homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree, simplicity is the key.

In other news the nights will be drawing in...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aggh nights drawing in. Always makes me feel a bit sad as I like long light evening and never feel I make the most of them.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Sir Woderwick the Optimistic strikes again ... [Big Grin]

The barbecue and auction went really well: it was well-attended, and although it had rained a bit during the day, the sun came out and it really couldn't have been better. D. made an excellent auctioneer - I think his dad would have been proud - and I acted as a porter.

Patronal Festival services dispatched fairly hitchlessly, especially Evensong featuring (obviously) Gibbons' This is the record of John, with solo piglet.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shaddup, Wodders and Gussie - and don't encourage them, piglet. The nights don't "draw in" till after the equinox. So there.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
What irritated me were the ads for Mother of the Bride outfits, modelled by girls younger than my daughter! [Mad] and featuring unreasonable amounts of black, or mushroom [Projectile] Seriously, who wants to look like the Black Widow at her daughter's wedding?

Mrs. S, still snarling

Bridezilla alert: women who turn up in black to my wedding will be refused admittance [Snigger] (more seriously, there will be a dress code note in the invite saying no black on women please thank you kindly). I don’t care if it’s fashionable. Where were you people dragged up? YOU DON’T TURN UP TO A WEDDING DRESSED FOR A FUNERAL!! (rant over)

Other exciting news: my cello teacher might be turning up to play the incidental music [Yipee] (I didn’t ask – he offered, but I don’t think he realises just how far away from Paris it’s going to be). He is a national conservatoire teacher and international soloist. If he can make it, I am going to ask him to play Elgar (Salut d’Amour) on account of my being English. Failing that I have another friend who can play it on the violin but… international soloist, baby. He plays the cello like a flippin’ *angel*.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
... don't encourage them, piglet. The nights don't "draw in" till after the equinox. So there.

That wasn't meant to be encouragement - it was meant to be ridicule. [Snigger]

I quite agree with you about the equinox. Growing up as far from the equator as I did (59°N), I found that the short winter days were more than compensated for by the long summer ones (and TBH winter isn't quite the same without the short days).

[ 23. June 2014, 14:05: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
[QUOTE]Bridezilla alert: women who turn up in black to my wedding will be refused admittance [Snigger] (more seriously, there will be a dress code note in the invite saying no black on women please thank you kindly). I don’t care if it’s fashionable. Where were you people dragged up? YOU DON’T TURN UP TO A WEDDING DRESSED FOR A FUNERAL!! (rant over)

LVER, long ago a very dear friend had her mother-in-law-to-be turn up to the wedding wearing a dark grey suit, black shoes and stockings, and a black hat WITH A VEIL! She really did look like Keep Death Off the Roads!

My friend's charitable explanation was that her MiL was German and maybe they did things differently there [Killing me]

Mrs. S, who would have been much less generous

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once attended a wedding where the groom's 14-year-old daughter wore black.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is why teenaged daughters should be pressganged into being bridesmaids and wear a dress of the bride's choosing. [Two face]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This is why teenaged daughters should be pressganged into being bridesmaids and wear a dress of the bride's choosing. [Two face]

In this particular situation, it was a success that she attended the wedding at all.

Her parents divorced by mutual agreement, and the new wife had nothing to do with the breakup.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

of the bride's choosing You think??? and it still wouldn't stop them dyeing their hair orange to go with the pink dress!

Miss S saved a small fortune (and various relationships with her adult friends) by going for two flower girls and leaving it at that - no arguments over colours/styles and no costs in terms of hair, nails, make-up [Yipee] LVER, what bridesmaids are you having?

Mrs. S, who was standing in as matron of honour [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

The mornings draw in first. Sunset still gets later for a wee while yet.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
quote:

of the bride's choosing You think??? and it still wouldn't stop them dyeing their hair orange to go with the pink dress!

Miss S saved a small fortune (and various relationships with her adult friends) by going for two flower girls and leaving it at that - no arguments over colours/styles and no costs in terms of hair, nails, make-up [Yipee] LVER, what bridesmaids are you having?

