bathroom, and I got a letter at w*rk confirming my job until the end of October. My boss had told me informally (and that she's going to fight to keep me on after that), but now, like Chamberlain, I have in my hand A Piece Of Paper.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Everyone is coming back today so I will lose my peaceful solitude [Frown] I love them all but I also love just my own company.

I suppose I'd better clean up a bit before they arrive - sweep a few floors, clean the stove, etc. But I might finish the online story I'm reading first.

eta: ...and if anyone wants to refer to me as an antisocial bastard I can only reply "Yup."

[ 14. May 2014, 04:29: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

At least they're coming back for a Good Reason. [Smile]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So there I was, earlier today, at the bus stop with the Elf Lass in the pram. A little girl was also there with her mum, and the girl was happily peering in the pram, chattering away about her baby brother and her entire extended family (I did say to her mum I was glad there wasn't a test), and asking me questions about the Elf Lass, when she came out with the immortal line:

"So are you the baby's granny, or her mummy?"

Sigh. I suppose I should be pleased it's taken this long for someone to ask (and at least I can take comfort from the fact that her mum was more embarrassed than I was!).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darllenwr has been watching 70's cartoons on Youtube. I now have "Catch the pigeon" as an earworm [Waterworks]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
So there I was, earlier today, at the bus stop with the Elf Lass in the pram. A little girl was also there with her mum, and the girl was happily peering in the pram, chattering away about her baby brother and her entire extended family (I did say to her mum I was glad there wasn't a test), and asking me questions about the Elf Lass, when she came out with the immortal line:

Sigh. I suppose I should be pleased it's taken this long for someone to ask (and at least I can take comfort from the fact that her mum was more embarrassed than I was!).

Oh dear, poor jack the lass, how disconcerting! But remember a very small girl is unlikely to be very discerning at guessing the apparent age of adults...

I posit that it was Much Worse when I went with my sister to pick up her children from their school. My sister is 11 years younger than me. One of my sister's acquaintances (she swore not an actual friend, just as well!!) saw me with her and said,
"Oh, is your mother visiting you?"
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I still don't think I've got over it.

--------------------
Pondering.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cara:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

Oh dear, poor jack the lass, how disconcerting! But remember a very small girl is unlikely to be very discerning at guessing the apparent age of adults...

I posit that it was Much Worse when I went with my sister to pick up her children from their school. My sister is 11 years younger than me. One of my sister's acquaintances (she swore not an actual friend, just as well!!) saw me with her and said,
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Long ago and far away, I was pushing my brother in his pushchair (rather than over a cliff, which might have been my preference) and a woman asked if I was his mother.

I was 13 [Mad] and a young-looking 13 at that [Mad]

(and let me tell you that in those days, if a 13-year-old had had a child, they would NOT have been out in public together!)

Mrs. S, who waited another 17 years for her own little boy [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You're right about kids not having a clue about how old adults are. Just after I left school (aged 18) I arranged to go into my old primary school to do "observation" as I was (then) planning on a career in teaching. On the last day of term I had a P.7 class (12-year-olds) and we were having a fairly random discussion - the way you do at the end of term. One of the girls inevitably asked me, "Miss Piglet, how old are you?" I asked her how old she thought I was - she started at 40 and worked her way down. [Eek!]

On another occasion, D's organ scholar met my sister and asked if we were twins. We do look quite alike, but as she's 6½ years older than me I was not amused.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes!

When I was 11 I went to stay with a lovely lady called Eileen for six weeks (we had returned from South Africa, where I was brought up, but our house was not ready)

When I was chatting to Mum about her afterwards Mum said "How old do you think Eileen is?" I said "25". She was 60! But she was so bubbly and lively I simply assumed she was as young as she acted.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cara:

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'm the joint youngest of 8 children and my sisters were aged 11 and 12 when I was born. They spent their teens being tutted at for being teenaged mothers to us twins [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After my mum died we spent several days installing my eldest brother in an alms house flat. He is 13 years my senior and looks older. He was chatting to someone there as we were unloading the van and when I went across to say hello he was asked, "And is this your little girl?" [Big Grin]