Mrs. S, who was standing in as matron of honour [Overused]

Actually now you mention it, there is indeed a teenage daughter to be taken into account. I was joking before, but only partly [Snigger]

It’s fine actually. She and I get on pretty well, considering how she’s going through a major episode of being a teenager right now [Biased] . We told her that if she wants to be a bridesmaid (which she does because it makes her feel important) she needs to be wearing the same colour dress (gold) as the other bridesmaids, because that’s how these things work, and she just sort of went “oh, ok then, if you say so”. Anyway I think she quite likes the idea of having her frock specially made for her.

The chief bridesmaid/witness* is my best friend, who is a professional designer/pattern maker. She is going to make the dresses for herself, the Stroppy Teenager™ and the third bridesmaid/witness, who is my other best friend. There are also two small bridesmaids, my friends’ two little girls. The family is from Madagascar. They will be dressed in red and with their dark skin and black hair and black eyes they are going to look adorable.

*French wedding terminology: because of strict separation of church/state the only marriage that the French authorities recognise is the civil one carried out in your local town hall by the mayor. After that you can go and hold any kind of religious festivities you feel like, anywhere you feel like and with whomever you feel like, but they don’t have any legal value.

For the marriage at the town hall, each partner must have one or two witnesses, or the marriage isn’t valid. “Bridesmaids” are a thing here these days, but the idea is pretty much an Anglo-Saxon import. The really big deal is when you get to be bride’s/groom’s witness.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reminded of a friend's teenaged brother who announced that if he had to go to her wedding then he would track down and wear powder-blue morning dress.

Friend went berserk of course - weeping, wailing, gnashing teeth, full works. Younger sister, wise beyond her years, did two things: (1) Got his school tails cleaned pdq, and (2) Found and hired powder-blue set.

When brother appeared on day before the wedding in the offending outfit even he had to admit he looked a bit like Peter Rabbit so he worse the same as everyone else.

Of course, what everyone remembers about that wedding is that the bride's mother wore a dress that looked like camouflage netting - in over 40 years of playing for weddings I've never seen a nastier.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I couldn't persuade D. to wear morning dress for our wedding, even when I pointed out that he wore it for his sister's wedding the year before. As he said, "when my sister tells you to jump, you ask what height".

I'm not as bossy as that. [Angel]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been dragged, kicking and screaming, into doing more tuition in maths - I have a 11/12 year old [Year 7] lad who I took for an hour or so last night. He is really good and really keen but, like any boy that age, tends to rush things a bit and make silly mistakes - a bit like me, really.

I'm not sure what I can teach him apart from what exams are all about but I think it will be fun.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Palma, Majorca with five girl friends. Super hotel with great views. Lots of sightseeing and sunbathing!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Behave yourself, Boogie! [Biased]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Why?

I think she should concentrate on having fun - then go to confession afterwards, if the priest/minister/pastor has a spare few hours/days/weeks to listen to her.

Boogie, don't do the full public confession in front of the congregation, you might shock the old ladies - on second thoughts, they are unshockable but you might shock the youth group!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Have a great holiday, Boogie! [Smile]

I'm going to have to make a lot of soups and casseroles - I had the bones of two chickens in the freezer and last night turned them into what appears to be gallons of stock - therapeutic soup-making will have to ensue this evening.

In other news, the Weather Channel says it's going to be 27°C on Tuesday, and feel like 30.

[Eek!] [Waterworks]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Make sure to wear a fleece, toque and gloves!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't forget to save some of the stock for risottos, particularly if it's on the light but well gelled side. Much better than any bought could be.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I really must try my hand at risotto some time; I do a cracker of a chicken paella, and D. does a magic chicken casserole, both from Save with Jamie by Jamie Oliver, but I've never tried a proper risotto.

I made veggie soup last night which we had for lunch today, to much appreciation from D. (and it was rather good, though I say it what shouldn't).

Lovely sunny day here - the Weather Channel said it was only 12° but I reckon it was a lot warmer than that.

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never understood all the mystique about risotto. I mean, isn't it just a savoury rice pudding???? [Devil]

To be honest all that stirring has put me off in the past. I have done it and it was nice, but not worth spending that amount of time stirring on a regular basis.

I am sure I read somewhere the Blessed Delia (Delia Smith) advocating a cheat's way of just bunging it in the oven just like a rice pudding.

That sounds good.