(His response - "My sister." [Roll Eyes] )

Nen - possessed of both smooth complexion and youthful exuberance.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Mum had me at 21 and has always looked youthful. She's 81 now and looks at least 10 years younger.
As a result she has been assumed to be my sister all my life.
This is great, for her! [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's almost 14 years between my niece and nephew. People often assumed that my niece was the teenage mother of her wee brother and their mother was the granny. This was often accompanied by tuts and general disapproval. I'm not sure who hated it more - my niece or her mum.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When my younger nephew was a baby, and they were home in Orkney on holiday, my sister suggested that as I was going shopping (the main street is about 10 minutes' walk from the Piglet ancestral pile), I should take him in his pram "to give him a bit of air".

I was 20 and single, and in Orkney everyone knows everyone else: how I wish I'd had the wit to put a sign on the pram saying "IT'S MY SISTER'S".

In other news, things are beginning to happen with getting the renovations chez Piglet finished - as it was a lovely day today (and an even better forecast for tomorrow) Bill's been finishing off the outside work that's been waiting for ever (and finally took away his 20-foot ladder that's been cluttering up our living/dining room). [Yipee]

An old university friend of D's is coming over from Bristol on Sunday and stopping here en route to somewhere in Canada so at least we should be able to have him round for dinner (he's staying in a hotel which is just as well, as the spare room's in bits). As Monday's a holiday here we'll be able to take him round and show him the place a bit - there's a good crop of icebergs this year which should impress ... [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from an exhausting - but ultimately satisfying - day kitting out a friend for her only daughter's wedding in July. She isn't very interested in clothes, but her sister would always drag her out and make her try on things - only her sister died of brain cancer not very long ago [Eek!]

So my friend F. and I dragged her all round closest Big City and managed to get a complete outfit, dress, pashmina, bag and shoes (which were the hardest part [Ultra confused] ), plus a few additional bits. Not sure she's ever bought so many clothes in one fell swoop!

She's delighted and we are happy but footsore!

Mrs. S, stylist to the stars [Cool]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like a great day Intrepid Mrs S. I had a very happy day taking my mother in law out to buy an outfit for my wedding. We went into every shop in posh small town , going back in the end to the most friendly and asking their advice. MiL is only about 4' 7' so finding somethign was tricky, but we got her a geat shift dress and jacket in the end. I also ended up with a dress I liked rather better than my actual wedding dress, but that's by the by.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I always enjoy an excuse to go clothes shopping. [Hot and Hormonal] I've had a couple of v. enjoyable shopping trips with my m-i-l, including the one to kit me out for my s-i-l's wedding.

We're going to a wedding when we're in Orkney in early September; I saw a dress that looked rather appealing on the Monsoon web-site, and I'm wondering if I dare leave actually buying it until we get over there. I'm trying to balance the possible outcomes:

(a) it'll be sold out [Frown]
(b) it'll be there but not in my size [Waterworks]
(c) it'll be reduced in price [Cool]
(d) it'll be reduced in price and fit me [Yipee]

In other news, the temperature reached 18°C here today. [Yipee]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Might Monsoon reserve you one, piglet?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I don't know - We're not going to be over until the end of August, which might be a bit of a stretch for a "layaway" as they call it here.

Also, I've never bought anything there before, so I don't know whether their sizes are generous or mean*. I toyed with the idea of getting my sister or sister-in-law to go and try one on and use their judgement as to whether they thought it'd fit me! Their web-site has a rather complicated-looking dress-measuring link on it - I might see if I can get that to work.

Much Tidying* has been done chez Piglet today, and the top-floor bathroom is coming on slowly; Bill says he'll be back in the morning to finish it, but I'll believe that when I see it. At least the place is just about civilised enough now that I won't be mortified to ask anyone in ...

* which sounds as if it ought to be a village in Gloucestershire. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My niece here, the one who got married last year, is 6 months pregnant so there was a little get together today which, you will not be too surprised to hear, also included quite a lot of rather nice food. Niece cooked the payasam [pudding]. Her hubby's sister and hubby were there complete with their 10 month old little one, who was a bit of a sweetie - he contemplated this strange white guy for while then gave me a big smile. Quite often kids see me and scream so it was a bit of a relief.

Niece's hubby's sister is already pregnant again so it looks as if there will be plenty of playmates around for my ninth great-nephew/niece* when the time comes.

*my first Indian one, the others are all in UK.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I, for one don't blame him if he does scream. Did you bribe him with a toy?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, Daughter Erin used to work for Monsoon so I was in there any chance I got to use her friends and family discount! [Big Grin]
I used to go down a size in their clothes as they are slightly generous.
By the end of August this season will have gone into sale, so I say go for it and place your order!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Presumably if I placed an order now I'd have to pay whatever the current price is. It's not horrendously expensive, but obviously the less I have to pay the happier I'll be - I am Scottish after all ... [Big Grin]

D's friend arrived this afternoon for a few days but sadly summer was yesterday. St. John's was living up to its nickname of Fog City, and you could see the end of your nose, but not much else.

We took him to the Irish Loop coffee house for a late lunch, and then he came and sang with the choir for Evensong, which was nice (we were a bit short-handed with it being a long weekend, and I had to sing soprano, which was fun).

We'll take him out and about somewhere tomorrow - we'll decide where depending on the weather. We're feeding him in the evening - I'll set a beef casserole going in the slow-cooker before we set out and it should be ready when we get back.

I'm heading off to bed now as I didn't get my usual Sunday afternoon snooze ... [Snore]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying to madly catch up after a weekend on Guide Camp - straight from w*rk on Friday, home Sunday afternoon at 5:30pm and started on the washing and clearing away.

We were doing I'm a Guide Get Me Out of Here based on the Celebrity thing that I never watch, so I wasn't a lot of use when we had borderline decisions to make. However, we learned a few things: edible poo floats very realistically, stars in balloons with jelly fly a long way and are much harder to find than those in balloons with flour or bird seed (and getting the stars into the balloons in the first place is a real fiddle), some Guides love cleaning and others are a challenge to "persuade" to take their turn ...

Some of the girls were very happy to go to bed at 9:30pm on Saturday after a full day of activities and a really late night on Friday night, but there was a little group who were determined to stay up all night. I was evil enough to tell them that hostel manners mean that dorms are for sleeping and partying and noise has to happen in communal areas. I don't think I'd have been quite so mean if we hadn't had a couple not feeling brilliant. One is very allergic to cats, and although the dorms were allocated to give a cat free dorm, keeping that segregation wasn't working, so I was having to dose her with anti-histamine fairly regularly and limit the damage, plus a girl being pretty unpleasant to several others out of sight, so we were getting stricter about dorms not being places to go and hang out in. There were 5 or 6 who I kept up until their eyes drooped, then fed them one at a time into the dorms where the girls who had gone to bed willingly were sleeping, gave them 10-15 minutes to fall asleep before I put another to bed, but it still took until 11:30pm until the last keeled over.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Lord, thank for the sunshine, but could you please turn the thermostat down a bit? Yesterday was a 3 t-shirt day and today, wearing a suit & tie, is rather less than comfortable.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

It's going to be generally cooler tomorrow, I think.

In other news, yesterday I decided to wash a silk dressing gown I own but seldom wore as it was rather too big. I washed it on 40 degrees, higher than recommended [Eek!] and it's now the ideal size. [Big Grin]

Nen - enjoying an evening Home Alone and feeling decadently luxurious in silk. [Biased]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did the colour run, Nen? I washed a bright pink silk shirt, by mistake I must add, at 40C, with the result that I had an interesting collection of shocking pink undies! [Eek!]

Wet today, but I must say the garden looks better for it!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I indulged in a trip to the second hand and remainders bookshop today, it's a treat I give myself two or three times a year, and I only spent about founds pounds and came away with two absolutely mint book, one a well illustrated guide to photography and the other a rather nicely bound hardcover Wind in the Willows to replace the paperback I bought in 1968 for 3 shillings and 6 pence, which has been past it's best before date for decades.