[ 29. June 2014, 07:18: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Provided you use arborio rice, I've found you can cut back on the stirring. Soften the onion and then add the rice and turn for a minute or two, then the glug of white wine/dry vermouth and stir until that is gone - but after that I find you can bung in the rest of the stock and leave it. Bar putting in other ingredients in order of their cooking times, of course.

I use a heavy wok-type pan on top of the stove.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
I've never understood all the mystique about risotto. I mean, isn't it just a savoury rice pudding???? [Devil]

Pretty much. I used to make one years ago, with leftover chicken bits, peas, onions, white wine and stock, and some grated cheese on the top, but went off it after a while. Risotto makes the rice a bit too mushy for me; I'd rather have a good pilau instead.

[ 29. June 2014, 07:58: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fry mine initially and then put it in the oven.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

If doing it on the stove top then I think a heavy pan is part of the answer Le Creuset would be ideal - that and a fairly low heat.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Le creuset is always ideal... [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know some people like them, but Le Creuset pans are too heavy for me. I'll stick with my trusty lightweight frying pan, in which I've cooked many a good meal.

I used to do a Turkish risotto which involved, amongst other things, chicken livers, tomato puree and a quantity of dill. It takes a bit of care to get it exactly right, but it's quite nice (if rich), when you do.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
I am sure I read somewhere the Blessed Delia (Delia Smith) advocating a cheat's way of just bunging it in the oven just like a rice pudding.

That sounds good.

She did, and it is - a risotto carbonara, and it works a treat. I put mushrooms in as well, can't think why she didn't [Roll Eyes]

PM me if you want the recipe [Smile]

Mrs. S, all for an easy life [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She also does a mushroom one, with Marsala in it. Delicious!
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Risotto is my 'signature' dish. I'm rather partial to one with butternut squash, kale and a lot of cream.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

That sounds good.

She did, and it is - a risotto carbonara, and it works a treat. I put mushrooms in as well, can't think why she didn't [Roll Eyes]

PM me if you want the recipe [Smile]

Mrs. S, all for an easy life [Big Grin]

Thank you! PM on its way

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IME the best rice variety for risotto is Maratelli, but since its virtually impossible to find in the UK I try to use Carnaroli or Vialone Nano.

Yes, Arborio is widely available and described as risotto rice but the grains tend to lose shape and definition in the cooking - and its also pretty tasteless.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You just can't make risotto in the oven. You can make sweet or savoury rice puddings that way and if you want to beat a couple of eggs into it, it would be a rice custard. If you made it a bit differently, it could be a gratin - a friend flashed a gratin recipe with some suggested variations around recently. But not a risotto.

I'd go along with Firenze about putting all the stock in at once, as long as it's already boiling when you put it in, and you stir it around very well.

Another thing - risotto has to be made freshly. You can't half make it and leave it to finish off when guests arrive. And you can't have leftover risotto either. You can take any leftovers (there won't be leftovers if you've made it properly) and turn them into something else, but it won't be risotto

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which reminds me, is turkey the single most disappointing meat in existence?

We had a thigh joint for dinner: I stuffed it with onion, lemon and herb, wrapped it in smoky bacon, drenched it in wine and clementine edged gravy - and it was just OK. Nothing to write home about.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite enjoy soup made with turkey thigh bones but have often found it fairly bland as a meal in itself.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Turkey is even more boring than chicken, which is often just a vehicle for the sauce or other flavourings that you put with it. Personally, I won't buy it.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Which reminds me, is turkey the single most disappointing meat in existence?

Yes.

I eat it twice a year - Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day*, because we're guests of friends who Do Things Traditionally.

In other news, the sun seems to have come out - it's a glorious day, with forecasts in the mid-20s for the rest of the week (too hot).

* in Canada this means Harvest Festival, and falls in early October, but turkey-and-the-trimmings is the traditional fare.

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I never eat turkey if I can help it. Certainly never buy it. It has always seemed tasteless to me.

I don't know if it was ever flavoursome and all the taste got bred out of it in order to provide cheap turkey, or if it was always tasteless but a convenient source of protein for feeding large quantities.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey hey Shipmates!