A most satisfying little expedition.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... and the other a rather nicely bound hardcover Wind in the Willows to replace the paperback I bought in 1968 for 3 shillings and 6 pence, which has been past it's best before date for decades.

I still have my copy from the 60s as well, with those lovely illustrations. The pages are a bit yellowed now but it has been much loved over the years.

In fact I still have quite a few of my childhood books from the 60s, including the boxed set of Narnia Chronicles and the Alan Garners, that still get read from time to time.

(And you won't be able to do that with an e-reader, 50 years on.)

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I have few of my original childhood books as space was precious at home with eight children. When my sons were younger I bought them a lot of my childhood favourites but now I buy what I can on my kindle and my eldest son reads them on his one as we share the account (luckily I like Asimov and Huxley). My youngest is currently reading the Phoenix and the Carpet on the school issued kindle. The kindle has revolutionised my boys' reading habits, they love reading on it.
I still buy a lot of paper books, often history tomes and craft books but I love the convenience of my kindle, especially when on holiday as I can browse various holiday guides, take several reading books and read the paper, all in one location. I am about to buy a new Kindle cover, which looks like a classic Alice in wonderland cover.
I'm having a relaxing day today, my marking is finished until October and I set revision activities online yesterday so have little to do today. I've pottered around doing a little housework and bottling some wine and now I'm going to do some recreational sewing. Tonight we will start sewing my eldest's Tudor costume for Kentwell, he is a page so needs a formal doublet and some rather dashing paned and padded trunk hose [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

After a foggy start yesterday we took off "round the bay" to a rather pretty cataract called the Cascades, with boardwalks and steps where you can cross them, and while we were there the sun came out. [Yipee]

Then back to ours for dinner - we had a change of plan because the shops were closed by the time D. went to look for beef, so we did casserole with a ready-cooked chicken we had in the fridge.

He's taking us out for dinner this evening - probably to Bacalao, a really good restaurant that specialises in local cuisine, but with a modern twist, and situated just up the road from our house.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

When I lived in Birkenhead I had several pretty good restaurants in staggering distance - it is a wonderful luxury.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Did the colour run, Nen?

Yes. Fortunately I washed it with reds and pinks and it's just a shade or two lighter than it was. [Biased]

Ah, The Wind in the Willows. I've got a copy of that lovely hardback edition too, and a small paperback one which I take with me when abroad (which is fortunately not often as I dislike travelling). I always get very homesick for England when I'm away, and it's so quintessentially English.

I also love it because it's about friendship, and about finding your way back home.

Nen - home-lover. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
When I lived in Birkenhead I had several pretty good restaurants in staggering distance - it is a wonderful luxury.

We have one - run by Sri Lankans and it is just excellent!

[Smile]

Note to self - must go soon!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May I chime in re Wind in the Willows? I am thinking of getting an audiobook version but can't decide which.

I sleep badly and I find it comforting to have a well-known audiobook burbling away. I've gone through 'Little Women' loads now and always seem to wake up at the same bits ...! So thinking of adding Wind in the Willows.

It must be unabridged - with books I know that well, the missing bits will annoy me. It must be read by a male voice - partly because it's a very male story, but also because my dad used to read it to me.

I have listened to a few previews on iTunes. Richard Briers could be good but I wasn't sure about his Mole voice. Michael Hordern possibly, although in my head he is always Paddington! Alan Bennet would be great but I can't find an unabridged version on there.

Any ideas welcome!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

What a lovely idea Gill H! No suggestions - but keep us posted [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
It must be unabridged - with books I know that well, the missing bits will annoy me.

This is the clincher. It's surprising how many audiobooks are abridged - I don't know why, it feels like a real con and can take the heart out of a book. It's also unfair on people who might be unable to read the printed book for themselves and get a sanitized version.

A while ago I bought a copy of John Masefield's "The Box of Delights" which was actually a printed version, but turned out to be an abridged one. All the beautiful bits I'd enjoyed, the little digressions, had all been axed. What was left was straightforward narrative, which had lost all the poetic bits so characteristic of the author that had made the book a pleasure to read. Audiobooks strike me as similar, which is why I stopped trying to buy them.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016