I have returned from fun and sun with five girl friends in Majorca. We had plenty of wine, did some sightseeing and lots of lying reading by the pool. And FAR to much chatting!

I'm home alone now as Mr Boogs is on another Epic Bike Trip (Amsterdam to Salzburg then to Venice over the Alps) so I have peace and quiet to read the Ship and recover!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You sound to have had a great time, Boogie! We won't ask too many questions about the wine etc.!! [Biased]

Mr. B is a great cyclist! How long is that going to take him? Sounds like a lot of hard work to me!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

The holiday sounds great Boogie.

[ 01. July 2014, 12:59: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
What irritated me were the ads for Mother of the Bride outfits, modelled by girls younger than my daughter! [Mad] and featuring unreasonable amounts of black, or mushroom [Projectile] Seriously, who wants to look like the Black Widow at her daughter's wedding?

Bridezilla alert: women who turn up in black to my wedding will be refused admittance [Snigger] (more seriously, there will be a dress code note in the invite saying no black on women please thank you kindly). I don’t care if it’s fashionable. Where were you people dragged up? YOU DON’T TURN UP TO A WEDDING DRESSED FOR A FUNERAL!! (rant over)
Whereas at the end of August I will be maid of honour (/chief bridesmaid/bride's witness/etc) at a wedding where the bride has asked me to wear black, because her own dress is black and red and we should match - and because she likes her friends and wants them to look like themselves. I've never been to a wedding where nobody wore any black, and I only own one dress that isn't myself.

If I marry, I shall wear ivory with black accents and my own bridesmaids/tablecloths/etc will all be in black.

Besides, it's only a rule for women - nope, nothing even remotely problematic there, right [Roll Eyes]

[ 01. July 2014, 13:16: Message edited by: Persephone Hazard ]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Nothing at all to do with brides' outfits... when I retired from paid work a year ago, I dispensed with the services of our cleaners, who'd been cleaning the place for years. Honestly, with two healthy adults with nothing to do and all day to do it in, I couldn't justify paying someone else to clean.

Now it's the only thing I know that reminds me what it was like to be young - nothing gets cleaned until visitors heave into view!

With most of the family descending on us at the weekend for the Dowager's 90th birthday celebrations, I'm worn out with the hoovering [Roll Eyes] and lest you should think that Mr. S is slumped in front of the telly throwing beer cans at the football, he's on lawn-mowing detail [Devil]

Mrs. S - you wear your fingers to the bone, and what do you get to show for it? Bony fingers [Killing me]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm delighted to find someone else who subscribes to Piglet's Cleaning Philosophy, i.e. only do it when you have to. And as for hoovering - that's D's job, especially since he invested in a cordless Dyson, which he thinks is the dog's b*ll*cks. [Big Grin]

"lawn-mowing" ... [scratches head] ... [Confused]

V. warm and sunny day here - it's a public holiday (Canada Day), but I'm at w*rk, putting in some extra hours so that I can take holidays later in the summer.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I'm delighted to find someone else who subscribes to Piglet's Cleaning Philosophy, i.e. only do it when you have to.

Nen's is even better - don't do it, even when you should.

I do mow the lawns, though. For the past few years we've had handy professionals who have all the proper equipment (not that sort of equipment [Biased] ) who come and Do Things to the lawns periodically and we have proper grass instead of moss and dandelions. So it's worth looking after. Plus, it's one of the few things I do round the house that Mr Nen notices and thanks me for doing. [Biased]

Nen - housework won't kill you but why take the chance?

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I'm delighted to find someone else who subscribes to Piglet's Cleaning Philosophy, i.e. only do it when you have to.

Nen's is even better - don't do it, even when you should.
Cleaning needs to meet several criteria before it gets done:

1) It ought to be done.
2) You have time to do it.
3) Any further procrastination begins to pose a health hazard
4) You start to run out of things to cook with or put food on.

However, all these can be superseded by criterion z) Mum's coming to visit.

An interesting corollary of 4) is a variation of Jane Austen's philosophy and is, in my view, far more profound:
quote:
It is a truth universally acknowledged that there is no such thing as too many teaspoons.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:

Besides, it's only a rule for women - nope, nothing even remotely problematic there, right [Roll Eyes]

What if the women cross-dressed? Then could they wear black? [Two face]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016